Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:00:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Do our Courts require us to Sin?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do our Courts require us to Sin?  (Read 5007 times)
Sammy

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2003, 01:25:50 PM »

If i understand correctly then its a Sin to swear on the Bible.  

Matthew 5 33

33Again ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, "thall shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the lord thine oaths:

34But I say unto you, 'swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is gods throne;

35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by jerussalem; for it is the city of the great king.

36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst make one hair white or Black.

37 But let your communication be Yea, yea; Nay, nay; for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

Next time you give evidence:  affirm I guess.  It cant be right.  I think it's probably a suggestion.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2003, 02:37:55 PM by Sammy » Logged
Bronzesnake
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2003, 02:05:38 PM »

Here's somthing that should concern you more than that Sammy...

Rev 3:15   I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.  

Rev 3:16   So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth
Sammy

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2003, 02:34:46 PM »

Yeah.  So you're saying I am good and evil?  Or neither good nor evil?  That's probably true of everyone.  
« Last Edit: May 03, 2003, 02:39:59 PM by Sammy » Logged
Bronzesnake
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2003, 02:54:03 PM »

Yeah.  So you're saying I am good and evil?  Or neither good nor evil?  Am I neutral then?  How so?

No Sammy, only God decides those issues, I find you to be very personable at times, even likeable, but you seem confused as to God's Word. I am a Christian, I believe the bible to be God's unaltered message to mankind. Today we have many so called Christian leaders and denominations that water down God's Word and pick and choose which parts of God's Word that best suit their lifestyles. We have some very destructive groups such as the Jesus seminar, who have whittled away at the bible, deciding which parts are fact and which fiction. This pompous attitude attempts to supercede God's authority, and many week and lax Christians will suffer God's judgement because they chose man's interpretations over God's authority.

I believe that a God who can create the entire universe and all life forms has the power to give us His Word, and maintain it as it was originally presented. That Word is the Bible.
Some groups such as the Witnesses have altered the bible greatly, but the original ancient documents are still available for cross reference in over 24,000 copies, so there is no excuse for falling for any revised false teachings.
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2003, 03:30:01 PM »

Sammy, I think in American courts the swearing on the bible thing is optional.  They allow you to just take an oath--no bible, if you prefer, I think.
Sammy

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2003, 04:09:50 PM »

Re Bronzesnake:  There are many possible interpretations of the Bible.  How would you go about decifering it in the Way God intended?

Re: Symphony. They do but If its a Sin I'm not sure they should be asking us to do it.  
« Last Edit: May 03, 2003, 04:15:38 PM by Sammy » Logged
Bronzesnake
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2003, 06:08:10 PM »

Re Bronzesnake:  There are many possible interpretations of the Bible.  How would you go about decifering it in the Way God intended?

Re: Symphony. They do but If its a Sin I'm not sure they should be asking us to do it.  

The Bible interprets itself.
Saved_4ever
Gold Member

A KJV bible believing Christian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2003, 12:35:35 AM »

The Bible interprets itself.

Only to saved biblicist's.  Everyone else tosses in extra things.

Guilo

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2003, 10:45:07 AM »

Actually most courts dont do that anymore.  They say "under penalty of perjury."
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2003, 08:43:52 PM »

Many of the courts also use the terminology "swear or affirm". By the way, taking an oath with your hand on a Holy Bible is not taking the Lord's Name in vain. The Bible refers to cursing and using the Lord's Name in vain, not taking an oath. However, lying under oath would be a different story.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the