Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:58:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Whos your Favotire Christian author?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Whos your Favotire Christian author?  (Read 13731 times)
Sandra

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2008, 01:58:32 AM »

Mine is Traci Peterson

Sandra
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 04:51:38 PM »

I would have to say Paul.   Grin

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 12:31:41 PM »

Mine is Traci Peterson

I would have to say Paul.   Grin

I guess you should've specified, besides the writers of the Bible, Sandra!  I like many but I always enjoy Max Lucado.  I'm just starting, today in fact, "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis.  My son raved about it so much on our visit that I went out and bought it!  I also got a big kick out of C.S. Lewis' "Screwtape Letters"!
Like I say though, I like many and read alot.  I'm also reading "Mind Siege" by LaHaye which is just excellent.
In Christ,
Grammyluv

Let us fight the good fight!
Sandra

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 02:17:38 PM »

yes,I should of specified im  sorry  lol

Sandra
Joey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 02:09:04 PM »

Steve Farrar.....Great books for Christian men
David_N

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 08:30:24 AM »

Not a very original choice but definitely C S Lewis for me. And, yes, I've read the Screwtape letters. Very thought-provoking.
MDavidson

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 10:31:01 PM »

My favorite author of Christian parenting books is Dr. Kevin Leman.  He is pretty humorous to listen to too. Smiley

Misty Davidson
HappyGirl

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 10:15:24 PM »

I really like Randy Alcorn, Ted Dekkar-- for suspense novels. I also like Karen Kingsbury.

Probably my favorite self-help book authors that I read the most for encouragement in real life problems are Beth Moore and Joyce Meyer. I LOVE their books!

My favorite author in the Bible is probably John. I like his writing style.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 11:01:05 PM »

Hello HappyGirl and All,

I want to share a wonderful web site with everyone that has many wonderful Christian books completely free to download and enjoy.

GRACE GEMS
http://www.gracegems.org/

Normally, I couldn't post a web site address like this and obey our forum rules, but I can with this one. Everything is free and/or public domain on the web site, and there are NO requests for donations. In fact, they have a clear statement that they will REFUSE to accept any donations. What they do - they do for the LORD.

It was Grace Gems where I discovered some of my favorite authors, and most of them have been home with the LORD for many years. I don't have 100% agreement with all of the authors, but that's fine. The vast majority of the material is excellent!

One of my favorite Christian authors of all time is John MacDuff. I love his writing style and receive a blessing every time I read anything from him. Grace Gems has several of his books and devotions completely free for the taking.

Another one of my favorite Christian authors is Henry Law, and Grace Gems has a nice selection of his writings. Henry Law was an old-fashioned type teacher who took GOD'S WORD very seriously.

Two more of my favorite Christian authors also have nice selections at Grace Gems:  Favell Mortimer and Octavius Winslow.

I don't know why most of my favorite Christian authors lived in the 1800s, but I have thought about this many times. I think that it might have something to do with the purity I seem to see in their writing. Their writing is genuine in the sense that their sole motivation was loving GOD in my opinion. If you do a lot of reading like I do, you can see things like this over a period of time. I just get the feeling while reading this beautiful Christian material that it isn't soiled with the world. I would hope most Christians understand what I mean. Their perspective and sole motivation was GODLY in my opinion, and I really don't know any other way to express this feeling. You could and can see their love of GOD in their writings, and they are already home with the HOLY ONE they served. When this kind of love is shown by a servant of GOD, 100% agreement with SMALLER things isn't important. PLEASE - I'm certainly not talking about SALVATION and the GOSPEL OF THE GRACE OF GOD, rather of smaller things that we all have differences on. As an example, I'm not close to being a Calvinist, but I love the writing of C.H. Spurgeon. Charles Spurgeon loved GOD and served GOD with all of his heart, and this is beyond doubt in my opinion. I don't have to be a Calvinist to love the writing of Charles Spurgeon, and I do love the writing of Charles Spurgeon. Very little of Charles Spurgeon's writing was on Calvinism.

I really have too many favorite Christian authors to mention, and I have a huge collection that I love reading in every day.

HappyGirl, you made a point that I want to repeat and agree with. GOD'S WORD is my absolute favorite of all time, and I spend at least 80% of my time with GOD'S WORD alone. The writers were directly INSPIRED BY GOD, and it's GOD'S WORDS we are reading when we read and study the HOLY BIBLE. My favorite writer directly inspired by GOD is the Apostle Paul. For whatever reason, I seem to see him as more human - someone I can identify with and understand. I also love the portions of GOD'S WORD that GOD had Paul write. Paul had a STRUGGLE, a fight, a race, a course, and a purpose that he explained in exceptionally clear ways. Paul also talked about his weaknesses, his illness, and his times of various need. Paul was an Apostle, but he was also a man who suffered many things in the NAME OF CHRIST. Paul counted it a privilege and honor to suffer anything for the one he loved the most - JESUS CHRIST! The Apostle Paul also represents BEST the stark contrast between a lost person and the person they become when accepting JESUS CHRIST as LORD and SAVIOUR. One can also see the growth of Paul in the STRENGTH of CHRIST, and Paul teaches us from the WORDS OF GOD how we can also be STRENGTHENED IN CHRIST! The last portion of Paul's ministry was many times in pain, illness, need, imprisonment, beatings, and eventual BEHEADING! However, these hard times seemed to provide the best GOD INSPIRED messages from Paul. Physically, they were his hardest times, but SPIRITUALLY, they were Paul's best times in the LORD. These things can and do apply to us today.

1 Corinthians 8:5  For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or on earth; as there are gods many, and lords many;

1 Corinthians 8:6  yet to us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we unto him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and we through him.

What is the Apostle Paul saying above in the most plain words one could use? JESUS CHRIST WAS HIS ALL IN ALL, and JESUS CHRIST can also be our ALL IN ALL!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Proverbs 15:29 NASB  29  The LORD is far from the wicked, But He hears the prayer of the righteous.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 11:09:31 PM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

HappyGirl

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 03:00:48 PM »

I agree, Paul is awesome. He was certainly on fire for the Lord and led by God's spirit in a way that I can only hope to attain someday.
What I love about John is how he calls us little children. How he talks so much about love. And I like how he wrote the book of Revelation (um... that was him, right? I'm certainly not an expert on the Bible) And I find John's writing style easy to understand.

Thanks for the website link. I will check it out!
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 08:56:48 PM »

Hello HappyGirl,

YES, John was the author of Revelation in my opinion, even though many want to contest this. The first 9 verses of Revelation indicate 3 times that John was the author. There is much fascinating material written by non-Bible writers of the time, but I think the Bible speaks for itself just fine. Most accurately, I think that Revelation should be known as the Revelation of JESUS CHRIST because that's what it really is. Literally and truthfully, JESUS CHRIST was the greatest Prophet by far, and not just because HE IS GOD.

I also love the writing of John, but I would have to say that "cover to cover", the Bible is beautiful and obviously Supernatural. I like to think of the HOLY BIBLE as WOVEN TOGETHER BY GOD. The Bible is it's own PROOF for absolute TRUTH. It's beyond amazing that so many writers over such a lengthy period of time could ALL compliment so many other portions of Scripture by OTHER WRITERS most perfectly. This would not be possible without GOD directly involved. Otherwise, all men make frequent errors, but there isn't even one error in GOD'S WORD.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Ephesians 1:3-8 NIV  3  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.  4  For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love  5  he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will--  6  to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.  7  In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  8  that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.

HappyGirl

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 03:01:14 PM »

Yes of course ultimately it is God who wrote the Bible. That fact just awes me. I love how the Bible is just woven together perfectly from the 1st page to the last. How it just...(looking for a word)....flows. How it all comes together. I only know a tiny bit of Hebrew and Greek, what I have learned from a few Bible studies, but I love how once you start getting into those languages, it comes together even more. It is the most incredible book. I love how I can read it again and again, and discover something new every time. I think we could probably read the Bible forever, and never know everything about it. I love how its a mystery, a love story, a battle, a bit of everything, all in one. It is the ultimate book. God is the perfect Author.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 10:34:03 PM »

Hello HappyGirl,

"Flows" is a good word. I use several excellent topical references, one of my favorites being Thompson Chain Reference. It's fascinating to see that many topics involve lengthy lists of Scripture. Some of my favorite topics to explore involve comparisons between before the CROSS and after the CROSS. "Sacrifice" is one fascinating study. I was thinking about this and wanted to share it. There is the Old Testament example of "sacrifice" and burnt offerings for sin that never made GOD happy, and those things were just a "SHADOW" of things to come. The REALITY came in the New Testament - the PERFECT SACRIFICE OF JESUS CHRIST ON THE CROSS that did make GOD happy. The contrast is huge and serves as a good illustration in describing how Christians of today have PEACE with GOD. The quality of our PEACE with GOD is ONLY because of JESUS CHRIST - certainly not ourselves or anything we have done. I mentioned this because it's a beautiful Bible Study. Read Colossians 2 for a beautiful start.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Colossians 2:8  Take heed lest there shall be any one that maketh spoil of you through his philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ:

Colossians 2:9  for in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily,

Colossians 2:10  and in him ye are made full, who is the head of all principality and power:

Colossians 2:11  in whom ye were also circumcised with a circumcision not made with hands, in the putting off of the body of the flesh, in the circumcision of Christ;

Colossians 2:12  having been buried with him in baptism, wherein ye were also raised with him through faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead.

Colossians 2:13  And you, being dead through your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, you, I say, did he make alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses;

Colossians 2:14  having blotted out the bond written in ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us: and he hath taken it out that way, nailing it to the cross;

Colossians 2:15  having despoiled the principalities and the powers, he made a show of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

Colossians 2:16  Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a feast day or a new moon or a sabbath day:

Colossians 2:17  which are a shadow of the things to come; but the body is Christ's.

Colossians 2:18  Let no man rob you of your prize by a voluntary humility and worshipping of the angels, dwelling in the things which he hath seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,

Colossians 2:19  and not holding fast the Head, from whom all the body, being supplied and knit together through the joints and bands, increasing with the increase of God.

Colossians 2:20  If ye died with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, do ye subject yourselves to ordinances,

Colossians 2:21  Handle not, nor taste, nor touch

Colossians 2:22  (all which things are to perish with the using), after the precepts and doctrines of men?

Colossians 2:23  Which things have indeed a show of wisdom in will-worship, and humility, and severity to the body; but are not of any value against the indulgence of the flesh.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 10:15:59 AM »

In order...(excluding Bible writers Smiley )

Andrew Murray
T.A. Sparks
George Warnock
Watchman Nee
Spurgeon
Zac Poonen

And any of the "Deeper Life" authors whose writings pre-date..or ignore the infusion of the pop-psychology mish-mash of today.

Hello Sheep,

First, I see that you're new, so WELCOME!

I've read some of the works of the authors you have listed. There's only a couple that I'm not familiar with. I also enjoy reading the works of older authors - for the same reason you mention and others. Their works appear to be more pure, and their writings reflect their real love of the Lord. My favorite time period for authors is between the late 1600s to the late 1800s. Right now, I'm reading and studying the works of James Russell Miller and John Ross MacDuff - both from the 1800s. By the way, I've also read many of the books of Theordore Austin Sparks as an example of an excellent author of the 1900s.

The only ones I don't recognize on your list are Zac Poonen and George Warnock. I have many works on my computer from the rest of the authors you mentioned.

I sincerely hope that you enjoy Christians Unite, and I look forward to having fellowship with you.

Love In Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 11:06:44 AM »

Hello Sheep,

Thanks for the additional information. By the way, I also enjoy A.W. Tozer. Christians Unite does have a nice library of older works. A couple of other sites come to mind pretty quickly for Christian Classics:

http://www.archive.org/

http://www.ccel.org/

http://www.sermonindex.net/

Archive.org has a lot of scans of the originals in PDF format. I have some other links that I use less frequently. Overall, I'd have to say that Grace Gems is my favorite for older works:

http://www.gracegems.org/

For more recent materials, one of my favorites is the Berean Bible Society:

http://www.bereanbiblesociety.org/

Love In Christ,
Tom

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the