Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:34:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Divorce?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Divorce?  (Read 39188 times)
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2004, 07:59:11 PM »

Oh, where to start, where to start?

Petro, maybe a little set theory would help. (Or a dictionary.)   Fornication is sexual immorality.  Adultery is sexual immorality by a married person.  Fornication is the larger set, adultery is a subset of fornication.  Exactly like a square and a rectangle.  A square is a form of a rectangle - they are not two different things.  However a rectangle is not necessarily a square.  The set, "squares" is a subset of the set, "rectangles".  Or take cars as an example.  A Corvette is a car.  A car is not necessarily a Corvette.  The set, "Corvettes" is a subset of the set, "cars".

Adultery is fornication. Fornication is not necessarily adultery.  The set, "adultery" is a subset of the set, "fornication".

A person who has committed adultery has  committed fornication.  Look it up in the Greek and the Hebrew.  This is basic stuff, Petro.

These definitions are your own, the Bible defines itself, it doesn't need you to define words for it.

Besides, I would be more apt to believe it, before I would accept yours. I have given you the difference between both words even the examples of the words as used in scripture.

You are on your own , form here on..

As you can see quartus says to trust Jesus words on this matter is likened to heresy..

No, what I said was that giving the RED LETTERS more weight than the rest of Scripture is heresy.  It is a denial of the inspiration of Scripture by the Holy Spirit.

This is not an issue, unless you want to make it one as you can see, I explained this ealy, Divorce and remarriage  is a matter of the Authority of Gods word and the believers, this is clear.

Of course I believe what Jesus said and give it more weight than what others spoke, Jesus was there at the creation and knew what was in the mind of the Father when He created man in His own image.

And what Moses and all the other prophets including the Apostles have written about this matter do not supercede His Words.

That is the essential point, Petro.  What "Moses and all the other prophets including the Apostles have written " ARE the words of Jesus, every bit as much as what he uttered while here on earth.  No more, and no less.

You deviate from your point, since inspite of what the apostle has stated, the verses on which you build your re-marriage doctrine is an opinion, not a commandment, and above all else, it is clear it has nothin to do with previously married persons.

And that is fact, substantiated by RED LETTERS. Because the Creator spoke them, and if anyone knows He does.

And the Creator spoke what Paul wrote, and what Peter wrote, and what John wrote.  He spoke what Jeremiah wrote and what Isaiah wrote.  He spoke every word from Genesis 1:1 up to Revelation 22:21.   ALL carry equal weight, because they have the same Divine source.

This is the doctrine of inspiration.   To hold otherwise is heresy.

I hope this helps others on this board understand where you are coming from.  

Me thinks you need to read the passage you misinterpret and
equate as commanded by the Lord.

I was under the impression that when one took a scripture out of context,  this is where the road to heresy began.

To misinterpret and then teach the misinterpretation as gospel, causinf others to sin, is heresy.

Consider what your are saying, before make accusations..

Blessings,
Petro

Reba
« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2004, 08:04:25 PM »

2 Tim 3:16

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
KJV

Petro is some of Gods inspiration less then others?
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2004, 09:46:05 PM »

2 Tim 3:16

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
KJV

Petro is some of Gods inspiration less then others?

Clearly opinions given by the Apostle, can be used for all of these things if they are observed, and will produce Godly mresults; however, they are not equal to commandments given by the Lord.

It is a different animal.

Take Pauls advice given by opinion at the passage in question, even if one misunderstands it, and ignores it by doing his own will, thou there are consequences which will bring on difficulties, the person not observing the advice will not have broken feloowship with the Lord; while on the other hand, transgrss th Lords Commndment and you have broken fellowship with the Lord.

Will He answer prayer, while living in transgression? Maybe and maybe not, clearly there are instances where the Word explicitly states the prayers are hampoered becuse of sin.

So, its not a matter of one scripture being more inspired than another, but it has everything to do, with one being more authoritative over others.

Are you able to see the diference??  

If not, What else can I say??  That hasn't already been said.

Blessings,
Petro

Reba
« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2004, 10:41:29 PM »

Petro thank you for your honesty.

From this time forward i will reguard you as one that does not accept the Bible as the inspired word of God. I think you are wrong but it's  your business.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 10:45:46 PM by Reba » Logged
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2004, 11:04:10 PM »

Petro thank you for your honesty.

From this time forward i will reguard you as one that does not accept the Bible as the inspired word of God. I think you are wrong but it's  your business.

reba,

It matters little to me, what you will do or will not do..and never will, you have been known to be wrong before..

So what?

Blessings,

Petro

Lance

from Burnley, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2004, 08:33:02 AM »

In my humble opinion it is much better to make a wise choice in marriage in the first place than to seek a way out afterwards.  I had a wonderful marriage. Here are a few pointers for single Christians hoping to marry :

Don't Marry if : -

* both partners are still young. Marriages between two partners who are under 21 are more likely than not to end in divorce or separation.

* you feel that you had a bad relationship with either of your parents, and your prospective spouse seems to you to be someone "just like" that parent.

* you and your partner consistently seem to have difficulty accepting each other's ideas, fight most of the time, or simply don't appear to understand each other.

* conversations frequently contain any of the following phrases:
"Do you really love me?" "I wish you were more like..." "You have to give up those friends. We can only have mutual friends now."  "I can't stand it when you spend time alone reading (pursuing a hobby) (meditating) (whatever). You should spend every minute with me."

* your decision to get married has been heavily influenced by either partner's parents. Many people, seduced by the wealth, acceptance, flattery, or even cooking of a potential in-law, find themselves at the altar promising to spend their lives with someone for whom they don't have any genuine feelings.

* your partner has traits you abhor. (such as a violent temper or poor grooming habits), yet you find yourself unable to raise the issue for fear of offending.

* you find yourself being too anxious to please a partner who gives little in return, or who, you feel, makes consistently selfish demands and rarely considers your welfare.

* after extensive discussion, you're still unable to agree on where you're going to live or under what circumstances  (i.e., career changes or new income opportunities elsewhere) you would move in the future.

* your values regarding material goods are radically different. Couples often have major conflicts when they realize, after getting married, that one spouse prefers a modest standard of living, while the other insists on lavish surroundings and a steady ascent up the ladder of success.

* either partner is desperate to marry as soon as possible. Do not marry anyone out of panic or pressure from another person. No matter who's applying the pressure, and no matter what the reason (pregnancy, the need to leave home, a ticking biological clock, to fit in (all your friends are married), loneliness, fear of independence, or fear of upsetting plans already made.

These recommendations were not mine but were taken from a CorelDRAW! art form

AV Scriptures [if quoted] are courtesy of SwordSearcher. Click here for details.
Reba
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2004, 10:21:02 AM »

Lance,

Really good ideals. Welcome to the forum.

Petro,

I my post was from a sad heart.  Always being right has never been a problem to me.  Good day
Lance

from Burnley, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2004, 10:51:35 AM »

Thanks for the welcome Reba.

LOL @ your post to Petro.  Smiley

AV Scriptures [if quoted] are courtesy of SwordSearcher. Click here for details.
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2004, 12:43:19 PM »

Always being right has never been a problem to me.  Good day

reba,

That explains everything, did it ever occur to you, understanding scriptural teaching is most important, that you may be a doer, not just a hearer.

This is why christians divorce, they should be doers not just hears, and justifying oneself by cherry picking verses is not the answer.

Have a good day..

Petro

Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2004, 12:48:30 PM »

In my humble opinion it is much better to make a wise choice in marriage in the first place than to seek a way out afterwards.  I had a wonderful marriage. Here are a few pointers for single Christians hoping to marry :

Don't Marry if : -

* both partners are still young. Marriages between two partners who are under 21 are more likely than not to end in divorce or separation.

* you feel that you had a bad relationship with either of your parents, and your prospective spouse seems to you to be someone "just like" that parent.

* you and your partner consistently seem to have difficulty accepting each other's ideas, fight most of the time, or simply don't appear to understand each other.

* conversations frequently contain any of the following phrases:
"Do you really love me?" "I wish you were more like..." "You have to give up those friends. We can only have mutual friends now."  "I can't stand it when you spend time alone reading (pursuing a hobby) (meditating) (whatever). You should spend every minute with me."

* your decision to get married has been heavily influenced by either partner's parents. Many people, seduced by the wealth, acceptance, flattery, or even cooking of a potential in-law, find themselves at the altar promising to spend their lives with someone for whom they don't have any genuine feelings.

* your partner has traits you abhor. (such as a violent temper or poor grooming habits), yet you find yourself unable to raise the issue for fear of offending.

* you find yourself being too anxious to please a partner who gives little in return, or who, you feel, makes consistently selfish demands and rarely considers your welfare.

* after extensive discussion, you're still unable to agree on where you're going to live or under what circumstances  (i.e., career changes or new income opportunities elsewhere) you would move in the future.

* your values regarding material goods are radically different. Couples often have major conflicts when they realize, after getting married, that one spouse prefers a modest standard of living, while the other insists on lavish surroundings and a steady ascent up the ladder of success.

* either partner is desperate to marry as soon as possible. Do not marry anyone out of panic or pressure from another person. No matter who's applying the pressure, and no matter what the reason (pregnancy, the need to leave home, a ticking biological clock, to fit in (all your friends are married), loneliness, fear of independence, or fear of upsetting plans already made.

These recommendations were not mine but were taken from a CorelDRAW! art form

lance, welcome to the forum,

This is good advice, God knows the world needs sound advice, but if it doesn't contain principles of the Word of God, it is futile.

AAA, has a program that has adopted some biblical teachings of scripture, distorting its teaching, and leading some further from sound Biblical teaching and the principle theme of the sciprtures, unless these address the root cause, SIN, they are bound to fail.

But thanks for your post anyhow.

Petro

Lance

from Burnley, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2004, 01:23:42 PM »

Thank you for your advice Petro.  I know it doesn't contain the Word of God, BUT NEITHER DOES IT CONTRADICT IT.

You will get plenty of the Word of God before you are though with me Petro—maybe too much !  LOL

Sower

Romans 8:31-39

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2004, 01:27:27 PM »

25Now concerning the virgins (the marriageable [3] maidens) I have no command of the Lord, but I give my opinion and advice as one who by the Lord's mercy is rendered trustworthy and faithful.
26I think then, because of the impending distress [that is even now setting in], it is well (expedient, profitable, and wholesome) for a person to remain as he or she is.
27Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be free. Are you free from a wife? Do not seek a wife.
28But if you do marry, you do not sin [in doing so], and if a virgin marries, she does not sin [in doing so]. Yet those who marry will have physical and earthly troubles, and I would like to spare you that. AMP

25Now about virgins: I have no command from the Lord, but I give a judgment as one who by the Lord's mercy is trustworthy. 26Because of the present crisis, I think that it is good for you to remain as you are. 27Are you married? Do not seek a divorce. Are you unmarried? Do not look for a wife. 28But if you do marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. But those who marry will face many troubles in this life, and I want to spare you this. NIV

25   Now concerning virgins I have (26) no command of the Lord, but I give an opinion as one who (27) by the mercy of the Lord is trustworthy.
26   I think then that this is good in view of the present (28) distress, that (29) it is good for a man to remain as he is.
27   Are you bound to a wife? Do not seek to be released. Are you released from a wife? Do not seek a wife.
28   But if you marry, you have not sinned; and if a virgin marries, she has not sinned. Yet such will have trouble in this life, and I am trying to spare you. NASB

Reba:

Thanks for showing that all translations are generally in agreement. What we need to do is look at the entire chapter, and discover that Paul is addressing a variety of issues relating to marriage, but he is not necessarily making statements in a systematic or chronolical order.  Therefore I will present an expostion outline of this chapter in a spearate post.

This is just like interpretations of 1 cor. 14:4, which is acutally  a REBUKE in the context of chapters 12-14, but whiich is misinterpreted again an again as a COMMENDATION because it suits the pirposes of modern tongues-speakers.

1 Cor. 7:27-28 is an example of THE EXCEPTION which the Lord makes, and it is in the way of PERMISSION, not RECOMMENDATION. The recommendation is in verse 27, the perimission in verse 28. Why don't we just accept that as an expression of God's grace?

Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father, and Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Timothy 1:2
Reba
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2004, 03:05:39 PM »

Reba:

Thanks for showing that all translations are generally in agreement. What we need to do is look at the entire chapter, and discover that Paul is addressing a variety of issues relating to marriage, but he is not necessarily making statements in a systematic or chronolical order.  Therefore I will present an expostion outline of this chapter in a spearate post.

This is just like interpretations of 1 cor. 14:4, which is acutally  a REBUKE in the context of chapters 12-14, but whiich is misinterpreted again an again as a COMMENDATION because it suits the pirposes of modern tongues-speakers.

1 Cor. 7:27-28 is an example of THE EXCEPTION which the Lord makes, and it is in the way of PERMISSION, not RECOMMENDATION. The recommendation is in verse 27, the perimission in verse 28. Why don't we just accept that as an expression of God's grace?
Sower let me see if I understand you…. My words in bold
1 Cor 7:27-28

27 Art thou bound unto a wife? you have an exception seek not to be loosed. From this you are excepted also Art thou loosed from a wife? you have an exception  seek not a wife. From this you are excepted also

28 But and if thou marry, you have an exception  thou hast not sinned; and if a virgin marry, you have an exception  she hath not sinned you have an exception . Nevertheless such shall have trouble in the flesh: but I spare you. From this you are excepted also

KJV

I dont think so  Sower  Huh

Divorce has brought much pain to friends and family. I believe the church errors in not holding marriage to a very high standard. Please understand I also believe the church kills it’s wounded. We should support each other more so when we have stumbled, over divorce or any other problem, sin, illness fill in the words that suite ya best. I do not believe remarried live in a constant state of adultery. Nor do i think they should  live under a cloud. We are free in Christ.
Lance

from Burnley, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2004, 05:26:12 PM »

B.A.I.K. (Boy am I confused).  Reba, are you boy or girl ?

Reba
« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2004, 07:16:47 PM »

A grandma  Lance
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the