Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:03:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Divorce?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Divorce?  (Read 39207 times)
Lance

from Burnley, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2004, 02:53:48 AM »

Thanks Reba.  It's nice to know.  I try to be gentle with the fair sex but some are tougher than the men.  LOL

AV Scriptures [if quoted] are courtesy of SwordSearcher. Click here for details.
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2004, 08:44:19 PM »

Thank you for your advice Petro.  I know it doesn't contain the Word of God, BUT NEITHER DOES IT CONTRADICT IT.

You will get plenty of the Word of God before you are though with me Petro—maybe too much !  LOL

Great, But please don't change words and twist verses like michael, there....

Petro
« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 08:46:01 PM by Petro » Logged

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2004, 12:05:31 AM »

Lance In my humble opinion it is much better to make a wise choice in marriage in the first place than to seek a way out afterwards.

That was sorta my thinking.

I had a wonderful marriage.  

Um, HAD?    Huh

Folks, um, I'm thinking we're picking this baby doll to bits?   Undecided

If questions about marriage end up reducing it to technicallities, um, that's exactly what marriage is about transcending?

The rest of our lives are caught up with the "technicalities" of things--how to get along, how to do our work, how to tie our shoes.  Roll Eyes

Marriage is about loving each other.  Walking in His spirit apart and then, when you meet, and marry, walking in His spirit together.

And then, it's a model of our relationship with Him.  

If one breaks it off, does that change my relationship with Him?

(hint:  "no")

Isn't marriage just a "type" of a larger reality?     Smiley

« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 12:20:11 AM by Symphony » Logged
Lance

from Burnley, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2004, 01:19:34 AM »

Yes Symphony "HAD" as you say.  The reaper called and whisked her away.
Job 1:21 ....... Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.
Amen

AV Scriptures [if quoted] are courtesy of SwordSearcher. Click here for details.
Tameka Norris

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2004, 08:18:06 AM »

I would like to also add a little something concerning adultery being an acceptable reason for divorce that an evangelist also said to me that makes it a little clearer. She said that adultery is an acceptable reason for divorce, but if it was a mistake and you can forgive the person and stay married God would prefer that. But if the person has made a lifestyle out of being an adulterer those are more along the terms in which getting a divorce from an adulterous mate are acceptable. But of course like most people stated God dislikes divorce. Committing adultery once out of a moment of weakness is different than a mate making a bad habit out of it. Neither are excusable of course, but if you can keep the marriage bound together by forgiving that mate then that would be good.

Christian Teen Advice
http://www.teen-haven.net

"I don't understand myself at all, for I really want to do what is right, but I don't do it. Instead, I do the very thing I hate." --Rom 7:15
Pilgrim

Jesus is Lord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2004, 08:58:40 AM »

God hates divorce, yet according to verse 8 He divorced Israel. For what reason? Adultery.

Jer 3:1  They say, If a man put away his wife, and she go from him, and become another man's, shall he return unto her again? shall not that land be greatly polluted? but thou hast played the harlot with many lovers; yet return again to me, saith the LORD. 2  Lift up thine eyes unto the high places, and see where thou hast not been lien with. In the ways hast thou sat for them, as the Arabian in the wilderness; and thou hast polluted the land with thy whoredoms and with thy wickedness. 3  Therefore the showers have been withholden, and there hath been no latter rain; and thou hadst a whore's forehead, thou refusedst to be ashamed. 4  Wilt thou not from this time cry unto me, My father, thou art the guide of my youth? 5  Will he reserve his anger for ever? will he keep it to the end? Behold, thou hast spoken and done evil things as thou couldest. 6  The LORD said also unto me in the days of Josiah the king, Hast thou seen that which backsliding Israel hath done? she is gone up upon every high mountain and under every green tree, and there hath played the harlot. 7  And I said after she had done all these things, Turn thou unto me. But she returned not. And her treacherous sister Judah saw it.

8  And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also.

9  And it came to pass through the lightness of her whoredom, that she defiled the land, and committed adultery with stones and with stocks. 10  And yet for all this her treacherous sister Judah hath not turned unto me with her whole heart, but feignedly, saith the LORD. 11  And the LORD said unto me, The backsliding Israel hath justified herself more than treacherous Judah. 12  Go and proclaim these words toward the north, and say, Return, thou backsliding Israel, saith the LORD; and I will not cause mine anger to fall upon you: for I am merciful, saith the LORD, and I will not keep anger for ever. 13  Only acknowledge thine iniquity, that thou hast transgressed against the LORD thy God, and hast scattered thy ways to the strangers under every green tree, and ye have not obeyed my voice, saith the LORD. 14  Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion:

Pilgrim

New Life Bible Chapel
http://www.nlbchapel.org
Reba
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2004, 11:23:28 AM »

Jer 3:7-9

7 And I said after she had done all these things, Turn thou unto me. But she returned not. And her treacherous sister Judah saw it.

8 And I saw, when for all the causes whereby backsliding Israel committed adultery I had put her away, and given her a bill of divorce; yet her treacherous sister Judah feared not, but went and played the harlot also.

9 And it came to pass through the lightness of her whoredom, that she defiled the land, and committed adultery with stones and with stocks.
KJV

Deut 24:1-4
24:1 When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house.

2 And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife.

3 And if the latter husband hate her, and write her a bill of divorcement, and giveth it in her hand, and sendeth her out of his house; or if the latter husband die, which took her to be his wife;

4 Her former husband, which sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that is abomination before the LORD: and thou shalt not cause the land to sin, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance.
KJV
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2004, 09:34:48 PM »

Yes Symphony "HAD" as you say.  The reaper called and whisked her away.
Job 1:21 ....... Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.

Thank you, Lance.

I'm sorry.  Lips Sealed   Undecided
Reba
« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2004, 10:00:44 PM »

Sad  sorry Lance
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the