Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:38:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  SHOULD I SPEAK IN TONGUES
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SHOULD I SPEAK IN TONGUES  (Read 103029 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2008, 02:10:37 PM »

THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
SHOULD I SPEAK IN TONGUES

Paraphrase 1 Corinthians 14:30-33a

30. But if to another, who sitteth by hearing a prophet speak, any thing be revealed, let the first finish his discourse and be silent, before the other attempteth to speak.

31. For, by speaking one after another, ye can all deliver one by one, either at that or some subsequent meeting, what is revealed to you, so as all may learn, and all be comforted.

32. For the spiritual gifts of the Christian prophets are under the command of the prophets; so that they can exercise, or forbear to exercise them, as they choose.

33a. Besides, God is not by his inspiration the author of disturbance, but of peace.

Comment 1 Corinthians 14:30-33a

Vs. 30. Here is an exception to the principle just stated. If, while some gifted person is prophesying God reveals a message to someone else, the one prophesying is to give preference to the action and message of God. The man with the prophetic gift could evidently exercise it at will —  such was not so with the one given a revelation. Let the prophet be silent while this special message is given.

Vs. 31. The procedure of the exercise of the gift of prophesy is further elaborated. Paul says —  ’ ‘it is possible for the prophets to speak one at a time. In this way all may hear, understand and be edified.” The messages given by the prophets were such that those hearing were greatly encouraged and strengthened in the faith.

Vs. 32. The claim by some that they were but passive instruments of the power of God is not true. Paul reminds the Corinthians that the power of expression however divine is none-the-less under the control of the one speaking. The words of Lenski are much to the point: “Hence a prophet may desire to speak and may have something important to convey which has been given him by the divine Spirit and the Word and yet for good reasons may refrain from speaking. Proper self-control is a virtue that any prophet may well cultivate even today” (p. 613).

Vs. 33a. The nature of God is appealed to as a reason for an orderly use of the gifts —  if such gifts and their use proceed from God then they will reflect the divine nature. God is not the author of confusion —  the reason He is not is found in His essential being. He is a God of tranquillity and quiet satisfaction. Such could not be true if confusion reigned through the misuse of the gifts. How could God approve of a practice in violation of His nature?

(3) The restrictions on women in the worship service, 14: 33b-36.

(a) The restriction placed on women, 14:33b, 34.

Text 1 Corinthians 14:33b, 34

As in all the churches of the saints, let the women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but let them be in subjection, as also saith the law.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2008, 02:12:22 PM »

Thought Questions 1 Corinthians 14:33b, 34

162. Why introduce the subject of the position of women in this context?

163. Just how inclusive is the silence of the women?

164. Does this refer to women speaking in tongues?

165. What constitutes subjection?

166. From what has been said we would hardly conclude the church of Corinth was made up of “saints’ ‘ —  explain.

167. What reference in the law is here mentioned?

Paraphrase 1 Corinthians 14:33b, 34

33b. Having enjoined the orderly exercise of the spiritual gifts; as in all the churches of the saints is well known.

34. Your women, on pretense of being inspired, have assumed the office of public teachers: But my command is, Let your women be silent in the churches; for it hath not been permitted to them by Christ to teach in public; but they must be in subjection to the men, as also the law of Moses commandeth.

Comment 1 Corinthians 14:33b, 34

Vs. 33b. There has been some discussion as to whether this verse should be thus divided —  some commentators would refer it to the statement: “For God is not a God of confusion but of peace.” With this we cannot agree —  we much prefer the thought that a new point is here to be developed. The place of the women does indeed relate to proper conduct of those in the church, but it is a separate subject. This direction relates not only to the local condition at Corinth but to all the churches, whether in Corinth or not. We should note that God looks upon man as “in Christ” constituted a saint —  not by man’s worthiness but by Christ’s worthiness God calls us into and unto the fullness of the man in Christ.

Vs. 34. We refer you to I Timothy 2:11-15 for an enlargement of the same thought of this text. In what sense shall we say the women are to be silent? We must understand this in the context  —  let them be silent in areas where they are not permitted to speak. We could relate this to speaking in tongues, i.e., that such gifts were not to be exercised by women in the public assemblies. The men are to speak one at a time with the aid of an interpreter  —  the women are to speak not at all. Women can and are urged to teach other women —  but they are not to teach men, for in such a position they are usurping authority over a man —  we like the words of Calvin on this thought:

“For someone will say: ‘What is there to prevent them teaching even though they are in subjection?’ I reply that the task of teaching is one that belongs to someone with oversight, and is for that reason inconsistent with being in subjection. For how unsuitable it would be for a woman who is in subjection to one of the members, to be in an authoritative position over the whole body! It is therefore an argument based on incompatibilities; because if the woman is under subjection, she is therefore debarred from having authority to teach in public.” (p. 306 —  translated by John W. Fraser.)

We urge a reading of the section on the subjection of women in the Bible Study Textbook —  Paul’s Letters to Timothy and Titus (pp. 55ff.)

(b) The provision for their information, 14:35.

Text 1 Corinthians 14:35

And if they would learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home: for it is shameful for a woman to speak in the church.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2008, 02:14:08 PM »

Thought Questions 1 Corinthians 14:35

168. It is not true that women learn nothing from the public meeting —  what is meant here?

169. Supposing a woman does not have a husband —  how would this apply to her?

170. What is shameful about a woman speaking in church?

171. Just what constitutes “the church”?

Paraphrase 1 Corinthians 14:35

35. I do not permit women so much as to ask a question in the church, even on pretence of receiving information. But if they wish to learn any thing, let them ask their own husbands at home: for it is an indecent thing for women, on any pretence, to speak in the church.

Comment 1 Corinthians 14:35

Vs. 35. The learning process for women is not in asking questions in the public meeting —  for this could lead to a situation where their proper position is violated. Let them ask their “men-folk” at home. Paul is thinking of a family situation either of a husband and wife or of a father and children. We believe the word translated “husbands” is much more accurately translated “men-folk.” Please remember the circumstances of the meeting of “the whole church’ not in a private class —  when the whole church is affected by the questions and answers, such instructions must prevail. The exception of the single woman with no male connections is not considered in this text —  this does not mean they are to violate the divine principle.

(c) The rebuke to the Corinthian arrogance, 14:36.

Text 1 Corinthians 14:36

What? Was it from you that the word of God went forth? or came it unto you alone?

Thought Questions 1 Corinthians 14:36

172. Such a stinging rebuke was evidently prompted by a serious condition —  what was it?

173. Why and how would the Corinthians claim the word of God originated with them?

174. The Corinthians were indeed arrogant —  show how this was manifested.

Paraphrase 1 Corinthians 14:36

36. What? Went the word of God forth into the world from you women? Did Christ employ any of your sex as apostles? Or did the word only come to you by the ministry of the men? How then can ye pretend to teach men?

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2008, 02:15:43 PM »

Comment 1 Corinthians 14:36

Vs. 36. Paul rebukes in a very sharp manner the boastful attitude of the Corinthians. He seems to intimate that the Corinthians knew God’s will concerning the matters in which he had corrected them, but they were not willing to change. Perhaps the answer is in the authority of the word —  the word of God was sent to correct —  not to be corrected. The Corinthians were to allow the word to change them, they wished to change it. It is indeed a serious rebuke —  the saints in this city acted as if they were the source of authority and the peculiar object of God’s concern  —  neither was true. God is the authority —  expressed in His Word  —  for all time and all people.

1. The concluding statements, 14:37-40.

a. The authentication of the instructions, 14:37,38.

Text 1 Corinthians 14:37,38

If any man thinketh himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him take knowledge of the things which I write unto you, that they are the commandment of the Lord. But if any man is ignorant, let him be ignorant.

Thought Questions 1 Corinthians 14:37,38

175. This is the conclusion of three chapters of close discussion. Please give it careful consideration. Here is a criteria for judging the true prophet or gifted man —  what is it?

176: To what “things” did Paul refer?

177. Were there some pretended prophets in the Corinthian church? What was to be done about them?

178. Of what were certain men ignorant? How decide when one was ignorant?

179. Is Paul ignoring the need for instruction among some? Explain.

Paraphrase 1 Corinthians 14:37,38

37. If any one be really a prophet, or a discerner of spirits, I appeal to him, and require him to acknowledge the things I now write, and all the other things in this Epistle, that they are the commandments of the Lord Christ, given me by inspiration.

38. And if any one, after that, is ignorant that my precepts are the commandments of the Lord, let him be ignorant. His ignorance being willful, I will trouble myself no farther with him.

Comment 1 Corinthians 14:37,38

Vs. 37. Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter of the use and abuse of Spiritual gifts —  i.e., as found in chapters 12-14 of this letter: the claim to be inspired of God or to speak the word of God can be tested by its agreement or disagreement with what Paul has written. Paul has no question or hesitancy about his divine authority —  he is not asking them to test his word, but to receive and follow it as indeed it is the Word of God.

Vs. 38. If there is anyone who will not acknowledge the words of the apostle as the word of God it is proof positive that he does not have the Spiritual gifts he claims. Lenski’s translation of this verse is good: “But if anyone does not acknowledge, he himself is not acknowledged.” i.e., if anyone will not acknowledge the divine authority of Paul’s message, he is not acknowledged by God.

b. The concluding admonitions on the subject, 14:39,40.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2008, 02:23:34 PM »

Text 1 Corinthians 14:39,40

Wherefore, my brethren, desire earnestly to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues. But let all things be done decently and in order.

Thought Questions 1 Corinthians 14:39,40

180. What does desire have to do with prophecy?

181. Paul had forbidden speaking in tongues —  what does he mean by his statement here?

182. Specify just what decency and order means as to tongues and prophecy.

Paraphrase 1 Corinthians 14:39,40

39. Wherefore, brethren, prophecy being so excellent a gift, earnestly desire to prophesy. And hinder not any to speak in foreign languages, if there is one present to interpret.

40. Let all things be done decently and in order in your religious assemblies: the spiritual men avoiding envy and strife; and the women being silent.

Comment 1 Corinthians 14:39,40

Vs. 39. Paul began by explaining the advantage of prophesy —   he is to conclude with the same thought. His prohibitions on the use of this gift are not given to discourage its use —  indeed, without it the church would be greatly hindered. Tongues also have their place in the service —  because their abuse has been corrected does not mean they should be forbidden.

Vs. 40. Here is a principle to prevail in all our work and worship —  let God’s approval rest upon whatever we do —  it will then be decent —  let it be done in such a manner that no one will feel slighted and no one will be given a prominence he does not deserve —  this will be in order —  let no confusion reign any of the services, God does not approve of it and man is not edified.

THE END.....

Note:  Additional personal studies will follow. This issue is being covered because of confusion for many and deception into dangerously false teachings that are diverting many away from CHRIST. These posts are not intended for strife or division - just the opposite. I hope you will understand from further posts that this is an important issue worthy of study. It's not nit-picking, rather it many times does become a Salvation issue with the rampant deception that's occurring today. For this and other reasons, we hope and pray that you study this issue seriously and with an open heart.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 03:29:26 PM by nChrist » Logged

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2008, 02:12:36 AM »

This is a long study, as is the case with many subjects in the Bible. It is indeed a very worthy study well worth the time it takes to go through it. This is the most accurate and complete a study that I have seen. I encourage all to take the time, to read and to study this in detail. Thank you, brother for posting it here.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2008, 07:20:11 AM »

Good Morning Pastor Roger and All!

I simply hope that most of our readers understand why I posted this study. It certainly wasn't for the purpose of division or strife.

I do have some personal thoughts on this issue that I'd like to post later. For now, I'd simply like to make some very basic observations about this issue.

1 - There was a time and specific reason for the proper use of tongues:  a sign to the lost that GOD'S Messenger could speak their language and distribute the GOOD NEWS of the Gospel of the Grace of GOD.

2 - There were few Messengers of GOD'S WORD in the Acts Period, but there were people of many languages who needed to hear the message.

3 - The proper use of tongues in the Acts period involved known languages of the time and were used for the GLORY OF GOD - not attention and glory for mankind.

4 - The improper use of tongues in this day and age draw attention away from GOD and to man. The lost do not benefit because there is no understanding. In fact, the lost are simply confused because what they hear sounds like senseless babbling, and it really is just that. It draws attention to the speaker, a man, and it has no benefit for the lost. It actually becomes a false matter of status and pride for the speaker and does not serve GOD at all.

5 - There is a proper use of tongues in this day and age that does GLORIFY GOD. This involves the translation of the Bible and Godly materials into every known language of the world. The specific purpose is distributing GOD'S WORD - the message of Salvation to the entire world. However, this is usually not a supernatural use of tongues, rather the translator speaking more than one language and using his or her language ability for the LORD. For reference, one should note that the Apostle Paul did speak multiple languages. The Apostle Paul used these various languages on his journeys in preaching the GOOD NEWS.

Brothers and Sisters, we should seriously question anything that draws attention and glory to mankind, and this would involve much more than just the improper use of tongues. Signs and wonders in this day and age are heavily used by FALSE PROPHETS AND FALSE TEACHERS.

There was a time, reason, and season when GOD gave many of HIS Servants the power for signs and wonders. That time is over and ended with the Acts Period. GOD HIMSELF still does as HE Pleases in Heaven and on earth. GOD still performs miracles and answers prayers when it is within HIS Will and Purpose. ALL GLORY GOES TO GOD! - NOT MAN!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Ephesians 1:18-23 NASB I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. And He put all things in subjection under His feet, and gave Him as head over all things to the church, which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2008, 02:42:04 PM »

Good morning to you also.

Yes, I agree it is not the intent of this post to cause division but rather to understand proper biblical precepts and to bring all into the unity of the Body of Christ. This can also serve as a warning to those that are in the body that it is possible to be deceived. Speaking in tongues, glossolalia, is not how we determine who is of the body and who is not although there are many today that use the words "proof of the Holy Spirit" in relations to this. The idea is "I speak in tongues so it is proof that what I say comes from the Holy Spirit". Many times it is done by people out of the mistaken idea that they must show this sign in order to be accepted into the group, do they even go to the extent of faking it. We must keep in mind that even the devil has the power to do miracles and thereby deceive many.

As I have pointed out before in other threads on here glossolalia is a common thing used by many pagan religions that do not accept Christ as Saviour, some are even into idols for their gods.

There is no doubt that God can still bless a person with such a gift if it is His will to do so, if it glorifies Him. What we see mostly today is not a language of any sort. No not even the language of the angels as some portend it to be but rather it is nothing more than guttural, unintelligible sounds that are usually repeated over and over again and again.

The love of Jesus Christ and reflecting His love towards others is so much more of a meaningful way of showing that we are indeed of the Body of Christ.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Ariellamb

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2010, 09:16:22 AM »

I have been impressed by this study and responses given.

The Word was God 'And the Word became flesh'
Perhaps the greatest truth a man can receive
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2010, 03:43:24 PM »

I have been impressed by this study and responses given.

Hello Brother Peter,

I'm glad that you enjoyed this study. I consider this to be a very scholarly work by Don DeWelt - one worthy of the time it takes to study the material.

Before I forget, I hope that you had a nice holiday, and it's nice to have you back.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Ariellamb

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2010, 06:09:36 PM »

Hi Tom
Thank you for your kind words. We stayed in the French Pyrenees high in the mountains not far from Andorra in a renovated farmhouse.
The Lords voice is very laud and strong in such an area of great natural beauty.
Three times while there The Lord gave me different illustrations from His Word as i waited on Him during mountainside prayer walks.
Some of the time i spake quietly in tongues of worship and waited upon Him. I have found while in prayer to never set in stone the agenda before hand, but to be open to His leading.

The rushing water down from the peaks spake to me in understanding for the first time how His voice is like 'Many waters' while close to them (Him) all other voices are drowned out) my grandson was speaking and i had to get away from the falling waters to hear him properly. Another time we were lost as to the way back,so we stopped and were quiet and there in the background was the distant sound of the rushing steam. Which gave us our bearing to wards the right path.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2010, 07:32:38 PM »

Brother Peter,

It sounds like you had a great vacation. Welcome back.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2010, 09:13:30 AM »

Hello Peter,

It is good to see you back and hearing that you all had a great time. It is good to be able to get away once in a while. I can understand the feeling of the closeness of God in such a setting. I lived in the Appalachian mountains for a little over a year. I loved going to the very tops, looking out over His handiwork and just spending a few precious moments with Him.

Since this thread is about speaking in tongues, I noticed that you used the term 'tongues of worship' which is often used to mean speaking in unknown tongues. I was wondering if you would explain what you mean by that term. I only ask because I would like to get to know you better, to know where you stand on this.

Ariellamb

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2010, 09:18:27 AM »

Hi Roger

'Tongues of Worship'  'Oh for a thousand tongues to sing my great Redeemers praise'

When in protracted times of prayer alone, whether laying on my bed,walking out under the stars late at night or standing in the midst of trees alone in His creation, i speak out laud most times as this helps with focus & concentration. Some times i speak out His words(Scripture verses) back to Him as a man amongst the enemies kingdom crying out to heaven throne. At times my tongues of worship are as in Rev 4 & 5 repeating with them their praise by joining with them in tandem from the earth. For short times i speak in unknown languages of men, in touching the One who understands the depths of my being,receiving back the longing which He has given.
Joining with the Angels in worshipping The One who 'was' in eternity past before all that we now see was made.
In other words just being in His presence, recognizing Him as the sole centre of ALL creation & Glorious being who is the very only Spirit of Life.

sonofHilkiah

Lion of Judah / Lamb of God

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2012, 07:25:00 PM »

As to the question in your title "Should I Speak in Tongues" the answer is:

Only if you have been gifted with a tongue and are under the anointing of the Holy Spirit to do so. And the Scripture gives instruction on its use.

BIBLICAL CHRISTIANITY
Where Bible and Christian Meet
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the