Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:18:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  what's good if any big shot can be followed?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: what's good if any big shot can be followed?  (Read 3886 times)
michael_legna
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2004, 04:01:01 PM »

Ahhh, now I get what you are saying. Nice little bit of Gnosticism he has on his profile.

Oklahoma Howdy to Tibby,

Brother, I'm not sure what the guy is saying, but I did visit the web site.

I'm thinking about writing a book on Olympics - "How To Be A Javelin Catcher".   Grin Would you consider being my agent and paying for the publishing costs?   Grin

In Christ,
Tom

I had a friend owned a Javelin.  Best car AMC ever made.  If you can catch those I am impressed.   Grin

Matt 5:11  Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake:
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2004, 07:56:11 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to michael_legna,

Cheesy  I remember the AMC Javelin. However, I was never able to catch one of those. I did catch a Desota one time. I think that's how they spelled the name of the car company. Anyone remember those?

Tom

JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2004, 08:20:20 PM »

You're showin' yer age, there Mr. Bep, sir.  You might ask Mick - isn't he the second oldest on this site?? (He-he-he)

Actually, my grandparents used to drive a Desota (or was that Desoto?) - they lived in Elmore City (that would be about 20 miles south of Paul's Valley - and that would be in Oklahoma).  That would have been in the early to mid 1960's - and the car was old even then.  They used to make the 300 mile drive from there to our ranch near Amarillo every Memorial Day, and that old car never let 'em down.

There you go ticklin' my memory gland, Mr. Bep.  Smiley

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2004, 11:08:23 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to JudgeNot,

Cheesy  Desoto - I think you are right. I thought it was a great car, but they went out of business for some reason. The same was true of the Hudson.

Reference Paul's Valley, I've been there many times and think it is a pretty place. My dad was a circuit preacher for 8 years before settling into a church in Lawton, and Paul's Valley was one of the regular places we went.

It's a small world.

In Christ,
Tom

JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2004, 11:48:18 PM »

It's a small world.
Yes, Sir - it is.  My grandfolks were "Hardshell" Baptist.  I'm not sure they ever went to a Sunday service that wasn't in a tent.  They would drive 50 to 100 miles every Sunday just to find that tent.

Are there any 'Hardshell' Baptists left?

LOL brother - what memories!

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2004, 03:10:43 AM »

It's a small world.
Yes, Sir - it is.  My grandfolks were "Hardshell" Baptist.  I'm not sure they ever went to a Sunday service that wasn't in a tent.  They would drive 50 to 100 miles every Sunday just to find that tent.

Brother, I'll have to admit that I've led a fairly sheltered life in terms of church services. I really don't know much about denominations. I've always attended tiny churches with an address or a location for a name. My dad held services on street corners, tents, barns, homes, back yards, school buildings, and wherever folks invited him to come. I guess the closest description we could come up with would be "Grace Bible Church." My dad passed away, but the little church is still thriving.

Love In Christ,
Tom

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2004, 05:17:20 PM »

It's a small world.

Brother, I'll have to admit that I've led a fairly sheltered life in terms of church services. I really don't know much about denominations. I've always attended tiny churches with an address or a location for a name. My dad held services on street corners, tents, barns, homes, back yards, school buildings, and wherever folks invited him to come. I guess the closest description we could come up with would be "Grace Bible Church." My dad passed away, but the little church is still thriving.

Love In Christ,
Tom
Tom,

What your reply says is a telling of a part of Americana that has disappeared for the most part. How wonderful that you had the opportunity to grow up in that atmosphere. That is so great.

Thanks for relating that, I enjoyed it immensely. We do not realize in the 21st century all these wonderful little happenings, and perhaps they were not so little, that went on in the America of the past.

Ollie
« Last Edit: January 17, 2004, 05:19:21 PM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2004, 05:08:25 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Ollie,

Brother, you are most welcome.

I'll try to post some additional true life stories soon. Most of the best stories I remember were about very plain, hard working country folks who had little or nothing. Some of the stories were funny and some were sad. I have to say that of all the people I've met in my life that I respected those poor and hard working country folks the most. Many of them were very poor, but in the things that really mattered, they were rich.

I'll try to post some the first chance I get.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2004, 05:15:46 PM »

I asked my grandfather last month about his church background...

His words: "I used to say I was a Baptist [no slur on Baptists here!] but now I just say, 'I'm a Christian'..." He grew up in a little Oklahoma town where the only church around was Baptist, and he didn't even realize there were other denominations, or at least didn't think about it.

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2004, 11:41:20 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Willowbirch,

I don't think that what I'm about to say applies only to Oklahoma. There are a lot of small rural churches who haven't had regular pastors in years. Some of them may only be used several times a year when they can get a modern day version of a circuit preacher or a temporary preacher for a revival. The name over the door of many rural churches doesn't mean a thing.

One of the first churches my dad preached at regularly was a tiny church built in the middle of a pasture that might have 50 seats. That was 1942 (?), and the owner of the farm provided room and board on every visit. Mom and dad lived in Fort Worth, Texas at the time and they might come for 1 Sunday or several Sundays at a time. Dad eventually was a fairly regular preacher for 38 rural communities in Oklahoma. There was a common denominator, most of the communities were very poor. Dad never asked for money or passed an offering plate, even after getting the permanent church built in Lawton. I remember traveling home from rural church services with live chickens in the car that someone gave dad for an offering.   Cheesy  Many others gave fruits and vegetables. Here's one funny about an elderly gentleman I dearly loved. He wrung and plucked a chicken once and mailed it to us. Needless to say, the box was obviously leaking and smelled real bad when we got it.   Grin

Love In Christ,
Tom

Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2004, 06:41:30 AM »

Here's one funny about an elderly gentleman I dearly loved. He wrung and plucked a chicken once and mailed it to us

LOL! are you sure he was trying to say he loved you too?  Wink

I don't like the term "following" except as it apply`s to our relationship to Christ.  Lips Sealed

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2004, 01:22:27 AM »

LOL! are you sure he was trying to say he loved you too?  

I don't like the term "following" except as it apply`s to our relationship to Christ.  

Oklahoma Howdy to Shylynne,

Cheesy  Reference the elderly man mailing us a plucked chicken, I know he loved us and we loved him. Bless his heart, he's home with the Lord and he was one of a kind.

Reference the term "following", I understand and agree. I think the one who started this thread wants to sell you a book, something about him being a Bible expert. I'm sure that such a humble proclamation up front will help him sell a ton of books.   Cheesy

Love In Christ,
Tom

tonytony

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2004, 06:36:50 PM »

That is a possibility. But, if we are both wrong, and blinded by the money gabbers in the back room, then the original question of "what is good" still remains...

Im more concern about falling in a ditch with a infidel leader thats blind. The money crooks will eventually be on the news
and jailed. Matthew 15:14. What's really at stake? Your money or your soul?
Shylynne
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2004, 07:19:46 PM »

He wrung and plucked a chicken once and mailed it to us

Hey I can do that!  Cheesy

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
Shylynne
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2004, 07:22:22 PM »

Psa 73:28  But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord GOD, that I may declare all thy works!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the