Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:21:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  The War Against Sin
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The War Against Sin  (Read 11540 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2003, 05:45:36 PM »

1 Kings 8:46  If they sin against thee, for there is no man that sinneth not, and thou be angry with them, and deliver them to the enemy, so that they carry them away captives unto the land of the enemy, far or near;

Proverbs 20:9  Who can say, I have made my heart clean, I am pure from my sin?

Ecclesiastes 7:20  For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.

James 3:2  For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.

1 John 1:8  If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

Romans 7:14  For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
Romans 7:15  For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
Romans 7:16  If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
Romans 7:17  Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Romans 7:18  For I know that in me that is, in my flesh, dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
Romans 7:19  For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
Romans 7:20  Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Romans 7:21  I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
Romans 7:22  For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
Romans 7:23  But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
Romans 7:24  O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
Romans 7:25  I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Philippians 3:12  Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:13  Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
Philippians 3:14  I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

James 4:17  Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

Growth and strength in God's Holy Word reveals the weakness, imperfection, and sin of man.  For this reason, the strongest Christians are the least likely to claim perfection or self-righteousness. The babes in Christ may boast they have overcome sin and become righteous. The mature in Christ claim righteousness only in Jesus, confess their sins, and cling to Jesus for forgiveness. The babes and the confused are full of "I's". The mature in Christ are full of Jesus and pray for strength, guidance, and wisdom to war against their sinful nature that will not be overcome in this life. The mature in Christ expect the loving chastisement of the Father when they stray or stumble.  This is simply another time to kneel at the Throne of Grace and seek his forgiveness, strength, and another measure of HIS GRACE.

1 John 1:9  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

1 John 2:1  My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
1 John 2:2  And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

Thanks be unto God for HIS unspeakable GIFT!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2003, 08:26:43 AM »

Guilty as charged.

Embarrassed
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2003, 04:14:46 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Symphony,

I plead guilty also.

We do have an advocate with the Father who will feed, protect, and forgive us.

Thanks be unto God for HIS unspeakable GIFT!

Love in Christ,
Tom

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2003, 10:41:25 PM »

Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?

Romans 7:24

The mature believer also sees his complete need of Christ, not only to forgive and sanctify, but to deliver - snatch away from the very presence of his sin.  This is the guy who is actively looking for Christ's return, and living each day in light thereof.

Great post Brother Tom!   Smiley

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2003, 11:23:15 PM »

Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?

Romans 7:24

The mature believer also sees his complete need of Christ, not only to forgive and sanctify, but to deliver - snatch away from the very presence of his sin.  This is the guy who is actively looking for Christ's return, and living each day in light thereof.

Great post Brother Tom!   Smiley

Oklahoma Howdy to Brother Allinall,

Thanks Brother.

You just reminded me of something my mother and dad said all the time, "Keep Looking Up". The Holy Bible speaks of the promises of Almighty God being so sure, as if they had already been done. There are many reasons why a child of God should have joy when they "Look Up". First, we can think of the Grace and Love of Almighty God. There are many other beautiful thoughts, but I would certainly be thinking about my citizenship in Heaven and eternity with Jesus.

Love In Christ,
Tom

charlie

Yes2Truth

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2003, 07:42:40 PM »

Forgive me but I do find some of the postings troubling with some posters considering themselves guilty.  If you are forgiven how can you be guilty?   Once born again you are now perfect in God's sight.

The Lord has taken all your sins and if and when you do sin grace abounds.  All we have to do is confess those sins.

Do I sense a touch of self flagelation here?
Sower

Romans 8:31-39

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2003, 12:14:02 AM »

Forgive me but I do find some of the postings troubling with some posters considering themselves guilty.  If you are forgiven how can you be guilty?   Once born again you are now perfect in God's sight.

The Lord has taken all your sins and if and when you do sin grace abounds.  All we have to do is confess those sins.

It's absolutely true that when we came to Christ and received Him as our Lord and Saviour, not only (1) were we washed in His blood and our sins were forgiven but (2) we were declared "Not Guilty!" and "Righteous!" by God Himself and (3) received the "robe of righteousness" as well as (4) the gift of eternal life. WE ARE POSITIONALLY PERFECT IN GOD'S EYES.

However, that DOES NOT imply that there is no further need for confession of sins and repentance after we are saved. Let's look at 1 Jn. 1:8 (which, BTW, is not written simply to Gnostic heretics, but to genuine "sons of God" -- 1 Jn. 3:1-3): "IF WE SAY THAT WE HAVE NO SIN WE DECEIVE OURSELVES...". This is reminding us that the indwelling sin nature is still within each one of us and is at warfare with our spirits (Rom. 7:15-25), so let us not assume "sinless perfection" in our everyday walk.

1 Jn. 1:9 is a direct command from the Lord to confess our sins [which are always more than we realize]: "IF WE CONFESS OUR SINS, HE IS FAITHFUL AND JUST TO FORGIVE US OUR SINS, AND TO CLEANSE US FROM ALL UNRIGHTEOUSNESS". This is after we have been born again, since all of John's epistles are to believers.

To teach that there is no need to confess our sins to God daily, and seek His forgiveness and cleansing daily, is to deny the truth of God's Word.

When the Lord washed the apostles' feet and Peter asked that his hands and his head be washed also, Jesus said "He that is washed [in the blood of Christ-- 1 Cor. 6:11)] needeth not save [except] to wash his feet [the daily dust and grime of sin in the believer's life], but is clean every whit [justified by grace]: and ye are clean, but not all [i.e. Judas]".

This daily washing of "our feet" [the believer's walk] is with God's Word, which penetrates deep into our souls as a searchlight (Heb. 4:12): "THAT HE MIGHT SACTIFY AND CLEANSE IT [THE CHURCH] WITH THE WASHING OF WATER BY THE WORD" (Eph.5:26). As we read and meditate on God's Word in our daily devotions or hear the preaching and teaching of His Word, He exposes our sins to us, which we must then confess and forsake.

We must also "confess our faults [Gk. paraptoma, false steps, transgressions] one to another" (James 5:16) and pray for one another. There are times when we have to confess our sins to our brethren which we have committed against them or againt the local church. So to claim that confession of sins in unnecessary is to contradict the Word of God.

Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father, and Jesus Christ our Lord. 1 Timothy 1:2
charlie

Yes2Truth

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2003, 02:30:54 AM »

I would also suggest you are carrying a heavier burden than the Lord expects of you.

Do you not know that Jesus' yoke is light.  God looks at us and sees perfection - period.  Do you not know that He sees His Son when He looks at us?

Salvation by works is an ever present trap.  

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2003, 04:07:03 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Charlie,

No, you don't. All of this and more is clearly posted above. This is nothing more than a recognition and confession of sin and thanks that we have an advocate with the Father full of Grace and Peace. This is the reality of the warfare every Christian engages in during this short life. Confession of sin and prayer for forgiveness is part of our fellowship with our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.

In Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2003, 04:21:36 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Brother Sower,

However, that DOES NOT imply that there is no further need for confession of sins and repentance after we are saved. Let's look at 1 Jn. 1:8 (which, BTW, is not written simply to Gnostic heretics, but to genuine "sons of God" -- 1 Jn. 3:1-3): "IF WE SAY THAT WE HAVE NO SIN WE DECEIVE OURSELVES...". This is reminding us that the indwelling sin nature is still within each one of us and is at warfare with our spirits (Rom. 7:15-25), so let us not assume "sinless perfection" in our everyday walk.

Amen! I give thanks that we have a mighty ally in our minute by minute and day by day warfare. I especially give thanks that our Lord and Saviour will hear our confessions, forgive our sins, and give us another measure of strength, peace, and Grace to continue our fight.

Love In Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2003, 04:27:17 AM »

I would also suggest you are carrying a heavier burden than the Lord expects of you.

Do you not know that Jesus' yoke is light.  God looks at us and sees perfection - period.  Do you not know that He sees His Son when He looks at us?

Salvation by works is an ever present trap.  

This post has nothing to do with Salvation or works. This post concerns the walk of the believer, confession of sins, and fellowship with our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.

In Christ,
Tom

charlie

Yes2Truth

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2003, 12:40:00 PM »

Tom,

As born again Christians in the flesh we are never going to stop sinning, never.  That's what Paul teaches us in Romans.

That's why we need Jesus.  

The problem is there are many who agree with this but still take back their sinful burdens and then carry them around on their backs.

We are in His REST.  I'm sorry but anyone who applies the title GUILTY to himself has poor understanding to say the least.

Sower even seems to make confession hard work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2003, 02:49:43 PM »

This thread was not intended to be an exercise in semantics. Confession of sins is simply a part of a believer's walk in Jesus Christ that our peace and joy in Him might be more full.

There is a second reason why I posted this thread. I wanted to see if anyone would argue with something so basic, true, and Biblical for all of God's children. You have supplied that answer.

In Christ,
Tom

charlie

Yes2Truth

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2003, 04:59:33 PM »

Tom,

This is where you and I are going to disagree.  The peace that passeth all understanding is an integral part of our calling.  It's all part of that free gift, the gift of Grace. We have that peace UNCONDITIONALLY that is, if we confessed our sins for the first time at our calling.  Provided we maintain a repentant attitude we remain forgiven.  If you are then saying that that peace is then dependant on the amount of confessing you do, you automatically start to introduce a condition that just isn't required of us.  

What of the sins we commit that we are not even aware of and therefore can't confess?  Are you saying grace only abounds for these sins?  Even willful sins are forgiven if we confess them.

If we CONTINUE in wilfull sin which means a POSSIBLE hardening of the heart then we are treading on thin ice.

I will repeat what I said earlier in this thread, anyone who says they are guilty or guilty as charged, has not grasped his true position in Christ and under Grace.  Of ourselves we can do nothing.  Jesus does it all, even our confessing is motivated by Him.

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2003, 06:09:15 PM »

Tom,

This is where you and I are going to disagree.  The peace that passeth all understanding is an integral part of our calling.  It's all part of that free gift, the gift of Grace. We have that peace UNCONDITIONALLY that is, if we confessed our sins for the first time at our calling.  Provided we maintain a repentant attitude we remain forgiven.  If you are then saying that that peace is then dependant on the amount of confessing you do, you automatically start to introduce a condition that just isn't required of us.  

What of the sins we commit that we are not even aware of and therefore can't confess?  Are you saying grace only abounds for these sins?  Even willful sins are forgiven if we confess them.

If we CONTINUE in wilfull sin which means a POSSIBLE hardening of the heart then we are treading on thin ice.

I will repeat what I said earlier in this thread, anyone who says they are guilty or guilty as charged, has not grasped his true position in Christ and under Grace.  Of ourselves we can do nothing.  Jesus does it all, even our confessing is motivated by Him.

1 John 1:1.  That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;
 2.  (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)
 3.  That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.
 4.  And these things write we unto you, that your joy may be full.
 5.  This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
 6.  If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
 7. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin
 8.  If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

9.  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
 10.  If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Charlie, is John addressing the saved or the not saved in these verses?

Christians sin and the blood of Jesus continues to wash them clean from the sin through the asking of God for forgiveness. This does not mean to willfully sin. Christians should confess their faults and shortcomings to one another and help each other overcome through Jesus Christ, prayer, and even study of God's word.
It is part of the walk in the light of Christ as BEP mentioned earlier. Christians have the wonderful cleansing power of Jesus Christ's blood available to them forever into eternity.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 06:24:16 PM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the