Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:09:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  How does Christianity differ from other religions?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How does Christianity differ from other religions?  (Read 19203 times)
surrendersacrifice

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2008, 10:23:05 PM »

Christianity differs from all other religions in three areas.

The first area is the love, humility and faithfulness of God.  Christianity teaches that God loves us so greatly, that although we were unfaithful to Him and betrayed Him He humbled Himself and took a human form and sacrificed His life to save us from eternal death and bring us forgiveness of our sins (John 3:16).

The second area is the about Christian life.  As Christians we have to love others the way God loves us (John 15:12). We have to love our enemies, do good deeds for them and pray for them; if someone takes our coat, give them our shirt as well; offer the other cheek if someone slaps us on one; lend and do not expect it back; and be merciful like our heavenly Father (Luke6:27-36).  Furthermore, we have to forgive our enemies unceasingly (Luke 17:4); not pay evil with evil, never take revenge; feed our enemy; not allow evil to defeat us; and over come evil with good (Romans 12: 17-21).  Furthermore, legal dispute is incompatible with Christianity; and it is better for us to be wronged or robbed than to wrong others or rob them (1 Cor. 6:7).

Third area is about marriage. We are to love our spouse the same way as Christ loves His Church (Ephesians 5:25). Christ never abandons His Church. We, therefore, can never divorce our spouse. Furthermore, when we marry, we and our spouse become one.  It is therefore, a one to one relationship. Remarriage after divorce, therefore, is adultery; and a person can have only one spouse (Mk 10:11-12, Luke 6:18; Matthew 5: 31-32).

Are there any other areas?

surrendersacrifice:
God stayed faithful to His promise although we were unfaithful to Him, betrayed Him and killed Him. He expressed it by accepting death in order to compensate for our sins. Furthermore, He commands us to love one another in a similar manner (Jn 13:34).
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 11:36:33 PM »

There are false religions that teach love of all and that also teach monogamy.

What is the difference between Christianity and religions? We serve the one true God, a Saviour that came to us in the flesh, died for our sins and rose again to live eternally. A gift to all that accept Him as Lord and Saviour, by the grace of God not by works.

Christianity is not legalism. It is not just a religion. It's a relationship with God. We love God because He first loved us.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 04:29:20 AM »

Hello Surrendersacrifice,

There are also false religions that take scripture out of context and butcher the teaching, intent, and purpose of GOD. As an easy example, we aren't living in the Kingdom Age yet, so the swords have NOT been beat into plow-shares yet! GOD still uses war for HIS purpose, and that time has NOT ended yet! The worst wars are yet to come, and CHRIST HIMSELF will lead the armies. GOD has sent his people into war, and that time has not ended. We also live in a time where evil is confronted as a duty.

Bluntly, much of what you teach is horribly confused and wrong! The earthly Kingdom of CHRIST has not been established yet, but it most certainly will be! CHRIST has not subjected all things under HIS feet yet, but HE most certainly will at HIS Appointed Time! CHRIST HIMSELF has not lead Heavenly Hosts into Battle yet, but HE most certainly will at HIS Appointed Time. CHRIST has NOT taken HIS Throne in Jerusalem to rule and reign over the earth yet, but HE most definitely will at HIS Appointed Time. Christians are not taught to lay down and give up without a struggle with the devil! Christians are NOT taught to be pacifists! We are taught that we WILL wrestle with the powers of darkness in this Age. There is a definite and obvious reason why Christian soldiers have been and still are some of the most mighty warriors in history. That time is NOT over yet! Your biggest problem is we aren't living in the KINGDOM AGE yet! We won't be until CHRIST HIMSELF has lead HIS Heavenly Hosts into battle and crushed evil. Over 200 million will die in just one battle, and CHRIST HIMSELF will lead the victorious army!

Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 04:08:09 PM »

The diference is what no mand can do for it was by the shedding of blood for the remission of our sin and it ws done out of great love and mercy through our Lord Jesus Christ.  Not only did He die on the cross, but rose to prove every word true.  To even think there is a difference is to decieve ourselves, for in the that day, which will come soon no one will be asking the difference but trembling before the Lord..all men will come before the Lord even Budda and those who are not covered by the blood will be eternally in hell. People do not want to talk of hell, but the time has come to give the whole truth not the prosperity but the fact that without the Lord there is hell.
Eva

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 04:39:13 PM »

What is the difference between Christianity and religions? We serve the one true God, a Saviour that came to us in the flesh, died for our sins and rose again to live eternally. A gift to all that accept Him as Lord and Saviour, by the grace of God not by works.

Christianity is not legalism. It is not just a religion. It's a relationship with God. We love God because He first loved us.

Romans 10:9  That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved

Many other religions are based on works, but accepting Jesus is the only way to heaven.

Ephesians 2:9  Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Love in Christ, Eva

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me.
surrendersacrifice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 09:06:26 PM »

Hello Surrendersacrifice,

There are also false religions that take scripture out of context and butcher the teaching, intent, and purpose of GOD. As an easy example, we aren't living in the Kingdom Age yet, so the swords have NOT been beat into plow-shares yet! GOD still uses war for HIS purpose, and that time has NOT ended yet! The worst wars are yet to come, and CHRIST HIMSELF will lead the armies. GOD has sent his people into war, and that time has not ended. We also live in a time where evil is confronted as a duty.

Bluntly, much of what you teach is horribly confused and wrong! The earthly Kingdom of CHRIST has not been established yet, but it most certainly will be! CHRIST has not subjected all things under HIS feet yet, but HE most certainly will at HIS Appointed Time! CHRIST HIMSELF has not lead Heavenly Hosts into Battle yet, but HE most certainly will at HIS Appointed Time. CHRIST has NOT taken HIS Throne in Jerusalem to rule and reign over the earth yet, but HE most definitely will at HIS Appointed Time. Christians are not taught to lay down and give up without a struggle with the devil! Christians are NOT taught to be pacifists! We are taught that we WILL wrestle with the powers of darkness in this Age. There is a definite and obvious reason why Christian soldiers have been and still are some of the most mighty warriors in history. That time is NOT over yet! Your biggest problem is we aren't living in the KINGDOM AGE yet! We won't be until CHRIST HIMSELF has lead HIS Heavenly Hosts into battle and crushed evil. Over 200 million will die in just one battle, and CHRIST HIMSELF will lead the victorious army!

LUKE 4:
16He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. And he stood up to read. 17The scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written:
 18"The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
      because he has anointed me
      to preach good news to the poor.
   He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
      and recovery of sight for the blind,
   to release the oppressed,
    19to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."[e]

20Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him, 21and he began by saying to them, "Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing."

surrendersacrifice:
God stayed faithful to His promise although we were unfaithful to Him, betrayed Him and killed Him. He expressed it by accepting death in order to compensate for our sins. Furthermore, He commands us to love one another in a similar manner (Jn 13:34).
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 09:24:57 PM »

Surrendersacrifice Said:

LUKE 4:
16He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. And he stood up to read. 17The scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written:
 18"The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
      because he has anointed me
      to preach good news to the poor.
   He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
      and recovery of sight for the blind,
   to release the oppressed,
    19to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."[e]

20Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him, 21and he began by saying to them, "Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing."

So, what do you think this means? I can guess, but I think everyone would rather hear it from you.

surrendersacrifice

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 10:20:05 AM »

So, what do you think this means? I can guess, but I think everyone would rather hear it from you.

"Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing."
The Kingdom of God is already here.  It is in the hearts of the believers. Those who believe in Jesus already have peace in their hearts. On the other hand those who have not truly accepted Him resort to war, hate and selfishness. People who rejected Jesus could not understand this.  They expected Him to fight the Romans.  He, insted, taught us to love our enemies. He was killed because His teaching were not accepted.

surrendersacrifice:
surrendersacrifice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 10:38:46 AM »

Should not true Christians follow Luke 6: 27-36 ?
27"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. 29If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. 30Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. 31Do to others as you would have them do to you.
 32"If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them. 33And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that. 34And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' lend to 'sinners,' expecting to be repaid in full. 35But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 36Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

surrendersacrifice:
Littleboy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 01:59:15 PM »

There is only one name given in Heaven & on Earth that you can be saved by,
I serve him & None other, weather you call me a Christian, Follower of the way, Jesus Freak or any other
label that has been given to us thru the years..
I don't follow idololegies or Religions, Just the Sound Doctrine that was given to us by our Father
in Heaven...
Personally, after what i've seen some Preachers & Christians do, I would perfur to be call "A Follower of the Way"
Thats what they called us before they called us Christians in Antioch...
Prophecy fulfilled: False Preachers & some Christians have made the Word of God, Evily Spoken of & have kept the ungodley
from seeking the Lord...
The word Christ(ian) is a greek word for Messiah,
I am a Messiahian
I am a Son of God
I am a Watchman
I am a Gatherer
I am a Brother to All who call on my Father
I am a Littleboy
I am no one without Jesus...
YLBD
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 04:42:44 PM »

There is only one name given in Heaven & on Earth that you can be saved by,
I serve him & None other, weather you call me a Christian, Follower of the way, Jesus Freak or any other
label that has been given to us thru the years..
I don't follow idololegies or Religions, Just the Sound Doctrine that was given to us by our Father
in Heaven...
Personally, after what i've seen some Preachers & Christians do, I would perfur to be call "A Follower of the Way"
Thats what they called us before they called us Christians in Antioch...
Prophecy fulfilled: False Preachers & some Christians have made the Word of God, Evily Spoken of & have kept the ungodley
from seeking the Lord...
The word Christ(ian) is a greek word for Messiah,
I am a Messiahian
I am a Son of God
I am a Watchman
I am a Gatherer
I am a Brother to All who call on my Father
I am a Littleboy
I am no one without Jesus...
YLBD

AMEN BROTHER!

Littleboy, I also grow tired of man's labels and tags. All tags and labels will be thrown away one day. The term "Christian" means many things to different people these days, so this term has been misused, confused, and abused.

I'm just a sinner Saved by GOD'S Grace. I'm a purchased possession of JESUS CHRIST, and I give thanks that I belong to HIM. I'm not worthy of HIS Precious Blood that HE shed on the CROSS in my place. I'll just give thanks that HE gave HIMSELF freely as a perfect Sacrifice for all who will believe, repent, and ask HIM to be the LORD over their lives. HIS Blood rescued me from the curse of sin and death, so I am FREE and have Eternal LIFE in JESUS CHRIST.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Thanks be unto God for His unspeakable GIFT, Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour Forever!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 05:18:17 PM »

"Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing."
The Kingdom of God is already here.  It is in the hearts of the believers. Those who believe in Jesus already have peace in their hearts. On the other hand those who have not truly accepted Him resort to war, hate and selfishness. People who rejected Jesus could not understand this.  They expected Him to fight the Romans.  He, insted, taught us to love our enemies. He was killed because His teaching were not accepted.

Hello surrendersacrifice,

I thought you would think that we already live in the Kingdom, but we don't.

The life and crucifixion of JESUS CHRIST did fulfil many Old Testament Bible Prophecies, but only a portion of them. There are many Bible Prophecies left to be fulfilled, and they will be fulfilled most perfectly at GOD'S Appointed time. There are many portions of the Bible that you have conveniently forgotten or thrown away.

Before the Earthy KINGDOM of CHRIST can happen, many large events must take place:

1 - The 7 year Tribulation Period including MANY foretold events.

2 - The Rapture of the CHURCH WHICH IS THE BODY OF CHRIST - including the dead in CHRIST and their resurrection. We will be given glorified Bodies fit for our inheritance in Heaven.

3 - The Anti-Christ will rule and reign over the earth in a time of the greatest horror and bloodshed that this world has ever seen.

4 - The Tribulation Period will end with the SECOND COMING OF CHRIST in great wrath. HE will prove that HE is GOD and subject all things under HIS FEET. CHRIST HIMSELF will ride into battle with Heavenly Hosts behind HIM, and evil men will be completely defeated. About 75% of the entire population of the earth will die, including over 200 million in a single battle fought by CHRIST.

5 - CHRIST will claim HIS rightful Throne in Jerusalem and rule and reign over the earth for 1,000 years. Israel will be restored. CHRIST is and has been the Anointed KING of Israel, and HE will not be denied HIS KINGDOM. CHRIST is and was the MESSIAH, and all of GOD'S Promises to Israel will be fulfilled. The nations will practice the art of war NO MORE!

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 NASB
But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus. For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words.

Ezekiel 39:1-7 NASB
"And you, son of man, prophesy against Gog and say, 'Thus says the Lord GOD, "Behold, I am against you, O Gog, prince of Rosh, Meshech and Tubal; and I will turn you around, drive you on, take you up from the remotest parts of the north and bring you against the mountains of Israel. "I will strike your bow from your left hand and dash down your arrows from your right hand. "You will fall on the mountains of Israel, you and all your troops and the peoples who are with you; I will give you as food to every kind of predatory bird and beast of the field. "You will fall on the open field; for it is I who have spoken," declares the Lord GOD. "And I will send fire upon Magog and those who inhabit the coastlands in safety; and they will know that I am the LORD. "My holy name I will make known in the midst of My people Israel; and I will not let My holy name be profaned anymore. And the nations will know that I am the LORD, the Holy One in Israel.

Ezekiel 39:17-22 NASB
"As for you, son of man, thus says the Lord GOD, 'Speak to every kind of bird and to every beast of the field, "Assemble and come, gather from every side to My sacrifice which I am going to sacrifice for you, as a great sacrifice on the mountains of Israel, that you may eat flesh and drink blood. "You will eat the flesh of mighty men and drink the blood of the princes of the earth, as though they were rams, lambs, goats and bulls, all of them fatlings of Bashan. "So you will eat fat until you are glutted, and drink blood until you are drunk, from My sacrifice which I have sacrificed for you. "You will be glutted at My table with horses and charioteers, with mighty men and all the men of war," declares the Lord GOD. "And I will set My glory among the nations; and all the nations will see My judgment which I have executed and My hand which I have laid on them. "And the house of Israel will know that I am the LORD their God from that day onward.

Ezekiel 39:25-29 NASB
Therefore thus says the Lord GOD, "Now I will restore the fortunes of Jacob and have mercy on the whole house of Israel; and I will be jealous for My holy name. "They will forget their disgrace and all their treachery which they perpetrated against Me, when they live securely on their own land with no one to make them afraid. "When I bring them back from the peoples and gather them from the lands of their enemies, then I shall be sanctified through them in the sight of the many nations. "Then they will know that I am the LORD their God because I made them go into exile among the nations, and then gathered them again to their own land; and I will leave none of them there any longer. "I will not hide My face from them any longer, for I will have poured out My Spirit on the house of Israel," declares the Lord GOD.

Isaiah 9:2-7 NASB
The people who walk in darkness Will see a great light; Those who live in a dark land, The light will shine on them. You shall multiply the nation, You shall increase their gladness; They will be glad in Your presence As with the gladness of harvest, As men rejoice when they divide the spoil. For You shall break the yoke of their burden and the staff on their shoulders, The rod of their oppressor, as at the battle of Midian. For every boot of the booted warrior in the battle tumult, And cloak rolled in blood, will be for burning, fuel for the fire. For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace. There will be no end to the increase of His government or of peace, On the throne of David and over his kingdom, To establish it and to uphold it with justice and righteousness From then on and forevermore. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will accomplish this.

surrendersacrifice, the above is just a small sample. These things haven't happened yet, BUT THEY WILL! BLUNTLY, you are horribly confused. The times for battle are not over. GOD has sent his people into battle countless times in the history of mankind. The greatest battles are yet to come. You must not confuse Christian love with EVIL, things that GOD abhors, and things that are an abomination in the eyes of GOD.

Littleboy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 05:32:32 PM »

Amen Brother Tom , I'm bought & paid for too, It's a good feeling to know your in the hands of God, Huh?
I Love this part Brother, My/Our Lord could'nt have said it any clearer:

I'm just a sinner Saved by GOD'S Grace. I'm a purchased possession of JESUS CHRIST, and I give thanks that I belong to HIM. I'm not worthy of HIS Precious Blood that HE shed on the CROSS in my place. I'll just give thanks that HE gave HIMSELF freely as a perfect Sacrifice for all who will believe, repent, and ask HIM to be the LORD over their lives. HIS Blood rescued me from the curse of sin and death, so I am FREE and have Eternal LIFE in JESUS CHRIST.

Love In Christ,
Tom

I too Humble myself before our God
YLBD

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 05:53:45 PM »

Hello Littleboy,

We are living in increasingly evil and hard times. It is wonderful to know that this world isn't our HOME. I also think that it's good for every Christian to concentrate on the Promises of GOD often. I'm convinced that things are going to get harder for Christians by the day, even in this part of the world. We have already seen that Christians aren't immune from persecution in this part of the world, and I firmly believe that things will get much worse.

However, things are different for us than the lost. Our HOPES aren't of this world. We must live in this world for a short period of time, but we're just passing through. When things get hard, we should think about GOD'S Promises and know who we already are in CHRIST. Physical death for us simply means "Absent from the body - present with the LORD." Our HOPE is Eternal and TRUE because it is a Promise of GOD. Brother, GOD has already told us what our future holds. It's with HIM and in HIM.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Ephesians 1:18-23 NASB I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. And He put all things in subjection under His feet, and gave Him as head over all things to the church, which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.

David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 07:22:14 PM »

I can't wait to go home. Read verse in my signature.

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the