Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:01:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286766 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Television (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Another plug for Sky Angel
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another plug for Sky Angel  (Read 5991 times)
Barbara

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2008, 11:24:21 AM »

We don't watch much regular TV - only old shows, movies that have family values.

About 7 years ago we got the Sky Angel satellite network. We love it. You have to familiarize yourself with all the stations and programs but there is a lot there. They run a lot of Christian movies, which are excellent! For example, we've recently seen:

Facing the Giants
End of the Harvest
Gold throught the Fire
Behind the Sun
Six
Second Glance
Believers Among Us
The Perfect Stranger
Another Perfect Stranger
The Moment After
The Moment After II
Never Ashamed
Late One Night
Unidentified
The Crossing
Deceived
M 10:28
Fiddler on the Roof
Paul the Emissary
On the Edge
Alef-Tav - The Word of God
Time Changer
One Night with the King
Flywheel
The Prince of Egypt
The Gathering
The Daydreamer
God Help Me

....These are just a sampling

There's also so many excellent teaching shows, according to what you're interested in. Some of our favorites are:

Quick Study
Word Pictures
Prohphecy in the News
Hal Lindsay
Jewish Jewels (Messianic)
Jewish Voice (Messianic)
God's News Behind the News
Manna-Fest (especially when Bill Cloud is on)
Zola Levitt
Law & Justice
Jordan Rubin
The Way of the Master
Day of Discovery
The King is Coming......and so much more!

There is constant special programming and concerts. For what you pay for cable TV - it's a fraction of the cost! You can be in the Word a lot more, and ministered to, learning and growing every day. We've been introduced to so many excellent ministries through Sky Angel.

Plus there's so much kid's programming. Hope you check it out. It's much better and safer than public TV.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 11:28:25 PM »

Hello Barbara,

I've heard of Sky Angel for several years now, but we don't get it here yet for some reason. We do have some clean family channels and a few of the older Christian channels, but our Christian channels aren't very good. We don't watch very much television either, but I do like to watch a few shows from time to time (i.e. Fox News, Animal Planet, and old shows when I can find them).

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 09:11:44 AM »

And now Sky Angel is also going over the Internet....with IPTV.  IF you have broadband connection you can get Sky Angel.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Barbara

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 09:39:11 AM »

Hi blackeyedpeas,

Sky Angel is a satellite network. We get it in conjuction with Dish Network (if you have that). They came and installed the satellite when we called 1-800-SKY-ANGEL. We've moved with it from NY to Virginia to Florida and each time Dish installed the satellite for free. Not sure if that helps in your area or not.

Brother Jerry, I didn't know they were going over the internet - that's interesting. That would make it more available to more people I would think. That's really good!

God Bless

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 10:57:41 AM »

Thanks sincerely for the information. I have wireless Internet service, and I'm really not sure what they call the method of reception. They have towers scattered throughout the service area, and I have a wireless modem with an antennae no larger than about 4 inches. We have a tower less than a mile from us, and it's an affordable service that we've been happy with. I doubt that the speed is fast enough for Internet television, but it's much faster than the old dial-up service we had. I can't remember the terms that are used to describe speed, but I remember our old dial-up averaged 28.8 or less. Our new wireless service averages about 4 times that or better.

However, we do have Dish Network in my area of Oklahoma, and I plan to check this out. I've wanted to try Sky Angel since I first heard about it. So, here's our chance. THANKS!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Barbara

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 11:40:59 PM »

Well, I'm extremely sorry to say that Sky Angel, without much warning to it's customers, has pulled the plug!!!!

It really carrried some great stations, and when you sorted out your favorites you had some excellent teaching, including lectures from Ken Ham's 'Answers in Genesis' that were incredible for my son's school work and our information and learning.

I'm so sorry to have recommended it to you, blackeyedpeas, but I hadn't realized they were going to pull the satellite reception. Since it's founder passed away and his son took over things changed so drastically and quickly that we, along with others we know, didn't realize they were completely abandoning the satellite reception. We paid for 'lifetime' reception, and even renewed their magazine only 2 months before they gave us a week's notice that they were 'jumping ship' for a more lucrative market.

We still get Angel I and 2 channels but miss alot of the great programs on other stations including Ken Ham's programming, and The Cornerstone TV channel. We no longer have choices of movies and are unable to receive alot of the stations that we came to know and love over the past 8 years.

It is a shame that, without sufficient warning or any explanation, Christian businessmen have opted to back out of their agreement (we were told to read the fine print on the original contract - that lifetime membership could be revoked at any time they saw fit - which seemed to be after their devoted founder passed and his dream of providing Christian programming was no longer providing the 'profit' his successors wanted.)

It's a shame!
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 10:03:31 PM »

Hello Sister Barbara,

I'm very sorry to hear this. My main sadness would be for the lost. I would have enjoyed it, but I have all kinds of Godly materials to enjoy for the rest of my life. Their business decisions for more money will primarily hurt the lost. I know this will also upset a lot of Christians for good reasons, so I wasn't trying to downplay what was done.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 09:04:11 AM »

Sorry to hear that as well...I think in the long run that could hurt them...because most people if they already have cable Inet will simply stick with their cable TV as well....it comes out cheaper.  So for IPTV, DSL is offering that will get more folks interested.   There are some wireless providers and such...but talking the major market fairs. 

The problem is that DSL is still a limited market and does give you a target of offering IPTV to everyone in the market.  It is a harder sell for cable folks than DSL folks.  And simply wait until fiber in the home...however if you are running a business you cannot "wait".  So I think that will hurt them in the long run.

But then I say that and I have no clue how much satellite feeds were costing them....those could have been costing them an arm and a leg so it may have been the smart thing to do...

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
godchild929

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 04:39:12 PM »

I recently subscribed to Sky Angel's new television service and I love it!  I wasn't able to have a satellite dish where I live so I'm really excited to be able to watch Christian programming, and my family enjoys Discovery shows and the NFL network too.

Sky Angel is doing something totally new with IPTV, you get it through your router (needs to be high-speed)... I'm not too technical -- once everything was connected the right way I began watching music videos, programs and I really love the 48-hour rewind feature.  I missed the Dove awards a while back and was able to watch them the next night when I got home from work.  Even better, they're adding more channels with IPTV.  Check it out and you'll be blessed!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 11:18:46 AM by Pastor Roger » Logged
Barbara

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 09:33:47 PM »

Hi godchild929!

It's good to meet you!

I've got a few questions -- do you have to watch SkyAngel on your computer? What equipment do you need to watch it? Do they supply the router or do you have to buy one? What does the service cost a month? And finally - are you getting Christian TV stations or specific popular shows; are you getting Christian movies?

I'd love to hear more about it from you, maybe we'll look into it again!!

Thanks for the info and welcome!!!

Barbara
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 10:19:40 AM »

I can answer a couple of those questions.
No you do not have to watch it on your computer.  Matter of fact it would be more of a hassle to do so.  They provide a set top box that you would run a cable from your router (your as in you buy it...not to worry like $50 at Best Buy) to this box.  Then your TV plugs into the box and away you are.

As far as cost...You would best go to their web page and check that out.  What you are watching is Christian TV channels and there are some movie channels I believe...but I think mostly tv channels that may also run movies...like USA and such do.  There is also channels like Fox News and some others.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------

Barbara

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 03:06:36 PM »

Thank you so much, Brother Jerry!

We'll probably look into it again. We thought you had to get it on your computer so we just let it go. Right now we get Daystar, TBN (which sometimes has interesting stuff, but on the whole, not great), and Angel 1. Daystar so far is the best. But they never run Christian movies like I listed in the first post. My son has a few favorites in those and we're glad he watches them instead of 'worldly' stuff.

These days we feel we need to be immersed in everything Christian, there's too much for kids to deal with out there.

And I love what you've written under your signature - that's what I call a Godly father!!!!

God Bless

Barbara
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 12:21:19 PM »

And I love what you've written under your signature - that's what I call a Godly father!!!!

Thank you

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the