Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:03:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Linux Ubuntu For The New Or Casual Computer User
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Linux Ubuntu For The New Or Casual Computer User  (Read 3934 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2008, 01:57:07 PM »

Brothers and Sisters,

Some of you know that I switched to Linux Ubuntu less than a year ago. I wrote some articles here about the experience of leaving Windows and going to Linux. I would be considered to be a heavy computer user, and I regularly do complex things with my computer. I made a good decision that I don't regret at all, even though I have years of commercial software I bought stuffed into boxes and nearly forgotten. I found outstanding FREE software to do everything I need to do, and I must add that much of the FREE software is actually BETTER than the commercial software I stuffed in the boxes.

I'm writing this post for people who are not heavy computer users, folks who might be considered to be new users or beginners. Linux Ubuntu has become almost the flagship of easy switching, easy use, easy installation, easy upgrades, great documentation, outstanding support, and huge variety of outstanding FREE software. This is NOT the Linux Software of 5 and 10 years ago that required a geek or considerable knowledge to use. For a brand new user, I firmly believe that Linux Ubuntu is easier to install and use than any other operating system on the market today, and Linux Ubuntu is completely FREE with no strings attached.

Some might say that this can't be true and possible, but it is TRUE and POSSIBLE! If you feel guilty about taking everything FREE, you can make a donation or volunteer your time for thousands of projects related to FREE software. Many of the projects are as simple as users telling the developers what they like or dislike about various software. Nearly all the software is rated in many ways by the users, and there are literally armies of folks who make FREE software work in outstanding ways. Some folks would have the mistaken idea that FREE software would have to be second rate, crippled, or a game of some sort to buy software. NOT THE CASE! Linux Ubuntu is OUTSTANDING from the start with a huge selection of choices in all categories.

I'll make some BOLD and BLUNT statements that I believe to be completely TRUE:

1 - A new install of Windows is at least 5 times more difficult than a new install of Linux Ubuntu.

2 - In my case, Linux Ubuntu assigned and installed drivers for various hardware and peripherals better and faster than Windows. The result has been and is stable operation of everything connected to the computer. Linux has a vast and outstanding library of drivers, and they are FREE also.

3 - You can try Linux Ubuntu before you install it if you want to. Linux Ubuntu has what they call a Live Install CD. The computer actually works off of the CD and allows you to see Linux Ubuntu in action before you install it. It obviously works slower on CD than it does installed on the hard drive, but you can check nearly everything without installing anything at all. If you like it, hit "Install" and you'll have a working computer with a variety of really nice programs up and running in a matter of minutes. By the way, if you really need a completely FREE CD, Linux Ubuntu will actually send you one at no cost. I opted to purchase my CD at a cost that would barely cover shipping. I liked it so much that I bought an entire set of DVDs full of Linux Ubuntu compatible software. There are also download sites around the world to get whatever you need in minutes.

4 - Linux Ubuntu is MUCH SAFER to use than Windows in terms of virus, trojan, worms, etc. I might add that the same comparison could be made without any firewall or virus protection installed at all ON LINUX, but all normal protections installed on Windows. The file system is what makes the HUGE difference on Linux. There are limited choices for firewalls and virus related programs on LINUX because most feel these security related programs aren't necessary. I currently run a very simple firewall, and that's all in terms of security related programs. LINUX is NOT wide open for all kinds of attacks like Windows IS!

5 - If you are a new user, Linux Ubuntu is MOST DEFINITELY easier to install and use than Windows. You will also be using many familiar pieces of software that have been proven over the years on various operating systems. Examples: Firefox web browser, Thunderbird email program, Open Office Suite, and much more.

In short, Linux Ubuntu is an excellent choice for new users. It is outstanding to the point that Dell already ships new computers with Linux Ubuntu as the operating system. If you are a long-term Windows user, you will need some time to adapt to all the changes. You'll actually have a harder time than a new user because of years of Windows habits. However, Linux Ubuntu represents years of hard work to make the change as painless as possible. If you have many complicated tasks to perform, there is OUTSTANDING FREE software to get the job done - whatever it is. One should know that Linux, Unix, and derivatives have been around for a long time and are used in all kinds of heavy commercial environments (i.e. banking, etc.). You should know that Linux and Unix are NOT the new and second-class kids on the block. They are actually the preferred operating system in a host of various environments, including the home user. In conclusion, I'll tell you there is nothing to fear in trying Linux Ubuntu, and there is NO COST!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the