Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:12:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Church Leaves Man to Die
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Church Leaves Man to Die  (Read 2152 times)
Broken

xLOSERx

View Profile WWW
« on: December 10, 2003, 03:01:42 PM »

Sorry, I know I don't really post anymore, but I had to put this in. Its an article from the Times, and frankly, its absolutely shocking.

Church left man to die in cold
By Lewis Smith

A CORONER has expressed amazement that a 60-strong church congregation left a naked man to die of cold outdoors while they feasted inside.
The churchgoers refused to let the man in despite his pleas for help. Kenneth Clarke, 62, wandered around the Central Methodist Church in Dudley, West Midlands, for five hours before dying of hypothermia.

He banged on the church door begging for assistance and shouted to the minister and the congregation that he was freezing. The churchgoers, who were holding a special feast, rummaged about until they found a blanket, sandwich and hot drink and handed them to him, but left him out in the cold.

Robin Balmain, the acting Coroner for Dudley, accepted that the congregation, who were scared by Mr Clarke’s behaviour, called the police, but was astounded no more help was offered. “I really find it astonishing that nobody saw fit to take this man indoors, somewhere where it was warm, sit him down and give him basic care and attention.

“What I am unable to understand is why this man didn’t get the help he needed earlier. I was told about 60 people were in the Methodist church.”

Mr Balmain recorded a verdict of death by natural causes, but said that neglect was a contributory factor.

The Rev Ivor Sperring told the inquest in Dudley that the Mr Clarke’s behaviour was threatening. He said: “He was picking up plastic and banging it on the ground. Most of the people were older than him and didn’t feel they would be able to deal with the situation.

“He was nothing more than a nuisance. We felt we weren’t in a position to deal with it because of his behaviour, his nudity, and there was something sinister about the way he was breaking things.”  

Huh Huh Huh

And God will say:
Depart from me I never knew you!
I never knew you!
Never.

Man disavows, and Deity disowns me:
Hell might afford my miseries a shelter;
Therefore Hell keeps her ever-hungry mouths all
Bolted against me.
-Cowper
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 03:23:19 PM »

Hi, Broken.

Hmmm, I don't know.  Since it was Methodist, maybe I'm not very surprised.  Roll Eyes

Just kidding--sort of.

That's horrible.  But all of the parishners were older?  Hmm, the details don't look totally incriminating.

But on the other hand, couldn't they at least asked him in?

Yes, definitely.  

But if he represented danger to them?   Hmm, I don't know.  But it seems like a group of 60 elderly should still well be able to handle the situation.

Doesn't sound very good to me, any way I look at it.   Sad

Broken

xLOSERx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 03:31:29 PM »

I can see why they'd be a bit frighened - after all, he was obviously a headcase, but the guy was 62 - the congregation could hardly have been that much older than him. And I think 60 people could restrain one person, even if he was younger than them.

I bet they regret it now. They probably thought he'd just go away, and be fine, and didn't realise that their action meant he died.

Though I don't like that minister saying he was "nothing more than a nusiance" (the guy died! asking to be let in so you don't die is not making a nusiance of yourself!) and I fail to see what his nudity had to do with anything.

Shocked

Its just worrying.

And God will say:
Depart from me I never knew you!
I never knew you!
Never.

Man disavows, and Deity disowns me:
Hell might afford my miseries a shelter;
Therefore Hell keeps her ever-hungry mouths all
Bolted against me.
-Cowper
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 04:07:31 PM »

No, it's not sending a very good message...

In an auto accident, here in U.S., at least in some states, leaving the scene of an accident is actionable.

Failure to render assistance here, would seem to be related to that closely, at least in strictly legal terms.
Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 05:55:55 PM »

If this man was truly a threat to the well being of the congregation, it would be understandable.

However, it sounds alot like The Good Samaritan story to me. It was the religious folks who turned their back on their fellow man.

And I thought the Methodists were an all inclusive, tolerant bunch?

Psalm 119
Coyote

Aim High!!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 09:08:19 PM »

As a Methodist it saddens me that they turned their back on this fella. I invite people into my own home who stop by looking for work. Sat down with them, offered food and drink, then sent them off with a prayer. Granted it was in my home, where I am armed to the teeth, but I still feel compassion to my fellow man.

I wonder if this church has faced any hardships following this incident?

Amazing Grace how sweet the sound
twobombs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2003, 09:21:25 AM »

The judgement on that church will not be a mild one.....  
According to scripture they will all see the flames of hell
(unless they really, really repent of their sin and start up some shelter project)

[ Tempus Fugit Smiley ]
HopeAndFaith

Defender of Jesus (and chocolate)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2003, 02:07:21 PM »

2 Peter 3:9 states:

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Let's not jest about someone going to hell. God doesn't enjoy the thought that any of His creation should perish in hell. How about we pray for those elderly people, who's days are at a close and will meet their Maker soon. Let us pray that they DO come to repentance, that the peace of the Lord come upon them, and all His understanding. That they seek Him first. Also, lets not point out the speck in their eyes when we are all obviously stumbling because of the log of judgement in our own eyes. Harsh but meant with love, truly! Peace! *ducks, for fear of bibles being thrown my way* Undecided
« Last Edit: December 11, 2003, 02:08:12 PM by HopeAndFaith » Logged

Romans 15:13  Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.
Reba
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2003, 03:24:07 PM »

Open the door to your home (church, store, office, school, old folks home, etc) and let the naked weirdos in or dont talk.
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2003, 06:31:05 PM »

If someqone in this day and age did that at your home, naked, screaming, banging and breaking things, would you not call the police?

That is probably what the  sixty old Methodists should have done and let the police determine if he would be a threat. If it was determined he was not a threat and needed shelter and food, then they should have given it.
 If it was determined he was a threat they could have taken him off to that nice warm jail, nice warm jail clothes and nice warm jail food.

Being Christian does not mean one has to give of him/herself to every kook that comes along.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2003, 06:32:12 PM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2003, 07:17:12 PM »

I'm still not understanding why if they called the police he was somehow allowed to still die.

Frequently, we don't have the full details.  It's just weird someone in need like this would be apparently abandoned.
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2003, 07:22:48 PM »

I'm still not understanding why if they called the police he was somehow allowed to still die.

Frequently, we don't have the full details.  It's just weird someone in need like this would be apparently abandoned.
We probably should not even discuss it since we do not have all the details. This is how untruths get started.

Support your local Christian.
HopeAndFaith

Defender of Jesus (and chocolate)

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2003, 11:58:29 PM »

http://www.itv.com/news/833364.html This one had a little more info

Romans 15:13  Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2003, 01:34:22 AM »

Though I don't like that minister saying he was "nothing more than a nusiance" (the guy died! asking to be let in so you don't die is not making a nusiance of yourself!)

Yeah, that is very disturbing. You'd think in the wake of the guy's death, the minister would be scrambling to explain himself, and even now he doesn't feel any more urgency than to simply brush it off by saying the guy was a nuisance? Being left to die would make anyone upset.

And they were worried because the entire congregation was older? 60 to 1-I think they could take him if they had to.

I bet that poor guy didn't expect to die that way.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2003, 02:49:45 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

I think there's more to this story. I clicked the link to the article, and it said the police were called but didn't arrive for three hours. That's either a communications department or police department failure.

That would have been a priority call on my department, and response would have been within 3 to 5 minutes. I don't think I would be placing all of the blame on the church. There's not much of a reason for being naked in public these days unless the person is totally insane or doped out of their mind. There are too many places to get food, clothing, and shelter in most places. There appears to be quite a bit of information missing in this story. Police officers handle folks like that fairly often, and some of them are quite dangerous.

In the absence of additional information, I would be leaning toward blame on emergency services, not the church.

In Christ,
Tom

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the