Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 08:29:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286958 Posts in 27571 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Politics and Political Issues (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Obama
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 97 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Obama  (Read 171222 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: July 31, 2009, 10:48:32 PM »

How you can get involved in community organizing
by Glenn Beck

July 30, 2009 - 13:55 ET
Dear Family and Friends,

Hope.  For change.  For the first time since Barack Obama came to power, I actually have some.  Yes, I too, like the mindless Obama minions last fall, long for change.   In fact, most Americans didn't know what change he was talking about.  Change was just a rallying-cry that meant whatever the listener wanted it to mean.  And in fact, he was right, most Americans DID want change…including me.  Just not THIS kind of change.

But just because we've made the mistake, doesn't mean we can't admit it.  We must put the parties behind us.  I can't say this enough, this is NOT about Obama.  This is about the system…the system I talk about in "Common Sense"…an out-of-control government.

The change we now need, and quite franky, needed when Bush was in office, is to change our course back to the one charted by our Founders.

That won’t be easy.  We will all have to unite, in order to accomplish that goal.  My critics keep saying, “Glenn Beck is building an army!”  Apparently completely unconcerned with the army Obama has spoken about building or the one ACORN founder Wade Radke talks about building in his new book.  The one he, himself, claims also includes AmeriCorp.

But I, am not building an army.  All I am is a humble, “community organizer”, organizing a radio and television community.  And I'm trying to learn how their system works.  As I mentioned, they are building an army, but what I will tell you is a big, central power structure will fail.  The only thing that will stop the gears of whatever it is they're creating, is small, individualized groups of Americans.  That kind of grassroots effort was celebrated when Obama was doing it during his campaign, and is certainly celebrated by those who believe in what ACORN is doing.  Those same people aren’t exactly breaking out the confetti for us now though.

So what must we, as a “community” do?  First, we have to identify our critical stands, where we cannot fail in our efforts.  We have to draw a line in the sand over several make or break issues, in order to keep the progressives from fundamentally transforming America.

What are those issues?  Well, I would really like to get your input, as Constitutional “Watch Dogs”, as to what you think those things are, but let’s start with these.

Health care reform.  The overhaul being proposed is an absolute disaster.  Obama has taken such a hard stand over this because he knows that it could drive a stake through the heart (what’s left of it) of our current Capitalist system.  The three sell-out Republican Senators who are uniting with three Senate Democrats to find an acceptable government health care “compromise” are badly misguided, and are doing a great disservice to their country.  Maybe they’ve seen the “Princess Bride” one too many times and believe that a Capitalist system that’s just “mostly dead”, is preferable to “all-dead”.  Unfortunately, unlike the movie, our nation doesn’t have a “Miracle Max” available to resuscitate us after we’ve been tortured to death...or, to “mostly death”.  This catastrophic bill can’t pass in any form.   That’s stand number one.

Cap and Trade.  Yet another death blow.  This would be the kill shot to our already fragile economy.  In Obama’s own words, if his plan passes, electricity rates would “necessarily skyrocket”.  Whether that means 50%, 100% or more, who knows?  But by his own admission, it would be devastating to Americans’ budgets.  He doesn’t care.  And whether he ascribes to the Al Gore hoax that the planet is burning up, or that, as I suspect, it is just another way to gain power and remove freedoms, it doesn’t matter.  This bill must not pass.  Stand number two.

Card check, or any of it’s ugly step-sisters.  I told you months ago that this union-backed, card check bill was just a way to focus our attention on something we all knew was horrific, while they tried to back-door their actual agenda through…binding arbitration.  All this is part of the “Employee Free Choice Act”.  Gosh, how could anyone not be in favor of “free choice?”  Well, the problem is, we already have it, and through their “1984” type double-speak, this would actually eliminate it.  It can’t pass.  Stand number three.

Let me know which issues you feel are critical.

So, what I’m asking of you, is that you become a Constitutional Watch Dog.  My staff and I can’t be everywhere at once, and as hard as we try, we can’t catch everything.  But with the power of ten million of us being ever vigilant, I like our chances to stop them.

A couple of weeks ago, our new watch dog, Bofie, arrived with her trainer.   I know, no self-respecting man would ever have a dog named “Bofie”.  But hey, no self-respecting man would break down and cry like a three year old girl over a Kleenex commercial on national TV either.  Let’s move past that.

Anyway, we spent two days going over commands and getting the new dog familiar with our old dog...the manly named, Victor.  At one point, the trainer put on his protective suit, and in order to see how the dogs would work together, got them all riled up and asked me to give the attack command.  Both dogs sprinted toward him and then suddenly, stopped.  I thought, what kind of crappy, yet ridiculously expensive dogs are these?  I mean, I might as well go down to the pound and pick up a pair of Chihuahuas, instead of these two sissies.  But as I was headed toward the phone book to find the nearest pound, the trainer stopped me and explained that they had reacted exactly as they’d been trained.  “They’re trained to be worthless woos-cakes”, I asked?  No, he said, their job is to get between the attacker and me, and if the attacker doesn’t move, they just make sure he stays there until help arrives.  If the person is stupid enough to move, they tear his face off, but if he stops…they stop.

That’s why I’ve chosen the name Watch Dogs.  I’d like for you to fiercely guard and defend the U.S. Constitution.  Whenever you see someone attacking it, get between them and it.  Bark like crazy.  Send me “twips”…tips on twitter, email me, call me on the show.  We will then amplify your bark to a national audience.

My family and I always felt safer when we saw our watch dog patrolling our property.  What I’ve noticed in the last two weeks is that two watch dogs, sends a much more powerful message.  Imagine how powerful that message will be with TEN MILLION.

Be vigilant, stay strong,

glenn

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: July 31, 2009, 11:02:57 PM »

I always guessed this would happen. Getting rid of old or disabled people.  :'(

Hello Brother David,

All of this is quite cruel, inhuman, and immoral. I would be a throwaway - among countless others. These are the types of things that happen in communist societies where there is no value on individual life and individual freedoms. The only thing that matters is the PARTY and the POWER of the PARTY. I must also add that dissent and any kind of opposition needs to be wiped out, so that would mean the END of MOST INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS AND FREEDOMS. THE RULE OF LAW AND THE CONSTITUTION CURRENTLY STAND IN THE WAY, AND THEY MUST REMAIN. We don't ever want to be in a position to read about what FREEDOM was like. We have FREEDOM now and we MUST keep it. People MUST begin to understand this administration wants to end FREEDOM and establish TYRANNY over the people. Every facet of FREEDOM is at stake, including the FREEDOM TO LIVE!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Romans 10:8-10 ASV  8  But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach: 9 because if thou shalt confess with thy mouth Jesus as Lord, and shalt believe in thy heart that God raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved: 10 for with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: August 03, 2009, 09:27:55 AM »

Is this really smoking gun of Obama's Kenyan birth?
Attorney files motion for authentication of alleged 1960s certificate from Africa

California attorney Orly Taitz, who has filed a number of lawsuits demanding proof of Barack Obama's eligibility to serve as president, has released a copy of what purports to be a Kenyan certification of birth and has filed a new motion in U.S. District Court for its authentication.

For pictures and further commentary:

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=105764

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1293 on: August 03, 2009, 10:09:39 AM »

Well it has made the Phoenix newspaper now, "The Examiner. There are now 178 news articles on Obama's Kenyan birth certificate. Guess the news finally will win out. Now if only Obama-nation will step down................ Some how though I don't think O'ding-bat will, which is going to cause a national Constitutional crisis.............. One nice thing though, those elected officials NOW have bullets for the "Smoking Gun".

Obama's Kenyan birth certificate acquired

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: August 03, 2009, 10:35:43 AM »

This certificate is already being called a fake and forgery. Even if a real Kenyan birth certificate is brought out it will be dispelled as such by obama and his backers ... the vast majority of congress has proved to be on his side in this issue. After all they are the same individuals that are all for a one world government and open borders. With a one world government our Constitution means nothing and everyone in the world is eligible to be president here.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: August 03, 2009, 12:42:01 PM »

HOORAY!

PRISON TIME!

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: August 07, 2009, 01:04:48 PM »

Obama Peace Plan For Middle East To Be Presented "In A Matter Of Weeks"

timesonline.co.uk

The Obama Administration is close to presenting its plan for peace in the Middle East to Israel and the Palestinians, senior officials said yesterday.

Ehud Barak, the Israeli Defence Minister, said that the long-awaited plan would be disclosed to the parties within weeks and recommended that Israel take the initiative and accept the proposals from its most important ally, with whom it has endured strained ties recently.

“In the coming weeks, their plan will be formulated and presented to the parties,” Mr Barak told the parliamentary foreign and defence committee. “I believe that Israel must take the lead in accepting the plan.”

In Washington, a State Department spokesman confirmed that the plan would be announced by George Mitchell, the special Middle East envoy “in a matter of weeks.”

No details were released, although it is thought that the plan is based on an Arab initiative whereby Israel would gain recognition from the Arab world in return for the creation of a Palestinian state.

Differences still persist between both sides, focusing on control of Jerusalem, the right of millions of Palestinian refugees and their descendents to return to the country and the issue of Jewish settlements in the West Bank.

It is thought that the plan will have a broader regional approach than previous peace efforts, and will include the participation of Syria, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates and Lebanon.

The Palestinian leadership refuses to resume negotiations until all settlement construction ceases. Israel’s right-wing Government has so far been reluctant to commit to that, despite demands from Mr Obama to do so.

One idea that George Mitchell, the Middle East special envoy, discussed with the Israelis has been for Israel to agree to a temporary halt in settlement constructions to get both parties to the negotiating table.

Israel has demanded that the Palestinians who, with the exception of Hamas and other Islamist factions, have long since acknowledged Israel’s right to exist, should officially recognise it as a Jewish state. The more moderate Fatah leadership refuses to do so.

Fatah opened its first party congress in 20 years in Bethlehem yesterday. It was part of efforts to reform itself and shake off its image of corruption, cronyism and ineffectiveness that led to its defeat by Hamas in elections in 2006 and the loss of Gaza to the Islamists in a brief civil war two years ago.

Fatah delegates arrived from across the Arab world but not from Gaza, where Hamas refused to allow them to leave unless the Fatah-dominated Palestinian authority released Hamas prisoners from West Bank jails.

Mahmoud Abbas, the Palestinian President and Fatah leader, urged his people to back renewed peace talks. “We have to continue this way, for the interest of the people,” he said.

Fatah officials have said that as a people under occupation, Palestinians have the right to armed resistance if talks fail and Israeli settlements continue.

Mr Abbas urged his people to resort to civil disobedience rather than renewing the armed struggle which ended with Israel building a security barrier inside the West Bank to prevent attack.

Let us fight the good fight!
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1297 on: August 08, 2009, 01:28:19 AM »

Obama Peace Plan For Middle East To Be Presented "In A Matter Of Weeks" 

Ehud Barak, the Israeli Defence Minister, said that the long-awaited plan would be disclosed to the parties within weeks and recommended that Israel take the initiative and accept the proposals from its most important ally, with whom it has endured strained ties recently.

There is only one problem as I see it............. Man can NOT give away what belongs to God!! God gave the land of Israel to the Jewish people, not man. So if any "land for peace" deal goes thru, those men will be stealing from God. I sure wouldn't want to be in those men shoes, when they have to answer to God for the thief of land.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: August 08, 2009, 05:42:57 AM »

Hello DreamWeaver,

Brother Bob, sadly we know about man's evil, disobedience, and even mockery of God. Israel does not occupy all of the promised land and won't until the Second Coming of CHRIST. YES - all men will answer - and CHRIST will prove that HE IS GOD in Great and Holy Wrath. Israel will be restored - regardless of what men think and do - and every square inch of the Promised Land will go to Israel and her Anointed King - Jesus Christ. Many men laugh at this, but it's a Promise from God that will be fulfilled perfectly. It's amazing how blind the world is, and this certainly includes Israel. Jesus Christ will take what is His, and no combination of powers will be able to stop Him. First, the world will get to wallow in evil that will quickly lead to chaos and horror - 7 years. The world will finally get what it wants - unhampered and unbridled EVIL beyond human imagination. I think that time is near.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Until then - as Christians:

Ephesians 6:11-20 ASV   11  Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.  12  For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world-rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.  13  Wherefore take up the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and, having done all, to stand.  14  Stand therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness,  15  and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace;  16  withal taking up the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the evil one.  17  And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:  18  with all prayer and supplication praying at all seasons in the Spirit, and watching thereunto in all perseverance and supplication for all the saints,  19  and on my behalf, that utterance may be given unto me in opening my mouth, to make known with boldness the mystery of the gospel,  20  for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: August 08, 2009, 11:07:05 AM »

I sure wouldn't want to be in those men shoes, when they have to answer to God for the thief of land.

I know this isn't funny but this reminded me of the line in Roxanne where Steve Martin tells these two trouble makers that he likes their shoes but he wouldn't want to BE in their shoes and proceeds to whup them with his tennis racquet.  I couldn't find that picture so I'll have to use this one........

Let us fight the good fight!
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: August 08, 2009, 11:36:21 PM »

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=106304
"Want a job putting people into camps?"
See copy of ad about mid-page.
See video beneath the ad.
If this doesn't wake you up - I don't know what will!

LIFE WITH BIG BROTHER
National Guard asked to explain 'internment' jobs - 1 of 2
Campaign recruiting for workers at 'civilian resettlement facility'
Posted: August 07, 2009
11:45 pm Eastern

By Bob Unruh
© 2009 WorldNetDaily

An ad campaign featured on a U.S. Army website seeking those who would be interested in being an "Internment/Resettlement" specialist is raising alarms across the country, generating concerns that there is some truth in those theories about domestic detention camps, a roundup of dissidents and a crackdown on "threatening" conservatives.

Are you an enemy of the state? Get the bumper sticker that lets everyone know you have no apologies for being right!

The ads, at the GoArmy.com website as well as others including Monster.com, cite the need for:

"Internment/Resettlement (I/R) Specialists in the Army are primarily responsible for day-to-day operations in a military confinement/correctional facility or detention/internment facility. I/R Specialists provide rehabilitative, health, welfare, and security to U.S. military prisoners within a confinement or correctional facility; conduct inspections; prepare written reports; and coordinate activities of prisoners/internees and staff personnel.

The campaign follows by only weeks a report from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security warning about "right-wing extremists" who could pose a danger to the country – including those who support third-party political candidates, oppose abortion and would prefer to have the U.S. immigration laws already on the books enforced.

The "extremism" report coincided with a report out of California that the Department of Defense was describing protesters as "low-level terrorists."

The new ad says successful candidates will "provide external security to … detention/internment facilities" and "provide counseling and guidance to individual prisoners within a rehabilitative program."

Officials at the state and federal National Guard levels told WND they were unaware of the program, although one officer speculated it could be intended for soldiers trained in the U.S. and dispatched overseas to "detention facilities." From the national level, WND was told, officials were unaware of any such "internment facilities" at which there could be jobs to be available.

NationalGuard.com website, a front page video describes the position thoroughly.

But one of the critics was a YouTube contributor who identifies himself as jafount and titled his video, "Want a job putting people into camps?"

Alarmed by the ads, he said it, the idea "just absolutely blew my mind."

Citing a promise that successful applicants would be trained in "search and restrain procedures," he said, "That's code for violating the 14th Amendment."

Likewise, he said, "use of firearms" is "code for depriving somebody of their life.'

"This is the real deal, I think," he said, citing, among others, the NationalGuard.com link.

"I saw something that didn't sit right with me. I posted it so other people can investigate," he said.

A commenter on the YouTube site pooh-poohed the whole suggestion.

"You have … put out a relatively benign fact, twisted it into something sinister, and then did a tinfoil-hat connection to give a false impression," the forum participant wrote.

The ads list as "advanced responsibilities" issues such as supervision and administration, responsibility for the "prisoner/internee" population, "custody/control for the operation of an Enemy Prisoner of War/Civilian Internee (EPW/CI) camp," and work on "custody/control for the operation of detention facility or the operation of a displaced civilian (CD) resettlement facility."

An editorial at CanadaFreePress.com raised some overall concerns:

Let's look at some of the evidence we have of the U.S. government's intentions to establish the infrastructure that could be used to house large numbers of political dissidents, so-called terrorists and other individuals the U.S. government wants locked up.

HR 645 the National Emergency Centers Establishment Act is a proposed bill in the U.S. House of Representatives that would authorize FEMA to build no less than six National Emergency Centers throughout the U.S. on closed or open military facilities. These facilities are to be designed to house large numbers of people. Why would emergency centers need to be built on closed or open military facilities unless there was a need to keep people from coming in and out of them?

KBR was granted a government contract a few years ago to build facilities to house illegal immigrants. Now with illegal immigration becoming less of a problem with the U.S. economy in the toilet, these facilities can now be used for other purposes.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: August 08, 2009, 11:37:55 PM »

LIFE WITH BIG BROTHER
National Guard asked to explain 'internment' jobs - 2 of 2
Campaign recruiting for workers at 'civilian resettlement facility'
Posted: August 07, 2009
11:45 pm Eastern

By Bob Unruh
© 2009 WorldNetDaily

"This is just another step in the U.S. government's long term plan to build the infrastructure that could be used to contain wide spread popular revolt. Combine this with the swine flu fear mongering and the potential for a mass swine flu vaccination operation and it is easy to see what might happen. Refuse to take their poisonous vaccine and you might risk being locked up as being a hazard to public safety. With the economy in the toilet and more and more people not trusting either political party or the corporate media, the 'powers that be' realize that they need to continue building their martial law apparatus. These Army National Guard job listings are just another piece to that puzzle proving what we already know is being built," the editorial claimed.

At the Examiner, a commentator wrote, "Correctional/internment facilities? I have to admit that the U.S. government is good at one thing: creating fluffy names for evil acts. During WW2, of course, the U.S. didn't have concentration camps, we had 'relocation centers' for hundreds of thousands of innocent Japanese citizens."

The jobs also were listed at Jobsearch.money.cnn.com, employmentguide.com and freedomsphoenix.com.

WND reported when the DoD eventually withdrew a training manual question that linked protesters across the United States to terrorism.

That followed by only weeks a Department of Homeland Security report that described as "right-wing extremists" those who oppose abortion and support secure national borders.

Richard Thompson, president of the Thomas More Law Center, has told WND that as part of his organization's research for its lawsuit over the DHS "extremism" report, it has discovered additional information that it is withholding now but will include in a pending amended complaint.

Thompson said one of the things that sparked the organization's curiosity was a reference by DHS Secretary Janet Napolitano in the original report to not only government resources but also non-governmental resources.

Thompson said the information he has "creates even more concern that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is unconstitutionally targeting Americans merely because of their conservative beliefs."

The earlier DHS report was "Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment." WND has posted the report online for readers to see.

The report linked returning veterans with the possibility of terrorism, and when it was released it created such a furor for Napolitano she has given several explanations for it, including that she would have reworded the report and that it was issued by a rogue employee.

She later apologized to veterans for having linked them to terror.

But Thompson noted that the report also targeted as "potential terrorists" Americans who:

* Oppose abortion

* Oppose same-sex marriage

* Oppose restrictions on firearms

* Oppose lax immigration laws

* Oppose the policies of President Obama regarding immigration, citizenship, and the expansion of social programs

* Oppose continuation of free trade agreements

* Are suspect of foreign regimes

* Fear Communist regimes

* Oppose a "one world" government

* Bemoan the decline of U.S. stature in the world

* Are upset with loss of U.S. manufacturing jobs to China and India, and more

WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE WILL BE ON THE LIST TOMORROW?

Thompson told WND no apology has been offered to the members of any of those classes of citizens.

Thompson said the original "extremism" report was "the tip of the iceberg. … Conservative Americans should be very outraged."

The Thomas More Law Center filed its lawsuit against Napolitano and the DHS on behalf of nationally syndicated conservative radio talk show host Michael Savage, Gregg Cunningham of the pro-life organization Center for Bio-Ethical Reform Inc. and Iraqi War Marine veteran Kevin Murray.

It alleges the federal agency violated the First and Fifth Amendment constitutional rights of the three plaintiffs by targeting them for disfavored treatment and chilling their free speech, expressive association, and equal protection rights. The lawsuit further claims that DHS encouraged law enforcement officers throughout the nation to target and report citizens to federal officials as suspicious rightwing extremists and potential terrorists because of their political beliefs.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 11:43:17 PM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: August 17, 2009, 04:15:51 PM »

Obama administration moves to strike down Defense of Marriage Act
Jim Brown (OneNewsNow) and Associated Press - 8/17/2009 10:25:00 AM

A pro-family leader says the Obama administration is playing dishonest "Chicago-style politics" by defending the Defense of Marriage Act while undermining the law in a court filing.

The Obama Justice Department today filed court papers claiming the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act discriminates against homosexuals. In the meantime, the DOJ lawyers are seeking to dismiss a suit brought by a homosexual California couple challenging DOMA. (See Associated Press story below)

Gary Bauer, president of American Values, says President Obama is committed to repealing DOMA -- but does not want to take the political flak that would come along with it.

"What the White House wants is for a court to strike down the Defense of Marriage Act so that the White House and the president don't have to take the political damage for undermining a law that protects normal marriage," he explains.

Bauer argues Obama is contradicting a campaign pledge. "President Obama ran promising he would be open and transparent, and no longer practice the usual politics of Washington, DC," he notes. "Millions of people voted for him because they thought he would be more honest and more open in the way he governed."

According to Bauer, that is not happening. "What we're seeing here is something more reminiscent of the way they do politics in the wards of Chicago -- saying one thing and then doing something else behind the scenes," he states.

If the Defense of Marriage Act is overturned by White House maneuvering or a federal court, every state would be forced to recognize same-sex "marriages" that are now legal in states like Massachusetts.

Associated Press - WASHINGTON, DC - The Obama administration filed court papers Monday claiming a federal marriage law discriminates against homosexuals, even as government lawyers continue to defend the law.

Justice Department lawyers are seeking to dismiss a suit brought by a same-sex California couple challenging the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act. The administration's response to the case has angered homosexual activists who see it as backtracking on campaign promises made by Barack Obama.

In the court papers, the administration urges the repeal of the law but says in the meantime, government lawyers will continue to defend it as a law on the books.

The government's previous filing in the case angered homosexual rights activists who supported Obama's candidacy in part because of his pledge to move forward on repealing the law and the "don't ask, don't tell" policy that prevents homosexuals from serving openly in the military.

"The administration believes the Defense of Marriage Act is discriminatory and should be repealed," said Justice Department spokeswoman Tracy Schmaler, because it prevents equal rights and benefits.

The Justice Department, she added, is obligated "to defend federal statutes when they are challenged in court. The Justice Department cannot pick and choose which federal laws it will defend based on any one administration's policy preferences."

The law, often called DOMA, denies federal recognition of same-sex "marriage" and gives states the right to refuse to recognize same-sex marriages performed in other states. Obama has pledged to work to repeal the law.

Monday's court filing was in response to a lawsuit by Arthur Smelt and Christopher Hammer, who are challenging the federal law, which prevents couples in states that recognize same-sex unions from securing Social Security spousal benefits, filing joint taxes, and benefiting from other federal rights connected to marriage.

Justice lawyers have argued that the act is constitutional and contend that awarding federal marriage benefits to homosexuals would infringe on the rights of taxpayers in the 30 states that specifically prohibit same-sex marriages.

Earlier this year, Massachusetts became the first state to challenge the law in court.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: August 18, 2009, 06:45:43 PM »

Obama Avoiding the Issue on how National Healthcare Reform Legislation could affect Veterans

Ranking Member of the House Committee on Veterans Affairs, Steve Buyer, responded today to President’s Obama comments at the National Convention of the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) in Phoenix, AZ.

Obama made the following comments in regard to how the national healthcare reform effort would affect veteran’s healthcare:

“And since there’s been so much misinformation out there about health insurance reform, let me say this.  One thing that reform won’t change is veterans’ health care.  No one is going to take away your benefits, that is the plain and simple truth.”

Buyer responded, “What President Obama did not say is how the proposed health care reform bill could subject veterans to a 2.5% individual penalty tax for failure to have ‘acceptable coverage’ as required by the bill.”

“Despite what the President has said, the bill could still negatively affect veterans and has not been fixed,” continued Buyer.  “I will continue to work to ensure that the bill is amended so veterans could not be subject to this tax or adversely affected by any of the other provisions in the bill.”

House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs Ranking Member Steve Buyer said today that he remains committed to fixing problem provisions of H.R. 3200, the national health care reform bill, that could harm veterans, servicemembers and their families.

“While I am generally opposed to H.R. 3200, it is my job as a legislator and an advocate for America’s veterans to improve it as much as possible,” said Buyer.  “I am pleased that two of my six amendments to protect veterans were approved, but I will continue to work on my other amendments that were blocked last week on technicalities.”

Contrary to statements by the Energy and Commerce Committee and the White House, all of the concerns about legislative language in the bill that could harm veterans’ health care have not been addressed.

The House Energy and Commerce Committee unanimously adopted two Buyer amendments to H.R. 3200. One would ensure that veterans and servicemembers who choose to carry additional health insurance, along with care provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) or the Department of Defense (DOD), are not encumbered by provisions within the bill.  Buyer’s other adopted amendment would ensure that the Secretary of Defense and the Secretary of VA retain decision making authority for their respective health care systems, and that the Departments would never be challenged or obstructed by a secretary or commissioner from another sector of government.

However, in its current form, H.R. 3200, could classify certain veterans enrolled in VA health care as not meeting “acceptable” health coverage standards, exposing veterans to punitive new taxes under the “acceptable” insurance definition in the bill.   The first of the remaining Buyer amendments would make it crystal clear that VA health care is “acceptable” coverage and ensure that veterans enrolled in VA health care would never be subject to a two and a half percent penalty tax for failing to have “acceptable” health coverage. 

Buyer has received support for his efforts from many Veteran Service Organizations. In a news release dated August 3, 2009, Disabled American Veterans (DAV) National Commander Raymond E. Dempsey made the following statement:

“I applaud Representative Buyer for moving so quickly to amend this legislation in defense of veterans and their families,” Dempsey said. “His amendments and bipartisan support from Chairman Waxman are big steps in the right direction. But until that floor amendment is made, our concerns are not fully resolved.”

Buyer’s second remaining amendment would require that any new public health insurance plan reimburse the VA in the same manner as other private health insurance plans. Currently, VA has authority to collect payments from private health insurance for treatment of non-service connected conditions.  Private health care collections accounted for approximately four percent of the VA health budget in 2008. Limitations on the VA’s ability to collect third party payments could result in the need for additional funding appropriations.

Buyer’s third remaining amendment, would also exempt members of the National Guard and Reserve from the two and a half percent individual mandate tax.  Under H.R. 3200, if at any time in the course of a year an individual is without health insurance, the individual will be taxed.  Members of the National Guard and Reserve while transitioning from the civilian work force to active duty service could through no fault of their own have a temporary break in health insurance coverage.

Buyer’s fourth remaining amendment would prevent the creation of disincentives to hiring members of the National Guard and Reserve. Similar to the individual tax penalty, H.R. 3200 would levy an eight percent payroll tax penalty against employers that do not provide continuous health coverage to its employees throughout the year. However, providing continuous coverage for National Guard and Reserve members is not always necessary because they frequently transition to and from active duty where they have access to military TRICARE. Buyer’s amendment would prohibit the government from imposing such taxes on employers of National Guard and Reserves members.

Buyer received assurances from House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Henry Waxman that efforts would be made to include the additional amendments prior to final action by the House.

“I want to thank veterans for their support on these issues.  There is much more work that still needs to be done,” stated Buyer.  “I look forward to continuing to work with Veterans Service Organizations and Chairman Waxman to ensure that our nation’s heroes will not be adversely affected by this legislation.”

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: August 18, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »

Of course leave it to obama to punish Veterans for the governments lack of providing promised health care to them.

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 97 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the