Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:19:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Should Christians be watching violent sports?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should Christians be watching violent sports?  (Read 31057 times)
chipster
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 05:45:24 PM »

Maybe I'm wrong, but I love football, wrestling, boxing-very masculine forms of competiton.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 05:50:24 PM »

Maybe I'm wrong, but I love football, wrestling, boxing-very masculine forms of competiton.

I'd rather watch corn grow, then watch any of those things.

chipster
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 05:52:59 PM »

Well, suit yourself then. I'd get way too bored watching the corn...LOL!
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 10:00:58 AM »

I think it would be awesome to see Tito Ortiz, Lennox Lewis, and a couple of others hunker around a pair of knitting needles and go at it Smiley

FIrst one to a scarf wins!!

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 10:16:31 AM »

Grin   Grin    ROFL!

I can almost visualize this. We could get Don King to promote it. Sports would never be the same again.   Grin

ishi

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 03:12:21 PM »

There are many good sports on tv.Soccer, tennis,swimming,running,jumping,just to name a few.
And there are others that are extremely violent.
In any sport ,if the intent is to kill,draw blood or knock somebody's head off.Then i would suggest that one
abstrain from it.
For the bible said we should flee from the appearance of evil,and to bear good fruit..
The flesh profit nothing it is the spirit that gives life.
phillip

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 09:21:01 PM »

Paul, the Apostle, liked sports among them the Olympics, boxing, and running!  He never condemned them but used them to teach spiritual truth!  Many Christians are found in baseball, basketball, Nascar, golf, football, etc., and are a positive influence for Jesus Christ!
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2008, 09:20:22 AM »

Could you site Biblical references for that statement please.  Not a matter of doubt just curiosity because I do not recall any teachings of Paul that included any sporting events.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 09:52:44 AM »

Could you site Biblical references for that statement please.  Not a matter of doubt just curiosity because I do not recall any teachings of Paul that included any sporting events.

Hello Brother Jerry,

I'm going to assume that Phillip is mistakenly thinking about the Apostle Paul's teachings about Christian struggle, finishing the course, finishing the race, fighting a good fight, and winning the prize. I think this is one of the most beautiful descriptions of Christian struggle to please GOD in the Bible. We should know that the prize is Reward from GOD that is over and above Salvation - also referred to beautifully by the Apostle Paul as "Crowns". The ultimate beauty and result from Christian service is to hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

Many people confuse these portions of Scripture with Salvation, especially when the Apostle Paul speaks of "suffering loss" or being "disqualified". This is actually one of the most beautiful Bible Studies for Christians, and it refers to the over and beyond Salvation, the qualities of making JOY more FULL and MORE LOVELY FELLOWSHIP with our LORD AND SAVIOUR, JESUS CHRIST. Brother Jerry, this is one of my favorite Bible Studies, and I learn something new and more beautiful each time. I wish that more Christians understood what Paul was talking about. Paul went through beatings, imprisonment, health problems, and eventual martyrdom, but his thoughts and teachings just became more beautiful as a result. Our Riches in CHRIST are the most beautiful things that a Christian can learn, so I pray that all Christians explore making JOY MORE FULL IN CHRIST! The beautiful portion of Scripture below is just the beginning.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Ephesians 1:18-23 NASB I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. And He put all things in subjection under His feet, and gave Him as head over all things to the church, which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 10:03:22 AM »

Saying that Paul liked sports is stretching it a bit. There is nothing in scriptures that says he liked it. Paul, like many Apostles and even todays preachers, use analogies of those things that people are familiar with. I personally have used situations of war as analogies in a like manner. I definitely do not like war. The Olympics was a big event in the time of Paul's preaching so it is understandable that he would use some of those events as an analogy to get a spiritual point across. Following are some of the verses used by people that say he enjoyed sports.

1Co 9:24  Know you not that they that run in the race, all run indeed, but one receiveth the prize. So run that you may obtain.
1Co 9:25  And every one that striveth for the mastery refraineth himself from all things. And they indeed that they may receive a corruptible crown: but we an incorruptible one.
1Co 9:26  I therefore so run, not as at an uncertainty: I so fight, not as one beating the air.

Gal 2:2  And I went up according to revelation and communicated to them the gospel which I preach among the Gentiles: but apart to them who seemed to be some thing: lest perhaps I should run or had run in vain.

Gal 5:7  You did run well. What hath hindered you, that you should not obey the truth?

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2008, 10:31:14 AM »

Running the good race was the only one I could think of...

And I was trying to think of any others that could possibly be used...thanks for the others as well. 

But yes it would be a stretch to say that Paul liked sports based on any of the verses mentioned so far.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2008, 10:43:07 AM »

Hello Pastor Roger,

YES - We are on the same sheet of music. There are actually many other related portions of beautiful Scripture, and the below is one of my favorites:

2 Timothy 4:5-8 NASB
But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry. For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2008, 11:07:24 AM »

Running the good race was the only one I could think of...

And I was trying to think of any others that could possibly be used...thanks for the others as well. 

But yes it would be a stretch to say that Paul liked sports based on any of the verses mentioned so far.

Hello Brother Jerry,

I'm almost sure that any Scriptures from Paul involving sports are object lessons for Christians. I have a ton of notes somewhere from personal Bible studies I've done on this issue. I haven't found them yet, but I do remember this beautiful study well. There is MUCH more, but many of the Scriptures are not so easily tied to sports, rather of struggle and effort. All of the ones I'm thinking about were for over and above Salvation. The Apostle Paul already had Salvation, but he knew there was more, AND THERE IS MORE!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Philippians 3:14 NASB
I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

shardae

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2009, 09:54:39 PM »

The sports I was referring to would be more like Boxing and Pro Wrestling.   Not Football, Baseball, Volleyball, etc...

I personally believe that watching sports is perfectly fine. I think it is when we watch shows that bring upon sin such as lust,envy,and other impure thoughts that is what is wrong. I am speaking of shows sexual in nature, even some cartoons are completely inappropriate. But as for the example you gave about the fight that everyone went to watch- I think that is horrible because they are getting enjoyment of others' pain.
thatsamir

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2009, 03:27:22 PM »

Hi in my thinking all sport are ok and one should watch them and get entertain but sport that are violent are in some sence create voilence in our mind and God do not life violence. so a Christian should voide it.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 03:51:06 PM by blackeyedpeas » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the