Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:47:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  FAITH LESSONS IN BIBLE STUDIES
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FAITH LESSONS IN BIBLE STUDIES  (Read 25236 times)
islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2007, 02:53:41 PM »

Carlolta,
You pose a very interesting question. For the sake of this faith lesson I am going to ask that you put this question in the Bible Study section starting a new topic. That way it will not confuse others here and give me time to do more research on this question you have ask, because I do not have an answer at this time.  Smiley Smiley

I would very much like you to answer the questions in the above post.

Be not weary in your serving; Do your best for those in need; Kindness will be rewarded by the Lord who prompts the deed.
carlotta

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 11:20:16 PM »

OK, will do.
islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 09:50:31 PM »

If anyone is interested in having me continue this Bible faith lesson please let me know. It seems really strange for me to be the only one who is willing to answer the questions. I can only conclude that you all consider this to be boring. And I do not want to waste your time if this is so. I will await your answer before I continue on...

Be not weary in your serving; Do your best for those in need; Kindness will be rewarded by the Lord who prompts the deed.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 10:10:40 PM »

I have found it most difficult to get others to be active participants in Bible studies. Frequently though many people will read your posts without them posting. I will gladly join in with you on this study if it will help you to continue presenting as i would very much like you to do so. Even if no one else will join in we still know that God's word will not return void.

Isa 55:11  So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2007, 10:48:48 PM »

First let's take a much closer look at the first question.

1. Why did God choose Israel as the land where the plan of salvation would unfold ?

God chose this land for more reasons than just the place where the plan of Salvation would unfold. Although we don't have a clear answer to this question given in scripture we can see it there. The following is an excellent article on this.

ISRAEL’S AMAZING UNIQUENESS

How can a little country some fifty miles wide and a mere one-hundred-fifty miles long keep the world in an uproar all the time?

How can tiny Israel be the constant focus of world news reports, and why should such a small place have the second largest concentration of news bureaus in the world? (1) Why should the little mountain town of Jerusalem always get a lion’s share of world publicity?

How can the Israeli people, numbering about six million, be considered such a mortal threat to the some 200 million heavily- armed Muslims in the Middle East? And why would such an august body as the United Nations spend a third of its time dealing with little Israel? (2)

These things all seem preposterous, but they certainly attest to Israel’s amazing uniqueness as a nation.

For instance, just "down the road" from Jerusalem is the great city of Cairo and the country of Egypt. Cairo, the largest city in Africa, has over ten million people, yet it is rarely mentioned on the evening news. However, almost daily we hear of Jerusalem, whose population is scarcely over a half million. The world’s news bureaus do not jostle each other for space in Cairo or in Egypt. The city and country have been of little concern to the United Nations.

ISRAEL, AN INCREDIBLY TINY PLACE

The nation of Israel and its capital city of Jerusalem are minuscule in comparison with other nations and cities of the world. When compared to the US, Israel is about the size of the little state of New Jersey. The nation of France could hold twenty-six Israels.

Of course, Israel should rightly be compared with countries in her own neighborhood, the Middle East. It is shocking when we realize that the Middle East nations of the Arab League are spread over five million square miles, while Israel consists of less than 8,000 square miles. (3)

Israel is so small that one can easily drive from the biblical border cities of Dan in the north, to Beersheba in the south, in half a day. We have cause to pity the Israeli jet pilots, who in a few careless moments of maneuvers could find themselves flying over hostile Syria or Saudi Arabia.

Israel is tiny, but the nation possesses a geographic and political importance far out of proportion to its size.

CROSSROADS OF THE WORLD

Israel not only commands a disproportionate amount of media coverage, but the land is a veritable crossroads of the world, connecting the continents of Europe, Asia and Africa.

In ancient times, people and armies traveled over the roads situated in what is known as the Fertile Crescent. This strip of fertile land ran from Egypt to the other great centers of Assyria and Babylonia. This ancient super-highway system ran directly through Israel. Thus the great nations of the Middle East always struggled between themselves for this passageway.

One famous ancient route was the Way of the Sea (Via Maris) mentioned in Isaiah 9:1-2, and also in Matthew 4:15-16. This ancient road ran through Capernaum where Jesus established a base for his ministry. The prophet Isaiah, who lived in the eighth century BC, prophesied that a bright light would shine along this highway.

Israel was not only a land bridge from north to south, but also from east to west. Many ancient caravans bearing spices and other items from the east, traveled through the general area. Also, from

the time of Solomon, Israel had periodic access to the Far East via the Gulf of Aqaba and the Red Sea.

Even today, Israel is still a world crossroads. People from almost every nation live in the country and millions more visit it. The Jews themselves have returned home from more than one hundred nations. On a bus ride, or a stroll through the park, one may see people reading newspapers from virtually every corner of the world.

The Jerusalem taxi drivers have the very difficult task of communicating with people from every language background. It often seems that as soon as passengers open their mouths, the drivers are able to communicate in the necessary tongues.

Israel is not just a crossroads for people, but one for birds as well. For instance, twice each year, in spring and again in the fall, millions of birds pass over Israel, as they make their trips to and from Europe, Asia and Africa. In all, there are 121 species of migratory birds, plus another 94 species that come to spend the winter in Israel. There are honeybuzzards, storks, pelicans and many more winged visitors. (4) Some of these birds love Israel so much that they decide to stay, much to the chagrin of fish farmers.

LAND OF AMAZING BEAUTY AND DIVERSITY

The Bible assures us that Israel is the most beautiful land in all the earth. In Ezekiel 20:6 we read:

On that day I swore to them that I would bring them out

of Egypt into a land I had searched out for them, a land

flowing with milk and honey, the most beautiful of all

lands.

The physical setting of Israel is not just beautiful, but it is also extremely interesting and diversified, as we read in Deuteronomy 8:7-9:

For the LORD your God is bringing you into a good land—a

land with streams and pools of water, with springs flowing in

the valleys and hills; a land with wheat and barley, vines and

fig trees, pomegranates, olive oil and honey; a land where bread

will not be scarce and you will lack nothing; a land where the

rocks are iron and you can dig copper out of the hills.

Israel has a vast diversity in its terrain. There is cool, snow-capped Mount Hermon in the north, reaching to an altitude of 9,232 ft. (2,841 m.), and there are the blistering semi-deserts of the Negev in the south. Also, in contrast with the heights of Hermon are the depths of the Jordan Rift and the Dead Sea. This body of water marks the lowest habitable spot on earth, at 1,312 ft. (404 m.) below sea level.

cont'd

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007, 10:50:38 PM »

Israel also enjoys a great variety in climate. When Jerusalemites are shivering in the winter cold, they can take comfort in the fact that they are a mere thirty-minute drive from semi-tropical Jericho, and the warm resorts at the Dead Sea.

Since Israel borders on three deserts, much of the area to the east of its central chain of mountains is desert of some type. This desert runs from the areas around Jericho to the Dead Sea, on to The Wilderness of Zin and then to Eilat.

The amount of rainfall in the country ranges from about 60 inches per year on Mt. Hermon in the north, to less than an inch for Eilat in the south. (5) The central mountains of Israel may be blasted with snow and cold in the winter months, and yet may swelter with an early spring heat wave. The heat wave, or sharav, blowing in from the desert can quickly drive temperatures into the 90 degree F. range ( 32 C.).

In Deuteronomy 6:18, Israel is referred to as ha-eretz ha-tovah, or "the good land." Then again in Psalm 106:24, the Psalmist refers to Israel as "the pleasant land." Even in the hot summer, there are cool, pleasant breezes that come up from the Mediterranean in the afternoon. In the winter, even cities with the highest altitudes like Jerusalem and Zefat, seldom see temperatures drop below freezing. Roses usually bloom all winter in Jerusalem. There are no tornadoes or hurricanes.

DIVERSITY OF FLORA AND FAUNA

The uniqueness of Israel really becomes apparent when we look at the country’s flora and fauna. Because of Israel’s geographic position, linking three continents, there is an amazing variety of plant and animal life. For instance, within the tiny land of Israel there are five distinct vegetation zones. This great variety of life has perplexed naturalists as they have labored to make the proper classifications.

Lambert states, "The rich variety of vegetation zones, make it the meeting ground of plants native to widely differing parts of the earth, plants with such differing origins as Siberia, Western Europe, Inner Asia, North Africa and East Africa." (6)

Israel at present has some 2500 plant types. For the sake of comparison, Egypt with its rich Nile Delta has only 1500. Britain has 1700, and Norway has 1335. "No other place in the world has such floral wealth concentrated within such a comparatively small area." (7)

For instance, in the Hula swampland one might find the tropical papyrus plant flourishing. Papyrus is an African plant and Israel is as far north as it grows. (Cool Or at Ein Gedi on the Dead Sea one might see the Moringa tree, which is a native of Sudan. In the Jordan Valley alone there are some forty varieties of tropical flora.

In the southernmost tip of Israel at Eilat, the visitor is treated to a magnificent desert climate with its special vegetation. For instance, the Doum Palm (Dome Mitzri - Hyphaene thebaica), normally found in Sudan, grows around Eilat. (9) The Doum Palm has a distinguished look with a trunk that forks out about mid-way up giving it the appearance of having two horns.

Numerous animals have ventured in from Africa in the south, or from Syria and points further in the north and have made Israel their home. For instance, the land of Israel marks the southernmost limit in the range of the Siberian wolf. The little coney has come up to Israel from Africa, and Israel and Syria mark its northernmost limits. Israel also has about twenty-five species of bat, from the three continents of Europe, Asia and Africa. (10)

At Eilat, the visitor will see what has been called "one of the three richest coral reefs in the world." (11) From Eilat’s underwater observatory one can see a vast array of colorful tropical fish in their natural habitat. A trip to Eilat is a thrilling and unforgettable experience.

SPIRITUAL UNIQUENESS

Israel is certainly unique in the natural sense, because of its size, location and diversity of climate and wild life. However, its greatest uniqueness is in the spiritual realm. We see this clearly reflected in the pages of the Bible. The Bible, after all, is our guide and authority, not only in matters of theology, but in matters of our everyday lives.

For centuries, preachers and biblical expositors have realized that the frequency of words found in the scripture gives us some indication as to the importance of the subjects. As an example, Christianity rests upon three pillars, as Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 13:13. The pillars are faith, hope and love. When we check out the frequency of these words in the Authorized Version of the Bible, we find that faith appears 257 times, and hope appears 129 times. Love, being the most important of the three, appears 310 times. This is a respectable amount of appearances.

However when we check out the occurrence of "Jerusalem" in scripture we may be amazed to learn that it appears 811 times - more than faith, hope and love combined. Jerusalem is just one of the many names the city is called in scripture. Also, when we search under the subject of "Israel," we may be shocked to find that it appears 2566 times. We should realize by this that "Jerusalem" and "Israel" are subjects very close to the heart of God.

In the scripture, the expression "God of Israel" appears over 200 times. This is only one of several expressions like "God of Jacob," and "God of Abraham," which connect the God of the universe closely with the Jewish people and the land of Israel. These are names by which God wishes to be known. However, these names are deemed "not politically correct" by many in our day.

In the Bible, we read about God’s great attachment to the land of Israel. In Deuteronomy 11:12, we learn that "It is a land the LORD your God cares for; the eyes of the LORD your God are continually on it from the beginning of the year to its end."

We learn in the Bible that Israel is central in God’s plan for the earth. In Ezekiel 38:12, it is mentioned that the land of Israel is at the very center of the earth. The Hebrew word used here is tabbuwr, and in modern Hebrew it means "navel" or "bellybutton." The earth does have a navel, a place where the umbilical cord between heaven and earth was once attached. In Revelation 21:1-4, the Bible indicates that it will someday be re-attached as this world undergoes a re-creation.

In Psalm 76:1 we read, "...In Judah God is known; his name is great in Israel." For thousands of years, God has been busy building a salvation infrastructure in the land of Israel. He has done this so that peoples and nations the world over may fully know him.

In a real sense, "...He has set his foundation on the holy mountain..." (Psa. 87:1). God had to establish the patterns, types, and pictures that would help us understand his great salvation. For instance, the Tabernacle and Temple with all their rites help us understand the sacrifice of Jesus. Without these pictures we would be at a total loss to understand.

Jerusalem, being the very center or hub of God’s redemptive activity, is extremely important to him. We read in Isaiah 49:16, "See, I have engraved you [Jerusalem] on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me."

Israel, and its capital city of Jerusalem, are certain to be the focus of last-day activity. This will transpire as sinful man and his systems collide head-on with God and his coming kingdom. We are assured in scripture that God will gather all nations to Jerusalem for battle (Zech. 14:2). At that time the Lord will fight for Israel and afterward the nations of the earth will know that the Lord is God.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 11:13:31 PM by Pastor Roger » Logged

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2007, 11:14:45 PM »

God knew that these events would take place so He chose Israel for all of these reasons.

islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 12:17:02 PM »

WOW!!  Thank you Pastor Roger, for all that wonderful information, as well as, joining in on the study. So we will continue. In my last group of questions the focus was on standing stones and how they relate to Christianity both then and now. In the reference listed within the DVD, another verse containing  "Standing Stones", is mentioned in 1 Peter 2: 4-17

4 You are coming to Christ, who is the living cornerstone of God's temple. He was rejected by people, but he was chosen by God for great honor.
5 And you are living stones that God is building into his spiritual temple. What's more, you are his holy priests. Through the mediation of Jesus Christ, you offer spiritual sacrifices that please God.
6 As the scriptures say,
"I am placing a cornerstone in Jerusalem," chosen for great honor, and anyone who trusts in Him will never be disgraced."
7 Yes, you who will trust him recognize the honor God has given him. But for those who reject him, "The stone that the builders rejected has now become the cornerstone."
8 And "He is the stone that makes people stumble, the rock that makes them fall." They stumble because they do not obey God's word, and they meet the fate that was planned for them.
9 But you are not like that, for you are a chosen people. You are royal priests, a holy nation, God's very own possession. As a result, you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light.
10  "Once you had no identity as a people; now you are God's people. Once you received no mercy, now you have received God's mercy."
11  Dear friends, I warn you as "temporary residents and foreigners" to keep away from worldly desires that wage war against your very souls.
12  Be careful to live propertly among your unbelieving neighbors. Then even if they accuse you of doing wrong, they will see your honorable behavior, and they will give honor to God when he judges the world.
13  For the Lord's sake, respect all human authority--whether the king or head of state,
14  or the officials he has appointed. For the king has sent them to punish those who do wrong and honor those who do right.
15  It is God's will that your honorable lives should silence those ignorant people who make foolish accusations against you.
16  For you are free, yet you are God's slaves, so don't use your freedom as an excuse to do evil.
17  respect everyone, and love your Christian brothers and sisters. Fear God, and respect the King.

Note: Remember that Peter, was speaking to the Roman Empire under Nero, who was a cruel tyrant. He is not telling believers to compromise their consciences; "We must obey God rather than any human authority", as stated in (Acts 5:29).
But in most aspects of daily life, it is desirable for Christians to live according to the law of their land. Today, some Christians live in freedom and others live under repressive governments. All are commanded to cooperate with rulers as far as conscience will allow. we do this for the Lord's sake so that his message and his people will be respected. If we are persecuted, it should be for obeying God, not for breaking moral or civil laws.

islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2008, 10:03:06 AM »

5. The city gate was important in biblical times because it protected a city against invasion. It was also the place where the judges and rulers of the city sat. The city gate at Tel Gezer, was shown in the fact of the room inside the city gate that had compartments on either side, showing three rooms on one side and three on the other side. These rooms or compartments played a important role in the protection, as well as, the administrative running of the city. In this way the ruling body could meet visitors right inside the city gate and conduct their business there, as well as, this area being the second line of defence for the city should the city gate be broken through.
The city gate with it's six compartment room at Tel Gezer, was said to be from King Solomon's time. So the term used "To sit in the gate", was "To be a Judge".

Give some biblical examples of judges and others who sat in the gate.

In Genesis 19: 1
And there came two angels to Sodom at even; and Lot sat in the gate of Sodom; and Lot seeing them rose up to meet them; and he bowed himself with his face toward the ground.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 10:08:39 AM by islandboy » Logged

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2008, 12:12:06 PM »

The gate, generally an arched entrance with deep recesses and seats on either side, was a place of meeting in the ancient towns of the East, where the inhabitants assembled either for social intercourse or to transact public business, it is the market, the seat of justice, of social intercourse and amusement, especially a favorite lounge in the evenings and a place to obtain news.

Those sitting in this place were not always those that judged, the city magistrates, but sometimes those conducting personal business with each other or just visiting for social reasons. There are some that think that Lot was a magistrate but this conflicts with what we are told in:

Gen 19:9  And they said, Stand back. And they said again, This one fellow came in to sojourn, and he will needs be a judge: now will we deal worse with thee, than with them. And they pressed sore upon the man, even Lot, and came near to break the door.

This gives us an account that Lot had taken the angels to his home bypassing the judges at the gate.

Just a few of the many other places where we see the mention of those sitting in the city gate:

Gen 34:20  And Hamor and Shechem his son came unto the gate of their city, and communed with the men of their city, saying,

Gen 34:24  And unto Hamor and unto Shechem his son hearkened all that went out of the gate of his city; and every male was circumcised, all that went out of the gate of his city.

Deu 21:19  Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place;

Deu 22:15  Then shall the father of the damsel, and her mother, take and bring forth the tokens of the damsel's virginity unto the elders of the city in the gate:

Rth 4:1  Then went Boaz up to the gate, and sat him down there: and, behold, the kinsman of whom Boaz spake came by; unto whom he said, Ho, such a one! turn aside, sit down here. And he turned aside, and sat down.

2Sa 18:24  And David sat between the two gates: and the watchman went up to the roof over the gate unto the wall, and lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold a man running alone.

2Sa 19:8  Then the king arose, and sat in the gate. And they told unto all the people, saying, Behold, the king doth sit in the gate. And all the people came before the king: for Israel had fled every man to his tent.

2Ch 18:9  And the king of Israel and Jehoshaphat king of Judah sat either of them on his throne, clothed in their robes, and they sat in a void place at the entering in of the gate of Samaria; and all the prophets prophesied before them.

carlotta

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2008, 06:21:41 PM »

Hi Islandboy!  Please don't think that I am not reading and appreciating this study.  I haven't been aswering the questions because I haven't had a lot of time to really think about the study, I just read it when I can.  I don't want to just throw in an answer when I might be saying something not very intelligent.  Plus,  I am a terrible typist, I never typed in my life until recently, so it is laborious and tiring for me.  I love outdoor activities, and I would much rather weed an acre than type a page!  That's why my posts are short and (i hope) succint.

But your Bible study is very interesting , and I hope you and Pastor Roger carry on with it, I will read every word.
islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2008, 05:46:47 PM »

Carlotta,
I am glad you are enjoying this Bible study, and I am glad that you are reading along. It is ok that you don't feel up to answering the questions. I am not a great typist either, and I am not sure if I always make perfect sense, but I keep plugging along.  I have found an answer to your question, and so I decided to put it here so that you will read it.  Smiley
Your question involved the verse in Gensis 32: 25.  The preceding passages concern Jacob who had a dream about a ladder extending from the earth into heaven with angels ascending and descending upon it and with the Lord standing at the top of the ladder. Then Jacob who had used a stone for a pillow, took that stone setting it upright as a witness to God that something had happened in that spot.  Verses (1-8) speak about the vision as well as Jacob's fear of his brother Esau. In verses (9-23) Jacob is in fear of his life and calls out to God in earnest prayer for the Lord for deliverance. He also prepared a present for Esau of livestock and servants. He did these things to pacify Esau. In verses (24-32) is where most verses of Scripture speak of Jacob wrestling with a angel or a man.

I looked through all the Bible's I had on hand and found they all spoke of the event the same with no explanation of why Jacob was wrestling and why he won and deserved a blessing. Then at long last I came to Christiansunite, and went into the Bible Study Aids, listed on the left hand side of the page. There I read the Commentaries, and found this under Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary on the Whole Bible.  Genesis 32: 1-32   Here it is as printed:

Verses 1-8, The angels of God appeared to Jacob, to encourage him with the assurance of the Divine protection. When God designs his people for great trials, he prepares them by great comforts. While Jacob, to whom the promise belonged, had been in hard service, Esau had become a prince. Jacob sent a message, showing that he did not insist upon the birth-right. Yielding pacifies great offences. We must not refuse to speak respectfully, even to those unjustly angry with us. Jacob received an account of Esau's warlike preparations against him and was greatly afraid. A lively sense of danger, and quickening fear arising from it, may be found united with humble confidence in God's power and promise.

Verses 9-23,  Times of fear should be times of prayer: whatever causes fear, should drive us to our knees, to our God. Jacob had lately seen his guards of angels, but in this distress he applied to God, not to them; he knew they were his fellow-servants. There cannot be a better pattern for true prayer than this. Here is a thankful acknowledgement of former undeserved favours; a humble confession of unworthiness; a plain statement of his fears and distress; a full reference of the whole affair to the Lord, and resting all his hopes on him. The best we can say to God in prayer is what he has said to us. Thus he made the name of the Lord his strong tower, and could not but be safe. Jacob's fear did not make him sink into dispair, nor did his prayer make him presume upon God's mercy, without use of means. God answers prayers by teaching us to order our affairs aright. To pacify Esau, Jacob sent him a present. We must not despair of reconciling ourselves to those most angry against us.

Verses 24-32,  A great while before day, Jacob being alone, more fully spread his fears before God in prayer. While thus employed, One in the likeness of a man wrestled with him. When the spirit helpeth our infirmities, and our earnest and vast desires can scarcely find words to utter them, and we still mean more than we can express, then prayer is indeed wrestling with God. However tried or discouraged, we shall prevail; and prevailing with Him in prayer, we shall prevail against all enemies that strive with us. Nothing requires more vigour and unceasing exertion than wrestling. It is an emblem of the true spirit of faith and prayer. Jacob kept his ground; though the struggle continued long, this did not shake his faith, nor silence his prayer. He will have a blessing, and had rather have all his bone put out of joint than go away without one. Those who would have the blessing of Christ, must resolve to take no denial. The fervent prayer is the effectual prayer. The Angel puts a lasting mark of honor upon him, by changing his name. Jacob signifies a supplanter. From henceforth he shall be celebrated, not for craft and artful management, but for true valor. Thou shall be called Israel, a prince with God, a name greater than those of the great men of the earth. He is a prince indeed that is a prince with God; those are truly honorable that are mighty in prayer. Having power with God, he shall have power with men too; he shall prevail, and gain Esau's favour. Jacob gives a new name to the place. He calls it Peniel, the face of God, because there he had seen the appearance of God, and obtained the favor of God. It becomes those whom God honors, to admire his grace toward them. The Angel who wrestled with Jacob was the second Person in the sacred Trinity, who was afterwards God manifested in the flesh, and who, dwelling in human nature, is called Immanuel. Jacob halted on his thigh. It might serve to keep him from being lifted up with the abundance of the revelations. The sun rose on Jacob; it is sun-rise with that soul, which has had communion with God.

islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2008, 05:32:55 PM »

6. How might a Christian "sit in the gate" in our culture?
In thinking about the answer to this question, I thought about all the things we are not doing. We have become good at looking the other way when things threaten our morality. We don't speak up and defend our faith in Christianity or in Jesus. We are so afraid of the politically correctness  that we let perversions happen in our streets and on our TV's and in teaching in our schools. We have become a passive people. So how might we "sit in the gate"? By doing all the things that we don't do now and more. Defend the faith and stand up for our Lord and Saviour. Keep your feet on solid ground.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 07:06:28 PM by islandboy » Logged

islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2008, 07:10:46 PM »

FAITH  LESSON  2 :  WET  FEET

Read Joshua 3: 1-17       and     Matthew 3: 13-17
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 07:22:23 PM by islandboy » Logged

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2008, 08:32:19 PM »

Jos 3:1  And Joshua rose early in the morning; and they removed from gotcha2tim, and came to Jordan, he and all the children of Israel, and lodged there before they passed over.
Jos 3:2  And it came to pass after three days, that the officers went through the host;
Jos 3:3  And they commanded the people, saying, When ye see the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, and the priests the Levites bearing it, then ye shall remove from your place, and go after it.
Jos 3:4  Yet there shall be a space between you and it, about two thousand cubits by measure: come not near unto it, that ye may know the way by which ye must go: for ye have not passed this way heretofore.
Jos 3:5  And Joshua said unto the people, Sanctify yourselves: for to morrow the LORD will do wonders among you.
Jos 3:6  And Joshua spake unto the priests, saying, Take up the ark of the covenant, and pass over before the people. And they took up the ark of the covenant, and went before the people.
Jos 3:7  And the LORD said unto Joshua, This day will I begin to magnify thee in the sight of all Israel, that they may know that, as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee.
Jos 3:8  And thou shalt command the priests that bear the ark of the covenant, saying, When ye are come to the brink of the water of Jordan, ye shall stand still in Jordan.
Jos 3:9  And Joshua said unto the children of Israel, Come hither, and hear the words of the LORD your God.
Jos 3:10  And Joshua said, Hereby ye shall know that the living God is among you, and that he will without fail drive out from before you the Canaanites, and the Hittites, and the Hivites, and the Perizzites, and the Girgagotcha2es, and the Amorites, and the Jebusites.
Jos 3:11  Behold, the ark of the covenant of the Lord of all the earth passeth over before you into Jordan.
Jos 3:12  Now therefore take you twelve men out of the tribes of Israel, out of every tribe a man.
Jos 3:13  And it shall come to pass, as soon as the soles of the feet of the priests that bear the ark of the LORD, the Lord of all the earth, shall rest in the waters of Jordan, that the waters of Jordan shall be cut off from the waters that come down from above; and they shall stand upon an heap.
Jos 3:14  And it came to pass, when the people removed from their tents, to pass over Jordan, and the priests bearing the ark of the covenant before the people;
Jos 3:15  And as they that bare the ark were come unto Jordan, and the feet of the priests that bare the ark were dipped in the brim of the water, (for Jordan overfloweth all his banks all the time of harvest,)
Jos 3:16  That the waters which came down from above stood and rose up upon an heap very far from the city Adam, that is beside Zaretan: and those that came down toward the sea of the plain, even the salt sea, failed, and were cut off: and the people passed over right against Jericho.
Jos 3:17  And the priests that bare the ark of the covenant of the LORD stood firm on dry ground in the midst of Jordan, and all the Israelites passed over on dry ground, until all the people were passed clean over Jordan.

Mat 3:13  Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.
Mat 3:14  But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?
Mat 3:15  And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.
Mat 3:16  And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
Mat 3:17  And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the