Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 07:14:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286978 Posts in 27572 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Wild Weather
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wild Weather  (Read 51627 times)
HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 11, 2008, 11:48:03 PM »

Brother Tom,
I'm glad to hear that it wasn't near you.  When I lived in the south I saw some to the damage from some storms that had struck but was never in an area that was hit.  It can be pretty devastating.

In Christ,
Yvette  Roll Eyes

Let us fight the good fight!
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2008, 11:47:37 AM »

The tornado season throughout tornado alley ranges from March through June although it is not uncommon to see tornadoes throughout the whole year. Tornado season usually starts earlier in the southern and western portions of tornado alley than it does in the area I'm in (Illinois). I'm not sure about the rest of the area but Illinois has had very few tornadoes this year so far compared to what is considered "normal".

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 12, 2008, 12:30:30 PM »

GOOD MORNING PASTOR ROGER AND EVERYONE!

If I understand correctly, there's been a shift of one of the major air current jet-streams. There's never been a highly defined pattern of what to expect, but there does appear to be big changes over the last 5 years in terms of where tornado ACTIVITY is most likely to happen. I think we've seen a large number of examples over the last couple of years that represent odd places for tornadoes to occur. Recent examples involve New York, Florida, and other States on the East coast. There's also been odd tornado activity in Northern States that normally don't have tornadoes. Maybe there's a study being done about odd tornado activity. If so, the Al Gore types will try to connect it with the Global Warming con game.

It should also be quickly known that man has no control or effect over phases of the Moon, ocean currents, or changes in the jet-streams. However, man's vanity has increased with folks like Al Gore, so we should keep things like this a secret from him. Al Gore and his friends might figure out a way to extort or swindle more money with information like this. Major weather research centers like Norman, Oklahoma should place warning posters around the center with Al Gore's picture on them.   Grin 

I'd hate to see Al get more ideas (i.e. moon tax, ocean tax, jet-stream tax).

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 12, 2008, 12:42:47 PM »

GOOD MORNING PASTOR ROGER AND EVERYONE!

Good Morning.

I'm sure that those thoughts will cross their minds eventually.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 12, 2008, 09:58:31 PM »

It should also be quickly known that man has no control or effect over phases of the Moon, ocean currents, or changes in the jet-streams. However, man's vanity has increased with folks like Al Gore, so we should keep things like this a secret from him. Al Gore and his friends might figure out a way to extort or swindle more money with information like this.

That's funny, but I wouldn't put it past them.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2008, 01:09:07 PM »

Twister touches down

A wild weather system lashed Southern California on Thursday with fierce thunderstorms that unleashed mudslides in wildfire-scarred canyons, spawned a tornado and dusted mountains and even low-lying communities with snow and hail.

The National Weather Service issued tornado warnings for parts of Riverside County about 55 miles east of Los Angeles and area residents flooded TV stations with pictures and video of funnel clouds and at least one tornado on the ground.

Powerful wind or a funnel cloud toppled a tractor-trailer on a highway and freight cars on nearby railroad tracks, said Riverside County fire spokeswoman Jody Hageman. One person was rescued from the wrecked truck.

"It got real windy, the sky got real dark," said James Smith, a manager at a fitness center at nearby March Air Reserve Base.

Michael Ritter was scrambling to put away lawn furniture in his backyard in Riverside when he spotted a tornado and grabbed his camera.

"It looked like one of those dirt devils and then it got bigger. I've never seen anything remotely as big," Ritter said.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2008, 01:10:22 PM »

Wild weather hammers Southern California

A severe-weather system that brought hail storms, tornadoes and heavy rains to much of Southern California had cleared considerably by Friday morning.

There was only a 20% chance of thunderstorms in Los Angeles County in the afternoon, National Weather Service meteorologist Jamie Meier said.

"Things have calmed down significantly," Meier said. "But we are still going to keep a close eye on the situation for the afternoon."

On Thursday, a freakish weather system flooded streets in Moreno Valley, unleashed mudslides in the fire-scarred canyons of the Santa Ana Mountains and transformed some neighborhoods with a dusting of snow and hail.

California Highway Patrol Officer Alex Santos watched twin twisters bear down on Interstate 215 in Riverside County.

Santos, 40, said he saw one of the tornadoes topple a tractor-trailer and overturn several boxcars on the train tracks nearby in a cloud of dust and debris. The truck driver had to be cut out of the cab and suffered lacerations and a back injury, he said. Santos later visited the victim in the hospital.

In Baldwin Park, a San Gabriel Valley suburb east of Los Angeles, children donned yellow kitchen gloves as they threw snowballs at each other. Others squealed with delight as they used boogie boards to slide across lawns and sidewalks buried inches deep in hail.

The National Weather Service issued tornado warnings for parts of Riverside County about 55 miles east of Los Angeles and area residents sent photos and video of funnel clouds to local television news stations.

Michael Ritter was scrambling to put away lawn furniture in his backyard in Riverside when he spotted a tornado and grabbed his camera.

"It looked like one of those dirt devils and then it got bigger. I've never seen anything remotely as big," Ritter said. "We could hear the wind from a mile away and see the debris flying up. I thought, that's the real thing."

Earlier Thursday, mud flows swept down canyons in neighboring Orange County.

Evacuation orders were issued for a few hours in Williams, Modjeska and Trabuco canyons, areas devastated by a 28,000-acre wildfire last fall, Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Mike Blawn said.

A handful of residents at the top of Williams Canyon were temporarily stranded, fire officials said.

Aerial TV footage showed thick layers of mud surrounding homes as residents picked their way outside and began to clear properties with shovels. A road in Trabuco Canyon was impassable.

Late Thursday, swift-water dive teams rescued a man in a nearby creek. He had been riding a motorcycle along the creek when a flash flood knocked him from his bike and swept him three miles down a river. The man pulled himself to safety on an island but was trapped by high water on all sides.

The dive team assisted the Orange County Fire Authority in getting the man from the water.

April Brown, who runs a propane store in Modjeska Canyon with her husband, said she watched a creek swell during a half-hour downpour.

"You could just hear the boulders in the creek moving and popping and crashing into each other," Brown said. "I saw trees going down the creek."

The National Weather Service issued numerous flash-flood warnings through the day as thunderstorms pushed across the state's southern counties from metropolitan Los Angeles south to central San Diego County and eastward through Riverside and San Bernardino counties.

Localized street and freeway flooding swamped cars and jammed traffic around the region.

Lightning sparked many brush fires in northern and eastern San Diego County but they were quickly doused, said Nick Schuler, a spokesman for the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

Unusually cold late-season weather wasn't limited to Southern California, which just last weekend baked in 100-degree highs.

In the Sierra, about 2.5 inches of snow fell early Thursday in the Mammoth Lakes area and as much as six inches of snow in upper elevations there, said Scott McGuire, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Reno.

Lake Tahoe had as much as an inch of snow overnight above 7,000 feet. Squaw Valley reported an overnight temperature of 19 degrees, and the temperature remained at 25 degrees at 8,500 feet in the Lake Tahoe area at midday Thursday. Temperatures were in the upper 40s to low 50s at lake level, McGuire said.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2008, 11:22:23 PM »

Tell me about wild weather, we had snow here yesterday and this morning. Shocked  This is the same system that slammed California.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 24, 2008, 12:09:05 AM »

Tell me about wild weather, we had snow here yesterday and this morning. Shocked  This is the same system that slammed California.

Brother Bob,

We were due to have some wild and rough weather here tonight, but it has missed us to the North so far. We'll just have to wait and see what happens for the rest of the night. I heard a news clip a few minutes ago that several tornadoes were on the ground in Kansas.

I have a really nice weather alert radio that flashes green when everything appears to be safe for our county. It flashes red when storms get closer, and it goes audible for watches and warnings. I'm a little bit hard of hearing, so I have the volume set wide open. So, it's impossible to miss the alerts on bad nights. Did I tell you that my wife ISN'T hard of hearing?   Grin

We're also supposed to get hit over the weekend. The snow where you live tells me there's a mixture of cold and hot air slamming together somewhere, and something always has to give when that happens. There are many other factors, but that usually builds big and powerful storms here. I'll be praying that GOD watches over the people in this part of the country over the weekend.

Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 24, 2008, 12:23:50 AM »

We certainly did have some wild weather.  In the L.A. Basin not so much (just 10 minutes of rain yesterday)...but other areas in and around L.A. got the hail, heavy rain, snow and tornadoes.  The hail in part of L.A. lasted till late night and kids had fun playing in it.

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 26, 2008, 03:52:22 PM »

Violent storms kill 8 in Iowa and Minnesota

Powerful storms packing large hail, heavy rain and tornadoes made for a deadly Memorial Day weekend across the nation's midsection, killing at least seven people in Iowa and a 2-year-old child in Minnesota.

Iowa Homeland Security administrator Dave Miller said seven people were killed Sunday by a tornado in northeast Iowa—five from Parkersburg, a town of about 1,000 some 80 miles northeast of Des Moines—and two from nearby New Hartford. At least 50 injuries were reported.

"It's been a long time since we've had those kinds of injuries and deaths reported," Miller said.

Witnesses reported parts of Parkersburg—particularly the town's south side—were reduced to rubble, including most of the town's high school. The Des Moines area had heavy rain and lightning Sunday night with wind gusts of 70 mph.

Warning sirens sounded early enough to give residents time to seek shelter, said Parkersburg Mayor Bob Haylock.

"Without that, we would have a tremendous amount of injuries and loss of life," Haylock said. "People were down in their basements and waiting it out."

Iowa Gov. Chet Culver issued a disaster proclamation for Black Hawk, Buchanan and Butler counties, a move that helps coordination between state and local authorities.

The storms came after three days of violent weather elsewhere across the nation. Rural Oklahoma was battered Saturday and storms in Kansas a day earlier killed at least two people.

Tim Halback, of the National Weather Service in Romeoville, Ill., said the storms were caused by a huge warm air mass that had been centered over the southern and western great Plains several days ago. When it began moving northward into Minnesota and Canada, a cold high followed in its wake, sparking severe storms.

The weather system stretched from western Kansas to northwestern Minnesota early Monday and was headed through Illinois toward Wisconsin and Indiana. As much as 4 inches of rain may have fallen overnight in extreme southern Illinois, the weather service said Monday.

In Minnesota, a violent storm that struck the St. Paul suburb of Hugo killed a 2-year-old child and critically injured a sibling of the victim, Washington County Sheriff Bill Hutton said. The children's parents also were hospitalized, as were three other adults and another child.

Washington County, Minn., Sheriff Bill Hutton said Monday that 40 to 50 homes were uninhabitable in Hugo and 150 to 200 others were damaged to some extent. Gov. Tim Pawlenty planned to tour the storm-ravaged town Monday.

Power had been restored Monday to most of the more than 15,500 customers blacked out in the area, primarily in Hugo and Forest Lake to the northeast, Xcel Energy spokeswoman Patti Nystuen.

Hugo Public Works Director Chris Petree said his family took shelter in their basement, huddling against a foundation wall, before the storm lifted his house off the ground and completely wiped out the second floor.

"I put my daughter down first, my wife on top of her and then I bear- hugged on top of them," Petree said.

"All you hear is glass breaking and wood tearing and breaking in half," Petree said.

Farther south, at least three weak tornadoes touched down Sunday in the Texas Panhandle. No injuries or building damage were reported in the sparsely populated region, meteorologist Jason Jordan said.

About 100 people have been killed by U.S. twisters so far this year, the worst toll in a decade, according to the weather service, and the danger has not passed yet. Tornado season typically peaks in the spring and early summer, then again in the late fall.

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 26, 2008, 05:06:09 PM »

Wow... this is some crazy stuff.  I'm looking up because I'm expecting to be "air-lifted" outta here any time now!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 26, 2008, 05:47:24 PM »

Wow... this is some crazy stuff.  I'm looking up because I'm expecting to be "air-lifted" outta here any time now!

Hello GrammyLuv,

Grin  Thanks - I needed this laugh, but I too am expecting to be "air-lifted" out of here soon. I know that we're both looking forward to the RAPTURE - not a tornado. It looks like it's going to be a rough year for tornadoes, and they are popping up in places that rarely have that kind of weather. I've lived with this kind of weather all of my life, so I feel sorry for people being surprised by these violent storms for the first time. This is a matter of prayer.

NOW - back to the pleasant topic we were both thinking about:

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 NASB
But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus. For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words.

1 Corinthians 15:50-58 NASB
Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality. But when this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then will come about the saying that is written, "DEATH IS SWALLOWED UP in victory. "O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR VICTORY? O  DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR STING?" The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law; but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord.

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 26, 2008, 06:00:30 PM »

Hello GrammyLuv,

Grin  Thanks - I needed this laugh, but I too am expecting to be "air-lifted" out of here soon. I know that we're both looking forward to the RAPTURE - not a tornado. It looks like it's going to be a rough year for tornadoes, and they are popping up in places that rarely have that kind of weather. I've lived with this kind of weather all of my life, so I feel sorry for people being surprised by these violent storms for the first time. This is a matter of prayer.

But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus. For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words.

Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality. But when this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then will come about the saying that is written, "DEATH IS SWALLOWED UP in victory. "O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR VICTORY? O  DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR STING?" The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law; but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord.

Amen, my friend!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: May 26, 2008, 07:05:33 PM »

Hello GrammyLuv,

AMEN!!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the