Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:26:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  PC Bible software?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PC Bible software?  (Read 3776 times)
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2003, 08:34:57 PM »

This may have been covered in a previous thread, so my apologies if it has.

For those who use their PC's as a study aid, which bible software do you find to be the most useful in your study efforts?  

Currently I have an old version of PC Study Bible ver. 2 which has 3 Bible versions KJV, NKJV, and NIV, Concordance, Naves topical bible, Nelsons Bible dictionary, Spurgeons Encyclopedia of Sermons, Treasury of Scripture Knowledge, Strongs, Greek/Hebrew dictionary,Vines Expository Dictionary, maps, photos, and bible outlines, and Matthew Henry's commentary.

For study purposes all of these come in useful at some time or other.   For me, I think the most useful part of all that is the concordance, and Strongs Greek/Hebrew dictionary.  Its very easy to do word searches throughout the bible, and quickly see how the word is used in other situations.  The Henry's commentary is good also, but I like to get my own impression from a given verse before looking into what he has to say about it.  I also like being able to see KJV and NIV side by side on various passages, which can help give a better understanding of what the author intended.

I was considering upgrading (which is what prompted this question), but to get what I have now in version 4 is not cheap.  I am just wondering what others on the board use, how they use it, and what features makes bible study more fruitful for them.
Thanks

Grace and Peace!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 08:38:03 PM by 2nd Timothy » Logged

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2003, 09:20:35 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to 2nd Timothy,

I have been using e-Sword for several years and must admit that I am completely spoiled by it. The features and components are too lengthy to list, AND IT IS FREE.

http://www.e-sword.net/

That's right, it is free with no strings attached and probably has more features and functions than commercial Bible study packages that may cost $500 or more.

You can download all of the components from the URL listed above. I still use a slow dial-up modem, so I opted to order the CD. There is a donation requested of $15 if you want the CD. I have no problem at all in trying to help support the ministry of the author, Rick Meyers. He is doing a wonderful work in trying to distribute excellent Bible study tools in numerous languages. By the way, the software, functions, and features are all first class.

Love In Christ,
Tom

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 02:08:29 AM »

Wow!  What a treasurous resource!  Thanks for the link Tom.

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 03:56:16 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to 2nd Timothy,

You are most welcome. I have the whole works installed, except for some of the language translations I would never use (i.e. Chinese, Thai). Everything is visible on a single page as point and click. You also have the quick option for full screen in any category: Bible, Commentary, Dictionary, Topic Notes, Study Guides, etc. The various modules also interact with each other automatically as you go. Click on a Bible Verse and everything with information about that Verse shows a symbol you can click on. The same thing happens when you click on a word. Old guys like me can make the fonts whatever size we want. The search functions are great, and the rest of the feature list is too long to post.

If you install it and don't like it, I'll buy you a gift certificate for a big mac, biggie fries, and a large soft drink.   Grin

In Christ,
Tom

Raphu

Sojourner

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 05:36:37 AM »

The online Bible is a good one too, and probably even larger than the E-Sword. I have both because each has properties that are nice. The online Bible has the benefit of user modules that are created and submitted by the users.
Here's a couple of links:

http://www.onlinebible.net/

http://www.ccel.org/olb/

http://www.ccel.org/olb/tolbss/components/books/books.htm

Hosea 11:10  They shall walk after the LORD: he shall roar like a lion: when he shall roar, then the children shall tremble from the west.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the