Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:47:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Immoral behavior
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Immoral behavior  (Read 94442 times)
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #720 on: March 11, 2009, 10:31:49 PM »

The media wants people to believe that sex isn't a part of God's plan. They try to dirty it up, as much as possible.  They push LUST not a committed relationship of love. Satan has about 99.9% of the media covered with perversion, and people complain about a .01% of a billboard that says sex is FOR a Godly marriage!!

I personally think these kind of sermon series are bad.

Let me also say that I totally agree with the fact that pastors and churches need to let their people know what the Bible says on the topic of sex, but I don't agree that it should be done in the way they're doing it.

We're supposed to be in the world, but not of it. This kind of teaching should be happening behind closed doors in counseling, not on the pulpit, and advertised on billboards and flashy videos and or provocative pictures.

But this is only my thoughts on this matter.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #721 on: March 12, 2009, 05:23:39 PM »

Coed showers going statewide?
Family group says 'gender identity' bill threatens women, children
Posted: March 11, 2009
11:35 pm Eastern

© 2009 WorldNetDaily

A "gender identity" plan for coed showers, locker rooms and other public facilities already implemented in one suburban Maryland county could be going statewide, according to alarmed members of a pro-family organization.

Maryland Citizens for a Responsible Government says a measure is pending in the state legislature that is similar to Montgomery County's permissive ordinance and now presents "one of the greatest threats to privacy, safety and security that Maryland residents have ever known."

"The proposed law adds a broadly defined category of 'gender identity' to the state's existing anti-discrimination law," the organization said in an alert. "Because the bill's broad definition of 'gender identity' includes 'expression and behavior,' men are not required to have undergone a sex change operation."

Ruth Jacobs, chief of the organization, said, "The effect of this bill is to give special rights to men who want to dress like women, but completely disregards the safety of vulnerable women and children.

"Restrooms and showers will be opened up to cross-dressing or female affirming men, thereby allowing undressing in front of women and children in a woman's locker room," she said.

"We believe that the bill should be dropped," she said. "Even the senator sponsoring the bill admits that he does not understand gender identity issues."

The pending proposal, HB474/SB566, which has begun working its way through the state House already, would impose fines for "discriminating" in public accommodations and allows imprisonment and fines for housing violations.

The bill provides a "private cause of action" giving any cross-dressing employee the right to sue employers in state court, which could result in judgments of hundreds of thousands of dollars, the citizen group said.

MCRG said the proposal would force individuals, employers, religious institutions, roommates, schools and public accommodation facilities "to ignore reality and disregard a person's legitimate 'assigned sex at birth.'"

"Johns Hopkins Hospital stopped sex reassignment surgeries because it does not cure Gender Identity Disorder, yet HB474/SB566 enforces ideology over opinions of respected medical professionals and the needs and concerns of citizens," said a 10-point MCRG fact sheet.

The measure also would protect a circumstance that changes, the group said.

"How can employees and citizens know what 'gender choice' is being made or even which pronouns 'should be used?'" the group said. "'Appearance, expression and behavior' can change from moment to moment and with each different situation."

Significantly, the opposition group points out, it could create dangers.

"With the bill's vague wording, all an adult male has to do to gain legal access to facilities normally reserved for women and girls is to indicate, verbally or non-verbally, that he has a sense of being female at the moment," the organization said.

"If HB474/SB566 passes, the use of sex (male or female biology) in such diverse areas as all-girls’ schools, school games, sports teams, bathrooms, locker areas, showers, or in sleeping and living areas in homes, prisons, and shelters will become a crime and subject to compensatory damages up to $400,000, as well as punitive damages," the organization said.

"In Montgomery County, women were afraid and outraged when a man in a blue dress went into female locker areas in a health club. He would have been protected under this proposed law," the group said.

It was the Montgomery County measure that originally had enraged citizens' groups. Nearly 27,000 county residents signed petitions to allow voters to decide on the county's similar plan when it was adopted by elected officials.

The officials, however, spent more than $80,000 on legal fees to obtain a court ruling that the petition signature number provided to organizers was incorrect, so the initiative ultimately was not put before voters.

"Bills such as these will require schools as 'public accommodations' to begin tolerance training. In Montgomery County, children are taught that transgenderism is doing anything outside of the gender norm and that one can change their body to match the way they feel. There is no mention of the risk of steroids, that gender identity confusion is a disorder or that some transsexuals regret their decision. No one has studied the effect on a child’s developing gender identity of having a kindergarten teacher begin the school year as a male and end as a female. HB474/SB566 plays Russian roulette with vulnerable children," the group said.

According to state records, the bill's goals are to begin "prohibiting discrimination based on gender identity with regard to public accommodations, housing, and employment; prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity in commercial leasing; … (and) making specified remedies and procedures regarding discrimination applicable to discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity."

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #722 on: March 12, 2009, 05:33:04 PM »

I can see the pedophile community, and rapist will love this. Cry

MCRG said the proposal would force individuals, employers, religious institutions, roommates, schools and public accommodation facilities "to ignore reality and disregard a person's legitimate 'assigned sex at birth.'"

What issues, those that want to be queer, cross dresser, or transsexual do so by choice. We are each made in the image of God!! Yet man thinks he is better then the Lord. Boy, are they in for a surprise one day, when they face the Lord!!

There is a reason each of the sexes have different restrooms. Next thing you know the states obscenity laws will be changed to immoral standards.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 13, 2009, 10:21:01 AM »

Game for 6-year-olds pushes same-sex marriage
Online version of children's classic features new twist

The online version of a popular board game from many Americans' childhood includes an option for players to choose homosexual marriage and child-rearing as a way of life.

Through the Shockwave.com website, even children can download and play a free trial version of The Game of Life, the first game ever created by Mr. Milton Bradley in 1860.

The player's first option in the online version is to choose a persona based on pictures that clearly depict men and women. Shortly thereafter, the game invites players to choose a spouse, regardless of the potential spouse's sex.

One concerned mother wrote to WND about her experience with downloading the game to play with her daughter.

"You know how kids are," the mother told WND. "My daughter noticed right away (even before I did) and clicked on one of the girls instead of one of the men and then asked, 'Mom, how come I can marry a woman?' And then that led into a lot more questions that, quite frankly, I was not ready to talk to my 6-year-old about."

WND followed the mother's example and played a game as "Jennifer," who chose to marry another woman. The course of the game eventually added four children to WND's lesbian couple.

The mother claims to have posted an objection on the game's review board, only to have it removed by an administrator.

"I went back to the web site and left a very respectful review of the game just stating that this kind of thing should be left out of kids' games, and the Shockwave.com administrator removed my post, stating it was inappropriate," the mother told WND. "I had no idea how insidious they were being with pushing the homosexual agenda."

WND again followed the mother's example, posting the following comment under the screen name "newseditor1":

"Your guidelines ask us to 'keep your language safe for the kids,' yet here's a game where children may choose homosexual marriage and child-rearing," WND wrote. "Many sections of society accept this as normative, but many also would consider this too mature a theme for children. Others would consider this downright offensive. Is it appropriate to include, for example, lesbianism in this game?"

Shortly thereafter, WND's comment was posted, but the word "homosexual" was altered to "****sexual," presumably because the stand-alone prefix "homo" is sometimes used in a derogatory fashion.

WND sought comment from Hasbro, the company that now owns the rights to Milton Bradley games, but received no response.

The original 1860 Milton Bradley game, known as the Checkered Game of Life, was completely redesigned in 1960, bearing almost no resemblance to the original. The new game board included the winding track, spinner and plastic buildings familiar to many.

The redesign also included car game pieces that could be filled with plastic pegs representing a player's growing "family." The board game did not prevent players in any way from placing two pink or two blue pegs in the front seat, thus depicting a homosexual couple.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #724 on: March 13, 2009, 11:53:07 PM »

Game for 6-year-olds pushes same-sex marriage
Online version of children's classic features new twist

They should be a shamed of themselves, corrupting the youth to their thinking!! One day the will have to answer to Jesus for this, and I feel sorry for them right now.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: March 14, 2009, 03:03:34 AM »

GOD'S WORD tell us that things will happen nearing the End Days of this Age of Grace. Putting it mildly, we're watching EVIL PERVERSION and a tiny minority trying to push it as NORMAL on the rest of us. GOD already RULED on these issues, and HIS RULING stands regardless of what politicians do.

Decent people will NOT accept these things and will call them what they are: ABOMINATIONS IN THE EYES OF GOD - EVIL PERVERSION! GOD WON'T PUT UP WITH THESE THINGS LONG! YES, I do pity them, and I pray for them. JESUS CHRIST is their ONLY answer.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: March 17, 2009, 09:48:32 PM »

Webster's dictionary redefines 'marriage'
Now includes references to same-sex relationships

One of the nation's most prominent dictionary companies has resolved the argument over whether the term "marriage" should apply to same-sex duos or be reserved for the institution that has held families together for millennia: by simply writing a new definition.

"I was shocked to see that Merriam-Webster changed their definition of the word 'marriage,' a word which has referred exclusively to a contract between a man and a woman for centuries. It has now added same sex," YouTube user Eric B. noted to WND.

"The 1992 Webster's Dictionary does not mention same sex at all," he wrote.

The new definition references "marriage" as the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife. But the definition also includes "the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage."

One commenter on the YouTube site said it's just part of the campaign by homosexual activists to take control of the definition of the word and make it align with their goals.

"The word 'marriage' has never been synonymous with same sex relationships," said the forum participant. "What is happening is the meaning is being changed to trigger it becoming synonymous, not the other way round."

A dictionary version from 1913 that has been posted online not only didn't mention same-sex "marriage," it supplemented its definition of traditional marriage with references from the Bible.

Learn here what "The Gay Agenda" means to you, your family, your church and your nation!

"Marriage," it said, is "the act of marrying, or the state of being married; legal union of a man and a woman for life, as husband and wife … Marriage is honorable in all. Heb. xiii.4."

It also references a quote from "Matt. xxii. 2," "The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king which made a marriage for his son."

But today, even the basic  Webster's New World College Dictionary lists "same-sex marriage," and the Learner's Dictionary cites "a similar relationship between people of the same sex."

A WND e-mail requesting a comment or an explanation from Webster on its process of changing definitions did not generate a response.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 18, 2009, 03:24:03 AM »

I found this on another Christian forum http://www.kmox.com/John-Burroughs-School-Prom-Invitation/4008958

It is so sad that people think hell is a big party.

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 18, 2009, 03:35:46 AM »

Hello Brother David and All,

Things like this should make Godly people cry because we know the rest of the story. The story never ends, but it does have a final destination for eternity. What GOD'S WORD says about HELL is REAL, just like everything else in the Holy Bible.

The lost don't like to hear the TRUTH, but the TRUTH is the only thing that can set them free. They are slaves of the devil, and the devil doesn't want his slaves to hear the TRUTH. The devil hates one name above all others - JESUS CHRIST.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Jude 1:4 ASV  4  For there are certain men crept in privily, even they who were of old written of beforehand unto this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying our only Master and Lord, Jesus Christ.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: April 08, 2009, 01:29:55 PM »

Rick Warren disavows support for Prop. 8

California mega-church pastor and author of The Purpose Driven Life Rick Warren says he apologized to his homosexual friends for making comments in support of California's Proposition 8, and now claims he "never once even gave an endorsement" of the marriage amendment.

Monday night on CNN's Larry King Live, Pastor Rick Warren apologized for his support of Prop. 8, California's voter-approved marriage protection amendment, saying he has "never been and never will be" an "anti-gay or anti-gay marriage activist."

"During the whole Proposition 8 thing, I never once went to a meeting, never once issued a statement, never -- never once even gave an endorsement in the two years Prop. 8 was going," Warren claimed.

However, just two weeks before the November 4 Prop. 8 vote, Pastor Warren issued a clear endorsement of the marriage amendment while speaking to church members. "We support Proposition 8 -- and if you believe what the Bible says about marriage, you need to support Proposition 8," he said.

The following is a complete transcript of Warren's comments just weeks before the Prop. 8 election:

"The election's coming just in a couple of weeks, and I hope you're praying about your vote. One of the propositions, of course, that I want to mention is Proposition 8, which is the proposition that had to be instituted because the courts threw out the will of the people. And a court of four guys actually voted to change a definition of marriage that has been going for 5,000 years.

"Now let me say this really clearly: we support Proposition 8 -- and if you believe what the Bible says about marriage, you need to support Proposition 8. I never support a candidate, but on moral issues I come out very clear.

"This is one thing, friends, that all politicians tend to agree on. Both Barack Obama and John McCain, I flat-out asked both of them: what is your definition of marriage? And they both said the same thing -- it is the traditional, historic, universal definition of marriage: one man and one woman, for life. And every culture for 5,000 years, and every religion for 5,000 years, has said the definition of marriage is between one man and a woman.

"Now here's an interesting thing. There are about two percent of Americans [who] are homosexual or gay/lesbian people. We should not let two percent of the population determine to change a definition of marriage that has been supported by every single culture and every single religion for 5,000 years.

"This is not even just a Christian issue -- it's a humanitarian and human issue that God created marriage for the purpose of family, love, and procreation.

"So I urge you to support Proposition 8, and pass that word on. I'm going to be sending out a note to pastors on what I believe about this. But everybody knows what I believe about it. They heard me at the Civil Forum when I asked both Obama and McCain on their views."

During his CNN interview on Monday, Warren expressed regret for backing Prop. 8. "There were a number of things that were put out. I wrote to all my gay friends -- the leaders that I knew -- and actually apologized to them. That never got out," he admitted.

Additionally, Pastor Warren said he did not want to comment on or criticize the Iowa Supreme Court's decision last week to legalize same-sex "marriage" because it was "not his agenda."

Bryan Fischer with the Idaho Values Alliance says Warren is abdicating his biblical role as a pastor. "For Pastor Warren to say that shoring up marriage is not something that's on his agenda is just something that's hard to believe for somebody who believes the Bible is our rule for faith and practice," Fischer notes.

Dr. Jim Garlow, the senior pastor of Skyline Wesleyan Church in the San Diego suburb of La Mesa, helped spearhead the Prop. 8 effort in California. Garlow admits he is confused and troubled by Pastor Warren's decision to apologize for supporting Prop. 8.

"Historically when institutions and individuals back away from convictional biblical truth, it is driven primarily by one single factor -- and that is the respectability of other people. In other words, much more caring about what other people think about them than what God thinks about them," he concludes.

Pastor Warren did not respond to a request from OneNewsNow for an interview.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: April 08, 2009, 02:01:39 PM »

It appears that Warren is just a politician and has deserted GOD'S WORD. I've had questions about some of his actions for years, and they've now been answered. Sadly, they have a wolf behind the pulpit who wants to destroy the flock.

There is NO shame or apology for GOD'S WORD and the GOSPEL! Mr. Warren needs to choose a more appropriate profession, one where he has less opportunity to harm the LORD'S WORK. "Calling evil good" is the devil's work.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #731 on: April 25, 2009, 11:58:57 AM »

You made a difference: ChristianU2uber
Concerned readers help police find boy persecuted on YouTube

A 12-year-old boy who had been mercilessly ridiculed and even told to kill himself by members of the YouTube.com community has removed himself and his videos from the website, thanks in part to people reporting the cruel treatment to the authorities.

As WND reported, the boy, known for certain only by his screen name ChristianU2uber, made a series of videos about himself and about his faith for a popular video-sharing website, YouTube, which generated over a million views and tens of thousands of comments.

His video "Gay Marriage – Is It Right or Wrong?", however, started a fierce backlash from the online community, as harsh and often profane comments poured in ridiculing the boy, calling him names and even calling for the boy's death.

"Kill Christianity, and then kill yourself," responded a YouTube community member identified as greenacidfusion.

A commenter calling himself WizzyBoy 520 added, "How do you know the Bible isn't full of lies? You, just like everyone who is against gay marriage, is a mentally retarded bigot. No exceptions. Now go to h---."

The response was so brutal, many WND readers, bloggers and concerned YouTubers began seeking protection for the boy, including intervention by the police.

Upon hearing the outcry, WND has learned, Internet crime specialists in Texas were able to locate the boy and his family and persuade ChristianU2uber to remove the videos and receive counseling.

"I wanted to update you that we have located this 12-year-old, and we spoke to him and his parents," said Sgt. Chris Meehan of the Collin County Sheriff's Office's Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force, in an email. "The minor has decided to remove his videos from his site and delete his YouTube account. Further, we will be providing him with counseling to get through this matter."

Meehan explained that the attention generated by WND and concerned bloggers resulted in "numerous cybertips reported to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children regarding ChristianU2uber."

"How many times have we heard about – after the fact – the warning signs were there on websites, Facebook, MySpace, where if people had taken the time, perhaps tragedy could have been prevented," wrote Lyndon Evans on his FOCUS blog, when he learned of the treatment ChristianU2uber was getting on YouTube. "Please, contact whoever you feel can help this young man."

Evans, who publishes news links, blogs and other information of interest to lesbian, "gay," bisexual and transgender readers, was joined by several voices in the LGBT community in issuing a call to help, not condemn, ChristianU2uber.

"In the world of Internet blogs and commentary, there's a wide field upon which the left, right and center can mix it up, argue and point up and hammer out their differences – sometimes with the use of fairly harsh language," writes Kilian Melloy, a contributor to Boston's EDGE. "But recently, both left and right seem to have come to an agreement in the case of a 12-year-old boy identified as ChristianU2uber."

"The consensus," Melloy continues, "ChristianU2uber, also known as Scott, needed some form of intervention on his behalf, given the tone and tenor of his postings and other Internet communications, as well as the often rough-and-tumble comments that his postings have drawn from anonymous users."

According to Sgt. Meehan, many people heeded that call for intervention, and Scott – if that's ChristianU2uber's real name – has stepped out of YouTube's harsh spotlight for now, with others around to help him.

"I know that you and numerous others have expressed concern over his well-being and safety," Meehan wrote to WND. "I can tell you that he is doing well, and he will receive any help he needs to deal with any issues he is having."

The ones that need to be tracked down and counseled are those that were attacking this young man.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: April 26, 2009, 04:46:34 PM »

Brothers and Sisters,

The above is the NORM, not the exception!

HOWEVER - BUT - REGARDLESS --  They're asking for hate crime legislation for GAYS - NOT CHRISTIANS, JEWS, AND PEOPLE WHO STATE THEIR VIEWS PEACEFULLY!

All of the outrageous examples of hate and violence are from the people seeking additional protection. Think about this:  THIS HATE CRIMES LEGISLATION is simply POLITICAL - NOTHING MORE! Everything protection is being sought for is already against the law IF YOU WANT TO TAKE THE POLITICAL ASPECTS OUT OF THIS.

NOW LETS GET REAL:  If there was a REAL NEED for HATE CRIMES LEGISLATION, it wouldn't be for GAYS, ETC. - it would be for CHRISTIANS AND PEOPLE WITH MORALS who are non-violent and don't commit CRIMES AGAINST PERSONS OR PROPERTY. OTHERWISE, they would be trying to address a problem that doesn't EXIST! WHY? - THOUGHT POLICE AND NOTHING MORE! AGAIN - if they want to address REAL VICTIMIZATION AND REAL CRIMES, the laws already exist, and the victims aren't GAYS, ETC. IN FACT - INCREASINGLY - THE GAYS ARE COMMITTING REAL CRIMES AGAINST PERSONS AND PROPERTY BELONGING TO CHRISTIANS AND PEOPLE OF MORALS NOT ASSOCIATED WITH VIOLENT CRIMES OF ANY KIND! You want an analogy that will help to illustrate this - OK:  IN WORLD WAR TWO - HITLER ASKS FOR PROTECTION FROM THE JEWS! AFTER ALL, THOSE JEWS WERE DANGEROUS AND VIOLENT!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #733 on: May 11, 2009, 02:00:20 AM »

Flags Over Nazareth

Islamists Prepare For Papal Visit
By David Bedein & Samuel Sokol, Middle East Correspondents
Friday, May 08, 2009

Nazareth, Israel — Next Thursday, May 14, Pope Benedict XVI will visit Nazareth and appear at the Church of the Annunciation.

The Muslims of Nazareth are split in their reactions, but some have responded viscerally.

Multiple Islamic signs, in both Arabic and English, with some bearing the image of the Dome of the Rock, have been hung in the large plaza outside of the church in anticipation of the Pope’s arrival.

One such sign reads:  “And whoever seeks a religion other than Islam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers.”

While another sign reads: “In the name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful Say (O Muhammad): He is Allah, (the) One and Only Allah, the Eternal, Absolute. He begetteth not nor was He begotten And there is none Like unto him,” in a quote attributed to the Quran.

As The Bulletin reported on April 21, Islamists in Nazareth have handed out thousands of flyers denouncing the Pope and stating that he is unwelcome.

“We announce from Nazareth that we are oppose to the Pope’s visit. A person who cursed the prophet, who stood at the head of the effort to convert Muslims in Darfur, Indonesia and the Muslim world, attacked Islam, praised America and drew near and fraternized with the butcher of Gaza is unwanted here,” the flyer read.

There has been no action on the part of the municipality to remove these signs prior to the Pope’s arrival.

Flags Over Nazareth
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Matthew 12:31-32 "Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. 32 "Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #734 on: May 12, 2009, 10:38:22 PM »

Sri Lanka artillery barrage kills 378, doctor says
By KRISHAN FRANCIS, Associated Press Writer Krishan Francis, Associated Press Writer Sun May 10, 2:15 pm ET

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka – An unrelenting hail of artillery in Sri Lanka's war zone killed at least 378 civilians, according to a government doctor who survived the attack as shells flew near the makeshift hospital. More than 100 of the victims were children, the U.N. said Sunday.

A rebel-linked Web site blamed the attack on the government, while the military accused the beleaguered Tamil Tigers of shelling their own territory to gain international sympathy and force a cease-fire.

The attack marked the bloodiest assault on ethnic Tamil civilians since the civil war flared again more than three years ago. Health officials said a hospital in the war zone was overwhelmed by casualties, and the death toll was expected to rise.

Reports of the fighting are difficult to verify because the government bars journalists and aid workers from the war zone, but the U.N. confirmed a heavy toll from the attack.

"It seems beyond dispute that hundreds of civilians were killed overnight including more than 100 children," U.N. spokesman Gordon Weiss said.

The first shells slammed into the tiny strip of rebel-controlled area along the northeast coast Saturday evening, soon after a Red Cross ship that had been evacuating wounded civilians left the area, health officials said.

About 50,000 civilians are crowded into the 2.4 mile- (4 kilometer) long strip of coast along with the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam fighters, who have been fighting for 25 years for a homeland for minority Tamils.

Artillery pounded the area throughout the night, forcing thousands to huddle in makeshift bunkers, said Dr. V. Shanmugarajah, a health official in the region.

Hours after the attack, the dead and wounded continued to pour into the hospital, he said. As of Sunday afternoon, the bodies of 378 civilians had been brought in and were being buried by volunteers, but the death toll was likely far higher since many families buried their slain relatives where they fell, he said.

The rebel-linked TamilNet Web site said rescue workers had counted 1,200 civilians killed in the attack. Among the dead, was the rebels' military spokesman Rasiah Ilanthirayan, according to TamilNet.

Bodies were laid out in rows on the mud outside the hospital, some of their faces covered with mats and sheets, according to photos from the area. One small boy was stripped to the waist, his head covered in a bloody bandage and his mouth agape.

The hospital was struggling to cope with the 1,122 wounded civilians.

The government had recently sent medical supplies, but a shortage of physicians, nurses and aides made treatment difficult, Shanmugarajah said.

"We are doing the first aid and some surgeries as quickly as we can. We are doing what is possible. The situation is overwhelming; nothing is within our control," he said.

More than half the hospital staff did not turn up for work because their homes were attacked and many of the wounded went untreated for more than 24 hours, said another health official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

The shelling had subsided early Sunday, but a new bombardment began about 6 p.m., the official said.

Sri Lanka artillery barrage kills 378, doctor says

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the