Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:33:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  California Fires
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: California Fires  (Read 7353 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2007, 07:07:28 PM »

Evacuations Urged for San Diego County Neighborhoods

Multiple fires in San Diego County prompted authorities to evacuate certain neighborhoods on Oct. 22.

KFMB radio reported 60 homes in the San Diego suburb of Rancho Bernardo had burned.

As of 10:30 a.m., county authorities had called for mandatory evacuations of Rancho Santa Fe as well as the Olivenhain Dam area. Mandatory evacuations were also ordered for Lakeside at 13100 Willow Road.

Published reports said 250,000 people had been called to evacuate. Pomerado Hospital and a nearby nursing home were being evacuated, according to published reports.

The fire in suburban San Diego came on the heels of the Coronado Hills Fire, Mission Fire, Witch Fire and Harris Fire.

County officials advised residents to call 2-1-1 for nonemergency calls related to the fire.

Authorities were closing portions of Interstate 15.

San Diego Gas & Electric reported power outages in a number of communities, and called on residents to conserve electricity.

San Diego Superior Court will be closed Monday and Tuesday, Oct. 22 and 23, according to the court Web site.

The port of San Diego called on nonessential employees to stay home.

UC San Diego Extension canceled Oct. 22 classes.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 07:12:34 PM »

Although many of these fires are spots from north of LA to the Mexican border and from the desert to the coast it is the worst in the San Diego County area. The San Diego Zoo has been closed, The San Diego Wild Animal Park with all of it's animals are endangered. The edge of the San Diego city area is now endangered. With the Sanata Anna winds being so strong right now many of these fires are hitting through the area like tornadoes. There are many thousands of homes that have been destroyed so far and the death toll is not currently known.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 07:25:47 PM »

San Diego County wildfires prompt evacuations

Santa Ana winds-stoked wildfires in San Diego County on Monday prompted evacuations of thousands of residents.

Sailors and Marines awoke to smoky skies and mandatory evacuations in some areas threatened by several growing wildfires as windy conditions and single-digit humidity levels threatened some suburban neighborhoods and closed some key interstate highways.

At least two off-base military family housing areas affected by the wildfires — in Ramona and Eucalyptus Ridge — have been evacuated by mid-morning, according to Capt. Matt S. Brown, a Navy Region West spokesman.

“We are working on establishing a tent city at North Island and also an evacuation center at Naval Base San Diego and North Island,” Brown said. “We have set up call centers at each of the [bachelor enlisted quarters] and Navy lodges ... so they are standing by for calls.”

Brown noted that some work schedules at Navy bases have been curtailed. “It’s key and essential personnel right now,” he said, adding that “no major operations scheduled, and actually most of our ships are in port right now.”

One of the wildfires, called the Witch fire, jumped west across Interstate 15, the key central north-south highway, near the northern San Diego suburb of Rancho Bernardo, which prompted mandatory evacuations across a broad region toward the coast. Officials were evacuating Palomar-Pomerado Hospital in the area.

Firefighting crews were battling blazes in several areas, including two in Fallbrook, Calif., a town southeast of Camp Pendleton near Oceanside.

The fires and high winds have interrupted utilities, including cellular phone service, and caused electrical power outages in several areas around the county. Concerns about the fires and smoke prompted authorities to close many schools around the county, and several high schools were opening as evacuation centers.

Navy medical officials at San Diego Naval Medical Center on Monday canceled elective procedures and surgeries, said spokeswoman Sonia Hanson said Monday. The medical center, known as Balboa Hospital, and local clinics remain open, although “selected services may be limited due to staff evacuations,” Hanson said. Departments were mustering their personnel and families. “Safety is our foremost concern,” she said.

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 09:27:37 PM »

I just got home from work and found that the fires had traveled south, and then I read your post.  Please pray for my son and his wife who are stationed in San Diego.  My son is in the Navy.  Pray for their safety please.  And then for strength and courage as I'm sure they are busy helping out.  My son is a strong Christan.

Let us fight the good fight!
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 09:48:50 PM »

My prayers are with all that are in this area. I will be saying an extra prayer for your family. Do they live in the vicinity of these fires or are they closer to the bay?

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 10:02:42 PM »

They are in Alpine, CA.  I'm not even sure where that is.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 10:15:08 PM »

I am pretty familiar with the area. I was stationed in the area for 8 years. That's on I-8 just east of San Diego. Currently there is a fire that is just north of there and another one that is south of Alpine. Both fires are still quite a distance from Alpine and are headed west away from there. The freeway is open from there to the Naval bases where they are evacuating Military personnel to.

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 10:22:39 PM »

OH!  Thank you Pastor Roger!  I did finally locate it on a map but had no idea where the fires were in relationship.  Well I feel a bit better then.  Thank you so much!  Kiss

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 10:29:04 PM »

You're most welcome.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 09:07:24 AM »

Orange and San Diego counties call for more evacuations overnight

Wind-whipped firestorms destroyed more than 700 homes and businesses in Southern California on Monday, the second day of its onslaught, and more than half a million people in San Diego County were told to evacuate their homes.

The gale-force winds turned hillside canyons into giant blowtorches from Santa Barbara to the Mexican border. Although the worst damage was around San Diego and Lake Arrowhead, dangerous fires also threatened Malibu, parts of Orange and Ventura counties, and the Agua Dulce area near Santa Clarita. New evacuations came overnight in Orange and San Diego counties, as the menacing winds refused to abate.

Late Monday night, new blazes threatened homes near Stevenson Ranch and in Soledad Canyon in northern Los Angeles County. The Soledad Canyon fire burned multiple mobile homes and evacuations were underway, fire officials said.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, calling it "a tragic time for California," declared a state of emergency in seven counties and redeployed California National Guard members from the border to support firefighters. President George W. Bush today declared an emergency, which authorizes federal agencies to coordinate relief.

Schwarzenegger stressed how much California officials have learned since the devastating wildfires of October 2003, which raged over much of the same terrain. But as the day wore on, it became clear that any hard-earned knowledge was no match for natural forces overrunning the ability of firefighters to control them.

"The issue this time is not preparedness," said San Diego City Council President Scott Peters. "It's that the event is so overwhelming."

Pat Helsing, 59, evacuated her home in the Scripps Ranch area, much as she had done four years ago.

"It seems scarier this time," she said. "The fire is everywhere in San Diego now. You don't know where you can go to escape it."

By late Monday, Southern California fires had burned 269,000 acres -- about 420 square miles -- and destroyed at least 892 buildings. Remarkably, only one person was known to have died, although it was possible that more fatalities would be discovered. At least 37 people had been injured, including 17 firefighters.

Many schools, including those in Malibu, were closed today.

On Monday, near Malibu, where fire Sunday had burned into the center of town, the focus was in the hills, where firefighters on the ground and in the air were trying to prevent flames from marching across Las Flores Canyon and into Topanga Canyon.

"It's trying to move toward Topanga Canyon, parallel to the coastline," said Manhattan Beach Battalion Chief Frank Chiella, near the Rambla Pacifico area. Firefighters were attempting to stay ahead of the fire and funnel it toward the ocean.

"If you let it get wide, that's a lot more homes it could take out," Chiella said. "We're doing what we can to keep it from getting bigger; we've only lost one home today."

Two fires on opposite sides of Lake Arrowhead had burned about 2,000 acres by Monday evening, destroying 138 buildings and prompting the evacuation of hundreds of residents from mountain resort communities.

In northern Los Angeles County, the Buckweed fire had swept through 35,000 acres by Monday evening, destroying 20 homes and two bridges, and causing the evacuation of about 15,000 people. It was burning toward Magic Mountain, but was partially contained.

In Orange County, where a suspected arson fire stretched the resources of local crews, residents along Calle Cabrillo in Foothill Ranch were packing cars and preparing to evacuate.

"We've been through this before," Karen Royer said. "I believe in God, and I know everything will be good."

Minutes later, a plume of dark smoke lifted over a ridgeline.

"Can I revise that?" she said. "Now I'm scared."

The Orange County blaze, called the Santiago fire, was leaping relentlessly in a southeasterly direction, burning ominously close to the Foothill Ranch and Portola Hill communities. About 500 firefighters and two water-carrying helicopters stood between the fire and hundreds of homes, Battalion Chief Kris Concepcion said.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 09:12:54 AM »

Southern California Ablaze, Hundreds of Thousands Evacuated

A dozen wildfires raging out of control from Los Angeles to Mexico have devoured homes and business and have turned hundreds of thousands of residents into evacuees.

The San Diego area is ringed with fires fanned by Santa Ana winds gusting to 60 miles per hour.

The National Weather Service says the fire-prone weather will get worse before it gets better. A "red flag warning" is in effect for all of extreme southwestern California through Wednesday afternoon for gusty northeast to east winds and low humidity.

An upper level high pressure system located off the Northern California Coast combined with surface high pressure over the Great Basin will continue to bring hot, dry and strong Santa Ana conditions with explosive fire growth potential to the coast through Tuesday, the National Weather Service says.

Winds are forecast to slowly diminish Tuesday night and a slow cooling will begin Thursday with cooling expected on the weekend.

The Harris Fire, which began around 9:30 am Sunday east of Harris Ranch Road and north of state Route 94, has now charred over 20,000 acres.

San Diego County emergency officials say, "Mapping and accuracy of acres is difficult due to rapid rate of fire spread. There is 0% containment and the fire’s spread is moving westerly towards Otay Lake. Firefighters are focusing all efforts on protection of life, property, and firefighter safety."

San Diego Gas and Electric's Southwest major transmission line remains shut down. SDG&E says the line, known as the Southwest Powerlink, was taken out of service on Sunday afternoon for safety reasons, because the fire was threatening the line. "We currently are cleaning the transmission line of contaminants from the fire, and we expect it to be back in service tomorrow morning," the utility said

At this time there are 30,000 customers affected by 71 power outages due to the fire in locations scattered throughout the county.

"With the unpredictable nature of the fire, we do not have an estimate of time of restoration, the utility said. "We ask the public for their patience and cooperation with outages, some of which are necessary to ensure the safety of fire personnel. We will be out there as long as the fires continue to burn."

All available SDG&E crews are in the field, working closely with fire personnel to ensure the safety of the public and of firefighters. The company says it has called for assistance from several other utilities in the Western region.

Fire officials say all airtankers and helicopters are currently flying, including a DC-10 supertanker from CAL FIRE.

Citizens along the fire's edge are requested to stay away from any area that has helicopters or airtankers dropping retardant or water. The aircraft are trying to protect structures and have to be very cautious when people are on the ground nearby.

"Damage Assessment Teams have been ordered. We should get better numbers on number of homes damaged or destroyed once they are deployed," said the San Diego County Emergency Management Office.

California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger last night proclaimed a state of emergency in seven counties. The proclamation will release state funds to ensure that adequate financial resources are available to rapidly attack the fires and reimburse critical emergency response costs, the governor said.

Late last night, fire officials evacuated the entire town of Ramona, a community of 36,000 located about 35 miles northeast of San Diego as flames raced across the Witch Creek Area east of Ramona.

Area roads were jammed as Ramona residents fled the Witch fire as it shot flames more than 100 feet into the air and crackled across 12,000 acres.

An evacuation order came later for San Pasqual Valley between Ramona and parts of Escondido to the northwest. Communities north and south of Ramona were evacuated earlier.

The fire is spreading to the west and south. The fire has crossed I-15 at Lake Hodges heading southwest to the communities of Carmel Mountain Ranch, Mira Mesa, and 4-S Ranch and south toward Peutz Valley, Harbison Canyon, and the western part of Alpine.

San Diego County officials say 50 homes have been destroyed in the Poway to the southwest of Ramona, 70 homes have been destroyed in Escondido, six homes have been burned in Rancho Santa Fe, and an unknown number of structures destroyed in Rancho Bernardo.

Mandatory evacuations have been ordered in Poway from Rattlesnake Creek to the south, Midland Road to the west, the San Diego Aqueduct to the east, and Lake Poway Road to the north.

Evacuation points are being established at Mount Carmel High School at 9550 Carmel Mountain Road and Poway Community Park at 13094 Civic Center Drive.

Fire officials say the head of the fire is burning in the same path as the Cedar Fire in 2003.

Evacuations have been ordered for San Diego's Scripps Ranch area, which was badly damaged by the 2003 fire.

Evacuees leaving Escondido can travel to the west to take shelter at Mission Hills Church at 400 Mission Hills Court in San Marcos. Evacuees are advised that all major westbound city streets are open west of I-15 at this point.

But evacuees are advised that I-15 is closed northbound and southbound from Highway 78 to Highway 56.

Evacuation centers have been set up for military and Department of Defense personnel on Naval Base San Diego at the Admiral Prout Field House, as well as Naval Base Coronado. Families with pets are encouraged to report to the Admiral Prout Field House. The Murphy Canyon Chapel is operating as a family information center. The chapel can be reached at 619-556-0603. Military families can call 619-556-9399 for more information.

CAL FIRE reports that the Rice Fire in Rice Canyon, North San Diego County has crossed I-15 and Hwy 395. Numerous structures have been destroyed in Fallbrook and the entire town of Fallbrook is now being evacuated.

cont'd

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 09:13:15 AM »

The Rice fire is currently estimated at 300 acres and is 0% contained. High winds blowing harder than 40 miles per hour are hampering suppression efforts. The Rice fire started at 4:15 this morning and the cause is under investigation.

South of San Diego, the city of Chula Vista has requested residents who live in the following areas to voluntarily evacuate - Rolling Hills, San Miguel, East Lake Woods, Bella Lago. This is precautionary and is suggested due to unpredictable fire predictions.

Evacuations are beginning in a large area of Valley Center, near the Bear Valley area. Valley Center High School is the evacuation center. Residents in Valley Center should play close attention to news reports because of the serious fire threats.\

Fires are still breaking out in the San Diego area. The Coronado Hills Fire south of Cal State San Marcos started today has burned 300 acres. Structures were lost in Discovery Hills and San Marcos, but firefighters now have this fire 100 percent contained.

The County Board of Education has ordered all San Diego County public schools to be closed on Tuesday.

All classes at the University of San Diego are cancelled through Tuesday due to extremely poor air quality caused by regional wildfires, which are still uncontained. Classes are canceled for Tuesday, and non-essential employees are encouraged to stay home. At this point, no evacuation is necessary.

University administrators say they will continue to monitor this changing situation and, should the need arise, be prepared to evacuate the campus to ensure the health and safety of resident students.

The university is developing a list of names and contact information of current students, families of current students and alumni able to provide temporary housing for students and other members of the campus community who have been displaced or in the event of a campus evacuation. If you can provide such space, please e-mail news@sandiego.edu with your name, contact information and space availability.

The San Diego County Board of Supervisors’ regular meeting scheduled for Tuesday is cancelled. Agenda items will be carried over to the next scheduled meeting on Wednesday, October 24.

All residents who wish to volunteer their time are advised to call Volunteer San Diego at (858) 636-4131 or sign up to volunteer online at www.VolunteerSanDiego.org.

All residents who wish to donate emergency supplies and personal necessities are advised to call Goodwill Industries at (888) 446-6394 to find their local Goodwill drop-off site.

Farther north in Los Angeles County the Buckweed Fire in the Mint Canyon Road area at Sierra Highway has burned 35,500 acres and is uncontained. The fire started Saturday and is burning toward Magic Mountain. Mandatory evacuation for 15,000 residents remains in effect.

The communities of Santa Clarita, Leona Valley, Green Valley, Acton, Agua Dulce, Mint Canyon are threatened.

Fifteen homes have been destroyed and three homes have been damaged. Three civilians and one firefighter have been injured. At least 925 firefighters are battling the blaze.

More fires are breaking out across the area. The Magic Fire at Old Cross Road and Magic Mountain Parkway in Los Angeles County started at 2:15 this afternoon and has already burned across 500 acres, threatening multiple structures.

National forests are not immune to the fires sweeping the area. The Ranch Fire in the Angeles National Forest in Los Angeles County has burned 41,000 acres since October 20 and is 10 percent contained.

As a result of extreme fire activity, and to protect public health and safety, Angeles National Forest officials are implementing a forest closure, effective Tuesday. The closure will last until the extreme conditions subside.

While the closure is in effect, going into or being upon National Forest System lands, roads, or trails within the Angeles National Forest is not allowed.

Individuals or organizations holding special use permits for sanctioned activities within the Forest are exempt from this order.

Evacuations continue in Chiquito Canyon, Hasley Canyon, Val Verde, Hopper Canyon and toward Filmore. Three homes and four outbuildings have been destroyed, and 500 residences, 50 commercial properties and 50 outbuildings are threatened. There are 767 firefighters assigned to this incident.

In upscale Malibu Canyon, populated by celebrities and entertainers, the Canyon Fire has burned 3,800 acres and is just eight percent contained. This fire started Saturday and is burning in Malibu Canyon south of Pacific Coast Highway where 500 homes have been evacuated. Three injuries have been reported.

Hundreds of Malibu residences and commercial buildings are threatened, while 1,750 firefighters work to contain the flames.

Both mandatory and voluntary evacuations are in effect for various parts of the Malibu area. Call the Canyon Fire Information Line at 323-881-2411 to find out more.

In Orange County, the Santiago Fire has burned 15,200 acres in the area of Santiago Canyon Road at Silverado Canyon Road in Irvine and is now 30 percent contained.

Two thousand residences in Foothill Ranch are threatened, two damaged, and one destroyed and several area roads are closed. One injury has been reported.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 09:19:20 AM »

Bush declares emergency over wildfires

President George Bush today declared a state of emergency, paving the way for federal aid to help fight an epidemic of wildfires that have struck Southern California.

The declaration follows a Monday request by California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger for federal assistance. Officials are battling fires in Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, Santa Barbara and Ventura counties.

The president's action authorizes the Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency, to coordinate all disaster relief efforts. Emergency measures, including direct assistance, will be provided at 75% federal funding, the White House announced this morning.

MusicMedic5150

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 05:05:43 PM »

I willl continue to pray for those in California. We have to give thought on these fires.. Are they punishment from God for the continued un-Godly activity in that state? I feel it is a punishment. God has been VERY patient with the sins of man. With the recent laws giving the abomination homosexuality more "freedom" per se we have turned further away from God and his un-ending love. We used to be able to go a few days at least and be free of hearing anything about removing God from our nation and lives. Now it is a daily activity. Satan is working harder than ever to win souls and he is doing a good job. Do we just give up? No.. We have to fight harder now than we ever had. The time is near for our Saviour to return and give Christians the reward of eternal life and sinners eternal punishment. So lets not only pray for people's safety from the fires they face now but pray they will be saved and safe from the fire they will soon face if they do not find Christ...

God is greater than any problem I have!!
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 05:24:49 PM »

The part about this being a punishment had crossed my mind. This was said of New Orleans being hit by Katrina also. Yet we see a city that has displayed much worse than that in San Diego county that has gone virtually untouched. Yes, their time is coming in the Lord's time if they do not change their ways before then. When that time comes for God's judgment to be doled out this incident as devastating as it may be will seem as nothing.

There are many in the San Diego area that are against the things that the politicians of that state have been doing. Good Christian people that are fighting against the corrupt actions of the government of that state, government that insists on going against the wishes of the people.

Yes, we should be praying for the souls of the lost but not just in Calif but all over the world.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the