Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:12:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286775 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Monk teachings
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Monk teachings  (Read 1159 times)
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 27, 2003, 04:31:48 PM »

A monk friend, the Prior of the Abbey of Genesee in Upstate New York, writes these and send them out to a group. This one is so good, I HAD to share it with you guys. Enjoy!

First Sunday of Advent

November 30, 2003

I must warn you before I begin. Some of the things I have to say this morning will sound simplistic and naive. My heart aches every time I read about the war on terrorism or see pictures of the devastation left in the wake suicide bombings. I wonder if people who pursue the path of violence and retribution have ever heard of, let alone read the Letter to the Philippians.  "Our homeland is in heaven, and from heaven comes the savior we are awaiting, the Lord Jesus Christ" (Phil. 3:20). Terrorism is effective only when the terrorist destroys something the victim holds precious or considers essential for life. Is it possible that St. Luke placed these words on Jesus’ lips to show us how to react to acts of terrorism? “I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more” (Lk. 12:4). Jesus’ words make sense if heaven is our homeland and earth is merely a temporary resting place. The Son of God came into the world to remind us that the kingdom of heaven far exceeds anything the earth has to offer. Now, listen again to these words taken from this morning’s reading of the Holy Gospel. "When [wars and revolutions] begin to take place, stand erect, hold your heads high, because your liberation is near at hand" (Lk. 21:28). St. Paul wrote the Church of Corinth: “For this world in its present form is passing away” (1 Cor. 7:31), but Jesus assured His disciples that His word and the Father’s kingdom would never pass away (Cf. Mat. 24:35). Remember what Jesus said as He stood before Pilate bathed in blood and sweat, wearing a crown of thorns and a bloodstained cloak. "My kingdom is not of this world" (Lk. 18:36). Gandhi understood that an individual is truly free, when he clings to and lives by eternal truths. As he was being taken into custody, he told his captors. "You can put me in prison. You can even kill my body, if you like. All you will have is my corpse, but not my allegiance." The human heart belongs to God alone and no worldly power can take it from us.

The prophet Jeremiah had a vision of a new world coming forth from God. However, before this could happen, the old world had to be changed radically. "In those days and at that time, I will make a virtuous branch grow for David, who shall practice honesty in the land. In those days Judah shall be saved and Israel shall dwell in confidence. And the city will be called: God-our-integrity"  (Jer. 33:15-1). The deceit and vengeance that secular society seeks must give way to justice, trust and reconciliation. Enemies must learn to forgive past hurts and begin to build bridges between themselves and their yet unknown neighbors. Even though people continue to wage wars and kill one another, none of these acts of violence and retribution can ever make right the wrongs done in the past. Have we learned nothing from Auschwitz, Hiroshima, Katin Woods, Mai Lai or 9/11?

The liturgical readings for the end of the last liturgical year, as well as today's are not intended to terrify us. They are in the hope of opening our eyes to the Truth that can set us free. No matter how simple it may sound, let no one be mistaken about the basic requirement for survival in this violent and sin-stained world. It takes faith to live the kind of life that God wants us to live (Cf. 1 Thes. 4:2). It takes faith to live according to Jesus' teaching, “Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also” (Mat. 5:39). Those who are willing to endure pain and suffering at the hand of a persecutor are not saying that the forces of evil are good and acceptable. Those who live in accordance with Jesus’ dictum are showing their refusal to live according to the values of this world because their homeland is not here. By living in this way, they become shock absorbers for all the violence and hatred the world chooses to dole out. They have put on Christ who, though He was sinless, became sin so that sinners might radiate the holiness of God. Those who courageously endure the violence of the world give tangible expression to the words David wrote in Psalm twenty-five. "To you, Lord God, I lift up my soul. I rely on you, my God. Do not let me be put to shame. Do not let my enemies gloat over me! Those who hope in you are never put to shame... for you are the One who saves" (Ps. 25:1-3, 5).

As we begin the season of Advent, it is important to keep in mind that we are not talking about one coming of Christ, but two. The first coming, at Christmas, was marked by peaceful stillness and maternal tenderness. The second will be marked by kingly glory, power and might. At His first coming, the Eternal Word of God concealed himself in the chaste virgin’s womb and became a mortal human being. At His second, the Glorified Lord will rend the veil of time and make known to all peoples of all times the mystery of divine justice and mercy. At His first coming the Infant Savior was wrapped in swaddling clothes and layed in a manger. At his second, the King of Kings will be clothed in majesty and seated upon the clouds of heaven. At His first coming Jesus was a helpless infant, unable to speak a word. At His second, the risen and glorified Lord will read aloud from the Book of Life and proclaim God's judgment on the children of Adam and Eve. At His first coming, Jesus was numbered among sinners. At his second He will separate the righteous from the unrighteous (Cf. Mal. 3:18). At his first coming the Lord of life was tortured and put to death. At his second he will give the crown of life to those who had suffered persecution for the sake of his name (Cf. 1 Pet. 5:10). At his first coming, Jesus found no place that offered Him welcome. At his second he will welcome the people He purchased with His own blood into His Father’s house.

At the beginning of this Advent season, it is good for us to recall the words of the Seer of Patmos. “Behold! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me. To the one who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat with my Father on his throne” (Rev. 3:20-22).  May Jesus strengthen us in our resolve to do good and to avoid evil. On that day, when He returns in glory, may He find us watching and waiting. Come! Lord Jesus!

In His wounds we are all healed
Fr. Jerome Machar, O.C.S.O
Abbey of Genesee
http://www.geneseeabbey.org

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003, 08:08:15 AM »

Huh
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2003, 11:30:38 AM »

You no like? Undecided

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2003, 03:30:45 PM »

Um, is there a Reader's Digest version?
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2003, 05:49:56 PM »

To qoute you " Huh "

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the