Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 08:49:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286800 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  10 C's from the book of the dead?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 10 C's from the book of the dead?  (Read 2731 times)
redsox24b

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2007, 06:10:32 PM »

All my friends believe the 10 commandments was taken out of the egyptian book of the dead.  I thought no way.. until i saw the similarities.  At this point for me, i find it very difficult to believe God inspired Moses to write the commandments when it was already written years before and just taken from that.  What are your thoughts? I would love to hear them. 
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 09:51:22 PM »

The answer to this is the same answers you were given for your post on the Gospel of Mark. There are and have been many people that try to discount the Holy Bible. The devil does his best to disprove the Holy Bible and make it out to be derived from anything other than God. The entire Holy Bible was inspired by God not some group of pagans but God Himself. The Ten Commandments were written in a tablet by the finger of God Himself. To say any difference is to call God a liar. To doubt anyone portion of the Holy Bible is to place doubt on it's entirety. You would do well to ignore these other teachings and turn to the Holy Bible and the Holy Bible alone.

Many scholars claim that the book of the dead was first written in 1850BC. The oldest known copy though is dated 1350BC. More than 100 yrs after Moses presented the Ten Commandments from God. The book of the dead has many different versions. Each one individualized for the person it was written for. Not all of them contain this listing that you question question here.

Rom 10:17  So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Put your faith in God and not in these works of men that attempt to disprove His word.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 02:18:14 AM »

Proverbs 21:28 A false witness will perish, but the word of a man who hears attentively will endure and go unchallenged.

Proverbs 14:15 The simpleton believes every word he hears, but the prudent man looks and considers well where he is going.

The name "Book of the Dead" was the invention of the German Karl Lepsius, who published a selection of the texts in 1842. When it was first discovered, the book of the dead was thought to be an ancient Egyptian bible. But unlike the bible, the book of the dead does not set forth religious tenets and was not considered by the ancient Egyptians to be the product of divine revelation, which allowed the content of the book of the dead to change over time. The book of the dead was thus the product of a long process of evolution from the Pyramid texts of the Old Kingdom to the Coffin Texts of the Middle Kingdom.

The Ten Commandments IS God's inspired Word. Look at Exodus 20:2.

Exodus 20:2–17 I am the Lord your God, Who has brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

3 You shall have no other gods before or besides Me.

4 You shall not make yourself any graven image [to worship it] or any likeness of anything that is in the heavens above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;

5 You shall not bow down yourself to them or serve them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generation of those who hate Me,(A)

6 But showing mercy and steadfast love to a thousand generations of those who love Me and keep My commandments.

7 You shall not use or repeat the name of the Lord your God in vain [that is, lightly or frivolously, in false affirmations or profanely]; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.

8 [Earnestly] remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy (withdrawn from common employment and dedicated to God).

9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work,

10 But the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God; in it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, your daughter, your manservant, your maidservant, your domestic animals, or the sojourner within your gates.

11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. That is why the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it [set it apart for His purposes].

12 Regard (treat with honor, due obedience, and courtesy) your father and mother, that your days may be long in the land the Lord your God gives you.

13 You shall not commit murder.

14 You shall not commit adultery.

15 You shall not steal.

16 You shall not witness falsely against your neighbor.

17 You shall not covet your neighbor's house, your neighbor's wife, or his manservant, or his maidservant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's.

Praise God for we don't live by the law. For no man can live the law of Moses. Through Jesus Christ's sacrifice we are under salvation (age) by Grace.

Grace is, God's unmerited favor, His goodness toward those who have no claim on, nor reason to expect, divine favor. The principal manifestation of God's grace has heen in the form of a gift. We think the apostle meant that salvation is "the gift of God," or, as emphatically put in the Greek, "of God is it the gift." Salvation is not our achievement, but it is a gift from God. That truth is made stronger by contrast. It is 'not of ourselves' and "not of works." Salvation is indeed the most extraordinary expression of God's grace.

Salvation is of divine origin. But it is not anything that God was bound to arrange by the necessity of His nature. It is the result of His gracious will. Had it not been for His good pleasure, salvation would never have come. "By grace are ye saved." The Greek grammar denotes not the act of being saved, but the fact of having been saved. God's grace rather than human merit is the source of the whole arrangement. We are saved gratuitously. Salvation is a gift; it is not earned.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 05:33:01 PM »

All my friends believe the 10 commandments was taken out of the egyptian book of the dead.  I thought no way.. until i saw the similarities.  At this point for me, i find it very difficult to believe God inspired Moses to write the commandments when it was already written years before and just taken from that.  What are your thoughts? I would love to hear them. 

Hello Redsox24b,

I just have one question:  Are all of your friends atheists?

This thread has been moved to the "Debate" area. It doesn't appear that your intentions have anything to do with a Bible Study.

redsox24b

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 06:19:46 PM »

yea.. i would have to say most of my friends are atheists.. i want to join a bible study group at my school.. because for me right now there are too many questions about the bible.. and until i can have a full 100%.. not 99.9.. but 100% confidence in what I'm reading.. i will devote my entire life  to studying it.  I have to be honest.. when people tell me that "the devil" is trying to do this or that.. or the fact that evolution and the fossils across the world is some kind of handiwork of the devil, is just silly.  If there was this kind of character, i can't see a God allowing him to deceive people.. when life itself already has many obstacles

i don't mean to offend anybody.. like it told my friends.. i just want the truth in its entirety and I'm not afraid to voice out my opinion.

thanks again for the replies.. i appreciate it.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 06:57:14 PM »

Hello Redsox24b,

I recognized the questions and knew where they came from. It isn't just the devil TRYING to do something - he does. You are the perfect example, as you are deceived. The approximate 100 atheists' questions are answered on the forum already, so we rarely spend time playing that game. The search functions work very well, and you're welcome to read all you want, but you'll be spending your time. In the meantime, I'll be praying for you, and I think that's probably the best we can do for you right now. Read some other material while you're looking. It might do you some good.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the