Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 04:58:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286810 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Luck and coincidence
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Luck and coincidence  (Read 1732 times)
David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2007, 04:02:10 PM »

Is there such thing, even in the smallest degree? I think the definition is too strict.

Yes it is mostly acts of God, but is it always?
Example:
Someone guesses something will happen and is right. What would you call it?

I am bad at examples but I know there is luck and coincidence.

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 05:29:11 PM »

I would simply call it a good guess. When it comes to something like this they are either right or they are wrong. Many psychics employ this method when "predicting" things about incidents or people. Some get really good at making these guesses through the use of reading a persons body language and certain words used by that person.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 06:24:08 PM »

I know but I guess the only time you would be using either would be the following.

A superstitious person sees you do something he considers bad luck and says that you will have bad luck. You then hurt yourself. Now what? Act of God? That wouldn't necessarily be wise. Bad luck? ummm. Good luck? Not unless something good came from it. Coincidence? Yes.

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 06:34:02 PM »

Or perhaps in the case of the "bad luck" the person set themselves up for having an "accident".

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
ibTina
Gold Member

Keep your eyes on JESUS!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 06:41:55 PM »

I know but I guess the only time you would be using either would be the following.

A superstitious person sees you do something he considers bad luck and says that you will have bad luck. You then hurt yourself. Now what? Act of God? That wouldn't necessarily be wise. Bad luck? ummm. Good luck? Not unless something good came from it. Coincidence? Yes.

some may call this "operator error"! ... LOL   Shocked

David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 06:50:53 PM »

but remember the superstitious person sees that you are hurt claims it is bad luck.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 12:27:37 AM »

but remember the superstitious person sees that you are hurt claims it is bad luck.

As long as it brings Glory to God, I don't care what it is called.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 08:37:52 AM »

Is there such thing, even in the smallest degree? I think the definition is too strict.

Yes it is mostly acts of God, but is it always?
Example:

I am bad at examples but I know there is luck and coincidence.

Good Morning Brother David,

I would say that the vast majority of things are just life, and all people have good and bad things happen to them. However, I will also tell you that GOD and the devil are completely real. GOD does answer prayer when it's HIS Will, and the devil most definitely attacks GOD'S Children. Personally, I don't believe in luck, even though I do say and have said "Good Luck" to people in the past. It's more accurate to say, "May GOD Bless You".

There are most definitely Supernatural Forces of good and evil at work in this world - GOD against the devil. We can see the struggles of good against evil around us every day. To make things simple, I would say there are two categories of psychics, magic, etc.:  1 ) Nearly all is "hocus-pocus circus baloney" that's little more than a trick,  2 )  And a small amount of real evil from the devil.

At the carnival, you'll probably hear, "try your luck", and it's nearly always complete fraud. They are con men and they have different parts to play. I have a book that explains the majority of their games, and they are criminal acts if the games are rigged. Most of the games ARE rigged. The same is true for many things that are much more elaborate than carnival games, but they are just as fake and most of them are against the law because they are fraud (obtaining money under false pretenses). On the other side of the coin, I'm positive there is a tiny percentage that's real and evil (i.e. talking with the dead, etc.). I repeat that nearly everything is just a trick, and some of them are really good tricks. If you saw how they actually do many things, it would simply make you mad.

Love In Christ,
Tom

KEEP LOOKING UP!!

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 10:00:52 AM »

Here is a couple of verses to help out there

2 Corinthians 5:18
And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;

Ephesians 1:11
In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

1 Timothy 6:17
Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;

Notice the "all things" bit and who appears to be in control of those "all things"

There is another verse the escapes me...something about how all things are worked by God for good.  I am ashamed I cannot remember it off hand.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 10:09:43 AM »

I think that this is the one you are speaking of.

Rom 8:28  And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 10:50:46 AM »

I think I see what you guys are saying

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 11:07:57 AM »

Hi David, sometimes people meddle in things that are occult and they end up opening a door for satan, this makes a person more prone to doubt God.

God wants to bless us a blessing from God it certain, see if we pray to God and request an answer for anything it is certain that God will answer our prayer according to His Word and His will. Luck on the other hand is not a real thing, it's not something that anyone can count on.

I would rather say God bless you to someone, than to say good luck. Of course if what a person is trying to do is not something in line with God's Word, than I don't say anything. I would just pray for that person to be able to trust God and not luck.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 11:43:34 AM »

I think point was missed
Going to lock

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the