Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:59:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286797 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Which day do you think is the sabbath and why?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which day do you think is the sabbath and why?  (Read 7492 times)
fvleo

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 01:43:05 AM »

oh my... the everlasing debate.  The etymology of the word Sabbath... according to www.etymonline.com

O.E. sabat "Saturday," observed by the Jews as a day of rest, from L. sabbatum, from Gk. sabbaton, from Heb. shabbath, prop. "day of rest," from shabath "he rested." The Babylonians regarded seventh days as unlucky, and avoided certain activities then; the Jewish observance may have begun as a similar custom. From the seventh day of the week, it began to be applied c.1410 to the first day (Sunday), a change completed during the Reformation. The original meaning is preserved in Sp. Sabado, It. Sabbato, and other languages' names for "Saturday." Hung. szombat, Rus. simbata, Fr. samedi, Ger. Samstag "Saturday" are from V.L. sambatum, from Gk. *sambaton, a vulgar nasalized variant of sabbaton.

One man considers one day more sacred than another, another man considers every day alike.  Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.  He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord.  Romans 14:5-6

Does that mean we can celebrate any day as the sabbath?  NO!!  We celebrate the Lord's day... not Sunday which is a sacred day to the Sun God... hence SUN day... Read what it says in the above section about the Babylonians... THEY CHANGED THE DAY PEOPLE!!!  BECAUSE THEY WERE SUPERSTITIOUS!!!! 
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 02:05:52 AM »

Roll Eyes  Oh Joy - another one, or one who's been here before and been banned. We'll see.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 09:17:55 AM »

Roll Eyes  Oh Joy - another one, or one who's been here before and been banned. We'll see.

Yes, and full of contradictions as usual.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2007, 09:29:59 AM »

This is what Jesus has to say:

Mt 12:8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

WBN

As if Christ had said, "I, who am Lord of the sabbath, declare to you, that I have a power to dispense with the observation of it:  and it is my will that the sabbath, which was appointed for man, should yield to man's safety and welfare." Christ the Son of man was really the son of God; and as such had power over the sabbath to dispense with it, yea, to abrogate and change it, at his pleasure.

For me everyday is the Sabbath, I worship and praise, and follow my Jesus everyday.

In my opinion since God is infinite and eternal He did not use a calendar. Men use calendars God does not.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2007, 10:11:36 AM »

Does that mean we can celebrate any day as the sabbath?  NO!!  We celebrate the Lord's day... not Sunday which is a sacred day to the Sun God... hence SUN day... Read what it says in the above section about the Babylonians... THEY CHANGED THE DAY PEOPLE!!!  BECAUSE THEY WERE SUPERSTITIOUS!!!! 
Sorry but I like to have the Sabbath everyday, to have time with Christ.

Matthew 12:3He said to them, Have you not even read what David did when he was hungry, and those who accompanied him-- 4 How he went into the house of God and ate the loaves of the showbread--which was not lawful for him to eat, nor for the men who accompanied him, but for the priests only? 5 Or have you never read in the Law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple violate the sanctity of the Sabbath [breaking it] and yet are guiltless? 6 But I tell you, Something greater and more exalted and more majestic than the temple is here! 7 And if you had only known what this saying means, I desire mercy [readiness to help, to spare, to forgive] rather than sacrifice and sacrificial victims, you would not have condemned the guiltless.8 For the Son of Man is Lord [even] of the Sabbath.

Only through Christ are we free, from the bonds of man.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 10:33:15 AM »

AMEN!!

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 10:45:42 AM »

Amen and Amen!

Brothers and Sisters, it is a Great JOY to know that the shadows of the Law in the Old Testament have been replaced with the absolute REALITY of a LIVING LORD AND SAVIOUR, JESUS CHRIST. We are NOT under the Law, regardless of how hard some people try to put us back under the Law. Those making this attempt are false teachers, and they don't represent GOD. Bluntly, they speak falsely and not for GOD. If any man wants to live under the Law, they must live under ALL OF IT. No man has ever been able to do it, and NO MAN has EVER been SAVED BY THE LAW.

The above is why JESUS CHRIST died on the Cross. JESUS CHRIST LIVES, and HE replaced the shadows with absolute REALITY. Mankind is SAVED only by GRACE through FAITH in JESUS CHRIST. It isn't of works or the Law, and NO  MAN can boast of anything except in JESUS CHRIST. ALL GLORY GOES TO GOD!

Col 2:6  Therefore as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him,
Col 2:7  having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith, just as you were instructed, and overflowing with gratitude.
Col 2:8  See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ.
Col 2:9  For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form,
Col 2:10  and in Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority;
Col 2:11  and in Him you were also circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, in the removal of the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ;
Col 2:12  having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.
Col 2:13  When you were dead in your transgressions and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made you alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our transgressions,
Col 2:14  having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.
Col 2:15  When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities, He made a public display of them, having triumphed over them through Him.
Col 2:16  Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day--
Col 2:17  things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Heb 10:1  For the Law, since it has only a shadow of the good things to come and not the very form of things, can never, by the same sacrifices which they offer continually year by year, make perfect those who draw near.
Heb 10:2  Otherwise, would they not have ceased to be offered, because the worshipers, having once been cleansed, would no longer have had consciousness of sins?
Heb 10:3  But in those sacrifices there is a reminder of sins year by year.
Heb 10:4  For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.
Heb 10:5  Therefore, when He comes into the world, He says, "SACRIFICE AND OFFERING YOU HAVE NOT DESIRED, BUT A BODY YOU HAVE PREPARED FOR ME;
Heb 10:6  IN WHOLE BURNT OFFERINGS AND sacrifices FOR SIN YOU HAVE TAKEN NO PLEASURE.
Heb 10:7  "THEN I SAID, 'BEHOLD, I HAVE COME (IN THE SCROLL OF THE BOOK IT IS WRITTEN OF ME) TO DO YOUR WILL, O GOD.'"
Heb 10:8  After saying above, "SACRIFICES AND OFFERINGS AND WHOLE BURNT OFFERINGS AND sacrifices FOR SIN YOU HAVE NOT DESIRED, NOR HAVE YOU TAKEN PLEASURE in them" (which are offered according to the Law),
Heb 10:9  then He said, "BEHOLD, I HAVE COME TO DO YOUR WILL." He takes away the first in order to establish the second.
Heb 10:10  By this will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2007, 10:07:41 AM »

I would love to have a sabbath everyday.  However I have to keep a roof over my head, so I take my sabbath day during what we call the weekend. 

We need to remember a couple of things.  God created man and in the creation it was perfect.  The sabbath was created before man fell so it was perfect.  What was it then?  work 6 days and rest the 7th.  Not a day of worship but a day of rest.  Man worshipped God daily in the garden.  Jesus came to restore man, to "put the spirit back in him" so to speak.  Man had messed things up and made the sabbath the "day of worship"  Even the Mosaic Laws when you see God speaking of the sabbath it is as a day of rest and offerings. 

Jesus restored the Christian.  ONce we are saved we should be back to worshiping God daily and the sabbath is a day of rest.  We see reference to Jesus being our sabbath and it is as our rest...not our worship.  So the problem here is that people have confused what the sabbath is.  It is NOT a day set aside for worship.  It is a day of rest.  Worship should be happening all the time. 

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Jimacki

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2007, 09:23:47 PM »

The Sabbath is not a day but a promised rest to look forward to for those who accept Christ. And understanding that the O.T. is a shadow of the N.T. as quoted in Hebrews. Having said this, there even is scripture which condones Sunday worship. If you study the duty of the priest they continually sacrificed non-stop daily, all week. This is why Jesus, when questioned about the Sabbath by the Pharisees answered them saying "Have you not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priest in the temple profane the sabbath and are BLAMELESS?" The priest did not rest on the Sabbath but continually made sacrifices for the people. I see this as worshipping because it is being done out of obedience by the people and the priest. And if Christ claimed they were blameless, what about us who are now made priests and kings to God, by the shedding of His blood. REMEMBER GOD IS NO RESPECTER OF PERSONS.

Also I am curious, why only push the 4th commandment, when I am pretty sure that the 10th commandment is "broken" even more then the 4th.( I speak to those who keep themselves UNDER the law) James 2:10-11
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 09:26:45 PM by Jimacki » Logged
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2007, 09:37:47 PM »

Quote from: Jimacki
Also I am curious, why only push the 4th commandment, when I am pretty sure that the 10th commandment is "broken" even more then the 4th.( I speak to those who keep themselves UNDER the law) James 2:10-11

If I were you, I wouldn't wait for an answer, they can't answer. Great post Jimacki!! Cheesy Cheesy

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2007, 06:00:22 PM »

Interesting that there is even a debate on this.  Of course we worship God daily.  And of course it doesn't matter what our 7th day is.  God wanted his children to take a rest because it's healthy.  I totally rest and relax and goof of on Saturday.  But I go to church on Sunday.  I go to Small Group on Friday night.  I pray daily and constantly.  I sing praises in the car ( with the windows up of course)!  Wink  I watch Christian TV in the mornings with my coffee and while I'm getting ready for work.  If my job changes, my rest day might soon be on Wednesday.  Big deal.  My thoughts are continueously on Him.  End of story.

And thank you Ol' Blackeye (tee hee) for the links!

Let us fight the good fight!
Littleboy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2007, 06:24:00 PM »

Hebrews 4:
5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into MY REST.

6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

7 Again, he limiteth A CERTAIN DAY, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

8 For IF Jesus had given them rest, THEN would he not afterward have spoken of ANOTHER DAY.

9 There remaineth therefore A REST to the people of God.

10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

11 Let us labour therefore to enter into THAT REST, lest any man fall after the same example of UNBELIEF.

I Believe it's Saturday: Sabbath meaning 7th... is that resting day spoken of !
Ever calander i've seen, Sunday's always the 1st day of the week & Saturday's the 7th day(last)of the week...

Alot of people have confused the day of rest with a day of worshipping, and as many of you have said GOD
is to be worshipped everyday!

Remember what Jesus said about the GREATEST commandment:
To love God with all your heart, mind & soul...
and the 2nd is likened unto it, to love your neighbor as yourself,
AND by doing so you have fulfilled ALL THE LAWS of the prophets?

curious

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2008, 10:49:27 PM »

The Jews have a Lunar calendar,so it actually starts on when it JUST gets dark Friday evening,to Saturday evening,but during the Winter(since it gets dark earlier)probably 6PM to 6PM.

Yours in Yeshua,
                                       Curious
Littleboy

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2008, 01:02:14 PM »

Saturday!
Jesus was put on the cross friday and they had to get him off before sundown(saturday), Because your not aloud to touch the Dead on the Sabbath
and be able to enter the Temple, Theirs another reason too, But it eludes me at this moment,
The women did'nt go to him until after the Sabbath day ended and went Early Sunday Morning to his Grave.
If the Jewish people Living today says it's Saturday, It's Saturday, And if their wrong I Doubt if were in trouble for not knowing the Correct day!
When the Lord comes He will teach us the right ways that have been changed by Man...
YLBD
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2008, 08:00:47 PM »

Hello Littleboy,

I know that we're not in any trouble over days. If there are 8 days in a week, HE is LORD over them all!

Many things were shadows of what were yet to come, and the shadows were replaced with the REALITY OF CHRIST!

Colossians 2:6-17 NASB
Therefore as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith, just as you were instructed, and overflowing with gratitude. See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ. For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form, and in Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority; and in Him you were also circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, in the removal of the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ; having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. When you were dead in your transgressions and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made you alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our transgressions, having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities, He made a public display of them, having triumphed over them through Him. Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day -- things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the