Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:56:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Welcome
| |-+  Questions, help, suggestions, and bug reports (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  First Timothy 2:11-13
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Timothy 2:11-13  (Read 2303 times)
Jesussavedusall

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2003, 12:33:38 AM »

"Let a woman learn in silence with full submission. I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over a man. She is to keep silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve."

I have a question about this. How come it is in the Bible? Do you think they translated it wrong? I don't think us Christians should be sexist.
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2003, 05:09:31 AM »

"Let a woman learn in silence with full submission. I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over a man. She is to keep silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve."

I have a question about this. How come it is in the Bible? Do you think they translated it wrong? I don't think us Christians should be sexist.

God said it Believe It

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2003, 07:00:02 AM »

There is an order to all things in Creation; I do not believe that God is saying here that women aren't worth as much as men, etc. An example of the order:
Colossians 3:18 Wives, be subject to your husbands; that is your Christian duty." But it doesn't stop here.
NEXT VERSE (19): "Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them."
 Some other verses regarding women vs. men:

1 Peter 3:7 "...You husbands must conduct your married life with understanding; pay honour to the woman's body, not only because it is weaker, but also because you share together in the grace of God which gives you life..."

Ephesians 5:24 "Wives, be subject to your husbands as to the LORD; for the man is the head of the woman, just as Christ is also the head of the church. Christ is, indeed, the Saviour [some translations/commentaries read servant) of the body [Church] but just as the Church is subject to Christ, so must women be to their husbands in everything."

Ephesians 5:25a "Husbands, love your wives, as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for it"

An interesting thing to note from this verse is the reference to men treating their wives, "just as Christ loved (is the head of) the Church". What did Jesus do for the church? He became a servant, a "little lower than the angels", besides which he suffered and died for it. This does not sound (to me, at least) like a "Men are so macho and women are their slaves" kind of thing.  Grin

Ephesians 5:28 "...In the same way men are also bound to love their wives, as they love their own bodies."

Ephesians 5:33b "each of you must love his wife as his very self; and the woman must see to it that she pays her husband all respect."
« Last Edit: November 22, 2003, 07:02:57 AM by Willowbirch » Logged

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Jesussavedusall

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2003, 08:26:36 PM »

Colossians 3:18 Wives, be subject to your husbands; that is your Christian duty." But it doesn't stop here.
NEXT VERSE (19): "Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them."

But that statement says that women have to be subject, which means they must do everything their husband says, while all men have to do is be nice...

But I guess we should just accept everything on faith and not question it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2003, 08:27:14 PM by Jesussavedusall » Logged
Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2003, 08:10:55 AM »

But I guess we should just accept everything on faith and not question it.

No way!  Wink Acts 17:11b "They received the message with great earnestness, studying the scriptures every day to see whether it was as they said." To a certain extent, since we can't possibly know everything about an eternal, all-powerful God, we are called to take a step out in faith. BUT don't let someone jam theories down your throat without checking them out first! Does it agree with your Guide-book for life (not the TV Guide)?

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 05:53:02 AM »

But that statement says that women have to be subject, which means they must do everything their husband says, while all men have to do is be nice...

To the contrary.  Men must give an account to God for the direction their families take.  God isn't being sexist.  He's being God!  Smiley  He even illustrates the relationship we have with one another in His Triune Person, the Trinity.  God the Father is the head, God the Son is subordinate to God the Father, and God the Holy Spirit is subordinate to God the Father and the Son.  None is any less God than the other.  Each has a role that they faithfully fulfill.  So it is with the genders.  In a church, the man is the head.  Not because he is better, or any more human than the woman, but because that's how God designed things.  In the home the man is the head.  A wise man isn't the type who lord's over his wife, but loves, listens, and even learns from her example.

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2003, 06:54:45 AM »

To the contrary.  Men must give an account to God for the direction their families take.  God isn't being sexist.  He's being God!  Smiley  He even illustrates the relationship we have with one another in His Triune Person, the Trinity.  God the Father is the head, God the Son is subordinate to God the Father, and God the Holy Spirit is subordinate to God the Father and the Son.  None is any less God than the other.  Each has a role that they faithfully fulfill.  So it is with the genders.  In a church, the man is the head.  Not because he is better, or any more human than the woman, but because that's how God designed things.  In the home the man is the head.  A wise man isn't the type who lord's over his wife, but loves, listens, and even learns from her example.
Wink Amen, Allinall! Thank you!

P.S. Another translation of the verse "Husbands do not be harsh with your wives" says "Love your wives" instead. Ideally, men are to love their girls as Christ loves the church. And that's a powerful love.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the