Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:23:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Galatians Bible Study
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Galatians Bible Study  (Read 54451 times)
Reba
« Reply #165 on: December 18, 2003, 07:11:23 PM »

Yikes,

Ollie another fine mess you've gotten us into...
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 18, 2003, 08:16:45 PM »

Huh

The enemies of God have not gone away and they still creep in unawares as false brethren. We donot physically have Paul, but we have his spirit in union with God's Spirit through his words that are safeguarded through the Holy Spirit of God.

It is with Paul's and the other Bible writer's, inspired of God, words that we can compare and put to the test their words to see if these brethren be true or false brethren.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 08:30:51 PM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
Reba
« Reply #167 on: December 18, 2003, 08:31:30 PM »

Amen Ollie
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: December 19, 2003, 04:03:22 AM »

Hmmmmm...I'm at somewhat of a loss here.  Reba, what are the childish acts you mentioned?  I'm not trying to stir up strife, I'm just trying to not be confused.  I live in a house with three females...I strive for nonconfusion!   Cheesy  I only ask because I can't figure out if Ollie is referring to the passage you posted or the preceeding comment.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 05:32:14 AM by Allinall » Logged

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Reba
« Reply #169 on: December 19, 2003, 11:35:26 AM »

My remark to Ollie was in reference to  Stan Loraul and Oliver Hardy (sp) that is close to a quote Stan always said to Ollie I said that  for the youngester here, and just to be silly. Tongue

Childish here to me is the thinking(posting)  we can argue a point to the changing of another mind  or to proclaim I AM RIGHT. For my self i did not start out in that mind frame but went there quickly. I will not be any more specific. Lips Sealed

I agree with Ollie often and again here. Smiley

Three females you have my sympthy, we can be crazy. I haope you have your own bathroom Grin
ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 20, 2003, 08:08:50 AM »

Perhaps this will be redundant if posted before, but it is a good short containment about what Paul's letter is about to the Galatian Christians. It can never hurt anything to refesh our minds on it.

*In Galatians there are a series of important contrasts:
 - a different type (GSN2087 - heteros) of "gospel" versus the authentic Gospel (compare Gal.1v6)
 - man's reasoning versus God's revelation
 - law versus grace; works versus faith
 - the curse of death versus the blessing of life
 - condemnation versus exoneration
 - servants in bondage versus sons in freedom
 - defeat versus victory
 - the old covenant versus the new covenant
 - living in the flesh versus walking in the Spirit
 - the works of the flesh versus the fruit of the Spirit
 - falling from grace versus standing firm in grace
 - the world (self) as the object of boasting versus the cross of Christ.
Paul recapitulates by saying that the Christian life is the natural fruit which flows from love (Gal.5v6)." ***

In Christian love,
Ollie

The Crusader
« Reply #171 on: December 27, 2003, 06:43:26 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

Here's verse 1. If you have ideas about a better format or method, please jump in and discuss it. We can also discuss verses as we go or whatever else anyone may wish to do.

-----------------

Galatians 1:1

King James Version Unless Otherwise Noted:

Galatians 1:1  Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;)

There is a reason why the Apostle Paul starts Galatians in this manner. Paul's Apostleship has been questioned and placed in doubt by men who claim he is simply a student and has no direct knowledge of Christ. Thus, he claims his authority and commission is directly from Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised Jesus Christ from the dead. This false accusation is a portion of the reason many of the people in the churches of Galatia started practicing Jewish customs and the Mosaic Law, a corruption of the pure Gospel of God's Grace that Paul founded the churches in.

It is also Biblical for the Apostle Paul to state he was called and chosen by the Risen Jesus Christ and the will of God to serve as an Apostle.

See References:

1 Colossians 1:1  Paul, called to be an apostle of Jesus Christ through the will of God, and Sosthenes our brother,

2 Colossians 1:1  Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, unto the church of God which is at Corinth, with all the saints which are in all Achaia:

Ephesians 1:1  Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:

There is no doubt that the Apostle Paul received his authority, calling, and ministry directly from Jesus Christ and the Will of God.

See References:

Act 9:15  But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:

Acts 22:14  And he said, The God of our fathers hath chosen thee, that thou shouldest know his will, and see that Just One, and shouldest hear the voice of his mouth.
Acts 22:15  For thou shalt be his witness unto all men of what thou hast seen and heard.
Acts 22:16  And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.
Acts 22:17  And it came to pass, that, when I was come again to Jerusalem, even while I prayed in the temple, I was in a trance;
Acts 22:18  And saw him saying unto me, Make haste, and get thee quickly out of Jerusalem: for they will not receive thy testimony concerning me.
Acts 22:19  And I said, Lord, they know that I imprisoned and beat in every synagogue them that believed on thee:
Acts 22:20  And when the blood of thy martyr Stephen was shed, I also was standing by, and consenting unto his death, and kept the raiment of them that slew him.
Acts 22:21  And he said unto me, Depart: for I will send thee far hence unto the Gentiles.

---------------

In Christ,
Tom

I agree, your off to a good start.

The Crusader
ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 28, 2003, 05:54:43 PM »

Shouldn't the study be at the beginning of chapter two in Galatians?

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: December 29, 2003, 11:48:02 PM »

Shouldn't the study be at the beginning of chapter two in Galatians?

I do believe you are correct!

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 01, 2004, 12:44:19 PM »

Here are a few verses starting chapter two if someone wants to continue the study and comment.

Galatians 2:1.  Then fourteen years after I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, and took Titus with me also.
 2.  And I went up by revelation, and communicated unto them that gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to them which were of reputation, lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain.
 3.  But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised:
 4.  And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage:
 5.  To whom we gave place by subjection, no, not for an hour; that the truth of the gospel might continue with you.
 6.  But of these who seemed to be somewhat, (whatsoever they were, it maketh no matter to me: God accepteth no man's person:) for they who seemed to be somewhat in conference added nothing to me:
 7.  But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;
 8.  (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)
 9.  And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 06:08:21 AM by ollie » Logged

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: January 01, 2004, 03:56:55 PM »

See verse 9.  And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

Do you see it.....

Just Asking Who Is Your Apostle?

There are 2 choices. Peter and the 11 or Paul. Peter was sent to Israel. Paul was sent to the Gentiles. Peter preached a coming kingdom. Paul preached a leaving body (rapture). Peter preached works for salvation. Paul preached grace for salvation. Peter says keep the law. Paul says you cannot keep the law. Peter says don’t eat catfish. Paul says eat all things. Peter says meet on Saturday. Paul says meet on Sunday. Peter preached you must be water baptized. Paul preached you do not need water baptism. Peter preached sell all you have and God will take care of you. Paul preached if you do not work you do not eat. Peter preached the cross as a curse to Israel. Paul preached the curse removed. Peter never says he is the pattern for the Gentiles. Paul says he is the pattern for the Gentiles.

Who is your apostle? Until the rapture of the church – Paul is.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 03:59:36 PM by Ambassador4Christ » Logged

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: January 02, 2004, 05:55:47 AM »

It's such a shame that Peter was lost and died and went to an eternal Hell... Roll Eyes

Granted, I sound slightly sarcastic, but Peter preached the same gospel Paul preached.  He just preached it to the Jew, where Paul preached it to the Gentile.  

The Crusader
« Reply #177 on: January 02, 2004, 06:08:19 AM »

It's such a shame that Peter was lost and died and went to an eternal Hell... Roll Eyes

Granted, I sound slightly sarcastic, but Peter preached the same gospel Paul preached.  He just preached it to the Jew, where Paul preached it to the Gentile.  

Nope

The Crusader
The Crusader
« Reply #178 on: January 02, 2004, 06:11:01 AM »

O Foolish Galatians

Galatians 3:1-11 Several things in this passage of scripture that the Bible points out to us! First of all that we are saved bye the Grace of God without any of our works of the flesh, It is from Him and bye Him and unto Him! We are only a recipient of it! We are saved we are saved by faith without any works.

Second we are not to live our lives as we are under the Old Covenant but live our life under the New Covenant which demands a life in dependence upon God and not of the law which brings independence from God! 2 Cor. 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

So with these two aspects in mind let us go and look at verses one through two. As we can see from verse one the Galatians were very inconsistent people, they could change their minds and believe one thing one day and another the next! Paul addressed them in chapter one verse six: I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you
into the grace of Christ unto another gospel.

The Judaizers had invaded the Galatian church and prompt their law teaching and stressed the necessity of circumcision to gain and maintain salvation! The Galatian people were quick to believe the message that the Judaizers were preaching. Paul pronounced in chapter one verse nine to let them perish or be accursed and chapter five verse ten pronounced judgment on them, and also in chapter five verse twelve Paul would that they were even cut off which troubled them. So bye these passages we can see how much it bothered the Apostle Paul to preach Law to those who have been saved under the Gospel of the Grace of God, the message which he himself had preached in Galatia.

He preached Christ crucified, buried and risen! His message was singular! Now pay attention to verse two. Paul asked them, did you receive the Spirit of God bye faith or bye the works of the law? Undoubtedly when Paul was their preaching the Gospel of the Grace of God many, many people put faith in Jesus Christ. Paul here is trying to put them back in remembrance how they were saved. Did you Galatians experience the joy of salvation bye hearing or working? The Galatians knew the answer within their heart.

We who are saved right now know that we are saved by faith. Therefore we conclude that a man is justified bye faith without the deeds of the law. Let me ask you a question! What is the supreme motive of God in salvation through Divine Grace? Answer! Ephesians two verse seven: That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. His purpose is to demonstrate before all intelligences, principalities and powers, celestial beings, and terrestrial beings the exceeding riches of His Grace. We will be trophies of grace through all the ages of eternity! So if the supreme motive of God is to reveal His grace then salvation must be bye grace alone, or the eternal purpose of God must fail. For after Ephesians two verse seven Paul makes this declaration in verse eight: For bye grace are ye saved through faith and that not of yourselves it is the gift of God not of works. Lest any man should boast!

Grace ceases to be grace if God is compelled to withdraw it in the presence of human failure and sin. Grace cannot be exercised where there is the slightest degree of merit to be recognized. You see Christ came to pay for the sins of the world and He did! Did not John the Baptist cry out in John one verse twenty-nine: Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh way the sin of the world. Jesus Christ paid everyone's sin dept. In the eyes of God everyone has been cleaned up because of the blood that Jesus Christ shed on the cross. But not everyone has had this imputed to him or her, because they have not believed!

You can see then how that mankind doesn't go to heaven because he is good and doesn't perish because he is bad! But because of unbelief! " But to him that worketh not but believeth on him that justified the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. So you see how condemnation is no longer the sins which men have committed and which Christ has borne to the cross, but rather because of the person rejecting the provision of the Saviour who bore our sins to the tree! We can see that human sin, human obligation; human merit can not co-exist with the salvation of a man bye the grace of God.

Every sin that humanity has committed saved or unsaved or that would ever commit was dealt with in perfect divine judgment by Christ at the cross. Sin does not overcome the blood! It is the blood that overcomes sin. So we know in verse two that we receive the Spirit bye the hearing and responding of the gospel message that God has given mankind in this age! In verse three are ye so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

The Mosaic Law stops every man and shows him what he really is! But they are some who teach that now you who are saved must keep the law and you have power to do this now within yourself! There is a great lack of emphasis upon that which teaches a believer how to live the true Christian life.

The truth that the grace of God, the very same grace which brings salvation, also teaches those who are saved how to live! One may say I believe in grace but I do not think it should be emphasized too much because this leads to careless living! They have failed to understand Gods work of grace! Its not the grace which leads to sinning but the grace of God which keeps us from sinning as demonstrated bye the Apostle Paul. Growth in spiritual life only comes bye the grace of God.

Second Peter chapter three verse eighteen tells us but grow in grace and in the knowledge of the Mosaic system! No it doesn't! It says grow in the knowledge of our Lord and
Saviour Jesus Christ. Many believe as the Judaizers at Galatia did, that the Mosaic Law teaches men how to live a godly life! The Mosaic Law was given to Gods earthly people Israel to teach them the conduct he required of them but in giving the law God also with it provided sacrifices as there grounds of mercy when they broke the law! This proves that God knew that the law could not so teach righteousness as to provide godly living! This error that Paul was contending wrote that the law was our schoolmaster to bring us to Christ and when this was done there is no further need for the law as a schoolmaster!

Didn't Paul teach us that sin shall not have dominion over you? For ye are not under law but under grace. The law was not expected to produce righteousness in the lives of men but rather self-dependence upon themselves! The law tells men what they must do! At the end of the day a Jew could think in his mind, did I brake any of the commandments today? If so he had to go present a sacrifice but if not he could pat himself on his back and say oh how good I have been today! (Self-righteousness)! So bye this we can see that the law produced independence upon ones self and not upon God! Let us go to verse eleven of chapter three and conclude what Paul said, " But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident for the just shall live by faith." And the law is not of faith but the man that doeth them shall live in them. Under grace God wants every aspect of our lives to be in dependence upon him! The just shall live bye dependence! Dependence upon God includes an understanding of his provision and an attitude of confidence and trust!

Ever since the garden man has had the spirit of independence, they plan their lives and act as if though God did not exist! But God wants us to be in dependence into Him for everything! Philip. Four verse nineteen but my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. Let us conclude here that which is really implied is a surrendered will to him! For one wise man once said, "Christianity is a series of new beginnings." Each day when we get out of bed we ought the best we know how to surrender to the Holy Spirit bye faith to start our new day! Live in complete and total trust to our dear Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ! It's a day bye day responsibility to Christians to be in total dependence to God! If you are not enjoying your Christianity more than you did when you were saved something is wrong! Are you trying to live under a yoke of bondage? Let us keep in mind what Paul was trying to teach the Galatians in chapter three! For he said in chapter two verse sixteen Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith of Jesus Christ even we have believed in Jesus Christ that we might be justified by faith of Christ and not by the works of the law: for bye the works of the law shall no flesh be justified

I agree, thanks for the good study. I agree with both Tom & Ambassador, and thats about it.

The Crusader
ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 02, 2004, 06:15:17 AM »

See verse 9.  And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.

Do you see it.....

Just Asking Who Is Your Apostle?

There are 2 choices. Peter and the 11 or Paul. Peter was sent to Israel. Paul was sent to the Gentiles. Peter preached a coming kingdom. Paul preached a leaving body (rapture). Peter preached works for salvation. Paul preached grace for salvation. Peter says keep the law. Paul says you cannot keep the law. Peter says don’t eat catfish. Paul says eat all things. Peter says meet on Saturday. Paul says meet on Sunday. Peter preached you must be water baptized. Paul preached you do not need water baptism. Peter preached sell all you have and God will take care of you. Paul preached if you do not work you do not eat. Peter preached the cross as a curse to Israel. Paul preached the curse removed. Peter never says he is the pattern for the Gentiles. Paul says he is the pattern for the Gentiles.

Who is your apostle? Until the rapture of the church – Paul is.

Sigh!

Peter and Paul both preached the one gospel of Jesus Christ.
Peter to the circumcision, Paul to the heathen. We are told in these  first verses of Galatians two that this decision was made.

The bible says nothing about any one having a special apostle and just adhering to that apostle's word alone. Peter's word if of Israel, Paul's word if heathen.
This is unscriptural and cultish

« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 06:50:02 AM by ollie » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the