Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:30:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286766 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Prescription Shop
| | |-+  " Perseverance "
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: " Perseverance "  (Read 54332 times)
Def

My Father, it is me your daughter, in Jesus.

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2007, 04:13:50 PM »

" All  Scripture is God-breathed" (2 Tim.3:16). The Christian believes the Bible is the inspired Word of God. Jesus affirmed the Old Testament Scripture as God`s Word to man(Matt.22:29-31).
Thus we accept the simple and straighforward opening statement: "There lived a man whose name was Job."(Job1:1)
This man was blameless and upright; he feared God and shunned evil..
`to be continue `..
in Jesus Def.

But to us There Is But one God,  the  Father, of  whom  Are  all  things, and we in Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ by whom Are all things and we by Him(1Cor 8:6  KJV)
I believe that Jesus died for my sins  was buried rose again and is sitting at the right hand of God Almighty interceding for me Amen
Def

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 03:18:14 PM »

"one moment at the time"
  1: Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God`s elect, and the acknowledging  of  the truth  which is after godliness;
 2:  In hope of eternal life, which God,  that cannot lie, promised before the world began.(Titus 1:1-2  KJV) ......One moment at the time in Jesus Name...
in Jesus Def...(";")

But to us There Is But one God,  the  Father, of  whom  Are  all  things, and we in Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ by whom Are all things and we by Him(1Cor 8:6  KJV)
I believe that Jesus died for my sins  was buried rose again and is sitting at the right hand of God Almighty interceding for me Amen
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 08:48:31 PM »

Hello Sister Def,

I promised that I would participate in this with you, and I'm late but I didn't forget.

According to Webster:

Perseverance
PERSEVE'RANCE, n. [L. perseverantia. See Persevere.]

1. Persistence in any thing undertaken; continued pursuit or prosecution of any business or enterprise begun; applied alike to good or evil.

Perseverance keeps honor bright.

Patience and perseverance overcome the greatest difficulties.

2. In theology, continuance in a state of grace to a state of glory; sometimes called final perseverance.

So, one could reach many potential conclusions about "perseverance". The definition indicates patience to overcome difficulties, but this could also imply other things when we are talking about Christians and spiritual matters.

As examples:

It could involve prayer and waiting upon the LORD for answers and guidance.

It is going to involve strength and a source for that strength. For Christians, our source for strength is CHRIST. In fact, Christians many times receive strength and guidance while reading GOD'S WORD. So, I decided to look at our source of strength first.

Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 08:56:02 PM »

Many, many years ago we had a bookmark in our Bible that said "keep on keeping on".  To me, that is a good description of perseverence.

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 09:37:25 PM »

Exo 15:2  "The LORD is my strength and song, And He has become my salvation; This is my God, and I will praise Him; My father's God, and I will extol Him.

This is interesting because you will find several portions of Scripture in the Bible  that state "The LORD is our strength and song." One that comes to mind almost immediately is in Psalms.

Another thought involves the devil not wanting Christians to have strength, and there are countless examples of this in the Bible. Here's an early one that everyone should remember:

Jdg 16:6  So Delilah said to Samson, "Please tell me where your great strength is and how you may be bound to afflict you."

Was Samson's strength really in his hair, or was it from GOD and Samson's faith in GOD?

We also see many apparent contradictions in the Bible and in life that deal with strength and weakness.

1Sa 2:4  "The bows of the mighty are shattered, But the feeble gird on strength.

Most mature Christians will quickly admit that they learn about real strength in CHRIST during times of weakness, illness, and trials. This isn't a contradiction, rather for all Christians who learn how to simply trust GOD.

1Ch 16:11  Seek the LORD and His strength; Seek His face continually.

Again, we can find many similar portions of Scripture in the Holy Bible. The "Why" is answered in the Scripture:  the LORD has great strength and HE will share it with us.

Psa 28:7  The LORD is my strength and my shield; My heart trusts in Him, and I am helped; Therefore my heart exults, And with my song I shall thank Him.

Psa 37:39  But the salvation of the righteous is from the LORD; He is their strength in time of trouble.

Psa 59:16  But as for me, I shall sing of Your strength; Yes, I shall joyfully sing of Your lovingkindness in the morning, For You have been my stronghold And a refuge in the day of my distress.

Psa 90:10  As for the days of our life, they contain seventy years, Or if due to strength, eighty years, Yet their pride is but labor and sorrow; For soon it is gone and we fly away.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 09:39:16 PM »

It's a mystery to the lost when we tell them that many portions of the Bible must be spiritually discerned. In other words, the Holy Spirit of GOD helps us to understand it. There are many spiritual things that the world doesn't understand, and they aren't supposed to.

Isa 11:2  The Spirit of the LORD will rest on Him, The spirit of wisdom and understanding, The spirit of counsel and strength, The spirit of knowledge and the fear of the LORD.

Isa 30:15  For thus the Lord GOD, the Holy One of Israel, has said, "In repentance and rest you will be saved, In quietness and trust is your strength." But you were not willing,

Isa 40:26  Lift up your eyes on high And see who has created these stars, The One who leads forth their host by number, He calls them all by name; Because of the greatness of His might and the strength of His power, Not one of them is missing.

Isa 40:29  He gives strength to the weary, And to him who lacks might He increases power.

Jer 17:5  Thus says the LORD, "Cursed is the man who trusts in mankind And makes flesh his strength, And whose heart turns away from the LORD.

Eph 1:19  and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might

Eph 6:10  Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might.

Most Christians give thanks to GOD and know where their strength comes from. In fact, we know the source of all good things - ALMIGHTY GOD.

1Pe 4:11  Whoever speaks, is to do so as one who is speaking the utterances of God; whoever serves is to do so as one who is serving by the strength which God supplies; so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs the glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

"Strength" is a fascinating word in the Holy Bible, and it's a Blessing from GOD in our daily lives.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Def

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 01:23:37 PM »

"one moment at the time"
  1: Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God`s elect, and the acknowledging  of  the truth  which is after godliness;
 2:  In hope of eternal life, which God,  that cannot lie, promised before the world began.(Titus 1:1-2  KJV) ......One moment at the time in Jesus Name...
in Jesus Def...(";")
  But the scripture hath concluded  all under sin,  that the promise  by  faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.(Galatians 3:22  KJV)
one moment at the time in Jesus..Def

Def

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 01:40:50 PM »

It's a mystery to the lost when we tell them that many portions of the Bible must be spiritually discerned. In other words, the Holy Spirit of GOD helps us to understand it. There are many spiritual things that the world doesn't understand, and they aren't supposed to.

Isa 11:2  The Spirit of the LORD will rest on Him, The spirit of wisdom and understanding, The spirit of counsel and strength, The spirit of knowledge and the fear of the LORD.

Isa 30:15  For thus the Lord GOD, the Holy One of Israel, has said, "In repentance and rest you will be saved, In quietness and trust is your strength." But you were not willing,

Isa 40:26  Lift up your eyes on high And see who has created these stars, The One who leads forth their host by number, He calls them all by name; Because of the greatness of His might and the strength of His power, Not one of them is missing.

Isa 40:29  He gives strength to the weary, And to him who lacks might He increases power.

Jer 17:5  Thus says the LORD, "Cursed is the man who trusts in mankind And makes flesh his strength, And whose heart turns away from the LORD.

Eph 1:19  and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might

Eph 6:10  Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might.

Most Christians give thanks to GOD and know where their strength comes from. In fact, we know the source of all good things - ALMIGHTY GOD.

1Pe 4:11  Whoever speaks, is to do so as one who is speaking the utterances of God; whoever serves is to do so as one who is serving by the strength which God supplies; so that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs the glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.

"Strength" is a fascinating word in the Holy Bible, and it's a Blessing from GOD in our daily lives.

Love In Christ,
Tom
Tom thank you for your visit ,and "Isa 30:15  in my bornagain experience has been one of the verses in WORD to follow cause I was ' willing' ( because He let me to be willing by His mercy) to leave all and be still..Tom you got me going again.Great ,thankYou and bless you for your word and verses of perseverance and encouragement" Praise the Lord...
one moment a the time in Jesus..Def
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 01:42:32 PM by Def » Logged

Def

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 02:18:01 PM »

And said"  Naked came  I  out of my mother' s  womb, and naked shall I  return thither:  the LORD  gave,   and the LORD hath taken away;  blessed be the name of the LORD. (Job 1:21 KJV)
Hidden with Christ in God(Col 3:3)NKJ
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 02:19:47 PM by Def » Logged

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 02:27:30 PM »

Eph 6:11  Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
Eph 6:12  For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Eph 6:13  Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Eph 6:14  Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
Eph 6:15  And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
Eph 6:16  Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
Eph 6:17  And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
Eph 6:18  Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Luk 18:1  And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint;
Luk 18:2  Saying, There was in a city a judge, which feared not God, neither regarded man:
Luk 18:3  And there was a widow in that city; and she came unto him, saying, Avenge me of mine adversary.
Luk 18:4  And he would not for a while: but afterward he said within himself, Though I fear not God, nor regard man;
Luk 18:5  Yet because this widow troubleth me, I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.
Luk 18:6  And the Lord said, Hear what the unjust judge saith.
Luk 18:7  And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them?
Luk 18:8  I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 03:26:50 PM »

Patience and Longsuffering - Part of Perseverance

Brothers and Sisters,

Patience and longsuffering are also related to perseverance, so I decided that I wanted to look in the Bible to see how it addresses these qualities.

From Websters (Holy Bible Version)

Patience
PATIENCE, n. pa'shens. [L. patientia, from patior, to suffer.]

1. The suffering of afflictions, pain, toil, calamity, provocation or other evil, with a calm, unruffled temper; endurance without murmuring or fretfulness. Patience may spring from constitutional fortitude, from a kind of heroic pride, or from Christian submission to the divine will.

2. A calm temper which bears evils without murmuring or discontent.

3. The act or quality of waiting long for justice or expected good without discontent.

Have patience with me,and I will pay thee all. Mat 18.

4. Perseverance; constancy in labor or exertion.

He learnt with patience, and with meekness taught.

5. The quality of bearing offenses and injuries without anger or revenge.

His rage was kindled and his patience gone.

6. Sufferance; permission. [Not used.]

7. A plant, a species of rumex of dock.

Longsuffering
LONG'SUF'FERING, a. Bearing injuries or provocation for a long time; patient; not easily provoked.

The Lord God, merciful and gracious, long-suffering and abundant in goodness. Exo 34.

Patience in the Holy Bible is many times related to suffering and longsuffering. As Christians, we should know that we aren't immune from suffering. We will all face trials in this short life that will require strength, patience, and longsuffering. However, we have a great advantage over the lost because we have the Holy Spirit of GOD living in our hearts who will guide us and lead us if we simply pray and ask HIM to. As a Christian matures, we also have the Strength of CHRIST that grows and matures within us.

Ecc 7:8  The end of a matter is better than its beginning; Patience of spirit is better than haughtiness of spirit.

Isa 7:13  Then he said, "Listen now, O house of David! Is it too slight a thing for you to try the patience of men, that you will try the patience of my God as well?

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 03:32:02 PM »

Rom 2:4  Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance?

Rom 9:22  What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction?

2Co 6:1  And working together with Him, we also urge you not to receive the grace of God in vain--
2Co 6:2  for He says, "AT THE ACCEPTABLE TIME I LISTENED TO YOU, AND ON THE DAY OF SALVATION I HELPED YOU." Behold, now is "THE ACCEPTABLE TIME," behold, now is "THE DAY OF SALVATION"--
2Co 6:3  giving no cause for offense in anything, so that the ministry will not be discredited,
2Co 6:4  but in everything commending ourselves as servants of God, in much endurance, in afflictions, in hardships, in distresses,
2Co 6:5  in beatings, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labors, in sleeplessness, in hunger,
2Co 6:6  in purity, in knowledge, in patience, in kindness, in the Holy Spirit, in genuine love,
2Co 6:7  in the word of truth, in the power of God; by the weapons of righteousness for the right hand and the left,
2Co 6:8  by glory and dishonor, by evil report and good report; regarded as deceivers and yet true;
2Co 6:9  as unknown yet well-known, as dying yet behold, we live; as punished yet not put to death,
2Co 6:10  as sorrowful yet always rejoicing, as poor yet making many rich, as having nothing yet possessing all things.
2Co 6:11  Our mouth has spoken freely to you, O Corinthians, our heart is opened wide.

Gal 5:22  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

Eph 4:1  Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called,
Eph 4:2  with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love,
Eph 4:3  being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

1Ti 1:16  Yet for this reason I found mercy, so that in me as the foremost, Jesus Christ might demonstrate His perfect patience as an example for those who would believe in Him for eternal life.

2Ti 3:10  Now you followed my teaching, conduct, purpose, faith, patience, love, perseverance,
2Ti 3:11  persecutions, and sufferings, such as happened to me at Antioch, at Iconium and at Lystra; what persecutions I endured, and out of them all the Lord rescued me!

Jas 5:10  As an example, brethren, of suffering and patience, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord.

1Pe 2:20  For what credit is there if, when you sin and are harshly treated, you endure it with patience? But if when you do what is right and suffer for it you patiently endure it, this finds favor with God.

2Pe 3:13  But according to His promise we are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells.
2Pe 3:14  Therefore, beloved, since you look for these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless,
2Pe 3:15  and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you,
2Pe 3:16  as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

Brothers and Sisters, we should all reflect on the patience and longsuffering of GOD in dealing with each one of us when we were lost and when we sin. We are to emulate HIS patience and longsuffering because they also relate to HIS Love for us. "Perseverance" does come full circle back to "Love", and it is a part of Christian character that we should display to others. By "Display", I'm not talking about acting or make-believe, rather real and genuine. So, where does a Christian obtain the elements of "Perseverance"? Is it from human nature, or is it from GOD and something we pray for HIM to give us? Don't we all know the answer to this question?

Love In Christ,
Tom

Matthew 22:36-40  NASB  "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" And He said to him, " 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.' "This is the great and foremost commandment. "The second is like it, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.' "On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets."

Def

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 03:38:48 PM »

Brothers and Sisters,

Patience and longsuffering are also related to perseverance, so I decided that I wanted to look in the Bible to see how it addresses these qualities.

From Websters (Holy Bible Version)

Patience
PATIENCE, n. pa'shens. [L. patientia, from patior, to suffer.]

1. The suffering of afflictions, pain, toil, calamity, provocation or other evil, with a calm, unruffled temper; endurance without murmuring or fretfulness. Patience may spring from constitutional fortitude, from a kind of heroic pride, or from Christian submission to the divine will.

2. A calm temper which bears evils without murmuring or discontent.

3. The act or quality of waiting long for justice or expected good without discontent.

Have patience with me,and I will pay thee all. Mat 18.

4. Perseverance; constancy in labor or exertion.

He learnt with patience, and with meekness taught.

5. The quality of bearing offenses and injuries without anger or revenge.

His rage was kindled and his patience gone.

6. Sufferance; permission. [Not used.]

7. A plant, a species of rumex of dock.

Longsuffering
LONG'SUF'FERING, a. Bearing injuries or provocation for a long time; patient; not easily provoked.

The Lord God, merciful and gracious, long-suffering and abundant in goodness. Exo 34.

Patience in the Holy Bible is many times related to suffering and longsuffering. As Christians, we should know that we aren't immune from suffering. We will all face trials in this short life that will require strength, patience, and longsuffering. However, we have a great advantage over the lost because we have the Holy Spirit of GOD living in our hearts who will guide us and lead us if we simply pray and ask HIM to. As a Christian matures, we also have the Strength of CHRIST that grows and matures within us.

Ecc 7:8  The end of a matter is better than its beginning; Patience of spirit is better than haughtiness of spirit.

Isa 7:13  Then he said, "Listen now, O house of David! Is it too slight a thing for you to try the patience of men, that you will try the patience of my God as well?

Def

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 05:40:07 PM »

Peace from God our father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

17: How precious also are You thoughts to me, O God!
How great is the sum of them!
18: If I should count them,
they would be more in number than the sand;
When I awake, I am still with You..(Psalm 139:17-18 NKJ)

My brothers and sisters, May God smile on you all the time.
Persevering  looking up! as a act of gratitude in Jesus .

Hidden with Jesus in God(Col3:3 NKJ)
Goodnight You All .+¸+.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 05:42:03 PM by Def » Logged

Def

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 03:47:17 PM »

Grace to you and Peace from God our Father and our Lord Jesus Christ.(Phil 1:2 NKJ)

Here is my study for this moment in God's time .

5: I  Am the LORD, and There Is none else, There Is no God beside me:
    I girded thee, though thou hast not known Me:
6: That they may know from the rising of the sun,and from the West,
    that There Is none beside Me,
    I Am The LORD, and There Is none else.
7: I form the light, and create darkness:
    I make peace, and create evil:
    I The LORD do all these Things. (Isaiah 45:5-7 KJV)

Good night all (+¸+)  Def.
Hidden with Christ in God(Col3:3 NKJ) 

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the