Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:21:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Politics and Political Issues (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  American Minute
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] Go Down Print
Author Topic: American Minute  (Read 101576 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: August 24, 2007, 10:30:30 AM »

"To sink the foe or save the maimed, Our mission and our pride, We'll carry on 'til Kingdom Come, Ideals for which we've died." Thus went the anthem of the US Coast Guard, which was established AUGUST 4, 1790, when Congress authorized ten boats to be built for the Revenue Marine. Four years later they were charged with stopping slave-traders from bringing new slaves from Africa. They freed almost 500 slaves. President Herbert Hoover stated December 27, 1929: "A further proposal...is the definite expansion of the Coast Guard...in the matter of border patrol." On June 1, 1945, President Truman listed casualties of the Battle of Okinawa: "Navy and Coast Guard losses were 4,729 killed and 4,640 wounded." At the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, New London, September 20, 1952, Truman stated: "I was just reading...about the Coast Guard's icebreaker that has been closer to the North Pole than any other ship in delivering food and supplies to a station up there...That, my young friends, is what makes this country great." At a US Coast Guard commencement, May 18, 1988, President Reagan stated: "It's our prayer to serve America in peace. It's our commitment to defend her in war."

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 24, 2007, 10:31:06 AM »

The first book printed in America was the Bay Psalm Book by John Eliot, who was baptized in England as an infant on AUGUST 5, 1604. Called "Apostle to the Indians," he sailed to America and preached his first sermon in the Algonquian language in 1646. He translated the Ten Commandments, Lord's Prayer and the Bible-the first to be printed in America, in 1663. In a 1674 census, 4,000 "Praying Indians" were in 14 self-ruling villages with houses, streets, bridges, and their own ministers. John Eliot wrote: "The Word of God is the perfect System of Laws to guide all moral actions of man." In a Brief Narrative, July 20, 1670, Eliot wrote: "These Indians being of kin to our Massachusett Indians...received amongst them the light and love of the Truth...On a day of Fasting and Prayer, Elders were ordained...The Teacher of the Praying Indians of Nantucket, with a Brother...who made good Confessions of Jesus Christ...did make report that there be about ninety families who pray unto God in that island, so effectual is the Light of the Gospel." Sadly, after the death of Pilgrim leader William Bradford and Indian chief Massasoit, tensions led to King Phillip's War in 1675 and hundreds of these Indians died.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 24, 2007, 10:31:41 AM »

Camelot and King Arthur's Court, Knights of the Round Table, Guinevere, Sir Lancelot, the Holy Grail - our imaginations soar with history and legend immortalized by poet Alfred Lord Tennyson, born AUGUST 6, 1809. Son of a clergyman, he recorded the courage of the British Cavalry in The Charge of the Light Brigade as they rode to their deaths fighting in Russia. Honored by Queen Victoria as Poet-Laureate, Alfred Lord Tennyson wrote: "Cast all your cares on God; that anchor holds." In 1905, U.S. Supreme Court Justice David Josiah Brewer referred to Tennyson in his lecture The Promise and Possibilities of the Future: "Some think...that we are mere atoms of matter tossed to and fro...Speaker Reed once said...great events of history were brought about by an intelligent and infinite Being...If you will reflect a little you will be led to the conclusion that, as Tennyson writes 'Through the ages one increasing purpose runs.'" Justice Brewer continued "If there be a purpose running through the life of the world, is it not plain that one thought in the divine plan was that in this republic should be unfolded and developed in the presence of the world the Christian doctrine of the fatherhood of God and the brotherhood of man?"

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 24, 2007, 10:32:14 AM »

The largest town in Kentucky had less than 2,000 people, yet 25,000 arrived at Cane Ridge, Kentucky, AUGUST 7, 1801, from as far away as Ohio and Tennessee, to hear Barton W. Stone and other Baptist, Methodist and Presbyterian ministers. Part of the Second Great Awakening, these "camp meetings" were described by Rev. Moses Hodge: "Nothing that imagination can paint can make a stronger impression...Sinners dropping down on every hand, professors praying, others in raptures of joy!...There can be no question but it is of God, as the subjects...can give a clear and rational account of their conversion." The revival began in the lawlessness Kentucky frontier in 1797 when James McGready and his small church agreed to: "bind ourselves to observe the 3rd Saturday of each month for one year as a day of fasting and prayer for the conversion of sinners in Logan County and throughout the world...pleading with God to revive His work." Previously, in June of 1800, 500 gathered at the Red River and later 8,000 at the Gaspar River, some from 100 miles away. Reports stated: "The power of God seemed to shake the whole assembly...the cries of the distressed arose...No person seemed to wish to go home."

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 24, 2007, 10:32:57 AM »

AUGUST 8, 1974, televised from the Oval Office, 37th President Richard Nixon said: "Good evening. This is the 37th time I have spoken to you from this office...To continue to fight...for my personal vindication would almost totally absorb the time and attention of both the President and the Congress...Therefore, I shall resign...If some of my judgments were wrong...they were made in what I believed...to be the best interest of the Nation." Nixon continued: "In the Middle East, 100 million people in the Arab countries, many of whom have considered us their enemy...now look on us as their friends. We must continue to build on that friendship so that...the cradle of civilization will not become its grave." Nixon went on speaking: "I have taken heart from what Theodore Roosevelt once said about the man in the arena, 'whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly...If he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly.'...In leaving...I do so with this prayer: May God's grace be with you in all the days ahead." Privately to his Cabinet, President Nixon said: "Mistakes, yes...for personal gain, never...I can only say to each...of you...we come from many faiths...but really the same God...You will be in our hearts and...in our prayers."

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 24, 2007, 10:47:26 AM »

“So great is my veneration for the Bible, and so strong my belief that, when duly read and meditated upon, it is of all books in the world that which contributes to make men good, wise, and happy, that the earlier my children begin to read it, and the more steadily they pursue the practice of reading it throughout their lives, the more lively and confident will be my hopes that they will prove useful citizens to their country, respectable members of society, and a real blessing to their parents.

“I have, myself, for many years made it a practice to read through the Bible once every year. My custom is to read four or five chapters every morning, immediately after rising from bed. It employs about an hour of my time, and seems to me the most suitable manner of beginning the day.

“You know the difference between right and wrong. You know some of your duties, and the obligation you are under of becoming acquainted with them all. It is in the Bible you must learn them, and from the Bible how to practise them. Those duties are—to God, to your fellow-creatures, to yourself. ‘Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength, and thy neighbor as thyself.’ On these two commandments (Jesus Christ expressly says) ‘hang all the law and the prophets.’ That is to say that the whole purpose of divine revelation is to inculcate them efficaciously upon the minds of men. Let us, then, search the Scriptures." -John Quincy Adam, Sixth President of the United States (The Christian Life and Character of the Civil Institutions of the United States, Benjamin F. Morris (Powder Springs, GA: American Vision, 2007), p. 215.)

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 24, 2007, 10:49:14 AM »

"Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime & pure, [and] which denounces against the wicked eternal misery, and [which] insured to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments." -Charles Carroll of Carrollton, Signer of the Declaration of Independence (Bernard C. Steiner, The Life and Correspondence of James McHenry (Cleveland: The Burrows Brothers, 1907), p. 475. In a letter from Charles Carroll to James McHenry of November 4, 1800.)

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 24, 2007, 10:50:10 AM »

IN CONGRESS, November 1, 1777

FORASMUCH as it is the indispensable Duty of all Men to adore the superintending Providence of Almighty God; to acknowledge with Gratitude their Obligation to him for benefits received, and to implore such farther Blessings as they stand in Need of; And it having pleased him in his abundant Mercy not only to continue to us the innumerable Bounties of his common Providence, but also to smile upon us in the Prosecution of a just and necessary War, for the Defence and Establishment of our unalienable Rights and Liberties; particularly in that he hath been pleased in so great a Measure to prosper the Means used for the Support of our Troops and to crown our Arms with most signal success:

It is therefore recommended to the legislative or executive powers of these United States, to set apart THURSDAY, the eighteenth Day of December next, for Solemn Thanksgiving and Praise; That with one Heart and one Voice the good People may express the grateful Feelings of their Hearts, and consecrate themselves to the Service of their Divine Benefactor; and that together with their sincere Acknowledgments and Offerings, they may join the penitent Confession of their manifold Sins, whereby they had forfeited every Favour, and their humble and earnest Supplication that it may please GOD, through the Merits of Jesus Christ, mercifully to forgive and blot them out of Remembrance; That it may please him graciously to afford his Blessing on the Governments of these States respectively, and prosper the public Council of the whole; to inspire our Commanders both by Land and Sea, and all under them, with that Wisdom and Fortitude which may render them fit Instruments, under the Providence of Almighty GOD, to secure for these United States the greatest of all human blessings, INDEPENDENCE and PEACE; That it may please him to prosper the Trade and Manufactures of the People and the Labour of the Husbandman, that our Land may yet yield its Increase; To take Schools and Seminaries of Education, so necessary for cultivating the Principles of true Liberty, Virtue and Piety, under his nurturing Hand, and to prosper the Means of Religion for the promotion and enlargement of that Kingdom which consisteth "in Righteousness, Peace and Joy in the Holy Ghost."

And it is further recommended, that servile Labour, and such Recreation as, though at other Times innocent, may be unbecoming the Purpose of this Appointment, be omitted on so solemn an Occasion. -Journals of the American Congress From 1774 to 1788 (Washington: Way and Gideon, 1823), Vol. II, pp. 309-310.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 24, 2007, 10:56:54 AM »

In 1777, Congress issued an official resolution instructing the Committee on Commerce to import 20,000 copies of the Bible. With the outbreak of war with England, the sea lanes had been cut off to the colonies. This meant that goods that were once common in the colonies were no longer being imported—including Bibles printed in England. Congress decided to act.

The legislation of Congress on the Bible is a suggestive Christian fact, and one which evinces the faith of the statesmen of that period in its divinity, as well as their purpose to place it as the corner-stone in our republican institutions. The breaking out of the Revolution cut off the supply of "books printed in London." The scarcity of Bibles also came soon to be felt. Dr. PATRICK ALLISON, one of the chaplains to Congress, and other gentlemen, brought the subject before that body in a memorial, in which they urged the printing of an edition of the Scriptures.1

The committee approved the importing of 20,000 copies of the Bible from Scotland, Holland, and elsewhere. Congressmen resolved to pass this proposal because they believed that "the use of the Bible is so universal, and its importance so great."2 Even though the resolution passed, action was never taken. Instead, Congress began to put emphasis on the printing of Bibles within the United States. In 1777 Robert Aitken of Philadelphia published a New Testament. Three additional editions were published in 1789, 1779, and 1781. The edition of 1779 was used in schools. Aitken's efforts proved so popular that he announced his desire to publish the whole Bible; he then petitioned Congress for support.

1 Benjamin F. Morris, The Christian Life and Character of the Civil Institutions of the United States (Philadelphia, PA: G.W. Childs, 1864), 215. This 800-page book is available on CD from American Vision.

2 From a report submitted to Congress, quoted in John Wright, Early Bibles in America, 3rd rev. ed. (New York: Thomas Whittaker, 1894), 55.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 30, 2007, 09:31:48 PM »

Abigail Adams (1744-1818), was the wife of 2nd President, John Adams and the mother of 6th President, John Quincy Adams.  At the age of twenty she married John Adams and they had five children.  She strongly supported her husband's career.  Her letters and memoirs are now considered major historical documents revealing life during the Revolutionary era.

On October 16,1774, just prior to the outbreak of war with Great Britain, Abigail wrote to John Adams from their home in Braintree:

"I dare not express to you, at three hundred miles distance, how ardently I long for your return ... And whether the end will be tragical, Heaven only knows.  You cannot be, I know, nor do I wish to see you, an inactive spectator; but if the sword be drawn, I bid adieu to all domestic felicity, and look forward to that country where there are neither wars nor rumors of war, in a firm belief that through the mercy of its King we shall both rejoice there together...  Your most affectionate, Abigail Adams." ¹

On June 18, 1775, in the midst of the conflict with Britain, Abigail Adams writes to her husband John:

"The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but the God of Israel is He that giveth strength and power unto His people.  Trust in Him at all times, ye people, pour out your hearts before Him; God is a refuge for us.  Abigail Adams." ²

Near the time of November 5, 1775, Abigail wrote to her friend, Mercy Warren:

"A patriot without religion in my estimation is as great a paradox as an honest Man without the fear of God.  Is it possible that he whom no moral obligations bind, can have any real Good Will towards Men?  Can he be a patriot who, by an openly vicious conduct, is undermining the very bonds of Society?...  The Scriptures tell us "righteousness exalteth a Nation." ³

On February 8,1797, Abigail writes to her husband John at the occasion of his election as the 2nd President of the United States:

"You have this day to declare yourself head of a nation.  'And now, O Lord, my God, Thou hast made thy servant ruler over the people.  Give unto him an understanding heart, that he may know how to go out and come in before this great people; that he may discern between good and bad.  For who is able to judge this thy so great a people?' were the words of a royal Sovereign; and not less applicable to him who is invested with the Chief Magistracy of a nation, though he wear not a crown, nor robes of royalty.

"... though personally absent... my petitions to Heaven are that 'the things which make for peace may not be hidden from your eyes.'  ...That you may be enabled to discharge them with honor to yourself, with justice and impartiality to your country, and with satisfaction to this great people, shall be the daily prayer of you.  Abigail Adams." 4 

¹ October 16, 1774, writing to her husband John Adams form their home in Braintree.  Letters of Abigail Adams to Her Husband (Old South Leaflets, No. 6, Fourth Series, 1886), pp. 1-3.  Catherine Millard, The Rewriting of America's History (Camp Hill, PA: Horizon House Publishers, 1991), p. 85.

² June 18, 1775, in writing to her husband John Adams.  Charles Francis Adams, ed., Familiar Letters of John Adams and his wife Abigail Adams - during the Revolution, p. XXVI, pp. 3-4.  Catherine Millard, The Rewriting of America's History (Camp Hill, PA: Horizon House Publishers, 1991), p. 88.

³ L.H. Butterfield, ed., Adams Family Correspondence (Cambridge, MA: The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 1963), Vol. I, p. 323, from Abigail Adams to Mercy Warren, circa Nov. 5, 1775.  David Barton, The Myth of Separation (Aledo, TX: WallBuilder Press, 1991), p. 95, 249.  Also Jan Payne Pierce, The Patriot Primer III (Fletcher, NC: New Puritan Library, Inc., 1987), p. 44.  Warren-Adams Letters, Vol. I, p. 72.  Peter Marshall and David Manuel, The Glory of America (Bloomington, MN: Garborg's Heart 'N Home, Inc., 1991), 3.11.

4 February 8, 1797, in writing to her husband John at the occasion of his election as the 2nd President of the United States.  Charles Francis Adams, ed., Familiar Letters of John Adams and his wife Abigail Adams - during the Revolution. p. XXII.  Catherine Millard, The Rewriting of America's History (Camp Hill, PA: Horizon House Publishers, 1991), p. 86.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 30, 2007, 09:33:05 PM »

John Adams was George Washington's Vice President, he was the 2nd President of the United States, and he signed the Declaration of Independence.  He also influenced the American states to ratify the Constitution.

"I have examined all religions, as well as my narrow sphere, my straightened means, and my busy life, would allow; and the result is that the Bible is the best Book in the world.  It contains more philosophy than all the libraries I have seen."

(Source: John Adams.  This was written in a letter to Thomas Jefferson on December 25, 1813.  This can be found in the "Adams-Jefferson Letters.")

"The Christian religion is, above all the Religions that ever prevailed or existed in ancient or modern times, the religion of Wisdom, Virtue, Equity, and Humanity.  Let the Blackguard Paine say what he will; it is Resignation to God, it is Goodness itself to Man."

(Source: John Adams.  This was a response to Thomas Paine's assertions and stated in Adams' diary on July 26, 1796.)

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 30, 2007, 09:34:25 PM »

John Quincy Adams (1767-1848) was the son of John Adams (our 2nd President) and our 6th President.  He was a devout Christian.  Here is a quote from him as he was in London and negotiating the Treaty of Ghent on December 24, 1814.

"I find in the New Testament, Jesus Christ accosted  in His own presence by one of His disciples as God, without disclaiming the appellation.  I see Him explicitly declared by at least two other of the Apostles to be God, expressly and repeatedly announced, not only as having existed before the worlds, but as the Creator of the worlds without beginning of days or end of years.  I see Him named in the great prophecy of Isaiah concerning him to be the mighty God! . . .

The texts are too numerous, they are from parts of the Scriptures too diversified, they are sometimes connected by too strong a chain of argument, and the inferences from them are, to my mind, too direct and irresistible, to admit of the explanations which the Unitarians sometimes attempt to give them, or the evasions by which, at others, they endeavor to escape from them."

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 30, 2009, 02:21:18 PM »

Some great videos from a conservative website called NMA TV.

http://www.nmatv.com/video/1913/We-Must-Take-America-Back

http://www.nmatv.com/video/1812/We-The-People-Stimulus-Package

http://www.nmatv.com/video/1903/2A-Today-for-the-USA-Part-1

http://www.nmatv.com/video/1904/2A-Today-for-the-USA-Part-2

http://www.nmatv.com/video/1906/2A-Today-for-the-USA-Part-3

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 31, 2009, 10:10:10 AM »

GREAT VIDEOS - THANKS BROTHER!

Sadly, I think that we aren't far from a point of no return - one where such damage is done that there isn't much left to fix. If there is to be demands from the people or removal from office, these efforts need to be escalated.

It is obvious that the RULE OF LAW and the CONSTITUTION is being trampled. If our so-called representatives get by with this without CRIMINAL charges and removal from office, they will simply slow the train down and ruin the country anyway. SO, it's my opinion that the full force of the LAW and the CONSTITUTION must be used to CLEAN HOUSE AND PUT THE TRAITORS IN PRISON!

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the