Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:35:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  For Men Only (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Men Lessons.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Men Lessons.  (Read 13006 times)
Wren

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2003, 05:28:41 PM »

Man lessons go far beyond the husband/wife relationship pit! They are the lessons that I have adopted in something of a creed. To wit: I am a large, intimadating guy. I refuse to use that to bully others, and I strive to strike up a conversation with strangers, as it is unlikely they will start one with me(I hate that!).
I look to fulfill what I consider man roles. I try to find young boys who have no father and will take them fishing. No child should grow up without fishing!
When I pray in the morning, I ask God for a chance to brighten someones day in a small way. For instance, after enjoying a meal at a restaurant, I will ask to speak to the manager. They usually expect a complaint, but I tell them how good everything was and thanks for the meal. Some pass out at that point!
I hold doors for women. I consider it a matter of respect.
I do not abide abuse of others by another. If I see you kick or beat your dog, I WILL intervene. If you get rough with a woman or a child, well, thats when my Christian beliefs get pushed aside. I will deal with you directly and in a forthright manner.
I strive to show my soft side. There is nothing I enjoy quite so much as sitting down in the dirt with some little kids and playing around. Kinda like the big simple guy in the John Wayne film who is prodded into a fight when he was buzy playing with some children. Forget which movie. Kids are just SO great. Even at 6', 285 lbs they are so much better at sensing my gentle nature I just get a large kick out of it.
I have learned to be humble. If I have a problem with any one type of personality, it is arrogance. I have a very tough time with it.
I have learned that one of the most powerful, yet unused forces of nature is the hug. A woman that I knew only slightly once told me that she could really really use a hug and that I looked like I could give a good one. My face and spirit lit up and I told her "Honey, I'm  world class!"  We are good friends now and it was all so simple.
Being a man is not difficult. Acting like a man is!
I thank the Lord for making me, well, me!

...old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.....
TigerLily
Gold Member

Laugh often,long & loud.Laugh until you feel it!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2003, 03:09:56 PM »

wow... after reading that im convinced perhaps you should take up teaching a mens class,
SUBJECT: how to Act Like A Man,,

cause my friend,,, there are many men in this world but not alot who know how to act like a gentlemen!!

Except of course. most of the men on this forum  Wink

TL

Remember that tho the storms of life may rage & stir things up, cause chaos and at times many hurts, etc...In the end, It can unearth the most beautiful of treasure! Keep Holding on to Jesus thru the storm & He will indeed show you the beauty of life after its all settled & peaceful, Its His Plan!
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2003, 08:34:53 PM »

Yes, Wren, that's a good one.  Thank you
Diego

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2003, 01:08:37 PM »

Having been a Christian for just over two years now, I must say that I have learned a lot.  However, God has been teaching me lately that everyone who has a younger brother has a duty to see him brought up right (especially if the parents don't know Jesus).  Just going to my brother's sports games, asking him how his day went when he comes home from school, giving him a hug: all these are little ways to let him know you care.  And that is invaluable, especially when you come to realize how much younger borthers look up to their older brothers.  And there is no one else except another man to teach the young ones man lessons and show him what it really means to be a guy.
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2003, 05:57:56 PM »

Dear Diego,

Wow, thanks for your nice post.  May the Lord richly bless you in your walk with Jesus, and with your younger brother.

Are you a younger brother yourself?  If not, you surely nevetheless seem to understand how a younger brother might think of his older sibling.  

You're right on, because I am a younger brother, and I'm sorry to say such is not the case.  Yes, I looked up to my older brother almost like I would a dad.  But I"ve had to learn the hard way he was not a good example!!  It's taken me a long time to accept that.  As you imply, it just is a very natural, built-in notion to look up to one's older sibling, especially brother to older brother.

YOu are aware of your responsibilities.  That is so great.  Beware of jealousies.  Beware of becoming jealous when a younger sibling does well at something.  That will be a temptation--or at least it is with many of us.

I've been studying recently Jesus' relationship with his own siblings--AND with his mother.  Note what Jesus says, while up on the cross, to his mother, there in John.  He doesn't give her to his siblings to take care of her(Jesus of course being the eldest, since Mary being a virgin when he was born), he gives her to someone else(the disciple "whom Jesus loved").  So, why no family members to take care of her?  That's odd.  Why.

Also, earlier in John, ch. 7 or 8, I think, it says Jesus' brothers did not believe in him.  Elsehwhere, it mentions "sisters" of Jesus.

So he had apparently a large family.  Why no one there to take care of Mary?  Very odd--except...

Except, I'm guessing, immense jealousy, sibling rivalry towards Jesus, because he would have done "all things well".  I don't wonder if even Mary may have had difficulty with that one--a child who didn't make mistakes!  Making Momma look bad.  ARGGGGHHHH!!

So I'm guess by the time Jesus goes to the cross, he's long since been abandoned by his siblings.  Just an "educated" guess on my part.  Of course, we do understand the book of James to have been written by James the brother of Jesus, but we are to assume he must have believed after Jesus' resurrection--perhaps even years later.  He was Martyered, though, as we understand it, around 62 A.D., and no little controversy lately of a bone box discovered with his name inscribed on it--perhaps you heard about this.

Anyway, God bless you in your good notion to encourage and be a good example for your younger brother.  Ultimately, he too has to find "his own way", of course, but so glad to hear that you acknowledge that responsibility there to be helpful and a good example.

In Jesus' Name...
ollie
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2003, 08:36:35 PM »

What are some lessons, as a man, you've been learning lately?

I've been learning to keep my mouth SHUT('cept on these boards, hehe).  I've been learning that everything is in the power of the tongue.  That I just need to ZIP IT.  To SHUDUP.  To listen.  To ask question first, shoot later--or not shoot at all.

All things work themselves out, so stop fussing and fretting.
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2003, 10:05:38 PM »

jacob6847

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2003, 12:18:15 AM »

“The Power of the Tongue.” This kind of stuff borders on the absurd. “Say what you want and you will have it.” Yes, the Bible does refer to that in many places, but the word that qualifies all these things is “BELIEVE.” However, the suggestion you bring up is that WHATEVER we say, no matter how trivial, will come back to bite us in the hindquarters.

I disagree....We are not to expect that every word that we say will come somehow have consequences. Granted, if you BELIEVE something strongly enough you may tap into the supernatural and reap the rewards (or consequences) depending on “Whom” or “what” you pray to. But in everyday conversation with the world and/or with other Christians, mere words only have the power to do one thing…. communicate…period.

If you BELIEVE that the Lord Jesus answers prayer He will… it may not be the answer YOU are looking for, but He will answer. But to BELIEVE is more than mere “mental assent”… it is trusting in the power of God to do anything and everything you ask according to His will. Try that in the “flesh” (so to speak)… like for material things, and you may be disappointed. God is more concerned with the spiritual needs of His people than the material needs… Yes, He does take into account those who are destitute through no fault of their own and gives them the material needs they request. But I caution you not to fall for the “name it and claim it” Gospel lest you find yourself dealing with the “angel of light” (2 Corinthians 11:14-15) who will gladly manipulate your environment to get you the “things” you crave.

There is no one more powerless than a Christian who is afraid to speak because he might say something “negative” that might result in him being in the situation he fears most. But, God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, of love and of a sound mind.

BUT… if your words have gotten you in trouble follow this rule Colossians 4:6.
 Jacob<><
Saved_4ever
Gold Member

A KJV bible believing Christian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2003, 01:55:55 AM »

Let us not forget these words here though directly from Jesus.

Mt 12:36
But I say unto you, That every idle word that men
shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the
day of judgment.

I'd say that eventually your words most certainly will have a consequence, though maybe not in the exact light you were speaking of.  I just didn't want people to think they should go out saying whatever they wanted and no one was paying attention or "keeping records".  It's more than apparent someone is "recording" every word we say and they WILL be played back for us.

God bless,
Jason

IrishAngel
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2003, 09:41:04 AM »

uh...shouldnt this thread be like 100 pages long by now?

~ for those who may wonder, there really is no place that angels fear to tread  Cheesy
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2003, 07:15:38 AM »

uh...shouldnt this thread be like 100 pages long by now?

~ for those who may wonder, there really is no place that angels fear to tread  Cheesy

Hi, Irish.  Yep, that's for sure.

Saved 4 Ever's is a good reminder.
IrishAngel
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2003, 07:41:49 AM »

Symphony  Cheesy

say wha  Huh

huh  Huh

eh  Huh

Coyote

Aim High!!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2003, 10:12:34 AM »

Well I learned quite a bit in the past couple of months. When planning wedding actvities with your wife (actually vow renewal) "sounds great" is very expensive. "how much is that going to cost?" Will get me a 10 minute lecture on the wonders of Ebay, and that this is her Day and I'm just showing up... lol (she just says that to get under my skin... I think) "you invited who?" out of the 100 guests 10 are mine so I get the well you didn't invite anybody speech. I am supposed to be involved, but she is so happy getting headaches from the planning I don't want to spoil it for her.

I also learned that my kids don't hold much back. They are a little opinonated. When the wife showed them a picture of her dress I heard my oldest son and my daughter giggiling. I asked what was so funny and they said mommy's bottom was a little big. (well after 3 kids my bottom is a little big too he he he) I got on to them, but they suprise me sometimes with the very honest truth.

I have also learned I am a bonehead, but Jesus loves me anyway. My wife and kids love me just as unconditionaly, that just makes all this world worthwhile.

JIM

Amazing Grace how sweet the sound
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2003, 01:22:49 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Coyote,

Cheesy  Brother Jim, I loved your story. Thanks for sharing it with us. I never cease to appreciate the brutal honesty of my children, but the appreciation sometimes comes later.  Cheesy

That sounds like a beautiful event you are planning. My wife and I have been married for over 30 years, and we still have the clothes we wore sealed in plastic. Ours was not a big and formal wedding. My shoes were of the platform type, and my trousers were bell-bottom if that gives you an idea about how long ago that was.  Cheesy

It sounds like God has already richly blessed you and your family, so I'll simply wish you a beautiful future.

In Christ,
Tom

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the