Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 11:42:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286797 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Questions about Hell
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Questions about Hell  (Read 6928 times)
David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2007, 01:22:09 PM »

Who exactly goes there? If it is eternal, what is point of the lake of fire?

My question needs thought and not quick answers with verses and judgements.
Jesus is the way, yes, but there is also God's judgement. Is God's judgement only for Christians? Of course not, but what is the point of judging if they didn't accept Jesus?
1 John 5:17 All wicked actions are sin, but not every sin leads to death.
He isn't talking about physical death. The question becomes, Is it correct to say someone is in Hell just because they didn't accept Jesus?

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 03:36:40 PM »

In order to answer your question let us first answer the question "What is the sin unto death?" If we read the entire chapter of 1 John 5 we will get our answer to this question. Hearing the word of the Gospel and rejecting it is a sin unto death. Unbelievers will go to that awful place, hell. As the word tells us "Rom 1:20  For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: " This is telling us that no one has an excuse for not knowing God and accepting Him. It is everyones choice to either accept Him or reject Him. If they reject Him they are in fact choosing to go to hell instead of heaven.

This also answers your question "Who exactly goes there?"

We know that it is eternal as there are numerous places throughout scripture that attest to this fact.

I'll get back to you on your other two questions later on. I have my grandchildren here today and I'm being called.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 04:04:02 PM »

Thank you, that does answer my question. I should rephrase second question.
Since Hell is eternal, what is the purpose of the lake of fire?

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 04:40:36 PM »

We are not given an overly clear, detailed description of the differences between hell and the lake of fire or what there individual purposes are. We do know that there are differences because of Rev 20:14 tells us that death and hell are cast into the lake of fire. Some claim that all who die a physical death enter hell until the time of judgement. Yet we see in 2 Cor 5 that when we are absent from the body we are present with the Lord and we know for certain that Jesus is in heaven not hell. We see in numerous places where the original Hebrew word for hell (she'ôl  she'ôl) is used to describe both a simple grave in the ground and in other places a burning deep pit.

Rev 20 tells us of Judgment Day at the great White Throne. Here we see all come before God. Verse 13 tells us that the sea gives up the dead in it and that death and hell gives up the dead in them. Each one will then be judged according to their works. We all must give an account of our lives. Then those whose name is in the Book of Life will avoid the second death and be given eternal life. These are those that have accepted Christ as their Saviour.

At this point death and hell (those whose name is not in the Book of Life) are cast into the lake of fire.

We are told that hell is eternal. We are also told that those cast into the lake of fire will be tormented day and night forever and ever (eternally). This is known as the second death.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Def

My Father, it is me your daughter, in Jesus.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 05:05:16 PM »

We are not given an overly clear, detailed description of the differences between hell and the lake of fire or what there individual purposes are. We do know that there are differences because of Rev 20:14 tells us that death and hell are cast into the lake of fire. Some claim that all who die a physical death enter hell until the time of judgement. Yet we see in 2 Cor 5 that when we are absent from the body we are present with the Lord and we know for certain that Jesus is in heaven not hell. We see in numerous places where the original Hebrew word for hell (she'ôl  she'ôl) is used to describe both a simple grave in the ground and in other places a burning deep pit.

Rev 20 tells us of Judgment Day at the great White Throne. Here we see all come before God. Verse 13 tells us that the sea gives up the dead in it and that death and hell gives up the dead in them. Each one will then be judged according to their works. We all must give an account of our lives. Then those whose name is in the Book of Life will avoid the second death and be given eternal life. These are those that have accepted Christ as their Saviour.

At this point death and hell (those whose name is not in the Book of Life) are cast into the lake of fire.

We are told that hell is eternal. We are also told that those cast into the lake of fire will be tormented day and night forever and ever (eternally). This is known as the second death.

got  a Big fish nibling today glory to God in Jesus our Lord Name,  good shot the name of Jesus was raise up.. Pastor Roger, and all of You my bro and sis who want to answer me what do the word "perish" mean to you??well good night every body good night Pastor Roger good night Tom. good night Tina. good night David ,.every body good night.God bless you all, in all your needs  believe it or not when i go to rest i pray  i is the only thing i know what to do and not be shun love in Jesus Def.

But to us There Is But one God,  the  Father, of  whom  Are  all  things, and we in Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ by whom Are all things and we by Him(1Cor 8:6  KJV)
I believe that Jesus died for my sins  was buried rose again and is sitting at the right hand of God Almighty interceding for me Amen
Def

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 05:07:07 PM »

got  a Big fish nibling today glory to God in Jesus our Lord Name,  good shot the name of Jesus was raise up.. Pastor Roger, and all of You my bro and sis who want to answer me what do the word "perish" mean to you??well good night every body good night Pastor Roger good night Tom. good night Tina. good night David ,.every body good night.God bless you all, in all your needs  believe it or not when i go to rest i pray  i is the only thing i know what to do and not be shun love in Jesus Def.
safe hidden with Jsus in God

But to us There Is But one God,  the  Father, of  whom  Are  all  things, and we in Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ by whom Are all things and we by Him(1Cor 8:6  KJV)
I believe that Jesus died for my sins  was buried rose again and is sitting at the right hand of God Almighty interceding for me Amen
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 05:30:20 PM »

Perish as used in the Bible in regards to such verses as:

2Pe 3:9  The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

It means to die. It is an eternal death which means to feel the pain of death continuously for eternity.

Jud 1:7  Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Rev 20:10     ...   into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2007, 05:32:36 PM »

Thank you very much Pastor Roger . I thank God for you

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2007, 05:40:49 PM »

You're most welcome, brother.

Def

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2007, 06:27:02 PM »

Perish as used in the Bible in regards to such verses as:

2Pe 3:9  The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

It means to die. It is an eternal death which means to feel the pain of death continuously for eternity.

Jud 1:7  Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Rev 20:10     ...   into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

What about what God says in John ,3:16 should not perish but have eternal life?

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 07:13:31 PM »

Perish means the same thing there as I explained it above. Those that believe in Him will not suffer that eternal torment and will have everlasting life.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2007, 12:16:14 PM »

I would like to add one more set of verses here on this subject that leaves absolutely no question on this matter.

Mar 9:43  And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
Mar 9:44  Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
Mar 9:45  And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
Mar 9:46  Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
Mar 9:47  And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:
Mar 9:48  Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

"their worm" is a term used to describe the sick, sinful soul. It specifically says that the soul does not die but they are in a fire that never goes out.

Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 12:34:07 AM »

as I read these post...it came to my mind how deep John 3:16 is...So many quote this scripture as if it is a cliche'...without understanding the depth of that verse.."whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish..but have everlasting life...The word"persish..To die or be detroyed, especially in a violent or untimely manner..to pass from existance..disappear gradually..To spoil or deteriorate..To bring to destruction...
Def

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 08:00:12 AM »

as I read these post...it came to my mind how deep John 3:16 is...So many quote this scripture as if it is a cliche'...without understanding the depth of that verse.."whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish..but have everlasting life...The word"perish..To die or be detroyed, especially in a violent or untimely manner..to pass from existance..disappear gradually..To spoil or deteriorate..To bring to destruction...
hi Maryjane, so happy you commeted please do again..the reason i reason with this, is that the lord God add`s to the verse" but have EVERLASTHING LIFE"  so to me the word here "perish means you will die of a violent death( and the lake of fire like i said is pretty violent and to me is the second death . see you soon Maryjane.love in Jesus Def.....by the way if He did not mean death he would not have to had everlasting life cause he does not have to explain Himself right  ,OK byebye
that is because i am happy to talk to you ok(the smily)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 08:01:46 AM by Def » Logged

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 10:30:01 AM »

Yes, death is a terrible situation in which we suffer greatly. Even those that die a "peaceful" physical death do suffer somewhat.

2Co 4:18  While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

There is no delineation here, no exceptions given such as except those that suffer the second death. This verse and the others given in prior posts show us that this suffering is eternal not a temporary thing and it is over.

It is for this reason that we need to be diligent in spreading the Gospel and attempt to bring others to Christ that they will not have to suffer an eternal suffering.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the