Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:37:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286775 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Abolished
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Abolished  (Read 1762 times)
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2003, 06:26:06 AM »

Leviticus 18:1. And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,........

.........22. Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

Leviticus 18:5. Ye shall therefore keep my statutes, and my judgments: which if a man do, he shall live in them: I am the Lord.

Leviticus 20:13. If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Ephesians 2:12. That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
13. But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
14. For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15. Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
16. And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:

Colossians 2:13. And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
14. Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;;

Does Ephesians 2:12 and Colossians 2:13 make void the statutes and commandments given in Leviticus 18:22, 20:13 etc., etc.?

Support your local Christian.
Ralph

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2003, 11:44:45 AM »

Ollie--The texts which you present speak of the deliverance from the law which we have through Christ's offering up Himself as a substitutionary atonement. Without that work, there would have been no deliverance for any of us, but now He has taken it out of the way, making possible peace between sinful men and the thrice holy God. In that sense
the handwriting of ordinances which were against us was abolished. God can now be just and the justifier of those who believe in Him, but His work did not destroy the law of commandments. The moral law still stands. In response to the question of whether or not Christ's work destroyed the moral law Paul said, "We establish the law." Sin is the transgression of the law and the continuing effect of the law is seen in 1 John where the apostle says, "if we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves...if we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins..." This forgiveness is through His
atonement. The benefits of it apply only to those who are born again. Those who are without Christ are not under grace, but are still under the law and its power to condemn
to hell. Its condemning power is abolished to all who truly believe in Him. Therefore, we love His law, agree with Him in the holiness of it, and strive diligently to live in full accord with it. Those without Christ are under the full force of the law and its condemning power as written in 1 Cor 6:9 "Do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolators, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God." As written in 1 John 3:9, those who have been born of God do not continue in such sins.
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2003, 11:57:52 AM »

ollie,

I guess the word "abolished" really means what you want it to mean.

It is clear what is being abolished according to these two passages referenced, is;

"the emnity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances"

Everything that is handwritten on tables of stone or paper was abolished, according to these two verses;

According to the prophecy of;

Jer 31
31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
33  But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

The Apostle Paul, writes;

Heb 8
10  For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

And again;

Heb 10
16  This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
17  And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
18  Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.

Note, there is reference to one covenant that will be made, with two houses at Jer 31:31;

1.  With the "the House of Israel"
2.  With "the house of Judah"

Israel Refers to Jacob;  who does Judah refer to??, and when will the covenant be confirmed with them??

The Lord Jesus is of the tribe of Judah, the Kings of Israel were of the House of Judah, a curse was pronounced upon them, in the reign of Jeconiah, because of the evil, they commited before God in leading the nation in idol worshipping  of other gods.

Note;

Jer 33
14  Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will perform that good thing which I have promised unto the house of Israel and to the house of Judah.
15  In those days, and at that time, will I cause the Branch of righteousness to grow up unto David; and he shall execute judgment and righteousness in the land.
16  In those days shall Judah be saved, and Jerusalem shall dwell safely: and this is the name wherewith she shall be called, The LORD our righteousness.
17  For thus saith the LORD; David shall never want a man to sit upon the throne of the house of Israel;

Let me ask you, again; consider  the begining of verse 16, carefully;

When will this come to pass??  Clearly this is speaking  Judah's salvation, and of the earthly Jerusalemn,

If this King is Jesus, when has He sat on David's throne at Jerusalemn??

According to John (Jhn 12:41 NIV), he said  the prophet Isaiah saw HIM sitting on the throne (Isa 6:5).

Back to the commandments;

According to Paul, at 2 Cor 3:3, He says;

3  Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshly tables of the heart.
4  And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:
5  Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
6  Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
7  But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
8  How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
9  For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.
10  For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.
11  For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.
12  Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech:

Because the Word of God speaks plainly to us..

Jesus said;

Mat 22
36  Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
37  Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38  This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Blessings,

Petro
« Last Edit: November 01, 2003, 11:52:03 PM by Petro » Logged

Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2003, 12:01:12 AM »

Another thought, which might be considered copncerning

Jer 31
31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
33  But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Note verse 32;

God says he made a covenant with their fathers the day HE took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt;

This is the covenant which is abolished along with everything that came with it.

God is not reffering to the Covenant He made with Abraham, Isaac, or Jacob (Israel), but the one made with the Nation at Mt Sinai (Horeb).

Furthermore, this I have written of in my previous post is the mystery that was revealed to the Apsotle Paul, which he speaks of at Eph 1, 2 in the making of two peoples into one, and breaking down the middle wall of partition between them by Faith in the blood of Christ the Lamb of God.

Petro

ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 06:45:11 PM »

Thanks
Ollie

ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2003, 08:21:59 PM »

Isaiah 51:4.  Hearken unto me, my people; and give ear unto me, O my nation: for a law shall proceed from me, and I will make my judgment to rest for a light of the people.
 5.  My righteousness is near; my salvation is gone forth, and mine arms shall judge the people; the isles shall wait upon me, and on mine arm shall they trust.
 6.  Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath: for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment, and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner: but my salvation shall be for ever, and my righteousness shall not be abolished.
 7.  Hearken unto me, ye that know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law;
fear ye not the reproach of men, neither be ye afraid of their revilings.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 08:23:56 PM by ollie » Logged

Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2003, 11:18:20 PM »

Isaiah 51:4.  Hearken unto me, my people; and give ear unto me, O my nation: for a law shall proceed from me, and I will make my judgment to rest for a light of the people.
 5.  My righteousness is near; my salvation is gone forth, and mine arms shall judge the people; the isles shall wait upon me, and on mine arm shall they trust.
 6.  Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath: for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment, and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner: but my salvation shall be for ever, and my righteousness shall not be abolished.
 7.  Hearken unto me, ye that know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law;
fear ye not the reproach of men, neither be ye afraid of their revilings.

ollie,

Rom 10
4  For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
5  For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them.
6  But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:)
7  Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)
8  But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
9  That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Gal 3
6  Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.
7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.
8  And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.
9  So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.

10  For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
11  But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
12  And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.
13  Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
14  That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
15  Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though it be but a man's covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto.
16  Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.
17  And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.
18 For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.
19  Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.
20  Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one.
21  Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
22  But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
23  But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
24  Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

25  But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
26  For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

Verse 12 above;

Keeping any law or comandment is not of faith, according to this verse, and anything as asaph has pointed out;

"whatsoever is not of Faith is Sin"  (Rom 14:23)

We observe the law written in our hearts, not because we think in the end these works of obedience will save us, but because we recognize that our salvation is forever assured  and whether we sin ignorantly or not, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and He is our advocate with the Father, who defends us against the accusations of the evil one, Day and Night at the throne of Grace.

But Isa 51 is an excellent chapter, that points out Gods righteousness which we possess in Christ, which can never be abolished because it is of God and we trust in Him, and not ourselves, nor our works.

Good verse you chose, to point this out.

God Bless,

Petro

Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2003, 07:20:28 PM »

Romans 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2003, 08:47:21 PM »

Romans 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

The written law is abolished.

The Law which is refered to being established at Rom 3:31, is the Law of Faith, not the wrtitten Law which has been fulfilled in Christ.

This was already covered at;

Rom 3
26  To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.
27  Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.
28  Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Petro

Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2003, 09:04:33 PM »

We're not saved by works, but this does not mean we do not perform them still. Fulfilled in Christ means He paid the penalty for our faults and removed the law's destructive ability. But we still have to live in accordance with the moral law, even though the ceremonial law has been removed. Otherwise, what would we know is sin without the law? So we still uphold it. But it never saved us, even in the Old Testament. Works never saved us, either. THe promise goes back to Abraham.

Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2003, 11:38:55 PM »

Rom2
11  For there is no respect of persons with God.
12  For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
13  (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
14  For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
15  Which show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)

1 Jhn 2
2:1  My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
2  And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
3  And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4  He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5  But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
6  He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
7  Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.
8  Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth.
9  He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now.
10  He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.
11  But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes.
12  I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake.
13  I write unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I write unto you, young men, because ye have overcome the wicked one. I write unto you, little children, because ye have known the Father.
14  I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.
15  Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16  For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
17  And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.
18  Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.
19  They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.
20  But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.

I guess , this covers it all; its like it is a mute case; those who obey God's Laws show the work of the Law written in their hearts, they produce good works for God, because they have God living in the hearts and they have the mind of God in them.

And it isn't because they have to do it, it is because they live to do it, willingly. Like second nature.

I am fully convinced God doesn't force His children to honor Him, it is enough for Him, if they abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication:

No more than any Father expecting his children to honor him, Sons and Daughters are free to honor their fathers wishes, but any child who is nutured and cared for and brought up in a loving home will honor his father.

If there are any that claim to be children of God, that do not honor God, this speaks louder than this persons word, and he should examine himself, because iot is clear that one can so deceice himself into believing they are children of God.

According to the apostles, the Holy Spirit confirmed it to them, to lay upon God's people no greater burden than these necessary things to keep themselves from sin;

Acts 15:28-29

This was written knowing that God the Spirit would continue the work begun, in Gods people,  until the day of Jesus Christ

Jesus made it clear when He said;  "If you love me, keep my commandments"

Blessings,

Petro

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the