Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:52:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Who I am in Christ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who I am in Christ?  (Read 20427 times)
musicllover

Seek ye first the kingdom of God.........

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2007, 10:40:08 PM »

Several years ago I had a dear Christian friend pray with me, she explained, that I needed to know who I was in Christ. She was a survivor of childhood sex abuse and had overcome her demons. I am also a survivor and still struggle with the same hurts and fears that I did back then, I've not over come a whole lot and feel frustrated. I have tried I have grown close and then fallen away for a while. I know God is patient but he surely doesn't like a roler coaster ride either. I do not trust myself, I know God can... I trust him but I don't trust myself, he is working with a pretty ugly vessel with me. I know all have fallen short, so I'm not worse or better than the next person.
I am on the road back. I just completed 4 years of college, my therapist felt I needed the confidence that college would give, and I need to add to the finances of this house. My marriage is not the greatest either. I know the Lord opened the doors which allowed me to keep my grades and graduate with high honors. I also know that book knowledge doesn't fill my heart with what it really needs... and that is a relationship with Jesus Christ. The last four years were suppose to give me self confidence but as much as I am excited to be a teacher, I found the last 4 years was a diversion from what I REALLY need too.

My question is this "What does it mean to know who you are in Christ?" Silly maybe, but I struggle with this, lack of trust, not understand what true love is, my past all plays a part in my road to finding Christ the way he wants me too.  What is does it mean?  How does a person go about finding out who they are in Christ. Sure the scriptures tells us many things but it must go from head knowledge to heart knowledge and although most of you can give me direction to the scripture how does a person go about getting it to the inside, and believing it?   

Blessings,
Musicllover
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 08:52:35 PM by musicllover » Logged

musicllover
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 10:57:26 PM »

A little something that may help answer this question.

Who are you in Christ? Who do you say you are? Do you say you’re a loser, defeated, a reject, unwanted? A failure? Who you really are is who God says you are. Who does God say you are? If you have given control of your life to Christ, this is who you are:

* I am a child of God (John 1:12)
    * I have peace with God (Rom.5:1)
    * The Holy Spirit lives in me (1Cor.3:16)
    * I have access to God's wisdom (Jam.1:5)
    * I am helped by God (Heb.4:16)
    * I am reconciled to God (Rom.5:11)
    * I am not condemned by God (Rom.8:1)
    * I am justified (Rom.5:1)
    * I have Christ's righteousness (Romans 5:19; 2 Cor.5:21)
    * I am Christ's ambassador (2Cor.5:20)
    * I am completely forgiven (Col.1:14)
    * I am tenderly loved by God (Jer.31:3)
    * I am the sweet fragrance of Christ to God (2 Cor.2:15)
    * I am a temple in which God dwells (1 Cor.3:16)
    * I am blameless and beyond reproach (Col.1:22)
    * I am the salt of the earth (Matt.5:13)
    * I am the light of the world (Matt.5:14)
    * I am a branch on Christ's vine (John 15:1,5)
    * I am Christ's friend (John 15:5)
    * I am chosen by Christ to bear fruit (John 15:6)
    * I am a joint heir with Christ, sharing his inheritance with him (Rom. 8:17)
    * I am united to the Lord, one spirit with him (1 Cor.6:17)
    * I am a member of Christ's body (1 Cor.12:27)
    * I am a saint (Eph.1:1)
    * I am hidden with Christ in God (Col.3:3)
    * I am chosen by God, holy and dearly loved (Col.3:12)
    * I am a child of the light (1Thess.5:5)
    * I am holy, and I share in God's heavenly calling (Heb.3:1)
    * I am sanctified (Heb.2:11)
    * I am one of God's living stones, being built up in Christ as a spiritual house (1 Pet.2:5)
    * I am a member of a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God's own possession and created to sing his praises (1 Pet.2:9-10)
    * I am firmly rooted and built up in Christ (Col.2:7)
    * I am born of God, and the evil one cannot touch me (1 John 5:18)
    * I have the mind of Christ (1Cor.2:16)
    * I may approach God with boldness, freedom, and confidence (Eph.3:12)
    * I have been rescued from Satan's domain and transferred into the kingdom of Christ (Col.1:13)
    * I have been made complete in Christ (Col.2:10)
    * I have been given a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline (2 Tim.1:7)
    * I have been given great and precious promises by God (2Pet. 1:4)
    * My needs are met by God (Philip.4:19)
    * I am a prince (princess) in God's kingdom (John 1:12; 1 Tim.6:15)
    * I have been bought with a price, and I belong to God (1Cor.6:19,20)
    * I have been adopted as God's child (Eph.1:5)
    * I have direct access to God through the Holy Spirit (Eph.2:18)
    * I am assured that all things are working together for good (Rom.8:28)
    * I am free from any condemning charges against me (Rom.8:31f)
    * I cannot be separated from the love of God (Rom.8:35f)
    * I have been established, anointed, and sealed by God (2Cor.1:21,22)
    * I am confident that the good work that God has begun in me will be perfected (Philip.1:6)
    * I am a citizen of heaven (Philip.3:20)
    * I am a personal witness of Christ's (Acts 1:Cool
    * I am God's coworker (2 Cor.6:1, 1 Cor.3:9)
    * I am seated with Christ in the heavenly realm (Eph.2:6)
    * I am God's workmanship (Eph.2:10)
    * I can do all things through Christ, who gives me the strength I need (Philip.4:13)

The following thread may also help:

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?topic=11745.0

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 11:53:52 PM »

Hello Musicllover,

Some of these might be repeats, but I want to share them:

BECAUSE I AM A CHRISTIAN - Page 1

I am the salt of the earth.

Matthew 5:13 NASB  "You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men.

I am the light of the world.

Matthew 5:14 NASB  "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden;

I am a child of God.

John 1:12 NASB  But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name,

I am Christ's friend.

John 15:15 NASB  "No longer do I call you slaves, for the slave does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I have heard from My Father I have made known to you.

I am God's gift to Christ.

John 17:24 NASB  "Father, I desire that they also, whom You have given Me, be with Me where I am, so that they may see My glory which You have given Me, for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.

I am made right in God's sight by faith.

Romans 5:1 NASB  Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,

I am at peace with God.

Romans 5:1  Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,

I am in the place of highest privilege and joyfully look forward to becoming all that God has in mind for me.

Romans 5:2 NASB  through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God.

I am rejoicing in troubles, for through them God is building me up and making me strong.

Romans 5:3-5 NASB  And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

I am reconciled to God.

Romans 5:10 NASB  For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.

================================See Page 2

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 11:55:08 PM »

BECAUSE I AM A CHRISTIAN - Page 2

I am a receiver of God's grace that far supersedes my worst sin.

Romans 5:20 NASB  The Law came in so that the transgression would increase; but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more,

I am dead to sin and alive to God.

Romans 6:11 NASB  Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

I am a recipient of eternal life through Jesus Christ.

Romans 6:23 NASB  For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I am free of condemnation.

Romans 8:1 NASB  Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

I am free from the vicious cycle of sin and death.

Romans 8:2 NASB  For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.

I am a son of God; God is spiritually my Father.

Romans 8:14-15 NASB  For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, "Abba! Father!"

Galatians 3:26 NASB  For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.

Galatians 4:6 NASB  Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!"

I share in Christ's inheritance.

Romans 8:17 NASB  and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him.

I am protected. Who can ever be against me?

Romans 8:31 NASB  What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us?

I am inseparable from God's love.

Romans 8:35 NASB  Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

===============================See Page 3

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 11:56:15 PM »

BECAUSE I AM A CHRISTIAN - Page 3

I am more than a conqueror through Christ.

Romans 8:37 NASB  But in all these things we overwhelmingly conquer through Him who loved us.

I am God's dwelling place. His Spirit and life dwells in me.

1 Corinthians 3:16 NASB  Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?

1 Corinthians 6:19 NASB  Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?

I am united to the Lord.

1 Corinthians 6:17 NASB  But the one who joins himself to the Lord is one spirit with Him.

I am a member of Christ's Body - the CHURCH WHICH IS THE BODY OF CHRIST.

1 Corinthians 12:27 NASB  Now you are Christ's body, and individually members of it.

Ephesians 5:30 NASB  because we are members of His body.

I am adequate for anything because my adequacy comes from God.

2 Corinthians 3:5 NASB  Not that we are adequate in ourselves to consider anything as coming from ourselves, but our adequacy is from God,

I am a saint.

Ephesians 1:1 NASB  Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, To the saints who are at Ephesus and who are faithful in Christ Jesus:

I am blessed with every spiritual blessing.

Ephesians 1:3 NASB  Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ,

I am forgiven of all my sins.

Ephesians 1:7 NASB  In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace.

I am God's workmanship - His handiwork.

Ephesians 2:10 NASB  For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

==============================See Page 4

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 11:57:32 PM »

BECAUSE I AM A CHRISTIAN - Page 4

I am a fellow citizen with the rest of God's family.

Ephesians 2:19 NASB  So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God's household,

I am righteous and holy in CHRIST. We will be perfected in CHRIST.

Ephesians 4:24 NASB  and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth.

I am a citizen of heaven.

Ephesians 2:6 NASB  and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,

Philippians 3:20 NASB  For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ;

I am strong in the Lord to fight off all of Satan's attacks.

Ephesians 6:10-17 NASB  Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. Stand firm therefore, HAVING GIRDED YOUR LOINS WITH TRUTH, and HAVING PUT ON THE BREASTPLATE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS, and having shod YOUR FEET WITH THE PREPARATION OF THE GOSPEL OF PEACE; in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. And take THE HELMET OF SALVATION, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

I am able to do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Philippians 4:13 NASB  I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

I am filled with God's power that works mightily in me.

Colossians 1:29 NASB  For this purpose also I labor, striving according to His power, which mightily works within me.

I am complete in Christ, filled with God, possessor of everything.

Colossians 2:10 NASB  and in Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority;

I am a son or daughter of light and not of darkness.

1 Thessalonians 5:5 NASB  for you are all sons of light and sons of day. We are not of night nor of darkness;

=============================See Page 5

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 11:59:01 PM »

BECAUSE I AM A CHRISTIAN - Page 5

I am adequate, complete, equipped for every good work.

2 Timothy 3:17 NASB  so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

I am able to come boldly before the throne of grace to find mercy and grace.

Hebrews 4:16 NASB  Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

I am a child of God and I will resemble Christ when He returns.

1 John 3:1-2  See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are. For this reason the world does not know us, because it did not know Him. Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we will be. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is.

I am loved.

Revelation 1:5 NASB  and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth. To Him who loves us and released us from our sins by His blood--

Romans 5:8 NASB  But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

I am victorious.

Revelation 21:7 NASB  "He who overcomes will inherit these things, and I will be his God and he will be My son.

(My Note:  I have adapted part of the above from an unknown author. Please add to this beautiful list of things that we have in CHRIST. NOW: smile - LOOK UP - and always remember to give thanks that you are a child of the KING.)

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 12:41:08 AM »

Hello Musicllover,

I think that it's a must for us to keep things in perspective. All Christians have been wronged in many ways by others in this short life. BUT, this world is no longer our master, and our eternal inheritance isn't of this world.

We have placed our trust and faith in one who has never wronged us or lied to us. JUST THE OPPOSITE - HE loved us enough to take our place and die on the CROSS for us. HIS WORDS are always TRUE, CERTAIN, AND AMEN! Our doubts are in men and the things of this world - NOT HIM! HIS LOVE can't be compared to what people call love in this world. Just a start is HIM dying for us. This is a REAL LOVE that's PURE, CLEAN, HOLY, AND ETERNAL!

We need to make JESUS CHRIST the core and central focus of our lives. HE will never disappoint us, and HE'S gone on before us to prepare a place for us for ETERNITY! It is good that we KNOW this short life is NOT all there is. We are just here for a short period of time, and we MUST KNOW this world IS NOT OUR HOME! We MUST put things in perspective and KNOW that OUR CITIZENSHIP is in HEAVEN - not this world! Our government is NOT IN THIS WORLD! Our government is ETERNAL, PERFECT, HOLY, AND LOVING! Everything here is this short life is temporary. Our REALITY AND HOME IS NOT THIS WORLD.

As Children of the KING OF KINGS, we should know that GOD would like to work in us and through us to help bring others to HIMSELF. Much of our REAL happiness and joy in this short life depends on how much we yield to GOD and do HIS WILL. HIS WILL is always perfect for us, and HIS PATHS do result in JOY. This doesn't hint that this short life will be easy. HIS WORD tells us that this short life will be hard, a fight, and a race. We each have a course that GOD wants us to follow and finish. This is a most reasonable service to HIM, and it should be done with loving hearts of appreciation for what HE has already done for us. We MUST always remember that HE pulled us out of a dark pit of misery when we were bound for the pits of hell. ALL GLORY MUST GO TO HIM! ALL WORSHIP AND PRAISE MUST GO TO HIM! HE commands this, and it is quite reasonable for HIM to make these commands. First, HE is our CREATOR! Second, HE is our SAVIOUR!

Many of our problems start to vanish when we make JESUS CHRIST OUR "ALL IN ALL". We should already know many things about HIM:

1 - Men lie, but GOD doesn't.

2 - Men can't be trusted, but GOD can.

3 - Men are weak and known for frequent failures. GOD is the exact opposite.

In short, even the things in this short life can be MUCH BETTER for Children of the KING OF KINGS! HE didn't promise us that this short life would be easy, rather the opposite. BUT, HE made many promises for ETERNITY that will be kept most perfectly. We belong to HIM now, and we MUST remember that this short life is like a visit to a foreign land that isn't our home. WE ARE GOING HOME ONE DAY!

Love In Christ,
Tom

ibTina
Gold Member

Keep your eyes on JESUS!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 08:36:41 PM »

Who are you in Christ? Who do you say you are? Do you say you’re a loser, defeated, a reject, unwanted? A failure? Who you really are is who God says you are. Who does God say you are? If you have given control of your life to Christ, this is who you are:

* I am one of God's living stones, being built up in Christ as a spiritual house (1 Pet.2:5)
    * I am a member of a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God's own possession and created to sing his praises (1 Pet.2:9-10)
    * I have been rescued from Satan's domain and transferred into the kingdom of Christ (Col.1:13)
    * I am confident that the good work that God has begun in me will be perfected (Philip.1:6)
    * I can do all things through Christ, who gives me the strength I need (Philip.4:13)

WOW ... Pastor Roger... this was great.  Copying and pasteing.

musicllover

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 12:48:41 AM »

Pastor Rogers,
                  Thanks for the Scriptures, right now I must think about how to respond.  I seem to have a hard time putting it all into words. I guess right now its something that I need to pray about. There is something going on inside of me, it simply makes me want to scream with frustration, because I know what the Scriptures say. 
I will continue to seek his will, and use the scriptures you have so generously given me. If you think about it pray that God can take away what he wants and put in what he needs as I go through this..., this  Huh what ever this is. There is much I must weed through to work this out. 

musicllover
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 12:56:24 AM »

Yes, sister I will be praying for you.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 11:46:24 AM »

musiclover

Let me first state that I will be praying for you.

There is much I must weed through to work this out.
Let me also state that there is nothing in which "you" must weed through....there may be much that you and Jesus must weed through....cause if you go at with just an "I" in mind then you will fail.  But if you go at it with "we" in mind then you are bound to succeed.  There is but one thing in which we Christians should do with an "I" mentality...and that is go into prayer Smiley

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 12:04:35 PM »

There is but one thing in which we Christians should do with an "I" mentality...and that is go into prayer Smiley

AMEN!

musicllover

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 06:20:16 PM »

musiclover

Let me first state that I will be praying for you.
Let me also state that there is nothing in which "you" must weed through....there may be much that you and Jesus must weed through....cause if you go at with just an "I" in mind then you will fail.  But if you go at it with "we" in mind then you are bound to succeed.  There is but one thing in which we Christians should do with an "I" mentality...and that is go into prayer Smiley

Brother Jerry,
                You are absolutely right, never would I try to pray through this with out the leading of the Holy Spirit. I am finding it is one thing to know the scriptures that are written on paper and being able to apply them to myself. I believe this is something I have lacked for as long as I have been a Christian, going through the motions, attending every meeting, praying and reading, I have longed for, cried for and have had a heart felt desire to draw closer to Jesus, and I was never able to break through this unseen wall, it seems what I desire is only a stones throw away, so close but tearfully so far away.  I want victory, I want to know what it is to have a deeper relationship with Jesus after I faced the abuse. I want a relationship that has all my past exposed, the truth and not hidden or forgotten. So I am finding it very difficult to put into words and very hard to explain.  I'm not sure how to wrap my past around a forgiving God, part of this is forgiving my abusers, which I work on in bits and pieces every day, I suppose I will for the rest of my life. But now how do I take the ugly of the past and intermingle it with who I am suppose to be in Christ. Does this make sense? I have read the word, I know David did wrong things and was forgiven, Paul killed.... and on the list goes but each found forgiveness, and I want that too. I am just needing to work through this, and as much as I hate my past abuse I know it is part of who I am today, and it can be used by God to bring him glory. It is trying to figure out how all this comes into who I am in Christ, and just what am I suppose to do with it. I was called to a music ministry several years ago, like the parable of the talents I want to use this gift to glorify God. I want to walk in my calling, and not sure how this all comes together. I need so many things I DO NOT want to use God like a genie in a bottle either. I commit this to him.

musicllover
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 08:22:01 PM »

Everyone has posted some wonderful Scriptures and thoughts.

To know who we are in Christ is to simply know that we are righteous and accepted by God through Christ.  We do not need to do anything to gain God's love and acceptance.  (This was taught when I was at Bible college.)

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the