Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:34:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Appointed & Anointed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Appointed & Anointed  (Read 1195 times)
holypursuit

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2007, 01:07:38 PM »

Read: Exd. 18: 1-24;Numbers 11: 1-17                Appointed & Anointed           

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.Matt.11:28

Moses had become the one to whom everyone came for advise and counsel. Moses` father in law had seen this as a problem and had advised Moses to elect others who could help him. Moses obeyed the counsel of his father in law and seventy elders were appointed over groups of people. However, the problem was not solved.  As days went by Moses became increasingly overwhelmed by the responsibility that remained on him .God had a better solution. He instructed Moses to bring the seventy elders and assemble them at the tabernacle. God said, “And I will come down and talk with thee there: and I will take of the spirit which is upon thee, and will put it upon them; and they shall bear the burden of the people with thee, that thou bear it not thyself alone.” Num.11: 17

Those whom God appoints He also anoints. When Moses appointed the elders, following his father in laws advice, he chose able men, however they were not anointed for service. When God anointed them by placing His Spirit on them they were equipped to serve efficiently. Moses could now depend on them for help. The Apostles followed this same principle in their serving of the Lord. They delegated responsibility to others. They understood that when each did their part the work for the Lord would be efficiently accomplished. “Then the twelve called the multitude of the disciples unto them, and said, It is not reason that we should leave the word of God, and serve tables.Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business.But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word.” Acts 6:2 We read that when the men were chosen the Apostles prayed and laid hands on them and they were anointed for service.

When we attempt to do everything by ourselves we suffer and others suffer. Such continued action could lead to pride and exalting of oneself. It will lead people to seek us out more than they would seek God. In other words we could be in danger of taking God’s place in people’s lives. When people get overburdened with doing the ‘Lord’s work’ the family also suffers. We do not know why Moses had sent away his wife and his sons, but could it have been because his responsibilities to others had become so great? (Ex.18:2) When Jethro brought them back to Moses he could see what was happening .He said to Moses, “The thing that thou doest is not good.Thou wilt surely wear away, both thou, and this people that is with thee: for this thing is too heavy for thee; thou art not able to perform it thyself alone.”Exd.18:18

God has arranged the Body of Christ in such a way that no one person is responsible over everything. There is only One Head and that is Jesus Christ and One Body which is made up of equal members. We are all needed in the Body of Christ and each member has an unique role to play. Paul the Apostle likens the working of the Body of Christ as that of our physical body. “For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office. So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us…”Rom 12:4-6

God never intends for us to become overburdened in serving Him. If we are feeling the weight of responsibility weigh us down, it is possible we have assumed responsibilities which are not meant for us. We need to let go off those things. When we strive to serve the Lord we end up restless and unfulfilled. Jesus advises us in this way,“Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matt. 11:8,9   A person who is overburdened will lose their joy and their rest. God’s intention for us is to serve Him with gladness! With the Holy Spirit’s help we can do this. Praise God!

"Thou hast delivered me from the strivings of the people”
 Ps.18:43
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the