Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 05:37:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286811 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Politics and Political Issues (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  YMCA under fire for taking kids to abortion clinic
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: YMCA under fire for taking kids to abortion clinic  (Read 925 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2007, 05:34:50 PM »

YMCA under fire for taking kids to abortion clinic

The city school board ordered an investigation into an after-school program run by the YMCA in which some middle school students were taken to visit a Planned Parenthood clinic.

New Hampshire Right to Life is now asking for equal time with the seventh and eighth grade students, as well.

The visit was part of the YMCA's STAY program, for students considered at risk of dropping out of school, abusing drugs or getting into trouble with the law. The trip, a week ago, was part of a tour of several social service agencies in the city, to show the students where they could go for support and recreation during the summer.

The school board voted Tuesday to investigate how the decision to visit Planned Parenthood was made and determine whether anyone should be disciplined.

Planned Parenthood officials claim the educator who met with the students briefly listed the preventive health services the clinic offers - annual exams and PAP smears, testing for sexually transmitted diseases, birth control and pregnancy counseling - and never mentioned abortion.

Half a dozen pro-life demonstrators outside the clinic confronted the students, though.

"Ironically, it was the protesters who raised the abortion issue as they clustered around the students, thrusting brochures at them," claimed Nancy Mosher, president of Planned Parenthood of Northern New England.

But Darlene Pawlik, president of New Hampshire Right to Life, said abortion was obviously at issue in the students' visit.

"Everybody knows Planned Parenthood performs abortions," she said. "There were protesters outside with signs saying 'Babies killed here.' There's no mistaking that (the students) have already been exposed to the issue."

Schools Superintendent Michael Ludwell said he would need to see a formal, written request from New Hampshire Right to Life before deciding whether a representative would meet with the students.

Ludwell said he hoped to finish an internal investigation by the end of the week and meet with the YMCA president to draw up new program guidelines, but overall he defended the STAY program.

"We have had a very long and, prior to this incident, a very positive relationship," he said.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Faithin1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 11:36:22 PM »

Did I miss something, but isn't YMCA the acronym for Young Men's 'Christian' Association?  Why is a Christian organization exposing children to an organization such as Planned Parenthood? 

Heb. 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 12:12:06 AM »

Did I miss something, but isn't YMCA the acronym for Young Men's 'Christian' Association?  Why is a Christian organization exposing children to an organization such as Planned Parenthood? 

Hello Faithin1,

Sister, I understand that the YMCA in some places is not like the YMCA we knew about 50 years ago. Some of them suffer from decisions of their local boards and directors. Some of the decisions might be out of ignorance in some places and on purpose in others. One would have to take a hard look at the track record of that specific YMCA to know.

Love In Christ,
Tom

John 17:11 NASB  "I am no longer in the world; and yet they themselves are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep them in Your name, the name which You have given Me, that they may be one even as We are.

Tolorah

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 06:56:06 AM »

I actually work at a YMCA in Australia and i have to agree with what BEP has said. Many decisions that we also make have a lot to do with what the society/community tells us to do. The YMCA in a not for profit organisation therefore it must support what the community wants really sometimes rather then what it used to stand for...society has changed from what it used to be when the organisation started therefore i guess it has had to change...now i think it might just be in a rather political jam which ever side it chooses.

A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 08:54:47 AM »

Yes the "C" stands for Christian. Their mission from their main web page:

YMCA Mission:

To put Christian Principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.

The following is from their "About Us" web page:

YMCA stands for Young Men's Christian Association, but don't misinterpret this to mean that YMCAs are only for "young, Christian men." From its start more than 150 years ago, when George Williams founded the YMCA as a substitute Bible study and prayer for life on the streets, the YMCA was unusual because it crossed the rigid lines that separated all the different churches and social classes in England in those days. This openness was a trait that would lead YMCAs to recognize their strength is in the people they bring together -- Ys are for all people of all faiths, races, ages, abilities and incomes. YMCAs' financial assistance policies ensure that no one is turned away for reasons of inability to pay.

It's easy to see the contradictions in these statements. This is no different than many churches that are compromising God's principles for the sake of money. Bible study and prayer are taking a back seat in this institution and in many has been eliminated all in the name of money and "tolerance".

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the