Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:16:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Books (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Andrew Murray
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Andrew Murray  (Read 4086 times)
Maryjane

View Profile
« on: June 09, 2007, 01:51:41 AM »

Has anyone ever read...The Power of the Blood of Jesus and Absolute Surrender by Andrew Murray?...These are my favorite books...I know there are so many out...but if you ever get the chance...read these books...especially if you are a new christian...
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 09:34:57 AM »

Yes, I have. It has been quite some time ago. Andrew Murray has many great books that he has written and most of them can be found as an e-book on the internet for free. They are some pretty good books for reading.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 09:47:40 AM »

I am so glad to know this...Thank you Pastor...

THANK GOD FOR ANOTHER DAY TO PRAISE HIS NAME
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 08:58:50 PM »

I haven't read those two books (might look for them at the library in downtown), but I do like Andrew Murray.  I still have his "Let Us Draw Nigh" which I got in the 1970s.

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 10:06:24 AM »

Hi..Debp

I love the works of Andrew Murray and Charles Spurgeon...I also think the books by Watchman Nee are great...The lirary is a great plce to find old books and these are old books...Absolute Surrrender is precious to me...this book and The Power of the Blood of Jesus, I recommend to new christians....
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 11:03:16 AM »

Debp,

Did you know that Watchman Nee received much of his Christian teaching from T. Austin Sparks? He translated most all of Sparks books into Chinese. T. Austin Sparks books can be read here on the forum in a thread that Dreamweaver has posted just below this thread.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 06:22:57 PM »

Yes...I know...and was not aware of the Austin Sparks post...Watchman Nee began to write at the age of 17...he was imprisioned for the cause of Christ...even so...he carried on...I remember his quote.."In my sickness I remain joyful in heart..."

He also studied the works of Andrew Murray...re: Spirit
Along with Sparks..J.G. BelletA.B. Simpson others re: Christ
John Bunyon, Madam GuyonHudson Taylor...so many others...who wrote about the christian life...I am amazed every time I read the books from these authors..
I am so glad there are post from these great authors that encourage us..for there is nothing new under the sun and it is the testimonies of these saints who have gone before us that encourage those left behind to carry on...for the prize is before us and ever near each passing day...

Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 07:22:10 PM »

Hi..Debp

I love the works of Andrew Murray and Charles Spurgeon...I also think the books by Watchman Nee are great...The lirary is a great plce to find old books and these are old books...Absolute Surrrender is precious to me...this book and The Power of the Blood of Jesus, I recommend to new christians....

Yes, I also like C.H. Spurgeon....have his Morning and Evening Devotional.  I used to have Spurgeon's Gleanings Among the Sheaves but lent it out several years ago and the person never returned it.  I might look for that one at the library.

I also read Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret in the 1970s....I recommend it as well to newer Christians.

I never read Watchman Nee but have heard of him.

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 07:26:32 PM »

Debp,

Did you know that Watchman Nee received much of his Christian teaching from T. Austin Sparks? He translated most all of Sparks books into Chinese. T. Austin Sparks books can be read here on the forum in a thread that Dreamweaver has posted just below this thread.

Thanks, Pastor Roger, I'll check it out.  Usually, I like to read the books as I don't like to spend too much time on the computer.  I check the computer at my neighbor's in return for taking care of her cat....my mom is not too well so I don't like to leave her alone for too long.  (She gets lonely.)

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 08:28:36 PM »

Brothers and Sisters,

If you don't have a lot of money, there are several sources that I highly recommend. For a huge and free variety of just about all kinds of old works, Project Gutenberg is excellent. Everything is free and comes in a plain text format. You can read them in any plain text editor, but I recommend any number of completely free Readers that are specifically designed for e-text books.

For Massive Free Book Repository
http://www.gutenberg.net/

Just for information, Y-Book is an excellent example of a completely free Reader that makes the e-Text books seem more like real books. The nice thing about Y-Book and other freeware readers like it is that you can have numerous settings to your liking (i.e. fonts, sizes, page configurations, paper color and texture, pages side by side, pages to be turned, etc.)

For Y-Book Reader
http://www.spacejock.com/

By the way, there are no strings attached at all to the use of the free books and readers. Project Gutenberg is known for probably the largest collection of free books for download in the world. The total count is way up in the thousands. Please be forewarned that Project Gutenberg also has older books that are not appropriate for Christian or family use. In using Project Gutenberg, it is best to search by category and  author to avoid any results that might not be appropriate for Christian family use. The vast majority of the books are probably in excess of 100 years old, and most of them have been out of copyright for many years.

For all Christian materials, I highly recommend the e-Sword Bible Study Package. See the link below in my signature area. e-Sword is extremely high quality and is also free with no strings attached. There are absolutely huge libraries of outstanding Christian materials that are made specifically for use in e-Sword, and they are also free. I must add that some of the best Bible study aids are very old and have been out of print for many years. If you could still buy them in book form, they would cost an arm and a leg. There are completely free materials by most of the authors mentioned in this thread available for e-Sword. I have a variety of books and sermons from nearly all of them, and they were completely free. We have a thread on the forum under "Computers and Software" that has quite a few details for e-Sword. However, it only has a tiny sampling of what's available and free for e-Sword.

Brothers and Sisters, I've had several commercial Bible Study Programs, and I honestly like the FREE e-Sword program the best. I must add that many commercial Bible Study Programs sell add-ons that should be free. I have no idea how they get away with charging people money for what IS FREE, and they got it FREE. In my opinion, this is dishonest. It would be like me copying the free sermons available on Christians Unite and trying to sell them. By the way, Christians Unite does have an excellent selection of completely free Christian materials that are appropriate for everyone in the family. Please take a look at ChristiansUnite KIDS for a lot of excellent material for your children. Look in the menu on the left side of your screen for many other kinds of free Christian materials.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Galatians 6:9-10  NASB  Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith.

Joey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 01:23:08 PM »

Yes...I know...and was not aware of the Austin Sparks post...Watchman Nee began to write at the age of 17...he was imprisioned for the cause of Christ...even so...he carried on...I remember his quote.."In my sickness I remain joyful in heart..."

He also studied the works of Andrew Murray...re: Spirit
Along with Sparks..J.G. BelletA.B. Simpson others re: Christ
John Bunyon, Madam GuyonHudson Taylor...so many others...who wrote about the christian life...I am amazed every time I read the books from these authors..
I am so glad there are post from these great authors that encourage us..for there is nothing new under the sun and it is the testimonies of these saints who have gone before us that encourage those left behind to carry on...for the prize is before us and ever near each passing day...

Watchman Nee wrote one of my favorite Christian books, "The Normal Christian Life" and if anyone hasn't read it, i would really recommend it. And you do not even have to buy it. It's here as an e-book and free of charge

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/nee/normal.titlepage.html
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 06:59:08 PM »

Thanks for the site.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the