Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:21:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Where Have All The Children Gone?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where Have All The Children Gone?  (Read 2884 times)
islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2007, 02:12:38 PM »

The Church where I go is attended by mostly elderly people. We have less than five children that attend Church with their parents. Like-wise this is happening in many of the surrounding churches. We are having Vacation Bible School, and we are praying for attendance of children from the community. Has the abortion rate been apart of this?  The over use of birth control pills?  Has  having a career become more important then having children? While one could blame it all on young adults who have grown up and moved to another city, except that many new people move into towns such as this everyday.
So what's your thoughts  on the subject?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 10:58:08 AM by islandboy » Logged

Be not weary in your serving; Do your best for those in need; Kindness will be rewarded by the Lord who prompts the deed.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 02:25:22 PM »

Many things are to blame, not just one or two. We are putting the things of the world as being more important than children even those that already have children. Those that have children frequently allow them to go their own way. To have others teaching them the things of the world instead of the ways of the Lord.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Greg F

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 08:44:21 PM »

I know that a lot of the "mainline" denominations are not bringing in new members, losing old ones, and "graying."  I've read about it, not seen it, other than the church of my wife's grandmother, which was one of the Presbyterian USA churches that is shrinking.  It's a difficult situation with a shrinking church with older members, because if a young family finds Christ and Dad or Mom is on fire for God, they can get overburdened with responsibilities in the Church, since there are so few new and young members. I've known new members that suddenly were deacons, groundskeepers, and running a youth ministry . . .too much for a volunteer with other family responsibilities and no paycheck from the congregation.  It can drive away new members.

In South Florida, where I live, there a lot of vibrant churches with young families.  Spanish River Church in Boca Raton(Presbyterian Church in America) gains a lot of members through a good "Mommy and Me" program that women invite their friends to.  Calvary Baptist is a large church with an entertaining and charismatic set of preachers, that has a lot of young people.  First Baptist in Ft. Lauderdale has an amazing Christmas pageant, over a thousand people actually act in it, and they have a big chunk of the pageant with young people flooding the Church (designed specifically as a theater/church just for the annual pageant) last year I think the hundreds of young people were the triumphal parade as Christ enters Jerusalem.  Really a cool show if any of you are South Floridians that haven't seen it.

I strongly believe we all, secular and Christian, are tending to marry too late in this culture . . . but young versus old congregations is church by church.  We'll all be young and vibrant together one day in a new and better world . . .
Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 01:41:01 AM »

Hi...

My heart really went out to this subject...parents of children in this age have been teaching their children "self"..to excel to compete..to be better educated...childhood is stolen from children.  Children dress like 30 yr old adults...Parents are ruled by the desires of their children...The school system is where the trust is in children to believe that 'religion' is what they make of it..to This is what we are as christians face in this world today and the world will not get better and we have  to depend on the Holy Spirit within us to direct us into bringing these children to the knowledge of what is truth..It depends on our individul walk with the Lord and it all comes down to prayer and to act on our prays as the Spirit moves..Even th adult children are like the children..full of false doctrines that please them and living in a morality thinking just being 'good' is enough...Even the Homosexuals believe they are christians and have taught thier children it is okay and they are accepted as being christian. If htere was ever a time to preach repentance the time is now...

Sincerely...
Maryjane
Greg F

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 10:20:06 PM »

Good Cub, Boy and Girl Scout programs also seem to attract families . . .
angel

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 09:10:19 PM »

i uesd to be in the girld brigade as a child and then as a adult i went back as a helper.  i saw many children that didnt go to church as it was not "suitable" for them. many talked to the adults and the children just didnt understand what the minister was talking about. even family services ere not always tailored to suit the childrens understanding.

i am a young person and i respect the church but if we are going to bring in the young then we have to cater to their needs as well as the older generations/members.

going back some years history makes the church to be the centre of the villge, it was a place to meet friends and be happy, now in many cases it is a place to go on a sunday and once there many sit and be quiet until it is time to sing or prey, instead we should be praising the lord, celebrating his love and lifting up our hearts with gladness in song.  if we want to sit and shout hallujah and god praises  we should be alowed to, if we want to dance then we shouldnt be stopped because it is what our happiness and love  for the lord does to us.  many young feel judged by the older members of churches  and i find that sad.  i know a baptist minister in the states who has the attitude that he would rather have people shouting out praises during his sermons and dancing to the singing  than siting in chairs silent as that way he knows they truely have the lord in their hearts.

look in your heart and know that the lord is always with you
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 11:29:35 PM »

Hello Angel,

You might have to look, but I think there are still many churches with comprehensive programs for people of all ages and people with varying maturity levels in Bible Study. Most of the churches I know about still have Sunday School, Bible classes for children in specific age groups, and various levels of Bible study for adults. They have individual classrooms for the various age levels, and the material is carefully selected for them to understand. This is over and above the main Sunday service and one or more advanced Bible classes being offered various times each week. This approach does satisfy the needs of many different people, and there's really no suitable reason why it isn't done by all churches. It is more work and more people have to be involved, but this isn't an excuse not to do it.

Things do change in neighborhoods near churches. As an example, many people walked to church when I was a child, and the neighborhood surrounding the church was full of children. All it took was a tiny percentage of the neighborhood walking to church, and the church was full in all age groups. However, those children grew up, many left, and their parents grew old and/or ill. The neighborhood "demographics" changed and so did the primary methods that people came to church. They started coming from greater distances in cars, but the little church is still full. The only other choice was the little church moving to a "young" neighborhood full of children again. They chose to stay where they were and provide transportation to children wanting to come to church with or without their parents. Lots of relatively easy things can solve all kinds of problems, but all of them require effort, time, and volunteers. Sadly, too many people these days want others to do the volunteering. Things have definitely changed over the last 50 years in terms of how many people are willing to volunteer to do anything. There used to be more volunteers than they could use 50 years ago in all areas, but the volunteers are pretty sparse in many places now. There are all kinds of excuses to avoid volunteer work of any kind, including church.

Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 02:12:30 AM »

I have heard many in the church of different denomination express that evangelism is not their gift....It is not a gift but a command to go out and spread the gospel..to disciple..Large churches offer many programs that are good but it is not programs that should be the main focus...and it is sad...but churches look for like people who will fit a certain mold...and it is the undesireable that is not reached...I love to what the world deems undesirable to hear the gospel and watchtheir lives change it is amazing when those who are members of the congregation take under their wing those who are new christians and disciple them...It is how a church grows...One reaching one and that one reaching one...There is going to be a decline in many of the churches that preach the word and do not focus so much on programs...churches who refuse to compromise the word of God...The christians are here and we have work to do...and the work does not stop until the day we see the Lord...We cannot be discouraged but bold...bold enough to go out..ther are many who have never heard the gospel due to confusion...those that have not have never been in a church since this world has become self-sufficient and many are finding out they cannot do it and the rise in suicide is high..Children who are at home alone everyday due to parents having to work and often these children left on their own reach teen years and juvenile court...Our church was small and as an Awana Commander, each chilkd that came that did not have a church, we went to visit the family the following Saturday..got to know the parents and their needs...I remember my pastor sitting on a glass of liquer that he did not see and it so convictred the youn man that he came to church and is there today...It became a joy to go out into the nieghborhood not to preach at them but to know them and through that we could present the gospel..the gospel is not only the way we spread it...but the way we live it that draws people...They are drawn to the love of God that radiates through a christian..It is Christ in us that draws us to the lost and draws the lost to us..Jerry Williams wrote a song called...We Got to Believe..and in that song...he says.. While christians are sitting talking of heaven and when they will go...The world and it's people move faster and deeper to a living death below..Lord..Send us to the world...
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 03:01:12 AM »

Hello Maryjane,

Sister, I have mixed emotions about large churches these days. The first thing I want to know is how they got large and if they compromised with the world to grow. I know this is an overly general statement that doesn't apply to many large churches, but I wanted to express this reservation anyway.

You made some great points in your post that I agree with 10000%. The question about whose job is it to share JESUS CHRIST and the CROSS is one that we must all answer. I firmly believe this job belongs to all of us, especially as GOD provides opportunities to us. I realize that there are other things to consider, like inexperience, but NOT ONE of us can ignore this responsibility. If we don't have the experience, we can take them to someone who does. Or, it might be a spur of the moment type situation where there is only one opportunity - right then. If so, we can pray that GOD will help us, and HE will.

The answer for what our churches should be doing is in prayer, more prayer, and doing GOD'S Will. The goals should be GOD'S Goals, and that might not be having a huge or fancy church. Regardless, GOD'S Way will be the best for each church, and some churches obviously have different missions (i.e. homeless, hungry, street people, etc., etc.). The little church or mission might have been formed in the first place because of GOD'S Specific will. AND, we know that GOD sends workers to places other than churches that also have specific needs (i.e. jails, rest homes, hospitals, etc.). GOD has more work than can be done by the number of volunteers. As a result, there are many needs left unfilled. Each assembly of Christians can pray about what GOD wants them to do, and it really doesn't matter if they have a church or meet under a tree. Our ultimate responsibility will always be to share JESUS CHRIST and the CROSS.

Love In Christ,
Tom

angel

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 08:57:27 AM »

Hello Angel,

You might have to look, but I think there are still many churches with comprehensive programs for people of all ages and people with varying maturity levels in Bible Study. Most of the churches I know about still have Sunday School, Bible classes for children in specific age groups, and various levels of Bible study for adults. They have individual classrooms for the various age levels, and the material is carefully selected for them to understand. This is over and above the main Sunday service and one or more advanced Bible classes being offered various times each week. This approach does satisfy the needs of many different people, and there's really no suitable reason why it isn't done by all churches. It is more work and more people have to be involved, but this isn't an excuse not to do it.

Things do change in neighborhoods near churches. As an example, many people walked to church when I was a child, and the neighborhood surrounding the church was full of children. All it took was a tiny percentage of the neighborhood walking to church, and the church was full in all age groups. However, those children grew up, many left, and their parents grew old and/or ill. The neighborhood "demographics" changed and so did the primary methods that people came to church. They started coming from greater distances in cars, but the little church is still full. The only other choice was the little church moving to a "young" neighborhood full of children again. They chose to stay where they were and provide transportation to children wanting to come to church with or without their parents. Lots of relatively easy things can solve all kinds of problems, but all of them require effort, time, and volunteers. Sadly, too many people these days want others to do the volunteering. Things have definitely changed over the last 50 years in terms of how many people are willing to volunteer to do anything. There used to be more volunteers than they could use 50 years ago in all areas, but the volunteers are pretty sparse in many places now. There are all kinds of excuses to avoid volunteer work of any kind, including church.

the church near to me is always half empty.  dont get me wrong the area i live in i full of children but the church does not cater for them. i dont mean to sound nasty so if this comes across like that then i apologise in advance.

the minister of our local church is an elderly gentleman who cannot communicate with the children.  those that do attend which are 2 do so and have to sit through a  adult service as there is no sunday school for them to attend as they have no-one to run it.  they have no childrens clubs like grils brigade and boys brigade like i went to when i was young, in fact if the chuch would let me i would run the girls brigade or a youth group for the church to help bing in the  young and halp cater for them but the chuch refuses to change.  this saddens me so so much. i would love to show how great our lord is to the young but without the churches help it is hard to do.  how can we spread the word that our lord loves little children if our own church is not willing to help or move with the times?

Jon-Marc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 08:58:58 AM »

I think the problem is that younger adults with children aren't interested in the Lord any more. They have other things to catch their interest. Without them their children don't consider learning about Jesus important. Children and teens are too busy with what they want to do to bother with "religion". It just doesn't seem relevant to them.

Secure in Christ--Holy Spirit in me.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 09:47:58 AM »

I think the problem is that younger adults with children aren't interested in the Lord any more. They have other things to catch their interest. Without them their children don't consider learning about Jesus important. Children and teens are too busy with what they want to do to bother with "religion". It just doesn't seem relevant to them.

I agree completely.

The problem goes far beyond just the churches. Parents allow their children to be taught by those that are opposed to God and churches. Our children have been indoctrinated in this manner by public schools for many, many years and now many of those are adults having children and they are adding to this problem by not having their children in a church at all. They are taught to disregard the teachings of the Bible and that their version of science is true and factual and the Bible is wrong. They are being taught that sin is not sin. Without the proper understanding of sin or life there is no conviction and there is no need for them to go to church. We are indeed witnessing the great falling away.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
angel

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 10:14:22 AM »

I agree completely.

The problem goes far beyond just the churches. Parents allow their children to be taught by those that are opposed to God and churches. Our children have been indoctrinated in this manner by public schools for many, many years and now many of those are adults having children and they are adding to this problem by not having their children in a church at all. They are taught to disregard the teachings of the Bible and that their version of science is true and factual and the Bible is wrong. They are being taught that sin is not sin. Without the proper understanding of sin or life there is no conviction and there is no need for them to go to church. We are indeed witnessing the great falling away.

oh hang on now

i was at a school that was a church of england school and then later a very strict girls school. i was at a public school.  they were very strict when it came to religion and my boys school is the same. 

not once have i seen a school teach the pupils to disregard the bible or listen to science only.  instead i ahve ehard them tech that we should have our minds open and decide for ourselves

if the problem is the teaching then why doesnt more churches cater for young children? why dont they encourage activities for them during the week so they cam meet in a place of safety?  like i said my local church is one such example where we have no sunday school for children, no week activities for children!  if there is nothing for the children then how can we expect them to attend?  would you attend something that you didnt like or didnt cater for you? i know i wouldnt!

parents have to do what thay are told when it comes to education but they have a choice about what church to attend and who would send their child to church if they knew the church did not cater for them?  i certainly wouldnt.  i would expect my children to be catered for as children as youth is so precious

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 10:45:26 AM »

I cannot speak for the schools in the UK as I am not personally familiar with them. All I can say is what the news tells me and we both know how the news can be biased. As for schools in the U.S. I can personally attest to the fact that the large majority of them push evolution as a fact not a theory thereby calling God a liar, they push free sex and abortion, they do not allow the viewpoints of God (unless it is allah), their teachings are totally humanistic and against God. The textbooks even remove any mention of God even in an historical viewpoint of how God had to do with the founding of this nation.

Yes, there may be churches that are failing to do their part also but it is parents that allow their children to be exposed to the humanistic viewpoints that is ultimately the cause. The Bible tells us that it is the parents responsibility to insure that children are brought up in the ways of the Lord, not in worldly ways. It is the parents that will be held accountable by God.

angel

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 11:11:15 AM »

I cannot speak for the schools in the UK as I am not personally familiar with them. All I can say is what the news tells me and we both know how the news can be biased. As for schools in the U.S. I can personally attest to the fact that the large majority of them push evolution as a fact not a theory thereby calling God a liar, they push free sex and abortion, they do not allow the viewpoints of God (unless it is allah), their teachings are totally humanistic and against God. The textbooks even remove any mention of God even in an historical viewpoint of how God had to do with the founding of this nation.

Yes, there may be churches that are failing to do their part also but it is parents that allow their children to be exposed to the humanistic viewpoints that is ultimately the cause. The Bible tells us that it is the parents responsibility to insure that children are brought up in the ways of the Lord, not in worldly ways. It is the parents that will be held accountable by God.

as a parent myself i have to say it is hard to bring your child up in the ways of the lord when you have the ones you should be able to turn to not helping you.  doesnt the lord say come to me you children?   then why doesnt the church cater here for the young more than thy do?

if they did then we would see families returning to church.  i know of 12 familes here that used to go to church but as soon as the church stopped catering for children they left and stay at home now on a sunday.  we do meet and have worship together at friends houses but only as we can cater for the children.

me i wish i could discuss this further but i have to go to work, and ironically i work with handicapped children and young adults.

jo

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the