Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:28:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Another great extension by FireFox
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another great extension by FireFox  (Read 8579 times)
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« on: June 01, 2007, 05:08:58 AM »

It is called Adblock plus or ABP it works great. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

It will ask you to subscribe, but you don't pay anything. Basically what you are doing is picking your language. 

Describtion from the page........

Ever been annoyed by all those ads and banners on the internet that often take longer to download than everything else on the page? Install Adblock Plus now and get rid of them.

Right-click on a banner and choose "Adblock" from the context menu - the banner won't be downloaded again. Maybe even replace parts of the banner address with star symbols to block similar banners as well. Or you select a filter subscription when Adblock Plus starts up the first time, then even this simple task will usually be unnecessary: the filter subscription will block most advertisements fully automatically.

Related extensions:
* Element Hiding Helper - http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4364
* Filter Uploader - http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4042

Works with:

* Firefox Firefox: 1.5 – 3.0a5

Download page, AdBlock plus

I give this a 5 smilie rating. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

I've been using it for a few days, and like it............ Grin

Pizza_Mahal

First earth suck.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 12:52:33 AM »

I had that, ever since I install Firefox 2. I think everyone had one. Because ABP is under Top ten(I think).

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 12:55:33 AM »

It works great for those of us, under dial-up.

Pizza_Mahal

First earth suck.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 01:06:22 AM »

Amen! That a fact!

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 11:52:51 PM »

It is called Adblock plus or ABP it works great. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

It will ask you to subscribe, but you don't pay anything. Basically what you are doing is picking your language. 

Describtion from the page........

Ever been annoyed by all those ads and banners on the internet that often take longer to download than everything else on the page? Install Adblock Plus now and get rid of them.

Right-click on a banner and choose "Adblock" from the context menu - the banner won't be downloaded again. Maybe even replace parts of the banner address with star symbols to block similar banners as well. Or you select a filter subscription when Adblock Plus starts up the first time, then even this simple task will usually be unnecessary: the filter subscription will block most advertisements fully automatically.

Related extensions:
* Element Hiding Helper - http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4364
* Filter Uploader - http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4042

Works with:

* Firefox Firefox: 1.5 – 3.0a5

Download page, AdBlock plus

I give this a 5 smilie rating. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

I've been using it for a few days, and like it............ Grin

I've been using the ABP for some time now and have really liked it. I was using FiltersetG with it and I didn't like that. It really slowed down my browser. I tried the ones that you have listed and they were ok. I saw a new set  of Filter Subscriptions called EasyList Filter. This three set of filters come highly recommended by ABP as being the most compatible with them.

There is Easylist which is the main add blocking subscription. Then there is EasyElement which is the secondary subscription for removing text ads & leftover spaces" and ABP Tracking Filter "the optional subscription for stats & analysis blocking".

Since adding these three to ABP my browser has been a whole lot faster and all those annoying flash adds are gone that was getting missed by the others.

Another great free add-on for Firefox.

http://easylist.adblockplus.org/

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 02:29:31 AM »

YES - This one is a winner.

I'm using Adblock Plus, the Element add-on, and the Easy List subscription. I've been using it quite some time now. In fact, it can be used to partially replace pay programs that are related to Internet Security. Some of the pop-ups are dangerous on some sites, and they've even been used to transmit virus, trojan, etc.

Please let me say right now that I know the advertising on Christians Unite is completely safe. In fact, Christians Unite is one of the few sites that I don't worry about at all. I also use a black list of sites known to pass dangerous materials.

I finally have a faster connection, but I still don't like to load flash, scripts, and other things that I didn't click on myself. So, Adblock is also a security related program.

Joey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 12:44:54 PM »

I'm caught in two minds about this extension and for that reason do not use it. I can understand all the reasons such as helping if your on dial up, viruses and trojans (although most good Anti virus programs should neutralize this threat). But i can also see the other side of the coin and how these adverts keep websites going.

I am going to use Christians Unite just as an example....I would guess that the reason CU use's adverts is because of revenue and it helps to keep CU going. But just imagine if everyone used a adblock piece of software. The companies paying to place adverts on CU would soon realize and would eventually decide it doesn't pay to place there adverts on here. An important revenue for CU suddenly dries up and after a while, how would this effect a website like this? Would it be able to carry on without the revenue it receives from adverts. Probably not.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 02:20:12 PM »

Hello Brother Joey,

You are quite right about many web sites needing advertising revenue to stay afloat and pay the bills. This most certainly includes Christians Unite.

I still see most of the advertising from Christians Unite, and you can configure Adblock in countless ways. You can also subscribe to various lists that accomplish various purposes. A high priority purpose for me is security and always has been. You are also right about good virus programs catching maybe the bulk of bad things that can be done to your computer. However, recent security experts all recommend multiple programs to do the same thing and hopefully cover all of the bases (i.e. more than one virus program, more than one spyware program, etc., etc.). Even with multiple programs to protect your computer, there are additional recommendations by all of the security experts. In fact, there are many entire books to educate people in how to protect their computers.

Brother, there's a reason why all good virus, spyware, and etc. programs have regular updates. The bad guys are always trying to find new ways to hit your computer, and new ways come out every day. Christians Unite has NEVER had anything associated with it that's designed to hurt someone's computer. Our ADMIN is very particular about security and protecting the security of Christians Unite users. I've been a user for years, and Christians Unite is one of the few sites on the Internet that I trust completely.

If there is something that I'm interested in or want possibly covered in advertising from Christians Unite, I click it and check there first. I don't know if clicking the advertising helps Christians Unite or not, but I do know that advertising pays most of the bills on Christians Unite. Adblock can also be set with a "White-list" of sites you don't want filtered. What lists and sites you set to be filtered in Adblock are completely up to you. GENERALLY, I would just say that it's NOT a good idea to run your browser wide open and accept everything thrown at you on the Internet. It really doesn't matter how many security programs you have or how good they are, other common sense things should be done at the same time. An easy example is not opening email attachments from people you don't know. The main point is that you don't want to put too much trust in your security programs. This is especially true if you like to surf to new places on the Internet all the time that you don't know about or trust.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the