Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:15:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Witnessing (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  A Friend in Need
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Friend in Need  (Read 5615 times)
mississippi_jesus_chic

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2007, 11:33:41 PM »

I really hope someone has some advice for me on this one.

There is this guy that used to be my best friend.  He was my best friend for about 2 years until I moved two states away.  At that time we were both unsaved and both unchurched.  After I moved I got in church and made a lot of changes and he changed too, but definitely for the worse.  I have grown a lot in my Christian walk and I have been trying to witness to him when we talk on the phone every now and then.  We don't talk much.  It was about three years ago that I moved, we haven't seen each other in almost 3 years!  It's really hard for me to believe.   Anyway, I just can't seem to get my point across to him.  I care a lot about him but I don't know how to EFFECTIVELY witness to him.  Sometimes I feel like I should just give up on him but I know its just satan.  If I gave up on him, and he died tomorrow I know where he would go and I would feel responsible for not doing my part.  He has had a very unstable family life all his life.  His dad drinks like a horse in the desert and his mom just got out of jail.  He has gone back and forth between his mom and his aunt for the past year.  He's only 16.  I just wish I could get through to him.

Any prayers and advice are appreciated!

Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.     Joshua 1:9
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 12:22:11 AM »

My prayers are definitely with you in this.

The one thing that we cannot do is to force someone to come to Christ, as I'm sure that you already know. We can only plant the seed and the rest is up to God and that person. If you have witnessed to that person then in no way is it your responsibility if he does not accept Christ.

I think that a verse that we see in three of the Gospels fits this situation.

Mat 10:14  And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.

This is not to say that we must write this person off completely but rather to not concentrate on them and to go on to those that will listen. I would not fret over him but I would continue in prayer for him. Other than that I would let it go unless the Lord provided another opportunity to witness to him.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
funtainventures

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 08:30:25 AM »

In addition to what Pastor Roger gave, I want to add the importance of LOVE in witnessing.

You will agree with me that most of us surrendered at the feet of the LORD WHEN WE COME TO THE KNOWLEDGE OF HIS UNFAILING LOVE IN SAVING US. If a reflection of this LOVE is allowed through our life as a mirror in our witnessing, more sinners will lay down their life in submission.

I join my prayer with others, and I believe that the soul of your friend will not be lost in hell

Stay bless.

UNTO GOD BE THE GLORY
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 03:38:43 PM »

MJC

Never give up.
Pray without ceasing.
Love in all that you do.

That is it.  I understand completely where you are coming from and what you are feeling.  I have a group of friends that I grew up with.  We were like peas in the pod when we were growing up.  We even all ended up in the Navy together. 

1) Tim is saved, single dad of 2.  Not going to church and knows that he should.  Even understands that it is Satan that is keeping him from going.  It just has not sunk in yet that because he is not raising his boys in the knowledge of Jesus and in a good Godly environment they will most likely end up in Hell.  I have been visiting with him and trying to get him to commit on some Bible study time with me, to get him worked back into church attendance.

2) Craig is lost.  Craig has a history of drugs.  Craig is the definition of atheist.  He could not tell you why he is, just that he is.  Probably one of the smartest people I have ever known, but would not know when to come in out of the rain.  And he is the type that he has to do it and know it himself.  He does not rely on anyone else even though he really does not know that he relies on everyone else.  I have not really talked to him in years, because of his drug use I did not want him around my family.  But I pray for him on a daily basis and try to witness anytime I happen to run across him.

3) Chris is lost.  Chris is married with one child.  Whole family is lost.  Chris is what I would call an intelligent atheist.  He has wrapped himself in science and that has become his religion, even though he would NEVER call it that.  I stay in touch with him through email and we have conversations quite often about many different topics including religious ones.  I have him and his family on the top of my salvation list. 

I mention them because they just about cover the spectrum from saved but not faithful to lost and out of touch.  And each and every one of them and their families remain in my prayer book.  And even though I do not talk to Craig much, when I do I try and plant a seed.  I do not push because we cannot force anyone as PR said.  And if we push too hard then Satan will pull them away.  There have been conversations with Chris that I could clearly see Satan speaking in his email, and things would be targeted at me directly and not at the conversation.  And you will see that as well as you talk to your friend as well as others.

But you keep your friend in prayers and let them know that you are praying for them.  Mention it once and when they tell you about something that is going on you can mention it again. 

I also mention those folks by name for anyone who would like to add them to your prayer list please do. 

MJC I hope that the advice here helps.  Leave it in God's hands and do not worry yourself to death over it.  Pray and witness when God provides you the opportunities and leave it in HIs capable hands.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 04:16:27 PM »

Amen brother I will add the names of your friends to my prayer list.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
mississippi_jesus_chic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 10:30:59 PM »

Thank you all.  I just wish I knew what was going on in his life.  We talk fairly steady for a while and then I won't hear from him for months.  Its just an off and on thing.  It would be so much easier if I could see him on a daily basis.  I haven't seen him in almost 2 years.  If we were around each other more maybe he would see Christ in me.  I could try to be an example to him.  I have tried and tried to get through to him but I just can't seem to get through.  I would hate to see something terrible happen to him in the spiritual shape he is in now.

Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.     Joshua 1:9
def
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 04:01:23 PM »

I really hope someone has some advice for me on this one.

There is this guy that used to be my best friend.  He was my best friend for about 2 years until I moved two states away.  At that time we were both unsaved and both unchurched.  After I moved I got in church and made a lot of changes and he changed too, but definitely for the worse.  I have grown a lot in my Christian walk and I have been trying to witness to him when we talk on the phone every now and then.  We don't talk much.  It was about three years ago that I moved, we haven't seen each other in almost 3 years!  It's really hard for me to believe.   Anyway, I just can't seem to get my point across to him.  I care a lot about him but I don't know how to EFFECTIVELY witness to him.  Sometimes I feel like I should just give up on him but I know its just satan.  If I gave up on him, and he died tomorrow I know where he would go and I would feel responsible for not doing my part.  He has had a very unstable family life all his life.  His dad drinks like a horse in the desert and his mom just got out of jail.  He has gone back and forth between his mom and his aunt for the past year.  He's only 16.  I just wish I could get through to him.

Any prayers and advice are appreciated!
Hi Mississippi,My brother remember Jesus paid it all ,and time is God tool and we are a work in progress as you grow in hope and love for your friend He will grow, in God time for his plan for him,keep showing a good example and and try to trust God one moment at the time for your friend meanwhile we have Jesus who is closer than a brother  and the Joy and peace of the Holy Spirit..love in Jesus ,Def`  praying for you.`
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 11:08:27 PM »

I'm sorry your friend has had such a troubled past/family life....that must have been hard on him.  Everyone has given you good advice.  Love him in Christ, I pray he will come to know Christ, too.  He must certainly be hurting and in need of the peace and love of God.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 11:10:16 PM by Debp » Logged

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
Greg F

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 11:13:35 PM »

2) Craig is lost.  Craig has a history of drugs.  Craig is the definition of atheist.  He could not tell you why he is, just that he is.  Probably one of the smartest people I have ever known, but would not know when to come in out of the rain.  And he is the type that he has to do it and know it himself.  He does not rely on anyone else even though he really does not know that he relies on everyone else.  I have not really talked to him in years, because of his drug use I did not want him around my family.  But I pray for him on a daily basis and try to witness anytime I happen to run across him.

If Craig is smart AND intellectual, a great book is "Orthodoxy" by G.K. Chesterton.  It was Chesterton's writings, in part, that helped C.S. Lewis make his decision for Christ, and it is an extraordinary work of apologetics.  Sometimes a book is a good addition to personal witness for those stubborn types that have to figure everything out themselves.

As far as the young friend of Mississippi Jesus Chick . . . don't forget to pray. I took a course called "The Contagious Christian" with my wife and they had us pray for others to be saved as the first step in witnessing to them.  After the course I said to my wife that I wondered if anyone ever prayed for me to receive Christ.  She looked at me like I had two heads and named every Christian that we knew.  I had no idea.  Made me tear up a little. Get others who know him, if you have contact with any of his other friends, to pray for him to come to Christ as well.  There is power in prayer and the Holy Spirit acts, not us, to open the heart of a non-believer.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the