Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:38:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Politics and Political Issues (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Clinton
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clinton  (Read 5785 times)
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 09:04:46 AM »

As much as I would love to see it....I would still rather have her than Obama.  At least if I know I have a liar and a cheat in office...I know how to control them....a closet Islamist...that is a bird of a different feather....and one that would create other problems abroad as well.  With Hellary we just keep her shut up so she does not have to talk to anyone....so no promises made...  Smiley

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 12:04:37 PM »

This is a very sad and strange election. WEIRD might be a better term for this election.

The choices are limited, and I guess there could be further developments before the election. At this point, I would simply say that I can't vote for Obama or Clinton - NO WAY! If McCain is the only other choice, I guess that I'll have to vote for him.

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 10:48:41 PM »

Bill Clinton backed down Friday after reviving his wife’s exaggerated account of her trip to Bosnia 12 years ago.

Hillary Clinton acknowledged late last month that she had misspoken when she said on more than one occasion that she had landed under sniper fire during a visit to Bosnia. The controversy surrounding the story had died down until the former president brought it back Thursday when he tried to defend his wife’s mistake.

Clinton accused the media of treating his wife like “she’d robbed a bank” for confusing the facts. But in retelling the story, the former president added his own inaccuracies to the account.

On Friday, Bill Clinton said he would no longer talk about the Bosnia trip.

“Hillary called me and said, ‘You don’t remember this, you weren’t there. Let me handle it.’ And I said ‘Yes ma’am,’” the former president said as he visited the scene of a campaign office that burned down in Terre Haute, Ind.

Hillary Clinton spokesman Mo Elleithee said in a statement: “Senator Clinton appreciates her husband standing up for her, but this was her mistake and she takes responsibility for it.”

The Democratic presidential hopeful had repeatedly described a harrowing scene in Tuzla, Bosnia, in which she and her daughter, Chelsea, had to run for cover as soon as they landed for a visit in 1996. But video footage from that day showed a peaceful reception during which an 8-year-old girl greeted the smiling first lady.

Hillary Clinton has acknowledged she got the facts wrong in retelling the tale. (emphasis mine.)

But her husband said Thursday, “There was a lot of fulminating because Hillary, one time late at night when she was exhausted, misstated and immediately apologized for it, what happened to her in Bosnia in 1995.”

“Did y’all see all that? Oh, they blew it up,” the former president continued. “Let me just tell you. The president of Bosnia and Gen. Wesley Clark — who was there making peace where we’d lost three peacekeepers who had to ride on a dangerous mountain road because it was too dangerous to go the regular, safe way — both defended her because they pointed out that when her plane landed in Bosnia, she had to go up to the bulletproof part of the plane, in the front.

“Everybody else had to put their flak jackets underneath the seat in case they got shot at. And everywhere they went they were covered by Apache helicopters. So they just abbreviated the arrival ceremony.

“And I think she was the first first lady since Eleanor Roosevelt to go into a combat zone. And you would have thought, you know, that she’d robbed a bank the way they all carried on about this,” he said.

But Hillary Clinton didn’t make the sniper fire claim “one time late at night when she was exhausted.” She told the story several times, including during prepared remarks on foreign policy delivered the morning of March 17.

It’s also not true that she “immediately apologized for it.” Clinton has never apologized and only acknowledged that she “misspoke” a week after the March 17 speech, after the video of her peaceful tarmac reception emerged.

It’s also not true that she was the “first first lady since Eleanor Roosevelt to go into a combat zone” — a claim Hillary Clinton has also made when talking about the trip. Pat Nixon traveled to Saigon during the Vietnam war, and Barbara Bush went to Saudi Arabia two months before the launching of Desert Storm. The trip also was not in 1995, but 1996.

Bill Clinton attempted to smooth things over Friday.

“The fundamental fact is she went there, everyone that flew around with her … had Apache helicopters guarding them and there was some risk, of course,” he said. “And she did a good job, and she did a good job for the troops, but she is right. I wasn’t there. I don’t remember the facts right either.”

In pledging not to tackle the Bosnia story any more, he appeared to be hearkening back to advice he gave himself shortly after Super Tuesday in February, when he was taking heat for playing an aggressive role in the campaign.

“I think I can promote Hillary but not defend her because I was president,” Clinton said in an interview with NBC affiliate WCSH-TV as he was campaigning in Portland, Maine. “I have to let her defend herself or have someone else defend her.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Is there a difference in "getting the facts wrong" and just plain ol' lying among the Clintons?  Must be.

In Christ,
Grammyluv

Let us fight the good fight!
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 11:51:22 PM »

GrammyLuv Said:

Is there a difference in "getting the facts wrong" and just plain ol' lying among the Clintons?  Must be.

Sister Yvette, we might have a problem with this. When someone take a polygraph test, one of the first things they must do is establish known points of TRUTH for a reference. This brings up the hard question:  Do we have any known points of TRUTH to use as a reference for either of the Clintons? YES - I'm serious.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 03:51:01 PM »

Hillary jumps to 20-point lead in Pennsylvania
Obama had drawn even with New York Democrat just 1 week ago

A new poll of likely voters in the Pennsylvania Democratic primary shows Sen. Hillary Clinton skyrocketing from a deadlock to a 20-point lead over Sen. Barack Obama in just one week.

An American Research Group survey April 5-6 had the candidates in a 45-45 tie. But the group's latest polling, April 11-13, has Clinton leading 57-37.

Obama has been on the defensive since the reporting of a speech to wealthy donors in San Francisco one week ago in which he suggested working class people "cling to guns and religion" because they're bitter about their economic circumstances.

Obama had closed the gap with Clinton Pennsylvania after a March 26-27 American Research Group survey had her in a 51-39 lead.

The polling group noted it found 23 percent of likely Democratic primary voters say excessive exposure to Obama's advertising is causing them to support Clinton.

The survey also indicated that, in the primary, 10 percent of all likely Democratic primary voters say they would never vote for Clinton and 24 percent would never vote for Obama.

Clinton leads Obama 48 percent to 44 percent among men, American Research found. Among women, Clinton leads 64 percent to 31 percent.

Clinton leads 64-29 percent among white voters, and Obama leads 79-18 percent among African American voters.

Among voters age 18 to 49, Clinton has a 52-43 lead. She has a bigger margin among voters 50 and older, 62-31.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2008, 12:27:47 PM »

Dick Morris: Hillary has her own terrorist problem
Ex-Clinton adviser sees 'skeletons' that have not been fully investigated

With the media focus this week on Sen. Barack Obama's relationship with the notorious Weatherman Underground figure William Ayers, voters should be reminded of Sen. Hillary Clinton's ties to terrorists, says political analyst and former Clinton adviser Dick Morris.

Clinton has argued Obama would make a more vulnerable general election candidate because opposition researchers are just beginning to vet his past political associations, but Morris told WND he believes Hillary is wrong when she maintains all her "baggage" has been "rummaged through for years."

Morris insists Clinton has plenty of radical political skeletons in her closet that have not been fully investigated.

"In the 1980s, Hillary served on the board of the New World Foundation, which gave a grant to the PLO, then designated by the U.S. as a terrorist group," Morris noted.

In 1996, he added, Clinton organized a White House conference for the American Muslim Alliance.

Clinton took a $50,000 donation from the Alliance when she ran for the Senate and tried to hide it on her forms by calling it the 'American Museum Alliance, Morris said.

"Then, when it was discovered, she hesitated until a week before the election and then returned the money," he explained. "By the time Hillary gave it back, she had forsworn use of soft money in the campaign, so the donation had lost its usefulness in any event."

Writing in the Wall Street Journal Nov. 3, 2000, terrorism expert Steven Emerson identified the American Muslim Alliance as "an anti-Israeli group whose leaders have sanctioned terrorism, published anti-Semitic statements and repeatedly hosted conferences that were forums for denunciations of Jews and exhortations to wage jihad."

Emerson objected to Clinton's attempt to distance herself from wrongdoing, instead of admitting she had courted radical Islamic groups such as the American Muslim Alliance. Clinton, he said, used the White House to hold conferences so she could solicit campaign contributions for her up-coming New York Senate race.

Emerson quoted Clinton saying, "I have been part of some of those events. I have hosted some of them."

Yet, Emerson said, she tried to position her actions "as part of the administration's efforts to open lines of communication and build bridges with Muslim Americans and Muslim leaders from all over the world."

Emerson asked, "What have these groups done since Mrs. Clinton began reaching out to them?"

He answered by documenting a long list of instances in which Islamic groups invited to the White House by Clinton had held radical anti-Israel rallies, speeches and public meetings.

Among the examples cited by Emerson was a Sept. 16, 2000, Washington rally sponsored by the Council on American-Islamic Relations, the American Muslim Council and the Muslim Public Affairs Council.

At the rally, the head of CAIR, Nihad Awad, declared: "[The Jews] have been saying 'next year to Jerusalem,' we say to them 'next year to all of Palestine!'"

In an article entitled "Hillary's Terrorist Ties," written to appear on his website, Morris credits the work of WND author Aaron Klein, who in his book "Schmoozing with Terrorists" documents "how most of the Hamas leaders are fulsome in their praise of Hillary and outspoken in their hopes for their victory."

"Clearly, Barack Obama should not have stayed in Reverend Wright's church and his campaign should not maintain a 'friendly' relationship with William Ayers," Morris asserted. "But what about Hillary hosting a terror-supporting group in the White House? And her acceptance of a $50,000 campaign contribution from that group? These are far more serious connections than have been established for Obama and either Wright or Ayers."

Ayers is the 1960s Weather Underground radical who participated in bombing New York City's police headquarters in 1970, the U.S. Capitol building in 1971 and the Pentagon in 1972.

Ayers served with Obama on the board of the Chicago-based Woods Foundation when the group provided a $40,000 grant to the Arab American Action Network. The group's founder, Columbia University professor Rashid Khalidi, is a harsh critic of Israel who was associated with the Palestine Liberation Organization when it was labeled a terrorist organization by the State Department.

In Wednesday's presidential debate in Philadelphia, ABC's George Stephanopoulos confronted Obama about his association with Ayers.

Obama replied, "This is a guy who lives in my neighborhood, who's a professor of English in Chicago, who I know and I have not received some official endorsement from. He's not somebody who I exchange ideas from on a regular basis."

Obama argued, "And the notion that somehow as a consequence of me knowing somebody who engaged in detestable acts 40 years ago, when I was 8 years old, somehow reflects on me and my values doesn't make sense, George."

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2008, 04:25:17 PM »

Clinton took a $50,000 donation from the Alliance when she ran for the Senate and tried to hide it on her forms by calling it the 'American Museum Alliance, Morris said.

WHAT??  Dishonesty in politics?!  Tell me it isn't so! 

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008, 01:44:07 PM »

Hillary: I'm prepared
to 'totally obliterate' Iran
Says she would respond if Tehran
attacks Israel with nuclear weapons

As Pennsylvania voters go to the polls in a primary widely regarded as do-or-die for Sen. Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign, the New York Democrat apparently is positioning herself to the right of some Republicans, vowing that if Iran attacks Israel with nuclear weapons, she would respond in kind against Tehran, with the ability to "totally obliterate them."

Clinton's remarks came during an interview airing tomorrow morning on the ABC News show, "Good Morning America."

ABC's Chris Cuomo asked Clinton what she would do if Iran attacked Israel with nuclear weapons, according to the network.

"I want the Iranians to know that if I'm the president we will attack Iran," Clinton said. "In the next 10 years, during which they might foolishly consider launching an attack on Israel, we would be able to totally obliterate them."

On the floor of the Senate on Feb. 14, 2007, Clinton stated, "If the administration believes that any, any use of force against Iran is necessary, the president must come to Congress to seek that authority."

As WND reported, Clinton offered a new defense doctrine during the Democratic presidential debate in Philadelphia last week that would have the U.S. defend Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates with nuclear weapons.

Her statement largely went unnoticed, pointed out political consultant and pundit Dick Morris, a former adviser to President Bill Clinton.

Co-moderator George Stephanopoulos, who asked the question, was "too focused on Obama's wearing or not wearing a flag pin in his lapel," Morris said.

Here's what Clinton said: "We should be looking to create an umbrella of deterrence that goes much further than just Israel. Of course I would make it clear to the Iranians that an attack on Israel would incur massive retaliation from the United States. But I would do the same with other countries in the region ... . You can't go to the Saudis or the Kuwaitis or UAE and others who have a legitimate concern about Iran and say, well, don't acquire these weapons to defend yourself unless you're also willing to say we will provide a deterrent backup."

Morris suggest the sweeping new defense doctrine offered by Clinton is "perhaps influenced by her husband's $15 million paycheck from Dubai or the $10 million the Saudi monarchy gave to his library."

In a column yesterday in the New York Post, Morris said "no American president has ever made so sweeping a commitment in the region. Hillary certainly appears willing to break new ground"

Morris concluded: "If there is one real warmonger in this race, it is Hillary Clinton, who is now willing to risk our cities to save some of the most repressive regimes in the Middle East."

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 10:52:42 PM »

How Enron Worked the President

Are You Ready?

How Enron Worked the President!

(This is an interesting bit of information that you don't hear much about.)

1.      Enron's chairman did meet with the president and the

Vice president in the Oval Office.

2.  Enron gave $420,000 to the president's party over three years.

3.  It donated $100,000 to the president's inauguration festivities.

4.  The Enron chairman stayed at the White House 11 times.

5. The corporation had access to the administration at its highest level and

Even enlisted the Commerce and State Departments to grease deals for it.

6. The taxpayer-supported Export-Import Bank subsidized Enron for

More than $600 million in just one transaction.

Scandalous!!

BUT...the president under whom al l this happ ened WASN'T George W. Bush.

SURPRISE!

It was President Bill Clinton!

And do you think Hillary didn't know?

ARE WE REALLY READY FOR MRS. CLINTON?

Liberalism is a Mental Disorder
--

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2008, 11:24:10 PM »

Here's a good mugshot:     Grin

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 12:05:40 PM »

Clinton camp denies she's ready to concede
Sources tell AP ex-first lady will acknowledge Obama has enough delegates

Hillary Rodham Clinton will concede Tuesday night that Barack Obama has the delegates to secure the Democratic nomination, campaign officials told the Associated Press, a move that would effectively end her bid to be the nation's first female president.

The report, which cited two campaign sources, said the former first lady would stop short of formally suspending or ending her race in her speech in New York City, but that for all intents and purposes the campaign was over.

The campaign quickly reacted to the report, saying that the AP report was incorrect and that Clinton would not concede the nomination tonight.

Harold Ickes, a top campaign official, said that Clinton would not drop out of the race. Asked on MSNBC what she would say if, after primaries in Montana and South Dakota, Obama had enough delegates to clinch the nomination, he replied, "She will say what she will say when she says it."

Earlier on the TODAY show, Clinton campaign chairman Terry McAuliffe said Tuesday that once Obama gets the majority of convention delegates, "I think Hillary Clinton will congratulate him and call him the nominee."

The outcome could come by the end of the day with some choreography by the party's superdelegates. The party insiders were lining up behind Obama at a rate that could seal the nomination once results are in from Montana and South Dakota — or even before.

Two more superdelegates endorsed him Tuesday morning, from Michigan and Missouri, leaving him just 40 delegates short of the 2,118 needed to put him over the top and make him the nation's first black presidential nominee from a major party.

Challenge unlikely
Clinton, once seen as a sure bet in her historic quest to become the first female president, was still pressing the superdelegates to support her fading candidacy. But McAuliffe indicated she was not inclined to drag out a dispute over delegates from the unsanctioned Michigan primary despite feeling shortchanged by a weekend compromise by the party's rules committee that she could still appeal to a higher level.

"I don't think she's going to go to the credentials committee," he said on NBC's "Today" show. Taking the matter to that committee would essentially extend the dispute into the convention and deny Democrats the unity they sorely want to achieve against Republican John McCain.

However, the campaign was upset that the AP report came out as voters were still going to the polls.

Meantime, seeing the cards fall into place for his November rival, McCain planned a prime time speech Tuesday night in the New Orleans suburb of Kenner, La., in what is essentially a kickoff of the fall campaign.

Big endorsement
On Tuesday, House Majority Whip and unpledged delegate James Clyburn told the TODAY show that he was throwing his support behind Obama.

"I believe the nomination of Senator Obama is our party's best chance for victory in November, and our nation's best hope for much needed change," the South Carolina representative said.

"Once the last votes are cast, then it's in everybody's interest to resolve this quickly so we can pivot," he added.

Obama has said there were a lot of superdelegates who have been private supporters of his but wanted to respect the process by not endorsing until the final primaries were done.

"We're still working the phones and we're still talking to people ... so we'll certainly have to wait until a little later tonight to see what the final tally is, but we certainly feel good waking up this morning," Robert Gibbs, Obama's spokesman, told CNN on Tuesday.

In a defiant shot across the GOP bow, Obama, who returned to hometown Chicago late Monday, planned to hold his wrap-up rally in St. Paul, Minn., at the arena that will be the site of the Republican National Convention in September.

Clinton rally in NYC
Clinton returned to New York, the state she represents in the Senate, planning an end-of-primary evening rally in Manhattan after a grueling campaign finale as she pushed through South Dakota on Monday.

"I'm just very grateful we kept this campaign going until South Dakota would have the last word," she said at a restaurant in Rapid City in one of her final campaign stops. Polls suggested Obama would win both South Dakota and Montana.

She still sounded buoyant. Her biggest booster and most tireless campaigner, husband Bill Clinton, didn't. "This may be the last day I'm ever involved in a campaign of this kind," the former president said somberly as he stumped for her in South Dakota.

Ahead of Tuesday's concluding primaries, Obama sought to set the stage for reconciliation, praising Clinton's endurance and determination and offering to meet with her — on her terms — "once the dust settles" from their race.

"The sooner we can bring the party together, the sooner we can start focusing on McCain in November," Obama told reporters in Michigan. He said he spoke with Clinton on Sunday when he called to congratulate her on winning the Puerto Rico primary, most likely her last hurrah.

That fueled speculation for a "dream ticket" in which Clinton would become Obama's running mate — but neither camp was suggesting that was much of a possibility.

In the AP interview, Obama was asked when he would start looking for a running mate.

"The day after I have gotten that last delegate needed to officially claim the nomination, I'll start thinking about vice presidential nominees," he said. "It's a very important decision, and it's one where I'm going to have to take some time."

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 10:44:29 PM »

I hope she doesn't.  It'll take all of the entertainment out of the race!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 10:49:57 PM »

I hope she doesn't.  It'll take all of the entertainment out of the race!

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2008, 12:28:10 AM »

Hey Brother!  Been missin' ya!  Huh Cheesy

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2008, 12:54:01 PM »

I'm not surprised.  Are you surprised?

Saudi Arabia Among Biggest Donors to Clinton Foundation
Bill Clinton's foundation disclosed the names of its 205,000 donors on a Web site Thursday, ending a decade of resistance to identifying the sources of its money.

Former President Bill Clinton's foundation has raised at least $46 million from Saudi Arabia and other foreign governments that his wife Hillary Rodham Clinton may end up negotiating with as the next secretary of state.

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia gave $10 million to $25 million to the William J. Clinton Foundation, a nonprofit created by the former president to finance his library in Little Rock, Ark., and charitable efforts to reduce poverty and treat AIDS. Other foreign government givers include Norway, Kuwait, Qatar, Brunei, Oman, Italy and Jamaica. The Dutch national lottery gave $5 million to $10 million.

The Blackwater Training Center donated $10,001 to $25,000. The State Department -- to be led by Hillary Clinton if she is confirmed -- will have to decide next year whether to renew Blackwater Worldwide's contract to protect U.S. diplomats in Iraq. Five Blackwater guards have been indicted by a U.S. grand jury on manslaughter and weapons charges stemming from a September 2007 firefight in Baghdad's Nisoor Square in which 17 Iraqis died.

The foundation disclosed the names of its 205,000 donors on a Web site Thursday, ending a decade of resistance to identifying the sources of its money. While the list is heavy with international business leaders and billionaires, some 12,000 donors gave $10 or less.

Clinton agreed to release the information after concerns emerged that his extensive international fundraising and business deals could conflict with America's interests if his wife became Obama's top diplomat. The foundation has insisted for years that it was under no legal obligation to identify its contributors, contending that many expected confidentiality when they donated.

The list also underscores ties between the Clintons and India, a connection that could complicate diplomatic perceptions of whether Hillary Clinton can be a neutral broker between India and neighbor Pakistan in a region where President-elect Barack Obama will face an early test of his foreign policy leadership.

The former president did not release specific totals for each donor, providing only ranges of giving. Nor did he identify individual contributors' occupations or countries of residence.

Donors gave Clinton's foundation at least $492 million from its inception in 1997 through last year, according to the most recent figures available.

After negotiations with Obama's transition team, Clinton promised to reveal the contributors, submit future foundation activities and paid speeches to an ethics review, step away from the day-to-day operation of his annual charitable conference and inform the State Department about new sources of income and speeches.

Representatives of the foundation, including CEO Bruce Lindsay and attorney Cheryl Mills, and aides to Hillary Clinton met privately Wednesday with staff of incoming Foreign Relations Committee Chairman John Kerry of Massachusetts and ranking Republican Dick Lugar of Indiana to discuss the foundation's activities and review a memorandum of understanding drawn up by the Clinton and Obama teams.

The Foreign Relations Committee will hold hearings and vote on Hillary Clinton's nomination before sending it to the full Senate. Shortly after Obama tapped Clinton, Lugar said he would support her, though he said there would still be "legitimate questions" raised about the former president's extensive international involvement.

"I don't know how, given all of our ethics standards now, anyone quite measures up to this -- who has such cosmic ties," Lugar said.

Some of the donors have extensive ties to Indian interests that could prove troubling to Pakistan. Tensions between the two nuclear nations are high since last month's deadly terrorist attacks in Mumbai.

Amar Singh, a donor in the $1 million to $5 million category, is an Indian politician who played host to Bill Clinton on a visit to India in 2005 and met Hillary Clinton in New York in September to discuss an India-U.S. civil nuclear agreement.

Also in that giving category was Suzlon Energy Ltd. of Amsterdam, a leading supplier of wind turbines. Its chairman is Tulsi R. Tanti, one of India's wealthiest executives. Tanti announced plans at Clinton's Global Initiative meeting earlier this year for a $5 billion project to develop environmentally friendly power generation in India and China.

Two other Indian interests gave between $500,000 and $1 million each:

--The Confederation of Indian Industry, an industrial trade association.

--Dave Katragadda, an Indian capital manager with holdings in media and entertainment, technology, health care and financial services.

Other foreign governments also contributed heavily to the foundation.

--AUSAID, the Australian government's overseas aid program, and COPRESIDA-Secretariado Tecnico, a Dominican Republic government agency formed to fight AIDS, each gave $10 million to $25 million.

--Norway gave $5 million to $10 million.

--Kuwait, Qatar, Brunei and Oman gave $1 million to $5 million each.

--The government of Jamaica and Italy's Ministry for Environment and Territory gave $50,000 to $100,000 each.

--The biggest donations -- more than $25 million each -- came from two donors.

They are the Children's Investment Fund Foundation, a London-based philanthropic organization founded by hedge fund manager Chris Hohn and his wife Jamie Cooper-Hohn and dedicated to helping children, primarily in Africa and India; and UNITAID, an international drug purchase organization formed by Brazil, France, Chile, Norway and Britain to help provide care for HIV-AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis patients in countries with high disease rates.

The foundation's donor list is heavy with overseas business interests.

--Saudi businessman Nasser Al-Rashid gave $1 million to $5 million.

--Friends of Saudi Arabia and the Dubai Foundation each gave $1 million to $5 million, as did the Taiwan Economic and Cultural Office.

--The Swedish Postcode Lottery gave $500,000 to $1 million.

--China Overseas Real Estate Development and the U.S. Islamic World Conference gave $250,000 to $500,000 apiece.

--The No. 4 person on the Forbes billionaire list, Lakshmi Mittal, the chief executive of international steel company ArcelorMittal, gave $1 million to $5 million. Mittal is a member of the Foreign Investment Council in Kazakhstan, Goldman Sachs' board of directors and the World Economic Forum's International Business Council, according to the biography on his corporate Web site.

cont.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the