Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:02:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Isn't this interference with the Master Plan?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Isn't this interference with the Master Plan?  (Read 6630 times)
ollie
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2003, 06:54:47 PM »

Well, I guess this is just an aspect of the irreconcilable concepts of God's omniscience and Man's free will.

If we were to pray, aren't we interfering what God has set?

Also, if people's prayers are contradictory, which one does God answers?

I've read a quotation - "Do not pray for easier problems, pray to be strongert men." This is an attempt to justify the power and extent of prayer. But where do you draw the line of the things that we can ask from God.

"Be content with what you have." Isn't this a tenet of Xtianity?

Then by praying, however trivial (winning a contest) it may be or however life-changing (save the life of a loved one), it still is an indication that we want more than God gave us. We are not contented.

If somebody could shed light into this. Huh

Thanks
Jesus gave Christians examples of what they should pray for in accordance with God His and our Father.

Matthew 6:5.  "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
 6.  But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
 7.  But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
 8.  Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.
 9.  After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. (Praise God.)
10.  Thy kingdom come. (for the coming kingdom)Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. ( for His will to be done in earth as it is in heaven)
11.  Give us this day our daily bread. (physical food and spiritual food)
12.  And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.(forgive our sin as we forgive those that sin against us)
13.  And lead us not into temptation,( keep us out of situations that could cause us to sin ) but deliver us from evil:(keep us from evil) For thine is the kingdom, (acknowledge God for what and who He is)and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen."

We make the mistake many times of praying not in accordance to what God would have us pray. Prayers can be unscriptural. God gave us the guide lines for prayer.

Matthew 5:44.  But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

Matthew 9:37.  Then saith he unto his disciples, The harvest truly is plenteous, but the labourers are few;
 38.  Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth labourers into his harvest.

Romans 8:26.  Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Romans 12:12.  Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;

Ephesians 6:18. Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Philippians 4:6.  Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

1 Thessalonians 5:16.  Rejoice evermore.
 17. Pray without ceasing.
 18.  In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

1 Timothy 2:1.  I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
 2.  For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
 3.  For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
 4.  Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
 5.  For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

James 5:13-16.  Is any among you afflicted? let him pray. Is any merry? let him sing psalms.
 14.  Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:
 15.  And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.
 16. Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

1 Peter 2:12.  For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil.

1 Peter 4:7.  But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto prayer.

Jude 1:20. But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

1 Timothy 2:8.  I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.

A few scriptural verses that covers some of what God expects
of our praying and our prayers.

Take care,
Ollie

someguy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2003, 03:22:24 PM »

"Well, I guess this is just an aspect of the irreconcilable concepts of God's omniscience and Man's free will."

"There is really nothing "irreconcilable" about these two things. God knows the end from the beginning and He does give mankind the ability and privelege to make choices."

Actually there is a valid philosophical argument that shows man's free will and God's omniscience to be irreconcilable.  I will try to sum it up here:

I know this is kind of a silly example, but it works and gets the point across.
Say I am going to steal from the collection plate at church one day.  If God has foreknowledge, he will know this always.  So, 100 years before I decide to steal from the collection plate God tells a prophet that I am going to do so.  Then at the moment that I was supposed to steal from the collection plate, I use my free will and decide not to steal after all.  Either I am changing God's message or I am proving God wrong.  Obviously it is impossible to prove God wrong because that would undermine the definition of God.  Also, I do not have the power to change God's message, because that would give me power the power to change the past and a certain power over God.  So, either humans do not have free will or God does not have foreknowledge.
someguy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2003, 11:56:09 PM »

Hmm, seems no one is interested in this contradiction anymore.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2003, 03:40:59 AM »

Hmm, seems no one is interested in this contradiction anymore.

Someguy,

There is no contradiction. Your hypothetical has no logic when you are talking about God Almighty. God knew the number of hairs on your head before the foundation of the world. If you had a thousand choices and changed your mind a thousand times, the outcome was still known by God before the foundation of the world. Your hypothetical assumes you can outsmart God, and that can't be done.

Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2003, 06:50:36 PM »

Prayer isn't interference-it's interaction. The Bible is filled with commands to pray. God is sovereign, but He uses natural means to fulfill His will. For example, He ordained us to live, but we still have to eat. He may want us to get a good degree, but we still have to study to get it. This is so we can interact with Him and He can use us actively to do His will. The Bible says, "The prayers of a righteous man are powerful and effective." This doesn't mean we always get what we want; it may be that what we want isn't God's will or that we will become more skilled in asking for spiritual things.

Not that God doesn't care about our temporal needs-He does. We are to pray for good things, both spiritual and material needs; but we are to be content with what we have if our service to Him requires us to be poor for a time, or for always. We pray for needs and blessings, but accept and be grateful for what He gives us, much or little.

Prayer is good, and seeking good things is good-especially spiritual things. But God tells us if we seek Him and His righteousness first, He will add all these things to us-according to His will, of course. But our goal has to be to seek Him, not what is in His hand.

And we are to pray for each other. And...we have a promise. If we seek the Lord, He will give us the desires of our heart. I'll look up some scriptures for you.

Blessings,
WH

missyann250

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2003, 03:52:33 AM »

I realize that the Word of God explains that whatever we faithfully pray for God will answer.  All points made well in the fact that praying for things is not the point in prayer.

My concern is that what the Father's will is, is our will.  Whatever challenge is before us, whatever need is necessary, Our Father in heaven is there, enabeling us to be sufficient in all things for the necessary reasons.  If we are without, there is a reason, if we are in need, there is a reason.

I do not question my creator and God in heaven, except when I always ask that His will be manifest in all matters.  He knows exactly what His plans are, how they affect others, and how we all are to be built up as his children in Jesus.  The whole point to our walk in life is to look to Him.  Without Jesus there is no christianity, and we are to beware of those who do not believe that Jesus was alive in the flesh.  Without Jesus there would not be a New Testament, hence, taking "Christ" out of christianity then turning around and quoting scripture seems futile and contradictive.There is only one way to find out, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved. And there is only one way to find out if it's true, that is to believe.  Your world will completely change.
Praying is not selfish, nor up for rebuttle in my life.  God does not allow somthing in my life without reason, never has.  All things work together for good to those who trust in Him.  But if you cannot trust in the Lord and communicate, even if He does know your heart, how can He work with you in your life?  That's like having a one way conversation.  
God will work in all lives regardless of our deeds.  It's Jesus's works through us that counts.  So, if I pray, I am approaching the most perfect being that has it all in control, that is God in heaven.  I conduct my prayers as such, knowing that He asked us to pray, and gave us a mediator, Jesus, who is acting as priest at this point for our behalf to the Father.  
It's all in the heart, not in the head.
It's so obvious that God loves all men.  Is it so ovious that men love to conquer wisdom?  Kind of a natural reaction.  God wants our hearts.

John the Baptist
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2003, 09:01:31 AM »

I realize that the Word of God explains that whatever we faithfully pray for God will answer.  All points made well in the fact that praying for things is not the point in prayer.

My concern is that what the Father's will is, is our will.  Whatever challenge is before us, whatever need is necessary, Our Father in heaven is there, enabeling us to be sufficient in all things for the necessary reasons.  If we are without, there is a reason, if we are in need, there is a reason.

I do not question my creator and God in heaven, except when I always ask that His will be manifest in all matters.  He knows exactly what His plans are, how they affect others, and how we all are to be built up as his children in Jesus.  The whole point to our walk in life is to look to Him.  Without Jesus there is no christianity, and we are to beware of those who do not believe that Jesus was alive in the flesh.  Without Jesus there would not be a New Testament, hence, taking "Christ" out of christianity then turning around and quoting scripture seems futile and contradictive.There is only one way to find out, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved. And there is only one way to find out if it's true, that is to believe.  Your world will completely change.
Praying is not selfish, nor up for rebuttle in my life.  God does not allow somthing in my life without reason, never has.  All things work together for good to those who trust in Him.  But if you cannot trust in the Lord and communicate, even if He does know your heart, how can He work with you in your life?  That's like having a one way conversation.  
God will work in all lives regardless of our deeds.  It's Jesus's works through us that counts.  So, if I pray, I am approaching the most perfect being that has it all in control, that is God in heaven.  I conduct my prayers as such, knowing that He asked us to pray, and gave us a mediator, Jesus, who is acting as priest at this point for our behalf to the Father.  
It's all in the heart, not in the head.
It's so obvious that God loves all men.  Is it so ovious that men love to conquer wisdom?  Kind of a natural reaction.  God wants our hearts.

John here:
Good post, Isa. 59:1-2 tells all, that a persons Prayers are subject to Everlasting Coverant Conditions. See Heb. 13:20 for the Everlasting Covenant.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2003, 09:06:09 AM by John the Baptist » Logged
someguy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2003, 02:55:23 AM »

Actually Blackeyedpeas, the argument that I put forth is completely logical.  It is a philosophically valid and sound argument.  The argument does not assume that you can outsmart God, it simply shows that in order for God to perfectly know the future we cannot have free will.  What you are claiming is that God can do the impossible.  Sure God would be able to do something that is impossible for us, but not something that is logically impossible.  For example, God cannot make a square circle or make a stone that is so heavy that he cannot lift it.  These are things that are logical impossibilities, much as human free will and Gods ominiscience are logically incompatible.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2003, 05:15:39 AM »

Someguy,

If your post about limiting the foreknowledge of God was logical, let me give you another logical post.

You are a figment of your own imagination. Since you don't exist, you didn't write the post and I didn't read it. Further, you're not here to read this post.  Smiley

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2003, 06:19:34 AM »

Actually Blackeyedpeas, the argument that I put forth is completely logical.  It is a philosophically valid and sound argument.  The argument does not assume that you can outsmart God, it simply shows that in order for God to perfectly know the future we cannot have free will.  What you are claiming is that God can do the impossible.  Sure God would be able to do something that is impossible for us, but not something that is logically impossible.  For example, God cannot make a square circle or make a stone that is so heavy that he cannot lift it.  These are things that are logical impossibilities, much as human free will and Gods ominiscience are logically incompatible.

Without going into great depths of scriptural support posting, let me just say this:  Is God completely sovereign in all areas of man?  YES!!  Does man have freewill?  YES!!  Both are true, and do not in any way negate the other.  How so?  For starters, man's freewill.  If God made me an automaton, He'd have no reason to command me to obey now would He?  That is simple logic.  Furthermore, if I were an automaton, my sin would be God's doing and not mine own.  Scripture blatantly refutes that concept in the book of James.  My sin, is just that.  Mine.  

Yet, God is sovereign.  He often makes decisions for me.  I believe that our view of our freewill is often times seen through our eyes as opposed to His.  Consider Abimelech for a moment.  Here's a guy who innocently takes Sarah, Abraham's wife, to be his wife, because they had lied about their marital relationship.  God tells Abimelech in a dream that his nation will be destroyed for his sin.  Abimelech pleads with God, "Out of the innocency and intregrity of my heart have I done this" he says.  And God says, "You're right!"  He tells Abimelech the sin he would have committed - God did not allow him to commit!  Sorta shoots the freewill of man as we understand it often times down doesn't it?  Yet, it was Abraham's sin that brought this situation about by telling a "white lie" about his relationship with Sarah.  Abraham, acted by freewill.  Abimelech, was not permitted.

Again, Pharoah, after experiencing each of the plagues, what does the scriptures tell us? That God hardened his heart that he would not give in and let them go!  Pharoah's freewill choice was held back from him until God was ready for him to make it.  God delayed his freewill choice.

So then, how do we come to understand future events, God's knowledge of them, and our still having freewill?  Is God any less sovereign based upon our freewill?  Does my freewill choices confuse, or make God's knowledge of the future any less credible?  Absolutely not!  How can I say this so certainly?

For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.  And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

Romans 8:29-30

I think we often get caught up in the here and now more than we ought when considering God's knowledge of our future.  You see, if we are His, then He has the ultimate plan of conforming us to the image of His Son.  He began that plan by justifying us.  He works that plan, through His sovereignty and our freewill choice to obey by sanctifying us.  And He ultimately completes that plan by glorifying us - He makes us like Christ!  Regardless of our path in getting to that end, as believers, we all get there.  God uses different paths based upon the singular, immutable truths of His word to work each of us who know Him as Lord and Savior into getting there while we are still here.  Why?  That a lost and dying world might see Him in us.  And in the end, we are made Christlike.  God knows my future.  How?  Because He paid for it with the blood of His Son on the cross of Calvary.  Every choice I'm permitted to make He will use to sanctify me, whether by chastening, or by confirming.  Nothing catches God by surprise.   Smiley

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
ollie
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2003, 03:49:36 PM »

Well, I guess this is just an aspect of the irreconcilable concepts of God's omniscience and Man's free will.

If we were to pray, aren't we interfering what God has set?

Also, if people's prayers are contradictory, which one does God answers?

I've read a quotation - "Do not pray for easier problems, pray to be strongert men." This is an attempt to justify the power and extent of prayer. But where do you draw the line of the things that we can ask from God.

"Be content with what you have." Isn't this a tenet of Xtianity?

Then by praying, however trivial (winning a contest) it may be or however life-changing (save the life of a loved one), it still is an indication that we want more than God gave us. We are not contented.

If somebody could shed light into this. Huh

Thanks
God in His word tells one what they should pray for and ones prayers should always be in accordance with His will and what He wants. He doesn't want the prayers of men in their vanities.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the