Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:33:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  3 days n 3 nights
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3 days n 3 nights  (Read 2303 times)
PhilKosba

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2003, 03:17:52 AM »

According to Jewish calendar, how exactly will the “Three days and Three nights”, of Jesus’ death to resurrection, be in English (our) calendar?

Are not Christians actually making the Lord Jesus a liar by celebrating Good Friday according to what He said in Matthew 12:40 “For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.”???

Cry from the Hell: "Why did I ignore Jesus?"
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2003, 06:27:33 AM »

I LOVE GOOD FRIDAY

Thank You Jesus

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
rafter

I give up all controversy with God He is right!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2003, 08:49:31 AM »

No it does not make Jesus a liar. It makes us wrong plain and simple........ The real question is --- Is it a big deal??? Smiley

Be anxious for nothing, but in all things, through prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, make your requests know unto God.
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2003, 12:07:14 AM »

Please define Good Friday, and what does this day have to do with Jesus being made liar??

Petro

PhilKosba

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2003, 04:24:41 AM »

As far as I know, Christians celebrate Good Friday as the day Christ died and was buried. And they celebrate Easter on Sunday as the day Christ was raised from the dead. So in the ordinary case, people count Friday, Saturday and Sunday as 3 days.

But I would like to know where in the Word of God is it written that Jesus died on Friday. Please explain "Scripturally".

Cry from the Hell: "Why did I ignore Jesus?"
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2003, 12:55:55 PM »

As far as I know, Christians celebrate Good Friday as the day Christ died and was buried. And they celebrate Easter on Sunday as the day Christ was raised from the dead. So in the ordinary case, people count Friday, Saturday and Sunday as 3 days.

But I would like to know where in the Word of God is it written that Jesus died on Friday. Please explain "Scripturally".

Our calendar as it exists today was changed from the Biblical definition of a day by the Roman Catholic church in times past.

But the scriptures give us the way God, counts days, begining at Genesis 1:5; and to my knowledge this has never been changed by Gods Word.

"the evening and the morning were the first day."

So, one day, begins with the evening and includes the following daylight hours.

By carefully reading the scriptures, one can ascertain what the jews understood and practiced on the day Jesus was crucified.

The passover feast (considered a sabbath day)  was to be observed on the 14th Day of the first Month, and we can ascertain that on  the year Jesus was crucified, this day, fell on a friday (by our calendar) which was the sixth day of the week, according to verses in Lk 23:54 below, it was the day before the seventh day Sabbbath, and this Sabbath was one day before the day Jesus arose from the grave; Thefirst day of the week, according to Luke 24:1

But first consider;

Lev 23
23:1  And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
2  Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, Concerning the feasts of the LORD, which ye shall proclaim to be holy convocations, even these are my feasts.
3  Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, an holy convocation; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.
4  These are the feasts of the LORD, even holy convocations, which ye shall proclaim in their seasons.
5  In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the Lord's passover.
6  And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread.

You can see that the Passover Sabbath Feast was followed by seven days of Sabbaths of the feasts of unleavened bread, according to verse:

15  And ye shall count unto you from the morrow after the sabbath, from the day that ye brought the sheaf of the wave offering; seven sabbaths shall be complete:

On the day they crucified Jesus, after He had died, (before evening came) we read at;

Luke 23
50  And, behold, there was a man named Joseph, a counsellor; and he was a good man, and a just:
51  (The same had not consented to the counsel and deed of them;) he was of Arimathaea, a city of the Jews: who also himself waited for the kingdom of God.
52  This man went unto Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus.
53  And he took it down, and wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a sepulchre that was hewn in stone, wherein never man before was laid.
54  And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on.

My understanding from the Jewish teaching, a new day began at 6 P.M. (the begining of evening) and ended at 5:59:59 P.M. of the daylight hours (accounting as noon being the sixth hour, and 3 P.M. as the ninth hour of the daylight hours) which signifies the end of daylight hours, , and if this is so, then Jesus was laid in the tomb before the Sabbath evening began, according to the verse, above.

So included in this sixth day, at evening Jesus ate the passover feast, with His disciples, was betrayed by Judas Iscariot, tried by the religious leaders, taken before Pilate and condemned to death by His own people, inspite of being found innocent, and finally crucified.

Jesus died on the ninth hour according to; Mathew 27:45 -46.

Everything that occurred on the sixth day is counted as fulfillment of that which is written in Isaiah 53, most significant;

8  He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people to whom the stroke was do.

The sabbath was a feast day, which covered the evening and  morning, which made the whole of the day, so the jews considered any portion of a day to be part of the whole day.

If so, Jesus's first day in the belly of the earth was the sixth day, the second day would have been the seventh week day which is the normal seventh day Sabbath and there is no question this day was the Sabbath or the 15th day of the month, because it also was the begining of seven days of Sabbaths the Feast of unleavened bread,

Thus this is why the jews would not enter the "judgement hall" as written in  John 18:28, beacuse the begining of seven days of Sabbaths as written in Lev 23:6 ;

" And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread."

Note especially verse 5,  

In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the Lord's passover.

So, the Passover Feast called the Lords Passover herein, would have been consumed the fourteenth day,  it is easy to confuse oneself with the 14th and  15th day herein (because nothing is said about how to observe the Lords supper herein, it is all covered at Ex 12:11-27) the obeservance of the feast of unleavened bread, is delineated from verses 7 thru 15.

So, in summation, Jesus was in the belly of the earth, the 6,7 days of the week  and arose on the first day of the  new week, early in the morning (Lk24:1) (evening the begining of the first day had already ended or was nearly ended)

Thus 3 days and 3 nights.

Blesings,

Petro

Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2003, 09:18:33 PM »

PhilKosba,

I know Jesus is not a liar, but man has devised man made holidays including Good Friday and Easter. If one is Catholic, I could understand the idolatry.

Jesus did command us to remember his death and resurrection, which we do each time we take communion. He never did tell us to remember Easter who was a Cannanite goddess.

Also the "sunrise service" is pagan to the core. It all originated in sun worship NOT Son worship.

For my Baptist friends you may want to read this short article on Easter. http://users.aol.com/libcfl/easter.htm

Psalm 119
« Last Edit: October 16, 2003, 09:47:18 PM by Psalm 119 » Logged
3wells

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2003, 03:59:32 AM »

http://www.ad2004.com/prophecytruths/Articles/Prophecy/3days3nights.html
ElmerGlue

Praying for the soon coming Kingdom of God.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2003, 01:43:49 PM »

The passover feast (considered a sabbath day)  was to be observed on the 14th Day of the first Month, and we can ascertain that on  the year Jesus was crucified, this day, fell on a friday (by our calendar) which was the sixth day of the week, according to verses in Lk 23:54 below, it was the day before the seventh day Sabbbath, and this Sabbath was one day before the day Jesus arose from the grave; Thefirst day of the week, according to Luke 24:1
….

I cannot find anywhere where the bible refers to Passover day as a Sabbath. Now the first day of unleavened bread is for sure a Sabbath day thanks to the scriptures you provided of Lev 23.

You can see that the Passover Sabbath Feast was followed by seven days of Sabbaths of the feasts of unleavened bread, according to verse:

15  And ye shall count unto you from the morrow after the sabbath, from the day that ye brought the sheaf of the wave offering; seven sabbaths shall be complete:

I am sorry to point this out Petro, but I believe you have just taken out of context what God is talking about. The seven Sabbaths that God/Moses are talking about here is seven weekly Sabbaths, not the days of unleavened bread. Unleavened Bread itself does not begin 'necessarily' on a weekly Sabbath. If you will read further on down, you will see that Pentecost ( or otherwise known as the Feast of Firstfruits) (Pente standing for 50) was on the day after the seventh weekly Sabbath (7 weeks times 7 days plus 1 = 50 days).

The "wave-sheath offering” was performed on the weekly Sabbath that occurred within the Feast of Unleavened Bread, mentioned in Lev 23:15. The days during the Feast of Unleavened bread were not Sabbaths, only the first day, the 15th of Nisan.  

Lev 23:16   Even unto the morrow after the seventh Sabbath shall ye number fifty days; and ye shall offer a new meat offering unto the LORD.  
Lev 23:17   Ye shall bring out of your habitations two wave loaves of two tenth deals: they shall be of fine flour; they shall be baken with leaven; [they are] the firstfruits unto the LORD.  

….
So included in this sixth day, at evening Jesus ate the passover feast, with His disciples, was betrayed by Judas Iscariot, tried by the religious leaders, taken before Pilate and condemned to death by His own people, inspite of being found innocent, and finally crucified.

Jesus died on the ninth hour according to; Mathew 27:45 -46.

So, the Passover Feast called the Lords Passover herein, would have been consumed the fourteenth day,  it is easy to confuse oneself with the 14th and  15th day herein (because nothing is said about how to observe the Lords supper herein, it is all covered at Ex 12:11-27) the obeservance of the feast of unleavened bread, is delineated from verses 7 thru 15.

But wait a cotton pickin’ minute here. Jesus was the first one to eat the “Lord’s Passover” actually on the 14th . If you will notice the quoted scriptures from Exodus, the Lamb was to be kept until the 14th, killed that day, and then eaten that night. Because of how God’s calendar works, the night the Children of Israel ate the Passover lamb was the 15th.

Exd 12:6   And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening.  
    Exd 12:7   And they shall take of the blood, and strike [it] on the two side posts and on the upper door post of the houses, wherein they shall eat it.  
    Exd 12:8   And they shall eat the flesh in that night, roast with fire, and unleavened bread; [and] with bitter [herbs] they shall eat it.  

And this works perfect with the rest of the scriptures, because that means Jesus was crucified during the same time as the Passover lambs were being killed at the temple (on the 14th). Jesus was the world’s Passover Lamb.

….
The sabbath was a feast day, which covered the evening and  morning, which made the whole of the day, so the jews considered any portion of a day to be part of the whole day.

If so, Jesus's first day in the belly of the earth was the sixth day, the second day would have been the seventh week day which is the normal seventh day Sabbath and there is no question this day was the Sabbath or the 15th day of the month, because it also was the begining of seven days of Sabbaths the Feast of unleavened bread,

Thus this is why the jews would not enter the "judgement hall" as written in  John 18:28, beacuse the begining of seven days of Sabbaths as written in Lev 23:6 ;

This is why the Pharisees did not want to gointo the Judgement hall on the night of the 14th the same night Jesus was betrayed, because the next day (starting at sundown) was the 15th, a high Sabbath, the first day of Unleavened Bread.  
….

Sure, the Jews observed the feast on any part of the day that it was to be kept on, but how can that be related to Jesus giving us a time element relating how long he will be in the “belly of the earth”. This makes Christiananity out to be a scam, because the only sign Jesus gave to the Pharisees was that he will be in the tomb three days and three nights. PhilKosba has a darn good point in asking the question.

It is hard to believe that God would ‘kinda’ fulfill his word, by saying “ well, I will count part of the day as part of the night also.” God is an awesome God, and he does not half-heart anything. If His Son says 3days and 3 nights, then we must be the ones that are wrong thinking He was only there for 3 parts of the day, and 2 nights. I am not saying that Jesus is not Jesus at all, what I am saying is the idea that Jesus died on Friday and rose on Sunday does not add up.

-Elmer Glue

It is by faith that you make your decisions, and so this is my faith. We all make decisions based on what we know, so it is our responsibility to do what we feel, and know, is right.

It is when we do not make a decision on what we know and learn that we can do ourselves the biggest disservice.
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2003, 03:52:24 PM »

posted by elmerglue as reply #8

…........

I cannot find anywhere where the bible refers to Passover day as a Sabbath. Now the first day of unleavened bread is for sure a Sabbath day thanks to the scriptures you provided of Lev 23.

elmer,

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.  You are absolutely correct, I don't know what I was thinking, when I wrote that, I am actually surprised I posted that,

I think I meant to say feast day, and I may have been thinking about what I understand from jewish custom,  which according to D. Kantor of a Hebrew Outreach Mission who is a  Christian of Jewish ancestry, who I have been able to ask questions from time to time, to get explanations on questions I have concerning jewish customs and understanding of these things.

Before we go any further, allow me to correct what I believe to be an inconsistancy, in your understanding of a biblical day.

One day, consists of 12 hours of evening followed by a morning or (12 hours of daylight hours), if you believe this to be true, then when we look at Lev 23:5 and 6, it is clear that "The Passover feast" was commanded to be observed on the 14th DAY of the month,.

To get the exact verbage on the LORD"S Passover, one must go to Ex 12:1-12 for the entire passage's context.

Please note:

3  Speak ye unto all the congregation of Israel, saying, In the tenth day of this month they shall take to them every man a lamb, according to the house of their fathers, a lamb for an house:
5  Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year: ye shall take it out from the sheep, or from the goats:
6  And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening.

The fourteenth day (which is comprised of an evening and a morning) spoken of at verse 6, is not speaking specifically of the daylight hours, but it is commanded that the lamb is to be killed in the evening which is the begining of the fourteenth day.

8  And they shall eat the flesh in that night, roast with fire, and unleavened bread; and with bitter herbs they shall eat it.

And, verse 8, makes it clear, the lamb is to be killed and eaten the same evening, eat the flesh in the night is speaking of the fourteenth day, not the fifteenth day.

Perhaps this is where there is confusion.

If you disagree with this please, explain?? feel free to put forth scripture which dispute this, we will look at them.

According to Dr. Kantor the Passover and the  feast of Unleavened Bread has always been referred to interchangably as the passover feasts days; and,

According to the scriptures,  the first day of the feast of unleavened bread is also called Lord's passover day, according to  Ex 12:18, Mat 26:17, Lk 22:1, and clearly form verse 18, it is the 14th day of thre First Month.

The feasts of Pentecost is seven weekly sabbaths, you refer to. It is 7 sabath's x 7 weeks which equesl 49 + 1 day for the LORD"S passover = 50 days.

And according to this information, Jews celebrate the feast of unleaveaned bread for a total of eight days, from the passover day to seventh day sabbath following.

I am not knowledgable enough to say for certain, but rely on what  is explained to me, as I aske questions.  

This is why I asked, if there is someone more knowledgable, maybe they could explain??

But you do correctly explain the feast of Pentecost, I understand it as you have written it to be.

The issue centers around the seven day feasts of "unleavened bread", which begin with the day following the feast of the LORD"S Passover.

I am sorry to point this out Petro, but I believe you have just taken out of context what God is talking about. The seven Sabbaths that God/Moses are talking about here is seven weekly Sabbaths, not the days of unleavened bread. Unleavened Bread itself does not begin 'necessarily' on a weekly Sabbath. If you will read further on down, you will see that Pentecost ( or otherwise known as the Feast of Firstfruits) (Pente standing for 50) was on the day after the seventh weekly Sabbath (7 weeks times 7 days plus 1 = 50 days).

I don't know what you refer to, all I have done is refer to seven day sabbaths while speaking of  the feast of unleavened bread, and I have explanined the use of the word sabbath to have been unintentional.

But wait a cotton pickin' minute here. Jesus was the first one to eat the "Lord's Passover" actually on the 14th . If you will notice the quoted scriptures from Exodus, the Lamb was to be kept until the 14th, killed that day, and then eaten that night. Because of how God's calendar works, the night the Children of Israel ate the Passover lamb was the 15th

Clearly to observe the LORD"S passover memorial on the 15th day of the month, would be to disobey, this ordinance HE established to be observed the 14th day in the evening (v. 14)

And clearly, Mat 26:17, Luke 22:1, refer to Ex 12:18..perhaps this is where you get confused.

Again, it is important to rememebr The twenty-first day, was followed by a normal sabbath day, and this day was the last day of the unleavened bread feast.

Clearly there is a total of 8 days herein, which are considered feast days, and refernced as
both the Lord's  Passoover, and the Feast of unleavened Bread.

When one unravels it, it can be easily seen.

Sure, the Jews observed the feast on any part of the day that it was to be kept on, but how can that be related to Jesus giving us a time element relating how long he will be in the "belly of the earth". This makes Christiananity out to be a scam, because the only sign Jesus gave to the Pharisees was that he will be in the tomb three days and three nights. PhilKosba has a darn good point in asking the question.

It is hard to believe that God would 'kinda' fulfill his word, by saying " well, I will count part of the day as part of the night also." God is an awesome God, and he does not half-heart anything. If His Son says 3days and 3 nights, then we must be the ones that are wrong thinking He was only there for 3 parts of the day, and 2 nights. I am not saying that Jesus is not Jesus at all, what I am saying is the idea that Jesus died on Friday and rose on Sunday does not add up.

-Elmer Glue

Well, I don't how else I can to explain  to you, the Bible is clear to teach He died on the day before the SABBATH and He rose on the FIRST DAY of the WEEK.

What day would you,  like to say Jesus died on, and rose on??

Bleessings,
Petro

Petro
« Last Edit: October 21, 2003, 04:05:08 PM by Petro » Logged

ElmerGlue

Praying for the soon coming Kingdom of God.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2003, 02:17:46 PM »

I have done a little homework, and when Passover is done is quite a debate. The basic thing is that Jesus was our Passover, and was killed at the same time the Passover lamb itself was killed (That may be our misunderstanding). In order to do that, the killing of the lamb/Sacrificing of Jesus had to be done on the 14th during the daylight hours (around noon-afternoon or so - there is a whole debate on that also). One would think then that you could not eat the Passover lamb the same night (the night that began the 14th day) Jesus observed the Passover (or Last Supper some call it) because the lamb was not yet killed (it was killed during the daylight hours, after that night, while Jesus died on the cross).

Sure, the Jews observed the feast on any part of the day that it was to be kept on, but how can that be related to Jesus giving us a time element relating how long he will be in the "belly of the earth". This makes Christiananity out to be a scam, because the only sign Jesus gave to the Pharisees was that he will be in the tomb three days and three nights. PhilKosba has a darn good point in asking the question.

It is hard to believe that God would 'kinda' fulfill his word, by saying " well, I will count part of the day as part of the night also." God is an awesome God, and he does not half-heart anything. If His Son says 3days and 3 nights, then we must be the ones that are wrong thinking He was only there for 3 parts of the day, and 2 nights. I am not saying that Jesus is not Jesus at all, what I am saying is the idea that Jesus died on Friday and rose on Sunday does not add up.

-Elmer Glue

Well, I don't how else I can to explain  to you, the Bible is clear to teach He died on the day before the SABBATH and He rose on the FIRST DAY of the WEEK.

You didn't really address the whole matter of the quote you quoted from me. That quote asks you do you believe Jesus would 'kinda' fulfill 3days and 3nights by doing only 3 days and 2nights.

Secondly, he did die on the preparation day, denoting the next day to be a sabbath, but then how did both Mary's buy spices and prepare them "over the weekend" when they were at Jesus's crucifixtion all day the day you are calling Friday, and then deliver them Sunday morning before the sun rose.

Mar 16:1   And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the [mother] of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.  
Mar 16:2   And very early in the morning the first [day] of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun. (KJV - please see other versions for their sentence structure)

Thirdly, the Bible never tells us when Jesus rose from the grave, all we know 1) he is supposed to be in the grave 3 days and 3 nights, and 2) he was not in the sepulchre Sunday morning before sunrise.

If Jesus says the cock will crow after denouncing him 3 times, then the cock is not going to crow after 2!

How does anyone add "3 Days and 3 Nights" up?

It is by faith that you make your decisions, and so this is my faith. We all make decisions based on what we know, so it is our responsibility to do what we feel, and know, is right.

It is when we do not make a decision on what we know and learn that we can do ourselves the biggest disservice.
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2003, 04:04:48 PM »

I have done a little homework, and when Passover is done is quite a debate. The basic thing is that Jesus was our Passover, and was killed at the same time the Passover lamb itself was killed (That may be our misunderstanding). In order to do that, the killing of the lamb/Sacrificing of Jesus had to be done on the 14th during the daylight hours (around noon-afternoon or so - there is a whole debate on that also). One would think then that you could not eat the Passover lamb the same night (the night that began the 14th day) Jesus observed the Passover (or Last Supper some call it) because the lamb was not yet killed (it was killed during the daylight hours, after that night, while Jesus died on the cross).

There are many debates about all the different aspects of each point of the passover, but one must listen to the scriptures themselves as they contain Gods own words, as to the establishment of and observance of the days He has set as HIS own sabbath days.

You say;

One would think then that you could not eat the Passover lamb the same night (the night that began the 14th day) Jesus observed the Passover (or Last Supper some call it) because the lamb was not yet killed (it was killed during the daylight hours, after that night, while Jesus died on the cross).

I am glad you preface dthis by the words "One would think", since the command is to eat the passover the evening of the fourteenth and not the fifteenth.  And, Jesus the Son of God was carefull to observe every commendment His heavenly Father had ordained.

Lev 23
4  These are the feasts of the LORD, even holy convocations, which ye shall proclaim in their seasons.
5  In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the Lord's passover.
6  And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the LORD: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread.

These are two completely different days.  To say, it is OK to eat the passover the night of the 15th day, is to contradict Gods own words, note:

Ex 12
2  This month shall be unto you the beginning of months: it shall be the first month of the year to you.
3  Speak ye unto all the congregation of Israel, saying, In the tenth day of this month they shall take to them every man a lamb, according to the house of their fathers, a lamb for an house:
4  And if the household be too little for the lamb, let him and his neighbour next unto his house take it according to the number of the souls; every man according to his eating shall make your count for the lamb.
5  Your lamb shall be without blemish, a male of the first year: ye shall take it out from the sheep, or from the goats:
6  And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it in the evening.
7  And they shall take of the blood, and strike it on the two side posts and on the upper door post of the houses, wherein they shall eat it.
8  And they shall eat the flesh in that night, roast with fire, and unleavened bread; and with bitter herbs they shall eat it.
9  Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.
10 And ye shall let nothing of it remain until the morning; and that which remaineth of it until the morning ye shall burn with fire.

Who says, that it is necessary that Jesus must have been crucified at the same time the passover was being eaten?  Gods Word certainly does not..

The Passover is a shadow of the real sacrifice offered up to God, and therefore cannot be the real substance of it, this made clear by Jesus own words, when He took the wine and the bread and said, "Do this in rememberance of ME."

The passover day is refered to as the first day of Unleavened Bread, at Mat 26:17, but at Luke 22:1, it is made clear that the  feast of unleavened bread drew nigh (was approaching, NIV), ;

7  Then came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover must be killed.

Does not refer to the 15th day of the month, since it is clear the lamb was to be killed and eaten the 14th day in the evening.

Now read Mat 26, again verses;

17  Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare for thee to eat the passover?
18  And he said, Go into the city to such a man, and say unto him, The Master saith, My time is at hand; I will keep the passover at thy house with my disciples.
19  And the disciples did as Jesus had appointed them; and they made ready the passover.

The Passover is interchangeably refered to as the ifrts day of unleavened bread. So two separate feast days are refered to as though they be one, but that this is true one needs to look carefully at the days which are to observe the total number of days of both of these feast days combined.

Ex 12
18  In the first month, on the fourteenth day of the month at even, ye shall eat unleavened bread, until the one and twentieth day of the month at even.

There are a total of 8 days referd to herein, from Friday, to the next Sabbath day, 8 days later.

Jesus rose from the grave on the first day of the week following the Passover.  Of this, there is no question..

-Elmer Glue

You didn't really address the whole matter of the quote you quoted from me. That quote asks you do you believe Jesus would 'kinda' fulfill 3days and 3nights by doing only 3 days and 2nights.

Secondly, he did die on the preparation day, denoting the next day to be a sabbath, but then how did both Mary's buy spices and prepare them "over the weekend" when they were at Jesus's crucifixtion all day the day you are calling Friday, and then deliver them Sunday morning before the sun rose.
Mar 16:1   And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the [mother] of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.  
Mar 16:2   And very early in the morning the first [day] of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun. (KJV - please see other versions for their sentence structure)

« Last Edit: October 27, 2003, 04:08:10 PM by Petro » Logged

Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2003, 04:06:17 PM »

The question as to when and where would mary had purchased ointments and spices  is used to confuse the matter further, but it doesn't have to because the scripture tell us, that "they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment"
(Lk 23:52-56). The accounts you have quoted do not disagree with Dr. Luke's account, obviously they purchased them before they prepared them..

Thirdly, the Bible never tells us when Jesus rose from the grave

Sorry, but the scriptures do tell us when He rose, it was before daylight on the first day of the week.

Mk 16
16:1  And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
2  And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.
3  And they said among themselves, Who shall roll us away the stone from the door of the sepulchre?
4  And when they looked, they saw that the stone was rolled away: for it was very great.
5  And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted.
6  And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him.
7  But go your way, tell his disciples and Peter that he goeth before you into Galilee: there shall ye see him, as he said unto you.
8  And they went out quickly, and fled from the sepulchre; for they trembled and were amazed: neither said they any thing to any man; for they were afraid.
9  Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.
10  And she went and told them that had been with him, as they mourned and wept.

, all we know 1) he is supposed to be in the grave 3 days and 3 nights, and 2) he was not in the sepulchre Sunday morning before sunrise.

If Jesus says the cock will crow after denouncing him 3 times, then the cock is not going to crow after 2!

How does anyone add "3 Days and 3 Nights" up?

So there you have it, if Jesus says all that then there,  is no reason to argue, if He arose from the grave on the first day of the week,  and He says He would be in the belly of the earth  three days and three nights, then it stands to reason that is the time HE spent in the belly of the earth was as He said.

All we know because it is clear from scripture,  he  rose from the grave on the first day of the week, and the first day of the  feast of unleavened bread was the same day as the seventh day sabbath, it followed the Lords passover.

He died the ninth hour on the day before the end of the Passover, was buried before the the end of the day of preparation (which was the same day as the Lords Passover) an rose before the daylight hour while it was yet dark (Jhn 20:1) on the first day of the week.

By your reckoning, he would have been in the grave at the most 24 hours + or - and hour or two, depending when He was actually was placed in the grave, if we count the passover being observed on the first day of unleavened bread.

The only thing that works for three days and three nights is to reckon time as the word of God reckoned time, at the time Jesus was crucified.

A portion of a day, was counted as a whole day, to include a day and night making up the whole of the day, just as it was when God created all that is seen;

Gen 1
5  And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

Blessings,

Petro
« Last Edit: October 27, 2003, 10:41:56 PM by Petro » Logged

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the