Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:14:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Halloween
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Halloween  (Read 6269 times)
Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2003, 12:57:32 PM »

To me the best alternitive to Halloween is a Harvest party at the church.
When you go out on Halloween you will visit homes decorated with skulls, witches, and monsters.
Your children will see the same in the street.
It is a day when people covet candy.
We dress up to deceive, be what we are not.
It is a day devoted to Satan.
It is very worldly.

James 4:4  Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Shouldn't we teach our children that we need to resist the devil and his lures.

Luke 24:45  Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
John 6:29  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2003, 01:40:30 PM »

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

"Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight"  Isaiah 5:20-21

Those who have ears to hear let him hear!

Psalm 119
Forrest
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2003, 03:25:30 PM »

2 more weeks Smiley "14" Days Smiley

Brother Love Smiley

P.S. HAPPY Halloween Smiley

Why be happy about a day of pagen Satan worship.
            Not me, I'll be praying thatGODS Will be done.

Your Brother In Christ
          Forrest              
ROM 12:5 So we, [being] many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2003, 05:59:39 PM »

Your all invited to my Halloween Party, dont forget to wear your masks you wear on sundays Grin

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2003, 09:22:36 PM »

A4c,

Do you believe Christians should particpate in Halloween? Yes or no?

Psalm 119
Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2003, 09:56:43 PM »

Here is a link to one of many articles regarding Halloween

http://lrcressy.com/church/sermons/1998/nov.01.98-no.42-TheOriginsOfHalloween.html

ps Beware! when researching Halloween on the net, there are quite a few articles written by witches. Do not be deceived!

Psalm 119
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2003, 10:20:34 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

Many holidays and events have some roots or ties to pagans, including Christmas. I think the more important question is how do you observe the day or time.

As an example, "What is the reason for Christmas". The answer is Christ, not gifts, but most Christians do give gifts. Christmas definitely has pagan ties, but not the way we did it.

The same is true of Halloween. My dad was a very strict and conservative minister. I was 17 years old before I first stepped foot into a movie theater. Halloween activities in my home were scheduled at the pleasure of the police department. The police department worked in conjunction with schools and churches because many or most had scheduled activities. Very rarely did the actual day coincide with the pagan day, but that was really a moot issue. The schools and the churches were involved, and nobody was doing anything evil. It was simply a fun time for kids.

My dad taught us both sides to Christmas and many other holidays. We didn't have a clue what he was talking about when he mentioned some bad people had rituals, etc. In my community, I was 35 years old before I finally discovered someone doing what my dad talked about on Halloween. They were dealt with to the limits of the law.

My dad was as strict as they come, but we had Christmas and Halloween growing up. My children had Christmas and Halloween growing up, and my grandchildren are having Christmas and Halloween growing up. However, they are being taught just like I was taught, and they won't be participating in anything evil. As an example, my dad many times volunteered for the school carnival on Halloween, and he opened it in prayer. Many other holidays were started with devotions and prayer or church services and gatherings.

Just as another example, we many times celebrated New Year at church. We obviously didn't have any alcohol, and the entertainment was Bible reading, hymns, and all kinds of home baked pies, cookies, and cakes.

Just 2 cents worth.

In Christ,
Tom

Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2003, 10:39:56 PM »

Thank you BEP!

Psalm 118:8  1 John 4:1-3
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2003, 12:06:03 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Jabez,

You are most welcome. I just thought about something and have to give one more example. I remember people asking my dad when we celebrate Christmas. His answer was every day. They would usually ask a second question like, "you give each other presents every day?" Dad would say, "no, we celebrate Christ every day." I give the same answer.

I was taught both sides of the issue, and I taught both sides of the issue.

In Christ,
Tom

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2003, 01:37:04 AM »

Your all invited to my Halloween Party, dont forget to wear your masks you wear on sundays

Here brother...just let me...help you...get...that...telephone pole...out of...your...eye... Grin

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2003, 04:17:55 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

I'm really not trying to stir the pot or try to argue. Many things that we pay no attention to at all have pagan origins. It would truly be evil if we practiced as the pagans did for such events. Let me give you a couple of examples for thought.

The days of the week are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Each have a pagan origin dedicated to a god that is not Almighty God. Thursday is Thor. I don't wake up on Thursdays and worship Thor. I wake up every day worshiping Almighty God.

Easter, May Day, Valentines Day, Christmas, Halloween, and many other holidays have pagan origins. I can assure you that Easter Sunday at my church is used to worship Almighty God. The Easter rabbit and eggs are pagan symbols of fertility rituals practiced during the same time of the year. I didn't know that until I was 40 years old, but we always had Eastern egg hunts on Easter.

Wedding rings are a pagan ritual. My wife and I both wear one, but we view them as a token of a Holy vow made before God. We could really care less what the pagans thought about wedding rings. We've been married for over 30 years and kept our vows, not because of the rings.

Flowers at a funeral are a pagan ritual.

Many common items and customs we think nothing about are pagan.

And, yes, harvest festivals are pagan.

You would not believe the lengthy list of common items and customs that have pagan origins, but Christians don't worship those items or practice those customs in the manner or purpose the pagans did.

I wanted to mention one more thing and I'm hoping that nobody has hurt feelings about holidays. How many folks here believe they can with any degree of accuracy say that Jesus Christ was born on December 25th? By the way, birthday celebrations are pagan. I doubt I can prove it, but I don't think that Jesus Christ was born anywhere near December 25th. It doesn't matter to me because I celebrate Christ every day.

I was guessing there might be some hurt feelings in this thread after reading some of the messages, and I hope it doesn't turn out that way. If it is a matter of conscience and conviction not to observe a particular day, holiday, or custom, don't do it. If you are worshiping God that day and have no conviction of evil in what you are doing, so be it.

Love in Christ,
Tom

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2003, 07:50:19 AM »

A4c,

Do you believe Christians should particpate in Halloween? Yes or no?

Psalm 119

NO!  Grin

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2003, 08:04:06 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

I'm really not trying to stir the pot or try to argue. Many things that we pay no attention to at all have pagan origins. It would truly be evil if we practiced as the pagans did for such events. Let me give you a couple of examples for thought.

The days of the week are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Each have a pagan origin dedicated to a god that is not Almighty God. Thursday is Thor. I don't wake up on Thursdays and worship Thor. I wake up every day worshiping Almighty God.

Easter, May Day, Valentines Day, Christmas, Halloween, and many other holidays have pagan origins. I can assure you that Easter Sunday at my church is used to worship Almighty God. The Easter rabbit and eggs are pagan symbols of fertility rituals practiced during the same time of the year. I didn't know that until I was 40 years old, but we always had Eastern egg hunts on Easter.

Wedding rings are a pagan ritual. My wife and I both wear one, but we view them as a token of a Holy vow made before God. We could really care less what the pagans thought about wedding rings. We've been married for over 30 years and kept our vows, not because of the rings.

Flowers at a funeral are a pagan ritual.

Many common items and customs we think nothing about are pagan.

And, yes, harvest festivals are pagan.

You would not believe the lengthy list of common items and customs that have pagan origins, but Christians don't worship those items or practice those customs in the manner or purpose the pagans did.

I wanted to mention one more thing and I'm hoping that nobody has hurt feelings about holidays. How many folks here believe they can with any degree of accuracy say that Jesus Christ was born on December 25th? By the way, birthday celebrations are pagan. I doubt I can prove it, but I don't think that Jesus Christ was born anywhere near December 25th. It doesn't matter to me because I celebrate Christ every day.

I was guessing there might be some hurt feelings in this thread after reading some of the messages, and I hope it doesn't turn out that way. If it is a matter of conscience and conviction not to observe a particular day, holiday, or custom, don't do it. If you are worshiping God that day and have no conviction of evil in what you are doing, so be it.

Love in Christ,
Tom

Once again,I agree.!

Psalm 118:8  1 John 4:1-3
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2003, 09:17:52 AM »

Some verses that could be applied to the pagan holidays of the world that Christians get caught up in:

1 Corinthians 8

1.  Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.
 2.  And if any man think that he knoweth anything, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.
 3.  But if any man love God, the same is known of him.
 4.  As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.
 5.  For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)
 6.  But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.
 7.  Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.
 8.  But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.
 9.  But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.
 10.  For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols;
 11.  And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?
 12.  But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.
 13.  Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

1 Corinthians 10:27.  If any of them that believe not bid you to a feast, and ye be disposed to go; whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake.
 28.  But if any man say unto you, This is offered in sacrifice unto idols, eat not for his sake that shewed it, and for conscience sake: for the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof:
 29.  Conscience, I say, not thine own, but of the other: for why is my liberty judged of another man's conscience?
 30.  For if I by grace be a partaker, why am I evil spoken of for that for which I give thanks?
 31.  Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.
 32.  Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:
 33.  Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.

Romans 14

1.  Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
 2.  For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
 3.  Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
 4.  Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
 5.  One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
 6.  He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
 7.  For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.
 8.  For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.
 9.  For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.
 10.  But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
 11.  For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
 12.  So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.
 13.  Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.
 14.  I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
 15.  But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.
 16.  Let not then your good be evil spoken of:
 17.  For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
 18.  For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men.
 19.  Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.
 20.  For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.
 21.  It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
 22.  Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
 23.  And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

When a child I never knew of Halloween being of the devil etc., etc.. It was a fun time for kids, dressing up and trying to guess who one another was, and going out and begging door to door for treats. It was all innocent and not like today.

Pagan holidays, Halloween, Christmas, Easter, etc., etc. should be avoided by Christians because of the worldliness that can come from them.

Because of the insinuation that might keep someone from coming to Christ and because it could cause a weaker brother/sister to stumble in the faith.
However a Christian is at liberty to partake of them as long as it does not violate personal faith or a brother/sister's faith and is not to the original intent. Some of the above quoted verses attest to this.

The Lord said we should observe His death as oft we can in remembrance of it till He comes again. This is what Christians should celebrate and as oft they can.

Love in Him,
Ollie

Support your local Christian.
Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2003, 10:22:56 AM »

After reading some of these posts ,this Scripture came to my mind.

""Will you steal, murder, commit adultery,swear falsely, burn incense to Baal, AND WALK AFTER OTHER GODS WHOM YOU DO NOT KNOW (emph mine), and then come and stand before Me in this house which is called by My name, and say: WE ARE DELLIVERED TO DO ALL THESE ABOMINATIONS?" Has this house, which is called by My name become a den of thieves, in your eyes? Behold I, even I, have seen it, sdays the Lord."

Jeremiah 7:9-11

Dear friends,

Have you read the book of Jeremiah.....do you know why God brought judgement on Israel.....Killing them by the sword, famine, and carrying them off to Babylon? Do you know what their sin was? Simply put....they appeared to be religious, attending "Church", but their hearts went after other gods . Yes, they proclaimed we are Abraham's children, ("Christians") but their hearts were not given wholly to the Lord. Women worshipped the Queen of Heaven (Mary), "God's people" were sacrificing their children to Molech, and worshipping other pagan deities.

Has anything changed in the year of 2003?

Psalm 119
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the