Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:39:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286777 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Welcome
| |-+  About You! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Hello, I am new here
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello, I am new here  (Read 179426 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: December 15, 2010, 07:04:14 PM »

Hello Islandboy,

It's nice to hear from you. It sounds really cold there. We've had a few doses of cold here, but nothing that drastic. Here we're averaging in the high 40s during the day and the low 30s at night (but no snow or ice yet). Your description of the guy clearing the ice sounds like he was an expert, and I'll guess those wheels have left the ground more than once. I've watched them work before and don't know how they do it, considering they can't see what's beneath all that snow and ice. I hope that you have the right weather gear if you have to go out.

Things have also gotten pretty cold in parts of Florida for a change. My son is in North Carolina now, and it's colder in Florida than where he is. -- All of that global warming at work.

Try to stay warm, and MERRY CHRISTMAS to you also.

islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: February 26, 2011, 09:57:27 PM »

Hello there, It is about 22 degrees and getting colder. We are in the mist of another big snowstorm. I am managing to stay warm by staying home most of time and dressing in layers when I go out. This has been one of the coldest winters on record up here in northern PA, and of course this is the time I chose to move back home. All my friends in south FL have been feeling sorry for me.
However, I am learning to cope with it all and think I am breathing much cleaner air up here in the mountains.
Hope your doing well Tom and Pastor Roger, keeping warm and safe.
Trying to get back into habit of visiting here, but room where computer is located feels like a iceberg most of the time. I slip on-line check e-mails and get off before I freeze. I am looking for a better place to live but so far nothing I can afford. I keep looking up cause all the news I hear is so sad and depressed that I ca only hope and pray it is time for our Lord's return. Blessings to all who post here.

Be not weary in your serving; Do your best for those in need; Kindness will be rewarded by the Lord who prompts the deed.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 26, 2011, 10:41:16 PM »

Hello Islandboy,

It's nice to hear from you. Yes, many portions of the country have had spells of bitter cold, including my home. In fact, we had two snow and ice storms just recently. Here, we've had numerous times of drastic temperature changes between winter storms. We're expecting another one any time, and it's been in the 70s during the daytime leading up to this. 70s in the day and 30s - 40s at night. I wish the weather would make up its mind. We've been fortunate and managed to keep our electricity this time, so we've stayed pretty warm with sub-zero weather just recently.

Reference that cold spot where your computer is, it sounds like you need to get one of those small space heaters to put under your desk. I understand how miserable it is to work at a computer in the cold.

Yes, the news around the world is pretty sad and bad, but for Christians that simply means closer to going home. You used one of my favorite thoughts - KEEP LOOKING UP! If we get depressed over world events, it should be for the lost. I love to think about God's Promises to us every day and know that OUR TIME is growing nearer - what a day of rejoicing that will be!

I hope that you are well, and you asked about me. I have my illness, but I'm not complaining. I give thanks to be stabilized and really doing pretty well. In reflection, I have much more to give thanks for.

Please do try to stay warm and remember that spring is just around the corner now. I'll be praying about you finding a better place to stay. Please keep us posted if there is anything else we need to pray for. In the meantime - KEEP LOOKING UP!

Love In Christ,
Tom

islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: September 05, 2011, 08:54:41 PM »

I am not so new here, but I have been away for a long time (120) days according to your notice. Seems I am busy all the time, but not getting much done. I had to move this Spring, as I froze at old apartment all winter. A month after I moved a wall of bricks fell off my old apartment building and lo and behold there was nothing behind them and very little mortar between them. No plywood and no insulation. No wonder I froze. Anyways new apartment much nicer except it's third floor with way to many stairs. Just about kills my old knees climbing them. That is my update on living conditions.
As Tom says "keep looking up", with all the terrible weather conditions all around the country and all the fighting going on all around the world would seem that the time is drawing nearer. Poor folk are getting poorer, and finding it harder to make ends meet. While the rich waste so much money on foolishness. Can only hope and pray our sweet Lord is on His way, for I often feel I don't fit in this world where the bad guys win and the good just seem to suffer in the wake of it all.
Younger people have no respect or compassion for others. Things we did when younger have been ruled old-fashioned. The thought of just helping someone out of the goodness of your heart is hard to come by. I hardly knew my hometown for all the changes. This town used to help people who were down and out. Now they feel sorry for you but have no desire to try and help. It is a sad state of affairs and I don't know how to change it back. Any ideas out there?
Wanted to say a big hello all and let you know I have missed being here. Hope you will welcome me back after my long time away. May God Bless You and I hope you are all well and safe.

Be not weary in your serving; Do your best for those in need; Kindness will be rewarded by the Lord who prompts the deed.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: September 05, 2011, 09:26:59 PM »

Hello Islandboy,

It's great to hear from you, we've missed you. I'm sorry to hear that you've had such a hard time, but I'm happy that you got a nicer place to live. WELCOME BACK!

This world is like a runaway train plummeting downhill into evil and chaos. Yes, I think this world is ripe for God to usher in the Tribulation Period. I also think that the time is growing near for Christ to Rapture His Church Home to glory. As Christians, we can pray each day for God's Grace, His Provision, strength, and His Will for us. We can also pray for each other, and I will be praying for you. We can anxiously await His Glorious Appearance and my favorite saying:  KEEP LOOKING UP!

1 Corinthians 15:50-58  Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.  51  Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,  52  In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.  53  For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.  54  So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.  55  O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?  56  The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.  57  But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.  58  Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18  13  But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.  14  For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.  15  For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.  16  For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:  17  Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.  18  Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

Love In Christ,
Tom

islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: September 06, 2011, 02:16:07 PM »

Seems some of you have changed your names and I am having a hardtime figuring out who is who. How have you all faired as far as the weather goes. Between tornadoes and floods, windstorms and hurricanes, and earthquakes and fires, there isn't many places out there left untouched. The farmers this year are having a tough time with crops and hay for animals, and caring for those animals. Saw a sign today on the road that said "No Farmers, No Food". That is so very true. I think soon we will be having food shortages for all the crops that have been destroyed this summer. So now is a good time to stock up before winter. Have plenty of food and water and paper products on hand, plus take good care and stay safe.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: September 06, 2011, 02:43:14 PM »

Yes, some of us did change user names. My previous user name was Blackeyedpeas, but I'm still Tom. Soldier4Christ used to be Pastor Roger.

Seems some of you have changed your names and I am having a hardtime figuring out who is who. How have you all faired as far as the weather goes. Between tornadoes and floods, windstorms and hurricanes, and earthquakes and fires, there isn't many places out there left untouched. The farmers this year are having a tough time with crops and hay for animals, and caring for those animals. Saw a sign today on the road that said "No Farmers, No Food". That is so very true. I think soon we will be having food shortages for all the crops that have been destroyed this summer. So now is a good time to stock up before winter. Have plenty of food and water and paper products on hand, plus take good care and stay safe.

I live in Oklahoma, and our part of the country has suffered severe drought. Our farmers and ranchers have had a really hard time. Texas is in the same boat, and both states have suffered through almost countless wildfires. Our latest one was just miles away and they just got it under control. In terms of crops, all were lost unless the farmer had a well and was able to irrigate. The stock ponds dried up and ranchers had to haul water for cattle. There was also a problem raising feed so feed had to be bought. As a result, many of the ranchers sold their cattle because they just couldn't afford them. I know that most of Oklahoma and Texas are suffering, but I don't know about surrounding states. Many of the farmers and ranchers did lose nearly everything. In short, it's been a hard year, and the drought continues. There are huge wildfires going as we speak in both states, and I'm sure that all would appreciate your prayers. I think that the worst fires are in Texas right now. I'm sure these conditions will effect the food supply, but I don't know how much.

You're right - there has been a lot of disasters this year, and there's more to come. It could be signs of the times. I personally think that the times we're living in are just before the ushering in of the Tribulation Period. I also believe that the Rapture could happen at any time. As Christians, the only thing I know to do is pray and try to do God's Will until He comes to take us home. In the meantime - KEEP LOOKING UP! I'm anxiously awaiting His Glorious Appearance. We can also pray for and encourage each other. May God give us strength and guidance.

Love In Christ,
Tom

islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 30, 2011, 11:01:57 PM »

I was wondering, what does the Bible say about loneliness? I thought moving home was the right thing to do, but I am finding I am just as lonely here as I was in Florida. Sure I have a few friends and family, but seeing them and spending time with them is few and far between. I often feel like I was born on another planet and no one cares whether I am here or not. I spend my days helping others, but come home to my apartment where no one ever visits or calls me unless they need something. It's not that I feel sorry for myself. I just have this yearning for someone who cares enough to spend sometime with me. I have spent many hours reading my Bible and praying about this, but this sadness only goes away for a short spell, then comes roaring back.
As I write this I almost feel foolish for sharing my burden here. But I have always valued your friendships and I know that your words will give me some cheer for a little while. Are people as swamped in their lives as they say or is it just a easy excuse, a way of saying no I have no time for you without really saying those words?
I think I should stop writing this here for I know my help comes from the Lord, but He has not arrived yet. Wishing you all a pleasent evening and a goodnight.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: October 01, 2011, 01:01:53 AM »

I do understand. I'm retired, disabled, and I don't get out very much. You know that the Bible says that we're never alone - God is always with us. Please don't feel bad about sharing because I can guarantee you that we all have those thoughts from time to time. I don't know what your health situation is. If you're healthy enough to get out when you want to, I might suggest some activities with your church and some volunteering for something worthwhile. I do volunteer work, but I do it from home on my computer. It would be better for me to get out and be with others, but my health is a major factor. I know others who volunteer for hospitals and rest homes, and they find it very rewarding. This was just a couple of ideas to brighten the day of others and get some brightening yourself.

Meanwhile - keep looking up and know that you will be in my prayers.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: October 01, 2011, 07:45:55 AM »

Hello islandboy,

I, too, understand. You said that you spend your time helping others and that is a great thing to do. I do just that also. We have to remember to take some time for ourselves though while we are at it. May I suggest that you find a way to not only help others but to do so in places where you might be able to develop friendships with others. Naturally your church is the first place but there are others in addition to the ones Brother Tom mentioned such as Senior Citizens Centers and Veterans Centers, a lot of times you don't have to be a member of either in order to volunteer to help out with their activities and often friendships can be found there with others that are also experiencing what you are.

My prayers will also be with you.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: October 01, 2011, 08:56:55 PM »

I know my post sort of sounds like I don't do much, but my days are filled with helping my mother and volunteering my time talking with the elderly folks I see on the street and doing what I can to help others. Once while visiting at our local senior center an older man walked up to me and ask if I would make him a apple pie. My mother was with me and she asked "Who is he?" And "Why did he pick you?" I told her  I did not know him and things like this happen to me all the time. And yes, I made the man a pie and delievered it to him free of charge. I have put my name in different places to volunteer, but my top priority is helping my mother. It is when I return home that the lonely times set in. A lot of my friends are elderly or young and married with husband and children to care for. I guess since I am disabled it is hard to get out and do the things people my age do. Plus no car of my own does not help. This town is  small that the biggest entertainment around is bars of which I do not enter. So yes I am left with my church which is small and filled with young families. I don't know what else to say this is starting to sound like a pity party but I don't want it to be nor do I feel that way. I am trying very hard to be content in my life, but sometimes it is harder than I would want it to be. Thanks for your words of encouragement. i will take them to heart and do some more praying. Hope you all had a really good day.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: October 01, 2011, 09:53:23 PM »

Hello Islandboy,

I'm glad to hear that you're volunteering and spending some time with the elderly. We could probably take our own situations and multiply it by 5 and have something close to the feelings of the elderly in rest homes. Many of their own kids live far away or otherwise don't visit very often. I think that the bottom line is that we all have feelings like this from time to time. I must also add that helping your mother is something that you will never regret. My own mother is 90 years old, and I know that I don't do nearly as much as I should with her. You just made me think of this. The difference with my mother is that she's in excellent health and is away volunteering herself at one of the local hospitals. She's a busy lady and we almost need an appointment to see her.   Wink

One thing we can all do regardless of health is pray each day that God will direct us into the path he wants for us. If He sends us, He will equip us for whatever it is. We can also pray for things that will fulfill us, and we just might be surprised at what God will provide. AND, we can keep each other in our prayers. May God give us the strength and guidance to do His Will each day and rely on Him to provide for all of our needs.

KEEP LOOKING UP!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: October 02, 2011, 09:13:58 AM »

I don't take it in the least bit as a pity party. I saw it as a need that needed answers. We are all people that have needs that we want and even need to be filled. It is a situation that many people find themselves in. For those of us that help others such experiences seem to help give us more understanding and compassion as well as more drive to keep us going in helping those that we reach out to.

It is possible to be surrounded by people both day and night and still feel lonely. I have felt that myself in the past and I see it in the eyes of some of those that are in nursing homes and hospitals. It is possible to be in a nation that has plenty of food going to waste to go hungry. It is possible to be physically handicapped even though there is no visible sign of a handicap to others, even to Doctors and Nurses. Many of these people of all these situations and more feel lonely in one way or another and for different reasons. It touched my heart when I read that you had given a simple thing like an apple pie to a man you didn't know. In doing so you helped another at least a little bit by showing him that someone cared, that he was not completely alone.

May our Heavenly Father continue to bless you.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: October 20, 2011, 11:41:34 PM »

Thank you for all the nice comments. Things are improving. i am often now so busy helping my mom I have little time to think of me. And I am going to church and helping out where ever I can otherwise. I have found some little jobs to keep me busy that help others as well, so life is good at this point and time.
The weather is colder now. Daytime highs are in the 60's and nighttime lows in the 40's. We had one morning a week or so ago where we awoke to a small scattering of light snow. We all prayed that it was just a mistake or something. No snow yet please. Smiley  The leaves are really beautiful this fall. Reds and yellows, oranges and coppers, and a few golds and greens. Mom and I comment each time we are out in the car that we would love to have a sweater with all those colors intertwined. I hope all is well with everyone on this forum and that your all healthy and keeping warm.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: October 21, 2011, 02:19:01 PM »

Hello Islandboy,

I'm happy to hear that things are going better. We've had spurts of cooler weather here, but our average temps are still in the high 60s and 70s. We also have less trees here than you do where you live. We're in the middle of a drought, the worst one I can remember in my life.

I've seen pictures of your area of the country during the fall, and it's gorgeous. Enjoy!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the