Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:34:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Firefox 2.0.0.2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Firefox 2.0.0.2  (Read 6074 times)
Joey

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2007, 03:34:23 PM »

Joey this is weird if I use IE I can see the animations, if I use Mozilla I can't. I am going to have my husband look at it and fix it for me. He's an IT and I know he's going to tell me I don't need both browsers ...yada yady yada yada... so I haven't said anything to him yet.  Grin Roll Eyes Shocked

Sorry i didn't see this sooner. If your still having probs, try this. Open Firefox and go to tools menu > options > content > load images automatically > exceptions (button) and see if you've accidentally told Firefox not to load images from christian unite and if so, remove the site from the list > okay and reload the page and see if it helps.... Its so easy to accidentally block images on a web site.
IDGM
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2007, 01:58:59 PM »

I had all kinds of problems when I downloaded IE7.  I deleted it and went back to the previous version for times when I have no choice.  I use Firefox 98% of the time.  I also use Opera some.  I would love to switch to Linux, but not sure I have the computer knowledge to do so (or the patience.  Wink)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2007, 03:00:01 AM »

I had all kinds of problems when I downloaded IE7.  I deleted it and went back to the previous version for times when I have no choice.  I use Firefox 98% of the time.  I also use Opera some.  I would love to switch to Linux, but not sure I have the computer knowledge to do so (or the patience.  Wink)

Hello IDGM,

I think that you and I are in the same boat right now. I used to think that I was fairly computer literate, but many of the problems today are beyond me. I am also thinking very heavily about switching to Linux RIGHT NOW. I'm zeroed in on Ubuntu Christian mainly because it is geared specifically for Christians. One of the high points for me is that it allows the use of e-Sword Bible Study Software. e-Sword is number one on my favorite list to use every day. It's only been recently that Linux became a possible OS for e-Sword. e-Sword requires a database for a core, and a new Linux database called "Wine" recently made it possible to run e-Sword on Linux.

I think this would be great for a discussion topic. Ubuntu Christian Linux is FREE, so this topic is fine, just as e-Sword is FREE. I've been doing a lot of reading about Ubuntu Christian, and it appears that they are doing everything they can to make it easy to switch. There's also a regular version of Ubuntu that's also FREE, but all versions of it are getting rave reviews. I'm investigating this very seriously right now. I'll write a lengthy review on the forum if I make the change.

I am personally having nightmares with Microsoft products right now, and I've had just about all I want. If the nightmares continue, they might as well be with Linux. BUT, everything I hear indicates that nightmares with Linux are rare. You might not get to use all of your favorite software, but it will at least WORK!

barelahh
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2007, 08:01:23 AM »

I think that you and I are in the same boat right now. I used to think that I was fairly computer literate, but many of the problems today are beyond me. I am also thinking very heavily about switching to Linux RIGHT NOW. I'm zeroed in on Ubuntu Christian mainly because it is geared specifically for Christians. One of the high points for me is that it allows the use of e-Sword Bible Study Software. e-Sword is number one on my favorite list to use every day. It's only been recently that Linux became a possible OS for e-Sword. e-Sword requires a database for a core, and a new Linux database called "Wine" recently made it possible to run e-Sword on Linux.
Ok, color me confused or something, what is the difference between unbuntu and unbuntu christian???  I use Unix all the time and know of unbuntu and don't know what the difference would be.  A Unix Os is a Os is a Os.

Wine however is a old program that emulates windows and runs some windows programs like Esword in a window that acts like windows OS.  Thats kool Smiley  The Database engines of unix are usually various open source ones and thats where Esword will benefit by exporting their databases to a opensource one.

Just a word to the wise, Unbuntu does not work on all computers, make sure it does work on yours before formatting your drive and attempting install. iF i am not mistaken, you can make a bootable CD of it and try to boot that CD. If it works, its probable that it will work on your hardware. 
I run Fedora 64 on mine. 

I am personally having nightmares with Microsoft products right now, and I've had just about all I want. If the nightmares continue, they might as well be with Linux. BUT, everything I hear indicates that nightmares with Linux are rare. You might not get to use all of your favorite software, but it will at least WORK![/b]
I'll tell ya, one of the finest easiest installations of Unix i have ever seen was Caldera but you have to pay for that if its still available.
Either way you will also have to relearn how to install new programs as they do it differently in unix than they do in windows.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2007, 10:12:16 AM »

Hello Barelahh,

I didn't say that I understood all of this Linux stuff, but I am trying to learn what I can. You can read some about the Christian Version of Ubuntu here:

http://www.christianubuntu.com/

From everything I can understand, this is a very active development and there are numerous versions that are past, current, alpha, and beta. I would opt for the current most stable version. There are also many different versions of "Wine" and various components of popular Linux installations - again past, current, alpha, and beta versions. I understand that the differences between many of them is in the GUI. Tremendous progress has been made with Linux in the past few years, and there is considerable differences between various versions.

The most common thing that they share is that most of them can be downloaded without spending a penny. Costs associated with some of them are for packaging and documentation. I really don't care about fancy packaging, and I would rather have my documentation on the computer than in book form.

There are even several different versions of Ubuntu Christian from what I understand. I'm still looking into this, but I think this comes ready to install with e-Sword, and Internet Nanny for children, and other features that Christians should appreciate. They even have an auto-install package from what I understand and an active community that will provide all of the help needed by new users. Several sites will even mail a FREE CD to you at no charge if you are willing to wait for it. I will probably opt for something much faster and try to get a completely legal copy from someone who already has it. I don't have very much money, but I do try to support developers of FREE software that I really like to use. The FREE e-Sword Bible Study Package is one example. e-Sword is supposed to be in the Ubuntu install package, along with "Wine" and everything set for an easy installation of e-Sword and other FREE Christian Software.

If I didn't explain this very well, use the link and take a look. I at least tried.

Love In Christ,
Tom

John 17:11 NASB  "I am no longer in the world; and yet they themselves are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep them in Your name, the name which You have given Me, that they may be one even as We are.

islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2007, 06:48:21 PM »

Since your talking about FoxFire, this seemed to be a good place to ask this question. Is there a add-on for it that gives you a way to increase the word sizes on a page you wish to read??
 On my internet explorer browser page i have a little magnifying glass in bottom right hand corner that lets me increase the page words to 125-150, so I can read it without eye-strain.

Be not weary in your serving; Do your best for those in need; Kindness will be rewarded by the Lord who prompts the deed.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2007, 07:19:44 PM »

There is a function under the view button that does allow you to change the text size, but there currently is no magnifier for firefox that I have seen. The Firefox web site doesn't know of one either. There are several commercial ones that will work with Firefox. Those are fairly expensive from what I've seen.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2007, 06:11:24 AM »

Hello Brothers,

I'm experimenting with this problem right now. I found a few surprises after changing operating systems and getting away from older software. I've never used screen resolutions above 800 x 600 before, but you have to if you want to use recent software. So, going to 1024 x 768 was a pretty big shock for me. It changes everything. Firefox is capable of making the fonts as big as you want them, but everything starts looking strange beyond a certain point.

I'm experimenting with "User Style Sheets", and this does work with several popular browsers, including Firefox, Opera, and a few others. "User Style Sheets" also effect everything else, but they do give you a lot of choices - all the way down to selecting fonts.

I'll give everyone a laugh about my changing screen resolutions. I really didn't want to change to the higher resolution, so I tried a few programs that weren't designed to work in a resolution as low as 800 x 600.  I couldn't even see parts of the configuration menus, so I changed the resolution temporarily to  1024 x 768 to get the configurations done and changed back to what I really wanted - 800 x 600. Should I go ahead and tell you that many things disappear in those programs that are designed for 1024 x 768 and higher.   Grin

Needless to say, I have to use 1024 x 768 or not use the programs. Most of the programmers now view 800 x 600 as stone age stuff, and it's being phased out by nearly everyone. Old guys like me will just have to change, so I am trying to change. That doesn't mean that I have to like it.   Grin

I'm also experimenting with accessibility features that are available in most operating systems. They also effect everything. SO, most folks still have quite a bit of older software that works fine under 800 x 600 with good visibility because they were designed for that resolution or lower. You mix in the newer software that was designed for 1024 x 768 or higher, and you get some interesting problems. This is where "User Style Sheets" come to the rescue. Many programs will work with "User Style Sheets" and you can set individual programs for whatever you want, but they are a lot of work. If I remember correctly, they have sites for Firefox to help users do this quicker and with less work. You look at the effects of each change, decide if it's going to help or not, and either keep or discard the change. Many programs use "User Style Sheets" whether they tell you about them or not. Many of them do have a file extension of ".uss", so you can look in the program's main directories and find out. If you want to play with these, do yourself a favor and keep the old style sheets so you can go back to them if needed.

I'm curious, how many folks with problems seeing are still using the older 800 x 600 resolution? I ask this because 800 x 600 is larger everything, and there are fewer visibility problems in the lower resolutions.

Love In Christ,
Tom

islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2007, 09:36:08 AM »

Acually my screen is set at 1152 x 864. I can read items at most sites and christiansunite just fine. My problem is often in reading news articles and on blogs and other sites I go to. Since it does not apply to all sites, that is the beauty of the little magnifier tool. I use Foxfire on occaison but would like to use it more often.

Another thought came to me. Is there a way to save a page in Foxfire. To print I go to the file menu and click on print. But I went to save a page the other day and could find no way to do this in Foxfire. Any ideas or am I missing something??

Be not weary in your serving; Do your best for those in need; Kindness will be rewarded by the Lord who prompts the deed.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2007, 09:50:13 AM »

Good Morning IslandBoy,

Yes, you are missing some things. Firefox actually has many ways to save web sites in files, and it will also print them. I've used Firefox back and forth between two different operating systems recently, so I hope that I tell you right. I think that the print commands are on the far left under the "File" menu. Many versions of Firefox also have a print icon already on the main menu. You will probably have to configure the printer for Firefox the first time you use it.

One of my favorite add-ons for Firefox is ScrapBook. You highlight whatever portion of a web site you want and save it to your ScrapBook. You can categorize the captures, and all of the captures can be searched for fast retrieval later. The interesting part is that ScrapBook saves what you see in the same format, yet it can all be searched. Retrieving an item in a search results in showing an exact duplicate of what you captured, colors and all.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2007, 10:47:34 AM »

There is also a function available in the right click menu for saving pages. This saves them in a file of your choosing. It saves the entire web page though included any advertisement and icons into separate places in the same main file.

I have also used the highlight function for saving portions of a page then pasting it into another program like WordPad. That is rather a lengthy process though and it is easier using the add-on that Brother Tom mentioned.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the