Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:16:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286802 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Why does the devil hate tongues?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why does the devil hate tongues?  (Read 4244 times)
ProphetBob

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2007, 09:06:55 AM »

They edify young Christians
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 09:42:15 AM »

I see that you are another one that is stuck on the gift of tongues. The Bible tells us that edification is better achieved through other means than speaking in tongues. Speaking in tongues is best for self edification as I have already showed you through God's word in another thread.

To edify means to instruct and improve especially in moral and religious knowledge. What better way is there to edify than to instruct in a language that others can fully understand.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 04:36:54 PM »

Agreed there.

The Bible tells us that if you are to speak in tongues then you had best have a translator or two.  That way what you say is understandable to all who are listening.  This also shows that Paul was teaching that if what is spoken is not a language then it is gibberish.  And a language is defined as something that more than one person is able to understand and interpret. 

Speaking in tongues as shown in the Bible is true, because the Bible defines tongues as different languages that are known to many.  Speaking in an unknown tongue is gibberish and not of sound Biblical doctrine.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 02:43:30 PM »

Amen brother. It is very important to have an interpreter and one that is actually able to interpret and not just pretend to. The devil loves this practice in some of todays churches because it is easy to confuse, deceive and even to mock or curse God with it's use. All of this with people, including the tongue user, to not even be aware of what is being done.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
ProphetBob

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 03:55:37 PM »

Jerry
Your whole premise is based on giving
two meanings to one Greek word.
If that is not double tongued I do not know what is.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 04:13:47 PM »

Brother Jerry's premise is very Biblical and not double tongued at all. If a person speaks in a tongue that is not known to any man at all then it is complete gibberish. When the Bible speaks of "unknown tongues" it is speaking of a language that is not necessarily known to speaker, a language that was not naturally acquired by that person.

I have asked you twice in another thread and so far haven't received an answer so I'll try again here:

Why do you use the word prophet in your user name?

davidoldham
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 08:43:43 PM »

There was a man while he was in the army who spoke in tongues, and he used it in in preaching the gospel to this other unbeliever who was Jewish, and had spoke Hebrew.  By this man speaking in tongues to the unbeliever, the unbeliever understood the tongues, and heard it in his own language, and as a result, got saved, and accepted Jesus Christ as his Saviour and Lord in his heart.
Jimacki

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 12:02:09 AM »

I do not believe the devil hates tongues or any other gift but rather he impersonates gifts. To expound on my meaning .... I knew a man who had a rough life he was very  bitter, angry and hateful toward everyone. I has never meet someone this angry at the world before. I tried to be a friend to him and discuss the gospel, I was shock to find out he claimed to be a Christian and a church goer. I went to a few services with him and at ever service this man would speak in tongues, every service. And with out fail as we left church he would find someone or something to get angry about. He never stopped letting anger and bitterness of his past rule his life and yet to this day he still speaks in tongues. He also left the church because they would not let him be a part of the band there.
This man, I believe, God use to expound 1 Corinthians 13 to me... Its not the gift that is anything but have we got the love of Christ in our hearts for others, even our enemies.
If any has been to a pow-wow or any native American ceremony they also can speak in tongues. Remember Rev.13:13-14 He can do great wonders to deceive those that dwell on the earth. Yes Satan can and does impersonate gifts and only love is the only thing he cannot impersonate he can try to pervert it, but that is for another study. God bless and with love brother Jim.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 12:32:24 AM »

I don't find it a coincidence that I have been writing an article on just that very same thing that you put so simply and yet so eloquently.

There is a difference between the use of glossolalia and the use of Xenoglossy. Xenoglossy is the phenomenon of uttering intelligible words of a language unknown to the speaker. This is what occurred frequently with the Apostles. The Apostles would also speak in one language (their own) yet others heard it in their own respective languages which were several varied languages. Glossolalia on the other hand is fabricated and nonmeaningful speech, especially such speech associated with a trance state or certain schizophrenic syndromes. It is vocalization that sounds languagelike but is devoid of semantic meaning or syntax. It is frequently repetitious in nature. It is easy to deceive people in the use of glossolalia as most people do not recognize the lack of semantic meaning or syntax in these utterances and can confuse it with xenoglossy.

It is interesting to note that glossolalia* is not a phenomenon confined to certain groups that claim to be Christians. Pagan religions throughout the world are frenzied with tongues. This is reflected in an article in the Journal of the American Scientific Affiliation entitled "An Ethnological Study of Glossolalia" by George J. Jennings, March 1968. Jennings observes that glossolalia is practiced amoung the following non-Christian religions of the world; the Peyote cult among the North American Indians, the Haida Indians of the Pacific Northwest, Shamans in the Sudan, the Shango cult of the West Coast of Africa, the Shago cult in Trinidad, the Voodoo cult in Haiti, the Aborigines of South American and Australia, the aboriginal peoples of the subarctic regions of North America and Asia, the Shamans in Greenland, the Dyaks of Borneo, the Zor cult of Ethiopia, the Siberian shamans, the Chaco Indians of South America, the Curanderos of the Andes, the Kinka in the African Sudan, the Thonga shamans of Africa, and the Tibetan monks. Certainly we wouldn't attribute Glossolalia in these heathen religions to the work of the holy Spirit.

Perhaps Behavioral Scientists are correct in saying that much of tongues-speaking has a natural explanation. However, this much is observable - when a person has experienced tongues he is absolutely convinced as to the scripturalness of his experience and the correctness of his doctrinal beliefs. Hence the traditional Pentecostal insists on the correctness of the "second blessing." The theologically liberal Protestant who speaks in tongues feels that his doubt in the inspiration of the Bible is vindicated. Catholic Pentecostals testify that the charismatic experience has deepened their devotion to Mary. A glossolalic experience convinces Mormons that their brand of Christianity is right, etc. Thus, while tongues may not be directly caused by Satan, yet it can be used by him as an effective means of sidetracking sincere Christians. The following scriptures reveal that one of the signs of the end of the world or age would be the phenomenal working deceptions of Satan in the Church. "For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect." Mat 24:24

"Even his, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie." 2 Thes. 2:9-11

Satan's involvement cannot be ruled out as part of the deceptive wonders at the end of the age.

When it comes to gifts of the Holy Spirit we need not concentrate on these gifts and go seeking for them. We should be concentrating on spreading the Gospel and leave it up to the Holy Spirit to guide us and to determine what gifts if any are of a necessity for us to do God's work.

ibTina
Gold Member

Keep your eyes on JESUS!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 08:04:01 AM »

This man, I believe, God use to expound 1 Corinthians 13 to me... Its not the gift that is anything but have we got the love of Christ in our hearts for others, even our enemies.

AMEN!!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the