Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:28:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Internet's behind-the-scenes protectors foil attack
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Internet's behind-the-scenes protectors foil attack  (Read 1935 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2007, 04:37:58 AM »

Internet's behind-the-scenes protectors foil attack

A hacker attack on the Internet failed this week — but experts warn there could be more to come.

Three of the 13 computers that help direct all Internet traffic were hit with a flood of data requests Tuesday. Although it's not yet clear where the torrent came from, it was most likely designed to overwhelm the computers, says Peter Reiher, a professor at UCLA's engineering school.

Hackers commonly use this approach, called a denial of service attack, to cause computers to slow down or crash.

If the attack had been successful, Internet traffic might have slowed to a crawl. But the technical groups that quietly run the Internet behind the scenes have built a system designed to reroute traffic during an attack. It appeared to have worked, since few users noticed any slowdown, says Edward Naughton, a Boston-based lawyer at Holland & Knight who specializes in Internet issues.

"It's an indication that the system is well designed," he says.

But that does not mean it is foolproof, says Avi Silberschatz, head of Yale's computer science department. In a worst-case scenario, the attack may have been a small-scale assault designed to test the vulnerability of the system, he says. The unknown hackers "may be thinking about something big," he says. On the other hand, "It may have just been kids," he says.

Hackers launch denial of service attacks by taking over thousands of everyday PCs that don't have adequate anti-virus and other protections installed. Then they redirect all that computing power toward the targeted computer. It's not difficult for someone with midlevel computer knowledge to do, Reiher says. That's one reason denial of service attacks are so dangerous.

No one organization is in charge of keeping the Internet safe and running smoothly.

A hodgepodge of technical groups runs the Net behind the scenes in partnership with governments and corporations. This arrangement is not without controversy. Several key governance groups, including the Marina del Rey, Calif.-based Internet Corp. for Assigned Names and Numbers, have ties to the U.S. government. The relationships are linked to the Internet's roots as a Defense Department-funded university research project.

At a United Nations Internet conference in October, many other countries called for more worldwide involvement in Internet governance. So did Yoshio Utsumi, a U.N. telecommunications official.

But this week's unsuccessful attack is an indication that the current administration is keeping the Net working well, Naughton says. "We weren't just lucky," he says.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 04:42:12 AM »

I noticed a significant slow down in loading web pages that day. I thought there was something wrong with my own computer or ISP. I had called my ISP and they said there was no problem so I worked on my computer for about two hours cleaning and troubleshooting it. It would be nice if something like this was reported more readily.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the