Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:11:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286796 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  BE YE KIND, ONE TO ANOTHER
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BE YE KIND, ONE TO ANOTHER  (Read 1061 times)
livingbyfaith

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2007, 06:47:56 AM »

At the High Rise, two different groups of kindergarten kids marched into the High Rise where I live, to introduce us to the International Acts of Kindness Day.  At 10 A.m. a group of 67 little ones marched in to the High Rise Community Room.  They behaved very nicely---no shouting or shoving.  They put their whole heart in singing three songs.  I watched the expressions on their little innocent faces.  Theirbig smiles showed they really enjoyed what they were doing.

They presented us with a pot of beautiful lilac mums that can be planted and will bloom every year.  Then at random they gave colorful paper flowers (which they had made) to the residents.  I put mine---a whole bouquet---into a plastic container to remind me of the different colors any act of kindness can show.   In the afternoon, another group did the same. 

It was a lesson to be learned.  So many times kind acts are just passed over as something owed to us.  I began to look around and take note of any kindness shown to another or to me, whether big or small.  All sorts of people are gathered here in the High rise.  Some you like; some you don’t particularly care for. (Do something kind for them. They may become your friend.  They usually are hurting people.)   A good bit of the time, conversation runs to physical complaints, disagreements between individuals and mostly topped with “juicy” gossip. There is even some downright hatred of one another.  They can’t stay in the same room.  These are people at their worst and best and some in between. 

All through the Bible you read about the kindness of God.  Jesus also showed kindness.  We should try to follow in his footsteps and do the same.  This won’t be my usual writing but instances of kind acts I have observed. One little act of kindness can make a difference in another person’s life.   

I was doing my grocery shopping early in the morning.   A young man was stocking some shelves.  He greeted me with a big genuine
smile and a “Good Morning to you.  How are you today?”  Of course that brought a big smile to my face, a lovely way to start my day.  I stopped to talk with him.  I told him I bet he made a lot of people
happy for the day or even just  a few minutes.

I told him I lived in a High Rise and about our visit by the little folks.  .  He said his Dad had to put his mother in a home.  He visits her every day. He too has a kind word for everyone and especially those who never get visitors.  They all look forward to seeing
 him.  He talks to them and jokes with them.  That little bit of time where they feel as though they are important to someone, will see them through another day.  This is so pathetic, but true.  My daughter spends a couple hours visiting a few patients in a hospice.
They are getting to know her and look forward to her short visit. 

When you retire from a job, your life and work is not over.  Not unless you do quit. We have a couple women who were once nurses.  They still nurse.  When someone has an operation, they will tend to their nursing needs; wash the wound and put new bandages on.
They can check to see if anything is going wrong and have them call the doctor.  That is something I wouldn’t attempt.  I would not be a good nurse; I am so clumsy and may hurt them worse.

Some people here, like to cook or bake.  They share this talent to ones who can’t get around very well. Or even to me; one who does not like to cook.  The man next door cooks all the time.  That aroma always makes me hungry.  Once in awhile, he will hand me a jar of still hot soup or chili.  I really appreciate it.  Once I was very sick with bronchitis.  Another person gave me a big pot of soup.  I just had to nuke it. 

Someone else gave me a frozen salmon steak she got from the food bank and some cookies.  She is forever baking cookies and pies and distributing them to different people.  She is in her 90’s yet she never stops. 

There are others who just visit the lonely.  I can’t do that.  I’m just not sure if they really want me to stop by.  Might just be an excuse but I can’t get myself to knock on the door of someone I don’t know.  I had been kind of a loner and stayed in my apartment
most of the time.  Lately I am getting more sociable.  God has been changing me from an introvert to an extrovert.  He can perform miracles!!!  Even on someone like me.

To show what other acts of kindness you can do, I will say what I have done.  When I moved here 8 years ago, I had a word processor (and later, this computer).  I asked God to let me use it to help others.  I offered to type up papers for anyone who needed that
 done and give them copies of it.  It started out slow but more people have learned I would do it. 

I fill out rent rebate forms for a few people.  I now have a scanner so I can make necessary copies for the rebates and our yearly revaluation meeting with HUD.  I don’t charge for anything but some insist on giving me something---some more, some less.  It helps pay for my supplies. 

Every year I update the By-Laws of the Tenant’s Association and also of TOPS, which is held in our community room.  I make copies of the notes of our meetings.  Also, I make sign-up sheets for any doings in the building.  I get more out of it than any one else.

Ever since I could remember, I loved to go to a store and spend time in the office supply section.  I wanted to have an office.  Now years later, I do!  I love to do filing.  I keep files of everyone I do any work for.  I keep medical records up to date for the “soup” man.

Many here don’t have cars.  Some will drive them where they need to go.  I have been driven to different places when I didn’t have a ride.  Or I could give someone money and a list to pick things up for me.  One younger woman walks up town to pick up prescriptions or items at the grocery store for any one. I make up a birthday list of those
who want on it.  A good many give cards to those on each monthly list or to someone who is sick or in the hospital.  They look forward to the cards. 

That is just the tip of the iceberg.  Many acts of kindness can be seen everyday if we just look for them.  A High Rise is a good place to start.  There are so many people to study.  My favorite and I believe the favorite of everyone here is a 93 year old man.  He has a smile on his face at all times.  He always has a good word for everyone.  That is
what you call spreading cheer.  You, alone, know what your specialty for kindness it.  Use iit!!!  There is so much need for kindness everywhere.  Do your part.

I think you get the picture.  Kindness is free and doesn’t take much effort  but is worth a million bucks.  It’s a two way street.  It not only makes others happy but you get pleasure out of knowing you have obeyed God.  You can’t be kind without love.  Romans
12:10 “Be kindly affectionate one to another with brotherly love; in honor preferring one another.”   Just smile.  God bless you.

February 5, 2007 update.  The 93 year old man first moved to a nursaing home.  Not long after that he passed away.  We all miss him.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 08:08:30 AM by livingbyfaith » Logged

Hebrews 4:12 "For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the