Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:35:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Give Me That Old Time Gospel
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Give Me That Old Time Gospel  (Read 135425 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: March 19, 2009, 08:41:34 AM »

THY MAKER IS THINE HUSBAND --- Isaiah 54:5; 35:10.

"For thy Maker is thine husband; the Lord of hosts is his name. . . . And the ransomed of the Lord shall return, and come to Zion with songs of everlasting joy upon their heads: . . ." --- Isaiah 54:5; 35:10.

When Cyrus took the king of Armenia, and his son Tigranes, and their wives and children, prisoners, and upon their humble submission, beyond all hope, gave them liberty and their lives, in their return home as they were all commending Cyrus, some for his personage, some for his power, some for his clemency, Tigranes asked his wife, "What thinkest thou of Cyrus? is he not a comely and a proper man, of a majestic presence?" "Truly," said she, "I know not what manner of man he is, I never looked upon him."

"Why," said he, where were thine eyes all the while? upon whom didst thou look?" "I fixed mine eyes," said she, "all the while upon him (meaning her husband) who, in mine hearing, offered to Cyrus to lay down his life for my ransom."

Thus if any question the devout soul, once indeed captivated by the world, but now enamoured of Christ her heavenly Bridegroom, whether she is not charmed with the riches, pleasure, and gaieties of the world? her answer is, that her eyes and her heart are now fixed on a nobler object, even on Him who not only made an offer, like Tigranes, to die in her stead, but actually laid down his life to ransom her; and as her dear Bridegroom is now in heaven, her looks are after him, and she can esteem nothing on earth in comparison of him.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: March 20, 2009, 06:48:32 AM »

I AM THY PART --- Numbers 18:20.

"Thou shalt have no inheritance in their land, neither shalt thou have any part among them. I am thy part and thine inheritance." --- Numbers 18:20.

Whoever loves and possesses the Lord Jesus, finds unspeakably more delight, honour, and riches in him, than in all other things. Then all is willingly denied for his sake, and this denial springs from faith. Now, O Lord, thou art the all I need to make me happy, the only inheritance that can supply my every want, and to draw near to thee is my greatest joy.

I desire to love thee evermore, and to show that love by keeping thy commandments; and I pray that a sweet sense of thy love to me may become my daily portion and my only bosom-treasure.

Beset with snares on ev'ry hand,
In life's uncertain path I stand:
Saviour divine! diffuse thy light,
To guide my doubtful footsteps right.

Engage this roving treach'rous heart,
Great God, to choose the better part;
To scorn the trifles of a day,
For joys that none can take away.

Then let the wildest storms arise
Let tempests mingle earth and skies;
No fatal shipwreck shall I fear,
But all my treasures with me bear.

If thou, my Jesus, still art nigh,
Cheerful I live, and cheerful die;
Secure, when mortal comforts flee,
To find ten thousand worlds in thee.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: March 21, 2009, 09:10:26 AM »

THE SPIRIT HELPETH OUR INFIRMITIES --- Romans 8:26.

"Likewise the Spirit helpeth our infirmities; for we know not what we should pray for as we ought; but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us." --- Romans 8:26.

God is a Spirit; and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and truth. God hath many worshippers on particular occasions who cannot be called spiritual worshippers.

Take, for instance, the prayers of wicked men under their conviction, or fears, troubles, and dangers, and the prayers of believers:- The former is merely an outcry that distressed nature makes to the God of it, and as such alone it considers him; but the other is the voice of the Spirit of adoption, addressing itself to the hearts of believers unto God as a father.

Woe to professors of the gospel, who shall be seduced to believe that all they have to do with God consists in their attendance upon moral virtue; it is fit for tham so to do, who, being weary of Christianity, have a mind to turn Pagans; but "our fellowship is with the Father abd his Son Jesus Christ," under the promised working and intercession of the Spirit, for by them alone are the love of the Father, and the fruits of the meditation of the Son communicated unto us, without which we have no interest or comfort in them; and by the influence of the Spirit alone we are enabled to make any acceptable returns of obedience to God.

To exclude the interanl operations of the Holy Ghost is to destroy the gospel.

Spirit of wisdom, grace, and power,
Of prayer and faith the quick'ning spring,
With Father, Son, we Thee adore,
And holy, holy, holy sing.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: March 22, 2009, 10:36:18 AM »

HE THAT OVERCOMETH --- 1 Corithians 9:25; Revelation 21:7.

"Every man that striveth for mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown, but we an incorruptible." --- 1 Corithians 9:25.

"He that overcometh shall inherit all things." Revelation 21:7.

To be only an almost Christian is a very hard thing, but to be a Christian altogether makes all easy and pleasant, and such as desire to have the whole of Christ, his whole salvation and all that is his, must needs give themselves up to him, not only in part, but wholly, according to that fundamental and reasonable rule, "All for all;" and, as far as we deny him anything, we make ourselves unhappy; but the more we are resigned to him, the more we are fit to enjoy him and his spiritual blessings.

Many would sooner be persuaded to follow Christ if it was allowed to serve him by halves, and reserve some things for ourselves. But what could that profit them?

Christ will not be bargained with: and nothing is more dangerous than dividing our hrearts between him and the world, and waiting from time to time for a more convenient season to break through.

Thus you may live many years, and be neither hot nor cold; and so at last be spewed out of our Lord's mouth. Consider this well, O ye double-minded, lukewarm souls! Christianity requires great striving and overcoming all things, even our most favourite and darling lusts.

Rouse, therefore, thy drowsy heart - spare thyself no longer rise above the trifles of the world, fight the good fight of faith, and lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art called.

Take away my darling sin;
Make me willing to be clean;
Make me willing to receive
What thy goodness waits to give.

Force me, Lord, with all to part;
Tear all idols from my heart;
Let thy power on me be shown,
Take away the heart of stone.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: March 23, 2009, 08:30:06 AM »

A NEW COMMANDMENT . . .--- John 13:34.

"A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another." --- John 13:34.>

All the commandments of God are commandments of love, tending to our real good and great happiness: far from being grevious to those who have faith and love, the practice thereof is life and peace. The world might think it is a grievious burden; but this is a great mistake indeed.

Sin is grievious. It is hatred, envy, anger, revenge, pride, there is nothing but torment and slavery; but in love there is a sweet rest and pleasure. Thus a sinner always punishes himself, and is robbed of great peace and blessing, by trangressing the commandments of God.

Saviour, look down with pitying eyes,
Our jarring wills control;
Let cordial, kind affections rise,
And harmonize the soul.

Subdue in us the carnal mind,
Its enmity destroy;
With cords of love th' old Adam bind,
And melt him into joy.

Us into closest union draw,
And in our inward parts
Let kindness sweetly write her law,
Let love command our hearts.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: March 24, 2009, 08:16:03 AM »

THAT GOOD PART --- Luke 10:42.

"One thing is needful; and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her." --- Luke 10:42.

We must not pretend to serve God with only going to church, and doing other outward acts of devotion; whilst we are dead and cold, our religion is in vain. Who first, by faith, seeks grace from the words of Christ, like Mary, is served by Christ; and this constrains him to serve Christ and his neighbour readily again.

It is almost impossible for such to go in haughtiness, envy, hatred, and disobedience. Grace and faith will resist it, and make them lowly, gentle, willing, obedient, active, without relying on any works of their own.

He that obtains Christ, the one thing needful, receives with him all the rest, and has no more need to be troubled about many things; he being our all, we may always live happily; whereas, the children of the world must always be cumbered and divided between fears and hopes about their fate.

In vanity we shall never find this good part; neither is there any salvation in the works of the law. Faith alone takes hold of it; and whoever withdraws his heart and senses from the noise and bustle of this world, who quietly looks for salvation through the blood and righeousness of Christ, will certainly find it his better part.

The one thing needful, that good part
That Mary chose with all her heart,
I would pursue with heart and mind,
And seek, unwearied, till I find.

O Lord, my God, to thee I pray,
Teach me to know and find the way
How I may have my sins forgiv'n,
And safe and surely get to heaven.

Hidden in Christ the treasure lies,
That goodly pearl of so great price;
No other way but Christ there is,
To endless happiness and bliss.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: March 25, 2009, 11:35:04 AM »

I SHALL BE WHITER THAN SNOW --- Psalm 51:7.

"Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow." --- Psalm 51:7.

"Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities." --- Psalm 51:9.

"Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow: though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool." --- Isaiah 1:18.

"I have blotted out, as a thick cloud, thy transgressions, and, as a cloud, thy sins: return unto me; for I have redeemed thee." --- Isaiah 44:22.

We must not keep away from Christ on account of our stumblings and manifold faults. This would cast us under the law again, and bind us under condemnation; but we should humble ourselves directly before God, and seek earnestly for pardon through the blood of Christ.

The longer we delay this, the worse our cause will grow, and the sooner it is done, the sooner we shall have forgiveness. The Lord not imputing those sins to us which are sincerely repented of, our soul returns to its rest again; and, instead of falling into carnal insecurity (as some may think), it shall rather strengthen our faith, and make us more watchful.

Hasten, therefore and come as soon and as well as thou canst. He will receive thee, if thou canst but creep.

O Lord, I fall before thy face;
My only refuge is thy face:
Nor bleeding beast, nor flood, nor sea,
Can wash the dismal stain away.

Jesus, my God, thy blood alone
Hath power sufficient to atone;
Thy blood can make me white as snow
No Jewish types could cleanse me so.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: March 28, 2009, 09:23:58 AM »

DELIVER US FROM EVIL --- Matthew 6:13.

"Deliver us from evil." --- Matthew 6:13.

Divine Answer: "Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine. When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee." --- Isaiah 43:1, 2.

"Christ hath, by his own blood, entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us." --- Hebrews 9:12.

This precious redemption is the foundation of our present deliverance, and will finally produce an everlasting deliverance from all evil. He who loathes and detests not only the evil of punishment, but of sin itself, and consequently pants after Jesus, both of his love and his likenesss, such an one has faith already, and sin has lost its dominion over him.

And though he may be tempted with it severely, yet he is under the law no more; for the reigning power of sin being broke, the law has lost its condemning power also; we are delivered from the power of the evil one, and we may be sure of continual, nay, eternal redemption. We often may feel the evil, but, by prayer and watchfulness, be as often delivered from it also.

Thy solemn vows are on me, Lord;
Thou shalt receive my praise:
I'll sing, "How faithful is thy word!
How righteous all thy ways!

Thou hast secured my soul from death,
Oh set thy prisoner free;
That heart and hand, and life and breath,
May be employ'd for thee.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: March 28, 2009, 09:24:36 AM »

STIR UP THE GIFT --- 2 Timothy 1:6; 2 Samuel 7:18, 28.

"Stir up the gift of God which is in thee." --- 2 Timothy 1:6; 2 Samuel 7:18, 28.

How can this be done? Answer: By looking as well upon thy own great poverty and wants, as upon the riches of grace which are in Christ for thee, and so drawing near to God through him in faith; but it is not enough to do this once for all, or now and then only.

It is to be thy daily work. One day's omission may greatly hurt thy soul; especially the morning hours are very proper for this purpose. These must directly be laid hold on to converse with God in prayer, before we meddle with anything else in our business, though ever so needful and important, for fear of being entangled and distracted, perhaps, the whole day; and to gather the whole strength, draw as near to Christ as possible, and even wrestle with him, as if it were the last time.

Pour out thy whole heart before him - not giving over too soon; but be instant in thy supplication, at least with inward continual groaning till thy heart burn within thee, and thou feel the quickening influence of his grace and Spirit.

Then great care is to be taken to preserve this blessing and strength in a quiet and well-composed mind, examine thyself frequently, especially at nights, how the day has been spent.

I'll lift up my hands, I'll raise my voice,
While I have breath to pray or praise;
This work shall make my heart rejoice,
And spend the remnant of my days.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: March 28, 2009, 09:25:13 AM »

FOR HE IS A BABE --- Hebrews 5:13.

"For every one that useth milk is unskillful in the word of righteousness; for he is a babe." --- Hebrews 5:13.

The apostle, with some severity of expression, tells the Hebrews, or converted Jews, to whom he wrote, that instead of being capable of strong meat, or attaining to the pefection of Christian doctrine and being skilful in the way of righteousness, they chose to continue babes in knowledge; and, like children, had all their work to begin again.

It is, hterefore, a matter of great importance to know what that word of righeousness is in which they were unskilful, not having their senses exercised to discern between good and evil, truth and error.

Let it only be observed, that they were looking back to the law, and consequently in danger of returning to it for justification, and thus falling from the doctrine of grace.

The design of the epistle was to keep them stedfast in the faith; and it will appear, at once, that the righteousness which they were ignorant of, or ready to reject, is that of Christ, "who, by one offering," the finishing act of his obedience, hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified," Hebrews 10:14.

How many at all times, who have the name and appearance of well grown Christians are just such babes as the Hebrews were, and have the same need to be told that tehy are unskilful in the word, reason, or ground, of a justifying righteousness, and exhorted to go to perfection in Christian doctrine, as well as to further degrees of Christian holiness.

Unskilful though I am, O Lord,
A babe in knowledge yet;
I sip the milk of thy sweet word,
But ask for stronger meat.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: March 29, 2009, 09:03:09 AM »

BUT ALSO IN POWER --- 1 Thessalonians 1:5.

"For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, . . ." --- 1 Thessalonians 1:5.

By the gospel, the Son of God and Divine truths are revealed to us; and by the Spirit they are revealed to us. External revelation by the word, and internal by the Spirit, are both necessary for salvation.

Though Paul was separated from his mother's womb to be called by the grace of God, yet he had not an inward revelation of Jesus Christ in his heart, till he heard the external word of Christ in his ear, saying, "Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?" Acts 9:4.

Hence, learn to prize both the outward testimony of the word, and the inward testimony of the Spirit. The gospel is a revelation of Jesus Christ, without which we could never have known that our sins are atoned for by the blood, our persons justified by the righteousness, and our souls everlastingly saved by the work of Christ; but is this knowledge all that is necessary to salvation?

No; persons may attain a notion of these things in the head, and understand somewhat of them, and yet the heart be without precious faith in Christ, destitute of the love of Christ, and of any saving faith in him.

Professor, look well to it; many have said, "Lord, Lord," and have heard Christ preached in the streets, who little expected to meet with this rebuff from him, "I know not whence ye are; depart, ye workers of iniquity!" Many heard the gospel preached in Thessalonica; but they alone were blessed to whom it came "in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance."

The gospel is like sun and shower,
If once the Spirit seals the word;
It comes with truth, and come with power,
And will both light and life afford.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: March 30, 2009, 08:10:52 AM »

I WILL MANIFEST MYSELF --- Galatians 1:16.

"To reveal his Son in me." --- Galatians 1:16.

From hence begins the spiritual life: a life proceeding from God, and holding communion with God, and tending to the glory of God; and honour and hapiness of our souls ariseth from this revealing of Christ in us.

Oh for the reviving comfort of this, while we consider it! To reveal Christ in us is to make such a clear discovery of the matchless charms and glory of his person to our souls as we never saw before; so that our hearts are enamoured with him, we choose him, love him, delight in him, and cleave to him in all his offices and characters; for, by the eye of the soul, we then behold his glory --- the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth to us miserable sinners; hence, he is the only beloved of our souls.

Without this revelation of Jesus Christ in us, alas! what is all our outward profession? No more than mere talk, dry formality, and heavy drudgery.

O my soul! O my dear friends! be not content to live without a constant revelation of Christ to your souls; this makes the conscience peaceful, the heart heavenly, and the soul happy.

This inspires love, subdues lust, captivates the affections, makes the whole man happy in God, and creates heaven in the soul. If Christ be within the heart, all will be right and well without in life.

If you believe in Christ as revealed in the word, this blessed promise is for you "I will manifest myself to him." --- John 14:21.

Great God, thy Scriptures will impart
The Saviour to my list'ning ear;
Yet, oh, reveal him in my heart,
And let me feel his presence there.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: March 31, 2009, 08:06:31 AM »

THE BLOOD OF JESUS CHRIST --- 1 John 1:7.

"The blood of Jesus Christ cleanseth us from all sin." --- 1 John 1:7.

Whatever we do ourselves, in answer to our convictions, is a covering, not a cleansing; and if we die in this condition, unwashed, uncleansed, unpurified, it is utterly impossible, that we should be admitted into the blessed presence of the Holy God. Revelation 21:27.

Let no man deceive thee with vain words. It is not the doing of a few good works, it is not an outward profession of religion, that will give you an access with joy unto God.

Unless you are washed from your actual transgressions in the blood of Christ, and cleansed form the pollution of your nature by the Spirit of God, you shall not inherit the kingdom of God; yea, without this washing you will be a horrible sight unto saints and angels, to yourselves, and to one another, when the shame of your nakedness shall be made to appear.

If, therefore, you would not perish, and that eternally, if you would not perish as base, defiled creatures, an abhorring unto all flesh; then, when your pride, and your wealth, and your beauty, and your ornaments, and your duties, will stand you in no stead, look out betimes after that only way of purifying and cleansing your souls which God hath ordained: "Without shedding of blood is no remission." Hebrews 9:22. "The blood of Jesus Christ cleanseth us from all sin." "Ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, - but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a Lamb without blemish and without spot." --- 1 Peter 1:18, 19.

No works of ours, the most or best,
Can wash a conscience clean;
The blood of Christ, our great High Priest,
Will only cleanse from sin.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: April 02, 2009, 09:40:14 AM »

THE RAINBOW TOKEN --- Genesis 9:13.

"I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token and a covenant between me and the earth." --- Genesis 9:13.

The rainbow is a token of the covenant of preservation made with Noah, and with all the creatures of the earth; it is fixed and sure; it may be considered also as an emblem of the covenant of grace (Isaiah 54:9, 10); or rather, it may be an emblem of Christ himself (Revelation 10:1), as appears in many particulars.

When we are apt to fear being overwhelmed by rain, Jehovah shows the seal of his promise that we shall not. Thus he removes our fears, when we weep for sin and are afraid of a flood of wrath, by reminding us of the covenant of grace established in Jesus.

The thicker the cloud, afterwards the brighter the bow in the cloud; so when afflictions abound, consolations do much more abound. The bow appears when part of the sky is clear; which intimates mercy remembered in the midst of wrath. The rainbow is caused by the reflection of the beams of the sun; so all the glory of the covenant of grace, and the significancy of the seals are derived from Christ, the Sun of righteousness.

The bow speaks of terror; but this is without string or arrow, is directed upwards, and not to the earth. God looks upon the bow to remember his covenant; so should we, that we may be mindful of the covenant of grace with faith and thankfulness.

Christ's open arms like rainbows stand,
To grasp and save a guilty land;
Oh! take me, Lord, within thy bow,
And all its glories sweetly show.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: April 02, 2009, 09:41:20 AM »

IN CHRIST ALONE --- Galatians 6:14.

"God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world." --- Galatians 6:14.

A true believer has nothing to glory in but Christ alone.

Even in his best peformances he will be often deeply humbled, and cry out, "Lord, enter not into judgment;" and well he may; for the ground of our glory, comfort, and salvation, is not in works, but in Christ, and in the free grace of God; who, for his Son's sake, lays nothing to our charge, but daily covers and richly pardons all our iniquities; and thus believers, walking steadily, might always be kept in solid peace; for the cross of Christ is a solid and unshaken foundation.

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God;
All the vain things that charm me most
I sacrifice them to his blood.

His dying crimsom, like a robe,
Spreads o'er his body on the tree;
Then I am dead to all the globe,
And all the globe is dead to me.
Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.

Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the