Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:44:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Books (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Beloved Apostate: A Novel by Josprel - Excerpt Two
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beloved Apostate: A Novel by Josprel - Excerpt Two  (Read 1421 times)
Josprel

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2006, 12:18:46 PM »

Beloved Apostate
                                                                                                          by
                                                                                                      Josprel

Several choruses later, a deep hush descended, broken when a sublime wave of musical hallelujahs gushed from one of the Miriams. In a clear alto, the melody surged, as though alternating between the divine and the mundane. Softly backed by the musicians, the other dancers and the worship team blended in; hands stretched high, the congregation followed.

A second wave of ecstasy swelled. It, too, featured enraptured singing, but with vague words. Moving to the podium, Darnel stood with closed eyes, and a hush followed. A male voice, resonating from the congregation, shattered the silence. In a fervent monologue of tongues, it flowed, inspiring a new high of ecstasy.

When it concluded, Darnel announced, "Jesus has just spoken to us through our brother. This is His message: `I am your Lord. Division and strife long have weakened my Body on Earth. Thus, it has been unable to assail the gates of Hell. However, my Father has ordained a new thing for this generation. He is uniting my fractured Church.

"`Do not my Scriptures vaunt the beauty of brethren dwelling together in unity? Before I took the cross, in my High Priestly Prayer, did I not pray that my people might be one, even as my Father and I are one? My Father loves me; therefore, nothing I ask of Him will He deny. Even now His Spirit works in my Church to fulfill my desire for the unity of my people.

"`This work of the Holy Spirit is as fresh wine, poured forth to heal the grievous wounds inflicted by the many centuries of strife within my Church -- my Body. Drink of this fresh wine! Be healed! I, your Lord, desire this.'"

After a short lull, Darnel nodded. Instantly, the musicians unleashed a version of "Amazing Grace" that devoured the silence at a "warp-allegro" throb!  Thundering through the speakers with an earsplitting roar, the tortured melody vibrated the seats!  To this din, the ushers took the offerings, while the Miriams and the worship team filed into the anterooms.

A Country Gospel group sang.  AWell!!"  Darnel exclaimed, noting the enthused applause that followed, "Certainly seems you want more of that!"

The applause resumed, and he gestured for silence.  "No more this morning.  This was just a teaser for what we'll be enjoying tonight.  Beginning at 6:30, the entire service is being turned over to the Glory Land Singers.  I know you'll be here!

"On entering our parking lots, you no doubt noticed the colorful circus vehicles near our gym.  The Sortuni Family Circus is in town.  And, where else, but at Highway Center?  Papa Sortuni says not to worry; his lions and tigers only eat vegetables." Darnel paused for the chuckles to fade.

"Many of you have purchased tickets to this family event. Those who haven't may purchase them from the ushers at the exits of the sanctuary.

"I’ve been asked to announce that those who’ll  be boarding our buses for the Washington pro-life rally must be in educational building "A" no later than eight tomorrow morning.  Please read the other announcements in our newsletter.  If you're not on our mailing list, you may get a copy of the latest newsletter from an usher.  Ask to have your name placed on our mailing list.

"We're honored to have my dear friend, Cardinal Prisal, with us.  He returned from Rome, Tuesday, and called me with exciting news!  I asked him to share it with you, firsthand.  Let's give Cardinal Prisal a Highway welcome!"

The cardinal moved briskly to the podium and briefly clasped hands with Darnel, who returned to his seat.  Scanning the vast sea of expectant faces, he waved down the applause and remarked, "I'm the one who's honored this morning.  As your pastor has noted, my news indeed is exciting!"

He leaned forward, as though trying to press toward to his listeners.  "I just returned from an audience with the Holy Father.  I told him of the Christmas rally; that most of the denominations in our county are participating; and that we project an attendance of at least 200,000.

"Now, I have known the Holy Father for a good many years; we have been friends since our seminary days.  Never before have I seen him so enthused!  He knows of Pastor Ladner and your church.  His Holiness receives Highway's telecasts and often views them.  He agrees with the Fresh Wine Movement.

"When I mentioned that Pastor Ladner and I sponsor numerous common projects aimed at uniting the churches of our county, he stated, `Praise God!  All Christians should follow that example.  We all must work to unite the Church!'  And this morning, Jesus indicated He feels the same!

"Now here's the most exciting part.  The day before I left Rome, the Holy Father called me to his chambers.  First, he asked me to convey his blessings to Pastor Ladner and to Highway Christian Center.  Then, he told me that his first visit after the beginning of the new millennium will be to the USA! It will be called, `The Tour of Millennial Religious Unity.'" His Holiness has invited Pastor Ladner and me to accompany him.  He said he wants us to serve as examples of what the Church can accomplish when it puts aside its differences and works together.

"But there's still more!  The Holy Father hopes to end his tour in our area -- with a visit to Highway!  Think of it!  His Holiness speaking from this pulpit!  It's one of the greatest honors he can bestow on any church, even one of our own; yet, he's chosen to bestow it on you.     

"As one much older than most of you, I am somewhat set in my ways -- not immune to feelings of sectarian bigotry.  I confess a slight . . . no, let me correct that: I confess a profound envy of the honor bestowed on your church.  I wish the Holy Father had chosen one of our own faith.  It's a good example of how a bias can prop up sectarian walls.  In spite of my deep affection for your pastor as my very close friend, I must check myself against the sin of bias and the spirit of division. 

And, so must we all!  This is why the Holy Father desires to visit Highway Christian Center, so that the whole world will see that our unity transcends sectarian walls.

"My own true brothers and sisters in Christ; I embrace you!  I rejoice in the honor granted to you!  May the Spirit continue to blend us together in the love of Christ!  Amen."

Prisal raised his arms in benediction and took his seat.  With loud  amen’s, the crowd came to its feet.  When the drawn-out applause ebbed, Darnel lifted both hands high.

"Say it!" he shouted, index fingers extended in the "One Way" salute.

"One God!  One Christ!  One Spirit!  One body!" the people roared back, their hands mimicking his.

Book Excerpt Continued
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the