Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 07, 2024, 09:15:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286945 Posts in 27571 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Winter storm hammers Colorado
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Winter storm hammers Colorado  (Read 865 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2006, 05:13:16 AM »

Winter storm hammers Colorado
State digs out from foot of snow, flights canceled as airport, roads close

A major snowstorm blew across Colorado toward the Plains, dumping more than a foot of snow in some places and forcing the airport to close, stranding thousands of holiday travelers. Authorities at times shut down major highways in parts of six states. Snow was predicted to fall through Thursday morning.

The National Weather Service posted blizzard warnings for most of eastern Colorado and adjoining sections of Nebraska and Kansas. A day earlier, the storm had pummeled New Mexico with up to a foot of snow.

As much as 20 inches of snow was forecast in Denver, where all nonessential municipal offices were closed early.

The storm struck Denver just as the morning commute was starting.

“I’m going to grab my computer, talk to my boss and go back home,” Jennifer Robinson said after driving about 20 miles from her home in Boulder to her sales job in downtown Denver. “I’m not going to take a risk and get stuck in Denver.”

Airport runways closed through Thursday
Denver International Airport was closed to flights at mid-afternoon, and more than 1,000 were canceled through Thursday.

The runways will remain closed until at least Thursday night, spokesman Steve Snyder said. As many as 3,000 passengers were waiting for flights.

Stranded travelers sprawled on benches and floors, or stood in long lines at ticket counters trying to make new reservations.

“I’m trying to book another flight, but I’ll probably be spending the night at the airport,” said Michael Heitc, 54, of Denver, who was trying to get to Oregon to visit relatives for the holidays.

Colorado Gov. Bill Owens declared a state of emergency and activated the National Guard in case stranded motorists needed to be rescued.

Vehicles scattered, schools closed
Authorities closed portions of interstate highways in Wyoming, Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, New Mexico and Texas throughout the day, including nearly all of Interstate 25 in Colorado, the state’s busiest north-south route.

“They pulled everyone off the highway,” said Leon Medina, manager of a truck stop on Interstate 25 in Walsenburg, about 130 miles south of Denver. “Cars are all around the building. Trucks are all over, trucks and cars pulled into ditches.”

Scores of schools were closed, and the NBA’s Denver Nuggets canceled their game Wednesday night against the Phoenix Suns.

Travelers stalled by the closures filled Kansas motels, said Stan Whitley, a spokesman for the state Department of Transportation.

The lumbering storm dropped more than a foot of snow in Colorado’s southwestern mountains Tuesday, with 19 inches at the Wolf Creek ski area and 17 at Durango Mountain Resort.

“We’ve been waiting for a big storm to hit, so this was the best early Christmas present,” Durango Mountain Resort spokeswoman Loryn Kasten said.

Winter storm or blizzard warnings were in effect for much of Nebraska, with up to 12 inches of snow expected by Thursday morning. Rain spread across much of the rest of the Plains.

Roads around New Mexico were still snowpacked and icy Wednesday. Numerous schools opened late or remained closed. Los Alamos National Laboratory was closed for the day.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 05:14:13 AM »

More results from global warming.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
MusicMedic5150

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 11:25:15 PM »

LOL Pastor Roger. Where's Al Gore when ya need him. This coupled with the 26 named hurricanes we had on the NC coast this year!!! Global warming and science truly at work.

God is greater than any problem I have!!
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 11:36:32 PM »

He's busy hiding out in a sun tan room trying to think of ways to explain all this away.

Cheesy Cheesy

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the