Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:08:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Politics and Political Issues (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  New Jersey State senate bans pastor
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Jersey State senate bans pastor  (Read 393 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2006, 03:21:42 PM »

State senate bans pastor after he condemns same-sex marriage 
'The Holy Spirit took over, and I had to pray what he said'

The Rev. Vincent Fields says he didn't plan to speak out against same-sex marriage when he offered the invocation at the opening of the Senate session on Monday.

At first, he prayed for wisdom and understanding for the senators. But then, the Absecon pastor recalled yesterday, "the Holy Spirit took over, and I had to pray what he said."

What Fields said next -- on a day a Senate committee advanced a bill allowing civil unions for same- sex couples -- has gotten the pastor banned from giving future Senate invocations.

"We curse the spirit that would come to bring about same-sex marriage," Fields said in the Senate chamber. "We ask you to just look over this place today, cause them to be shaken in their very heart in uprightness, Lord, to do that is right before you."

The invocations are not sup posed to be political or divisive, Senate President Richard Codey said. But Fields, who runs a non- denominational church, provoked a lot of comment. Asked if he felt Fields had gone out of bounds, Codey said, "Absolutely. Positively. Yes. He will not be back."

The Senate opens every voting session, there were 15 this year, with the Pledge of Allegiance and an invocation given by a pastor, who receives $100.

Most clergy who give the invocations through the year are recommended by state lawmakers, and represent the diversity of religious groups in the state. Fields, however, was recommended by a staffer in the office of Ellen Daven port, Secretary of the Senate.

Fields, 46, also was criticized for citing Jesus twice in his prayer. The invocations are usually non-specific to any religion.

"Usually rabbis and ministers and imams are sensitive to the fact that they are saying a prayer before a diverse body," said Sen. Loretta Weinberg (D-Bergen). "They usually try to keep that prayer as inclusive as possible.

"My attitude about these things are, I'm Jewish and I sort of just stand there quietly, respectful. But I don't bow my head and I don't say 'Amen' after a prayer like that that specifically excludes my religious beliefs."

Fields, who gave a Senate invocation last year and whose Greater Works Ministries draws about 200 people on Sundays, said he thought he acted appropriately.

"We're living in a time now where we've got to take a stand spiritually," said Fields, who works during the week for his contracting company, Upper Scale Contracting in Pleasantville. "...We're literally setting ourselves up for God to turn his back on us, and if we do, we'll have the chaos in other coun tries, in this country."

He said he didn't expect to speak about same-sex marriage when he arrived at the Statehouse. He was in the middle of the invocation, he said, and "all of a sudden, he (the Holy Spirit) just took over. Boom! I don't even know exactly. My wife told me afterward, 'You were being nice and tiptoeing and all of a sudden, Boom!'"

He said he didn't care that Codey said he won't be asked back.

"Not at all," he said. "It's better just to get the voice across."

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 03:24:52 PM »

AMEN!

We need more such "Booms"! Lord, please bring them on!

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the