Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:57:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  A FUN QUESTION
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A FUN QUESTION  (Read 8168 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 09:56:58 PM »

Hello AngelFriend,

I think that you just hit another area that is very worthy of discussion. The term "On Fire For JESUS" does make some people think of extremists, but maybe it's just another stereotype. Maybe we could describe this in many ways that would deal with the natural desires of a Christian, as opposed to the desires of the world.

As a child and young adult, I remember many Christian activities that I considered assignments from mom and dad or teachers at church. I probably compared them to homework like I was given at school, and there were other things that I would rather have been doing. Now, I have a list of things that I WANT to study in the Bible, and nobody told me to do them. I decided all by myself what topics and portions of Scripture that I WANT to do. It really isn't strange at all for a Christian to say that they enjoy Bible study, and there isn't anything extreme about wanting to study the Bible every day.

Some folks might think it was strange to want to do anything more than go to church one or two hours a week. Some folks might think that a person is dull or boring if they suggest that they actually WANT to do a Bible study as a matter of enjoyment and fellowship. AND, there isn't anything strange about wanting to spend private time in prayer and Bible study every day. This could even be considered to be an addiction, but there wouldn't be anything negative associated with it.

In short, the world doesn't understand how Christians can associate Bible study and other Christian activities with fun and enjoyment. The world associates these normal Christian activities and desires with being an extremist. This really leads to many other thoughts and discussions that are probably viewed by the world as negative. As an example, Christian Fundamentalists don't like or approve of dirty language, dirty television, dirty movies, dirty music, etc. Is there really anything extreme about this?

I'll mention one other area that might be good for discussion. Is there anything strange or extreme about a Christian being concerned about their testimony before men in what they do or won't do? In fact, there are many things that Christian Fundamentalists don't want to be associated with at all, and they will show active opposition to many things of the world. Fill in the blanks and think about what some of these things might be.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Philippians 2:1-2 NASB  Therefore if there is any encouragement in Christ, if there is any consolation of love, if there is any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and compassion, make my joy complete by being of the same mind, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose.

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 09:09:34 AM »

I would say that if they set themselves on fire and said it was for Jesus...then they are extremely crazy! Cheesy

But yes when I was young not only in life but even in Christ the terms fundamental and on fire usually meant that there would be no reasoning with those folks.  And I usually tried to stay away.  As time grew and I understood them more I started looking for people who were on fire for Jesus and wanted to spend more time with them, because I wanted to be on fire as well.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2006, 09:24:06 AM »

Amen!

Heb 12:28  Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:
Heb 12:29  For our God is a consuming fire.

Heb 1:7  And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2006, 01:20:58 PM »

Brothers and Sisters,

There is beauty and great joy in serving the LORD. There are many beautiful portions of Scripture that associate fire with our Lord and Saviour, JESUS CHRIST. There are many applications and illustrations with fire. Some of them deal with refining and purification.

Pastor Roger, I was reading the Scriptures you posted from Hebrews and saw a cross reference to Psalms 104. There were many cross references, but I think that Psalms 104 is beautiful. Studying this portion of Scripture from Hebrews leads to some of the most beautiful portions of Scripture in the Bible.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Philippians 3:8-9 NASB  More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith,

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2006, 02:32:35 PM »

Amen brother Tom. That chapter was on my mind also at the time I posted those in Hebrews. One thing I would like to add for those that may not understand the significance here is the word minister that is used in Heb 1:7 and in Psalms 104:5 is not necessarily talking about just a Pastor. The meaning of that word in Hebrew or Greek means "worshipers of God".

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2006, 05:35:42 PM »

Amen Pastor Roger!

Brother, all of GOD'S children can be used by GOD for HIS Purposes. All we have to do is yield to HIS Will. I am firmly convinced that GOD has work for all of us to do, and HE will provide opportunities for us to serve HIM. It is for us to say, "Yes LORD", regardless of how small or large the task is.

Brother, I'm really glad that you brought this up because some people believe that working for the LORD is reserved for Pastors or someone else with a title of some sort in a church. Maybe this would be another good description to add to a Christian Fundamentalist. A Christian Fundamentalist would believe that all of GOD'S children can be and should be servants and laborers for the MASTER. Much depends on us and whether or not we want to go when HE calls us to do something. The terms "servant or laborer" might seem to be demeaning to some people, but I like these terms when they are associated with serving the LORD. I was just reflecting on a great number of sweet Christians I've known during my life who were very happy to serve the LORD in any way that was needed. Any task for the LORD is an honor to do.

I must add that all of GOD'S children can be bearers of the GOOD NEWS. We don't need excellency of speech or degrees to tell others about JESUS CHRIST. GOD uses very plain and ordinary Christians every day. It's really a matter of whether we yield to HIS Will and be happy about HIM using us. If GOD sends us, HE will make us sufficient for HIS Purpose.

Love In Christ,
Tom

2 Corinthians 9:8 NASB  And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that always having all sufficiency in everything, you may have an abundance for every good deed;

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2006, 09:31:19 AM »

Words ...... the meaning of words when used to describe individuals or groups is constantly changing. It is like using the word Christian. When we first see this word in history it described a group of people that knew who Jesus really is and followed Him. Today we see this word used to describe a large variety of people with a large variety of different beliefs some of which even deny that Jesus ever existed.

Another such word is "Evangelicals". An Evangelical used to be synonymous with Fundamentalists. This too has changed as we now see many that are changing the word of God to meet worldly desires and are supporting such things as homosexuality along with same sex marriages, abortions, evolution, voting on whether Jesus is or is not God and other such abominations. These are those that were there among even the Apostles that Paul spoke of in 2 Cor 11. This is the tares among us, the false prophets and teachers that we were warned of.

It is for these reasons that these words have taken on a new meaning in the society of today.

2Co 11:13  For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.

Phi 2:15  That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;
Phi 2:16  Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 10:48:25 AM by Pastor Roger » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2006, 10:52:02 PM »

Pastor Roger,

You make another good point. I think that just about all of man's labels, tags, and denominations are SOILED by man. There really aren't any short terms that have hard and fast definitions these days. That's why "Statements Of Faith" have become so popular. Most Christians don't want the world to be mistaken about what they believe, or they don't want to be associated with a particular church or group in the news that has served as a poor example for CHRIST. In fact, it's really pretty shocking what some groups and so-called churches have done in the name of the LORD.

We live in a time where the devil wants confusion, and man makes it pretty easy for him to get it.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psalms 119:90 NASB  Your faithfulness continues throughout all generations; You established the earth, and it stands.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2006, 09:38:18 AM »

I think I'll post an opinion too, many people that are neither Jewish, Buddhists, muslums, islamics nor atheists call themselves Christians, even though they have not been born-again nor are practicing Bible believing Christians. Some believe in God and in Jesus, but are not at all familiar with the plan of Salvation, and they think that just saying they are Christian makes them so.

To be a real Christian means to accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior. Others call themselves Christians but they don't know God, they don't know His Word, and many don't even believe that their is a hell.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Josprel

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2006, 02:25:53 AM »

In my opinion a Christian fundamentalist is a person who interprets every passage of Scripture literally, even to the point of ridiculousness.  For example, I once had a conversation with a fundamentalist preacher who claimed that the earth is surrounded by water since Genesis, chapter one states that God divided the waters that were under the firmament from the waters that were above the firmament.  I asked him if we would get wet when the rapture takes place.

No answer.

Josprel
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2006, 02:53:01 AM »

You're speaking of Gen 1:7. Many creationists scientists now think that it was true that the earth was surrounded by an envelope of water. This envelope "sealed" the earth so to speak from harmful sun rays and created a perfect living condition for plants, animals and man. This situation would allow for plants to grow much larger and healthier than they do today. Larger plants and animal fossils do appear in the flood layers.

It is believed though that this envelope was "broken" which lent to the heavy rains of Noah's flood, which accounts for the atmosphere we have today, the smaller plants, animals and shorter life spans.

Looking at it in this aspect yes Genesis can be taken literal. It should also be taken as literal because it is God's word and He said what He means. Yes, I am a fundamentalist and proud of it.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2006, 04:52:45 AM »

AMEN!

YES - I believe every WORD of Genesis and other beautiful areas of the Bible where GOD tells us what HE wants us to know about HIS Glorious CREATION.

I was just thinking about many people during my life who have become angry with me when I bluntly called the theory of evolution GARBAGE. I'm very sad that some of these people were Christians. GOD told us everything we need to know about HIS CREATION, and GOD didn't need a bit of help from Charles Darwin. In my opinion, believing Darwin over GOD is calling GOD a liar, and there isn't any softer way to put this. I really have no desire to put this in softer terms. Christians who do this should feel great shame, especially when they realize they are casting doubt on the entire Bible, not just the parts that they dislike or think that scientists have a better and more logical explanation than GOD did and does.

Josprel, you just brought up another excellent facet for this discussion. Christian Fundamentalists will take the WORD of GOD over any other word and believe it every time. I'm thinking right now of many incredibly beautiful portions of Scripture that speak of the Might, Majesty, and Works of ALMIGHTY GOD. Many of the beautiful descriptions are beyond human imagination, and they should be. After all, the entire universe is HIS Handiwork, and we are just human beings. It is not for us to know the Full Might, Power, and Ways of our CREATOR. Scientists haven't unlocked all of GOD'S secrets from a single grain of sand, much less ALMIGHTY GOD'S CREATION.

I am in total awe of considering one sentence:  I am a possession of JESUS CHRIST and a child of the KING OF KINGS!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Josprel

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2006, 11:08:14 AM »

So you’re a fundamentalist, Pastor Rodgers.  Then, on that point we must agree to disagree, for I do not consider myself to be one, although I was brought up by fundamentist parents.  I do believe that the Bible is the verbally inspired Word of God, and without error in the original manuscripts.  I also believe that, at one point, the earth was protected by an envelope of water vapor that caused the deluge when it dissipated.  But for one to claim, as did the fundamentalist preacher I mentioned, that the earth still is encased in an envelope of water - not water vapor - which incidentally is contrary to obvious fact - strains incredulity.  What say you?

Josprel   

« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 11:13:18 AM by Josprel » Logged
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2006, 02:50:44 PM »

A water vapor may in fact be what it was as the Bible does say that a "mist went up". Creation scientists have been able to prove a hyperbaric condition in the lab would be the best and healthiest situation for all living things. As an example they grew standard tomatoes that normally only survive one year and reach a maximum of 3 to 5 feet in height. In the hyperbaric conditions the tomato plants lived for over three years, reached a height of 15 ft and produced 10 time more tomatoes of a larger size each.

Their idea of what of the condition was a "bubble" of hydrogen around the planet that trapped moisture and a higher level of oxygen under it. When the "bubble" broke the hydrogen combined with some of the oxygen forming (H20) the heavy rains. Now I agree that a lot of this is suppostion but it is based on what the Bible tells us and what the fossil and flood layers show. Whether it was as this says or an actual bubble of already formed water I don't know. I do know what the Bible tells us and to me it is definitely more of a possibility than the other aspects that some try to come up with as it is more in line with the Bible.

As for a "fundamentalist" believing the earth is still enveloped by a layer of water is overlooking the changes we are told of in the Bible that took place with Noah's flood and overlooking what is evident today in looking at it.

As is said in the posts above the word fundamentalist means many different things in todays language. A much different meaning than what it meant when the word was first started to be used by Christians. Now I agree that there are parables and such in the Bible that are not to be taken necessarily literal, there are meanings behind them instead of being given literally. However when God said He created all in 6 days and rested on the 7th that is exactly what He meant and it is evidenced by other references on creation throughout the Bible.

It is when people take the clear and evident things in the Bible and twist and turn them into something that is not there that they have removed themselves from the fundamentals of the Bible. Two of the most abused of these today is the preaching of "another Gospel" and then the support of evolution by some churches.

Josprel

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2006, 03:51:19 PM »

My thanks for your knowledgeable response.  And I wish you, the entire staff and each member of CUF a Christ-filled Christmas and a blessed year 2007. MARANATHA!

Josprel
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the